PDA

View Full Version : How long is the window for the lakers to win titles?

NBAfan83
06-15-2009, 01:39 AM
Depending on the off season moves the lakers make, I can see them being a legitimate title contender as long as they have kobe, pau and 1 more semi all star.

I'd put their number at 5, more than the C's and unfortunately the spurs.

One things for sure their window will be larger than the C, who won't be contending unless their big 3 take pay cuts and they can sign anyone of significance (not marbury...)

IronMexican
06-15-2009, 01:41 AM
If they sign Ariza and Odom, I'd say 5 years is a good number. Sasha and Luke would expire in that period and maybe some good role players could come in.

timvp
06-15-2009, 01:47 AM
The Lakers will always be contenders or close to contenders. A large percentage of players grow up wanting to play for the Lakers and that allows them to be the ultimate draw in free agency and trades. Add in that the Lakers offer the ultimate combination of marketing opportunities and nice places to live ... and there really should never be a time when the Lakers are down for too long.

It's only a matter of time before the Lakers pass the Celtics in the number of championships.

KidCongo
06-15-2009, 01:49 AM
Forever, we all know how many finals they've won or been too.

mytespurs
06-15-2009, 01:49 AM
The Lakers will always be contenders or close to contenders. A large percentage of players grow up wanting to play for the Lakers and that allows them to be the ultimate draw in free agency and trades. Add in that the Lakers offer the ultimate combination of marketing opportunities and nice places to live ... and there really should never be a time when the Lakers are down for too long.

It's only a matter of time before the Lakers pass the Celtics in the number of championships.

Very likely with this current lineup barring any significant injuries...only 2 behind the Celts now....great motivation for 3-peating!! :king

And the Lakers have great owner who only wants to win and will pay to bring the talent to LA to make them winners in contrast with the other tenant.... bumbling Clippers owner Donald Sterling.

21_Blessings
06-15-2009, 01:50 AM
Kobe will be playing at a high enough level for AT LEAST 3 seasons. After that Pau's contract is up. At that point it will depend how Bynum/Ariza look

IronMexican
06-15-2009, 01:52 AM
Kobe will be playing at a high enough level for AT LEAST 3 seasons. After that Pau's contract is up. At that point it will depend how Bynum/Ariza look

You really think either one of those guys is a #1 option? Ariza is a solid role player and creates a lot of thing. Bynum looks great, then he looks like shit. I doubt either one of those guys are #1 options. I'm pretty sure you will throw in his last 5 games before injury, but whatever.

JamStone
06-15-2009, 01:56 AM
With this particular core group of players, I say about 3-4 years where they are legitimate title contenders. But that doesn't guarantee anymore titles, just that they'll be legit contenders.

NBAfan83
06-15-2009, 02:03 AM
Ariza, I can't see as a #1,2 option.

Bynum on the other hand, is really a hit or miss, I still believe he will never prosper in LA, but I could be wrong.

crc21209
06-15-2009, 04:25 AM
Kobe has maybe 2-3 good/great yrs left in him. I think the Lakers future depends on the futures of Ariza and Odom. Because besides Kobe, Pau, Ariza, and Odom...the Lakers are trash.

timvp
06-15-2009, 06:44 AM

Kobe is overdue for a drop off in play. He's played more games than Duncan and there's no player in NBA history who has played as many games as he has without dropping off. If Kobe even goes another two more years, he'll have by far the longest prime in NBA history.

We'll see if he can stay near the top of his game. History says no but he might be able to do it.

21_Blessings
06-15-2009, 06:56 AM
The difference with Kobe is his game is already based on jump shooting. He isn't Lebron James where he scores on pure athleticism and size. I don't see why Kobe wouldn't be an effective jumpshooter from the perimeter and post within the next 5 seasons. Even Phil Jackson was quoted to say that he thinks Kobe will play at a high level until he's 36.

Then you factor in today's nutrition, training and you can't really compare it to players in past eras.

timvp
06-15-2009, 06:57 AM
The difference with Kobe is his game is already based on jump shooting. He isn't Lebron James where he scores on pure athleticism and size. I don't see why Kobe wouldn't be an effective jumpshooter from the perimeter and post within the next 5 seasons. Even Phil Jackson was quoted to say that he thinks Kobe will play at a high level until he's 36.

Then you factor in today's nutrition, training and you can't really compare it to players in past eras.

It's not comparing to LeBron or different eras. It's comparing to anyone ever.

21_Blessings
06-15-2009, 07:02 AM
Yeah but why are we using games played as an indicator here?

If you look at Kobe's numbers the past couple seasons they are very similar to Jordan's at a similar age. No reason to think Kobe won't be playing at an elite level until at least 34. After that he'd still probably be good for at least 20-24 points a games with much less defensively/rebounding wise.

Ghazi
06-15-2009, 07:08 AM
3-4 years

JamStone
06-15-2009, 07:59 AM
Kobe is overdue for a drop off in play. He's played more games than Duncan and there's no player in NBA history who has played as many games as he has without dropping off.

Karl Malone. And like Malone, Kobe is a freak about his body and conditioning.

Capt Bringdown
06-15-2009, 08:37 AM
Kobe is overdue for a drop off in play. He's played more games than Duncan and there's no player in NBA history who has played as many games as he has without dropping off.

I find the "games played" argument a bit strange. Games played do not diminish the greatness of a player. A basketball career is not like a bar of soap - the more you use it, the smaller it gets.

It's about staying healthy, not games played. There's not a one-to-one correlation between games played and diminished ability.

BUMP
06-15-2009, 08:45 AM
Kobe definitely has the ability to stay good for a long time.

While he may be a douchebag, there's no diminishing his hunger and work ethic. It goes unmatched in today's game

Dex
06-15-2009, 10:10 AM
Kobe is overdue for a drop off in play. He's played more games than Duncan and there's no player in NBA history who has played as many games as he has without dropping off. If Kobe even goes another two more years, he'll have by far the longest prime in NBA history.

We'll see if he can stay near the top of his game. History says no but he might be able to do it.

This year's playoffs was the first time I remember seeing Kobe get winded and physically spent.

The two things that really come to mind are Game 3 in Orlando (putting up 20 points in the first, only to trail off and miss a handful of free throws late), and Game 3 in Denver when he looked like he was about to pass out on the court. Props to him for leavin' it all on the floor, but it's just surprising because I don't think I'd ever seen Kobe's tank hit "E" before.

mojorizen7
06-15-2009, 10:53 AM
It depends on PJ