PDA

View Full Version : LA's title makes me appreciate being a Spurs fan..

HarlemHeat37
06-15-2009, 12:42 PM
honestly, our titles just feel better..we watched our core grow up together, we play in a market that has to work to attract free agents, we don't get the benefit from anybody..

I don't see the point of being a Lakers fan TBH..their franchise success is entirely based on the location of their city..they acquired Kareem because he wanted to play in the big city, Kobe demanded to be drafted there, Shaq signed there due to the location and they flipped him for Gasol..they also benefit from having Jerry West involved with the organization..

I don't see how that could be entertaining, unless you live there obviously..that's a moot point though, since most of their fans are bandwagoners..

another thing is that our franchise has built our team around 2 of the classiest superstars in NBA history..the Spurs represent the good in sports..the youth can look up to Tim Duncan and David Robinson, they represent positivity and success..

the Lakers are built around classless, disgusting individuals..Magic Johnson is an adulterer with HIV..Kobe is an alleged rapist that throws teammates under the bus, snitches on teammates, publicly calls out the team, gives up on his team in a game 7..just a horrible person in general..

I don't know about you guys, but I wouldn't feel comfortable cheering for a team that has a direct advantage over every other team, and markets guys like Kobe..

21_Blessings
06-15-2009, 12:48 PM
bitter tears thread

EricB
06-15-2009, 12:58 PM
Whatever makes you feel better harlem.

RodNIc91
06-15-2009, 01:07 PM
honestly, our titles just feel better..we watched our core grow up together, we play in a market that has to work to attract free agents, we don't get the benefit from anybody..

I don't see the point of being a Lakers fan TBH..their franchise success is entirely based on the location of their city..they acquired Kareem because he wanted to play in the big city, Kobe demanded to be drafted there, Shaq signed there due to the location and they flipped him for Gasol..they also benefit from having Jerry West involved with the organization..

I don't see how that could be entertaining, unless you live there obviously..that's a moot point though, since most of their fans are bandwagoners..

another thing is that our franchise has built our team around 2 of the classiest superstars in NBA history..the Spurs represent the good in sports..the youth can look up to Tim Duncan and David Robinson, they represent positivity and success..

the Lakers are built around classless, disgusting individuals..Magic Johnson is an adulterer with HIV..Kobe is an alleged rapist that throws teammates under the bus, snitches on teammates, publicly calls out the team, gives up on his team in a game 7..just a horrible person in general..

I don't know about you guys, but I wouldn't feel comfortable cheering for a team that has a direct advantage over every other team, and markets guys like Kobe..

I agree to some extent. Definitely I think our titles feel better, because our effort in terms of business decisions along with basketball opperations is very rewarding given that we are a small market, we care for the person himself rather than just the player, and all the other reasons. Somehow we always find ways to be a contending team.

However I think that you are just plainly whining about being succesful. Maybe they were not the most consistent team, nor the team with less drama going around. But they were straight out the best throughout the year and one of the great franchises throughout the years; they also know how to win. The difference is how both teams (Spurs and lakers) attempt to reach the goal. But I agree with you, all those factors you've mentioned make me proud of cheering a team which manages itself 100% professionally.

HarlemHeat37
06-15-2009, 01:10 PM
I never said the Lakers weren't the best, they clearly were..

They obviously have the advantage over other teams due to the location of their city though..their management really doesn't have to do all that much to succeed, and it's been like that throughout history..

There's nothing that anybody can do about that, I would just find it boring, maybe that's just me though..I find the Spurs success to be much more rewarding, considering the circumstances..the Spurs have a family feel, and more of an "against all odds" feel..

it feels a lot better to cheer for class acts, at least IMO..

mytespurs
06-15-2009, 01:14 PM
I appreciate all what the Spurs have done as well but I certainly wouldn't knock LA's success.

Jerry Buss is a great owner-he cares about winning-he hires the right people to bring in the right type of players to win and the results have been championships. I think most players would prefer to play for this type of owner (the $$$ doesn't hurt), in a major market. LA will always have dibs on getting the best....can't fight that.

Still, as a Spurs fan, I'm impressed with what we have accomplished as well. It's all good! :king

IronMexican
06-15-2009, 01:15 PM

They obviously have the advantage over other teams due to the location of their city though..their management really doesn't have to do all that much to succeed, and it's been like that throughout history..

There's nothing that anybody can do about that, I would just find it boring, maybe that's just me though..I find the Spurs success to be much more rewarding, considering the circumstances..the Spurs have a family feel, and more of an "against all odds" feel..

LA is more of a hot spot than SA? Who would have thunk.

HarlemHeat37
06-15-2009, 01:16 PM
Jerry Buss and Lakers ownership deserves a lot of credit..if they hadn't made Kobe a rich man that played for the Lakers, he would probably be in prison right now, serving a long sentence..

CubanSucks
06-15-2009, 01:19 PM

Oh, Gee!!
06-15-2009, 01:22 PM
I find the Spurs success to be much more rewarding

me too. maybe it's cuz we're Spurs fans?

dbestpro
06-15-2009, 01:22 PM
Props to Lakers they won in a down year for the NBA just like the Spurs did with the shortened season. Don't really feel the NBA got better than the Spurs. The Spurs just started playing at the level of everyone else or even less. The Lakers in the end are the last team standing and that is enough to win a ring but not enough to justify burning down your town.

DrHouse
06-15-2009, 01:24 PM
Crocodile tears for you Harlem

EricB
06-15-2009, 01:24 PM
The only thing that would embarass me as a Laker fan, is everytime the team wins, its fans want to tear the city apart.

Its pathetic.

IronMexican
06-15-2009, 01:26 PM
The only thing that would embarass me as a Laker fan, is everytime the team wins, its fans want to tear the city apart.

Its pathetic.

We didn't tear the city apart in 2001 or 2002.

CubanSucks
06-15-2009, 01:29 PM

That's cause it was probably still torn down from 2000.

EricB
06-15-2009, 01:32 PM

Because the City asked the army to come in with machine guns.

Again, ask yourself "Should I be proud that my fellow fan base needs millitary support to control them from tearing the city apart after winning a goddamn sporting event?"

Please, justify that, I defy you.

EricB
06-15-2009, 01:33 PM
That's cause it was probably still torn down from 2000.

Gotta be proud of destroying a cop car.

Nearby businesses last night were looted.

Good old Laker fans. Gotta be proud.

EricB
06-15-2009, 01:34 PM
http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/2879/pjten.jpg

So since the Cavs might get Shaq, will he go coach them now? I mean he needs a team that is already good so he can gravy train off of them.

I've heard from some people that he might retire.

EricB
06-15-2009, 01:35 PM
HAHA

Classless team with a rapist as a leader along with the classless fans equals a riot.:lmao

Its pathetic.

They cut into the news last night to show these fucking morons busting storefront windows and stealing stuff.

Throwing bricks, destroying people's cars.

Laker fan, were more violent and just as retarded as Maverick fan.

Ghazi
06-15-2009, 01:36 PM
Cest la Vie.

EricB
Unless there is a team that is almost a shoe in for the NBA Finals. He's the most overrated coach ever...I mean I think I could of took Jordan and Pippen and Shaq and Kobe to the promise land.

Eh I disagree, he's a damn good coach.

xtremesteven33

:worthy:

IronMexican
Because the City asked the army to come in with machine guns.

Again, ask yourself "Should I be proud that my fellow fan base needs millitary support to control them from tearing the city apart after winning a goddamn sporting event?"

Please, justify that, I defy you.

I love it. Riots are awesome to be in, or watch on TV.

SpurOutofTownFan
06-15-2009, 01:39 PM
I definitely have to agree with some of the poster's comments. Not all though, but enough to agree on some points and reasons why I'm not a Lakers fan and will probably never be. I don't live in SA; however, that franchise is THE MODEL of modern sports; like it or not. I like to be associated in some way to that.

TDomination
06-15-2009, 01:48 PM
I'm sure it felt really good for laker fans to win it this year after going 7 years without winning. Especially since they had gone to the finals twice and lost.

I don't care for them so it doesn't feel special to me at all. Of course, the spurs championships felt truly special but thats because i follow them.

Though i understand what you're saying.

IronMexican
06-15-2009, 01:51 PM
This was a typical Laker fan vs spurfan debate before yesterday

Spur fan: 4 rings
Laker fan: 14 rings
spur fan: well, the Lakers haven't won one in 7 years
Laker fan: the Lakers still have more rings

This is what it will sound like now
Spur fan: 4 rings
Laker fan: 15 rings
spur fan: the Lakers FINALLY win a title after 7 years. about time
Laker fan: It's been two years since the Spurs won one.

nevitt_&_smrek
06-15-2009, 02:03 PM
Spurs organization should be commended for its success over the past 25-30 years. Mgmt has made some quality personnel decisions, though it was helped greatly by having won the lottery in no-brainer years.

While being in a big market helps, it guarantees nothing. Not all big market teams succeed. You still need a vision, a solid plan, and execute it. Of course a little luck helps along the way, but that goes for anybody in life.

Labeling Magic Johnson as an adulterer is incorrect. Yes he made some bad choices and slept with who knows how many women during his playing days. But he was never married at the time.

dbestpro
06-15-2009, 02:05 PM
I can see it now. Road Warrior Returns, Beyond the Coliseum. The promo will go.

The city of Angels lie in Ruin as a Rapist will lead them to destroy all that they own while robbing the piggy bank of his minimum wage nanny. Where is the Road Warrior? Can he arrive by 2010 to save the city from itself? Will there be anything left to save? Is ti worth saving to begin with?

Kermit
06-15-2009, 02:33 PM
Magic Johnson is an adulterer with HIV

HIV? You mean the strain that causes you to gain weight, make your head expand, and raise your net worth to almost a billion dollars? Where can I get me some of that?

Mel_13
06-15-2009, 02:40 PM
HIV? You mean the strain that causes you to gain weight, make your head expand, and raise your net worth to almost a billion dollars? Where can I get me some of that?

It is so tempting to provide the answer to that question.....

Duncan2177
06-15-2009, 03:17 PM
Props to Lakers they won in a down year for the NBA just like the Spurs did with the shortened season. Don't really feel the NBA got better than the Spurs. The Spurs just started playing at the level of everyone else or even less. The Lakers in the end are the last team standing and that is enough to win a ring but not enough to justify burning down your town.

:tu

Duncan2177
06-15-2009, 03:25 PM
I love it. Riots are awesome to be in, or watch on TV.

Breaking the law and rioting in your community is awesome? Your fucken crazy

CubanSucks
06-15-2009, 03:51 PM
Me and BenJarvus are about to go to LA to mark out a couple names on our hit list (kobe and phil). Anyone else wanna come? Don't worry BenJarvus I'll pay for the plane tickets

Mike Smrek
06-15-2009, 04:36 PM
Spurs organization should be commended for its success over the past 25-30 years. Mgmt has made some quality personnel decisions, though it was helped greatly by having won the lottery in no-brainer years.

While being in a big market helps, it guarantees nothing. Not all big market teams succeed. You still need a vision, a solid plan, and execute it. Of course a little luck helps along the way, but that goes for anybody in life.

Labeling Magic Johnson as an adulterer is incorrect. Yes he made some bad choices and slept with who knows how many women during his playing days. But he was never married at the time.

It's part of his schtick. He's not interested in facts.

Nice user name, by the way.

Mike Smrek
06-15-2009, 04:41 PM
let's see him do what Larry Brown did for the Bobcats...let's see him build a team like Pop and take them all the way 4 times..until then he is just a gravy training coach that finds the teams that are already good and rides their coattails to a championship. Why do think he retired a few yrs ago?? B/c LA was rebuilding and had no chance of winning it all. Then when they started getting better players he decided to come back.

Because Tim Duncan, David Robinson, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili, not to mention second-tier/role players like Sean Elliott, Robert Horry, Mario Elie and Stephen Jackson all just suck, don't they? However could those clowns have won without the genius of Popovich?

(And I respect Popovich immensely, by the way. But he didn't do anything that Jackson hasn't more than twice as many times by providing talented teams the structure and cohesion to come through in key moments of the postseason. That's all that any coach can do, and both are outstanding at it.)

If you want to bitch about a gravy-trainer, go look at Mike Brown, who proved completely incapable of making key adjustments when his team's season was slipping away. Jackson has put his team in position to be successful time and time and time again.

Plus, Jackson came back when they were still on the downturn, getting run out of the first round of the playoffs by Phoenix. There was no guarantee this team was going to win any more titles after he came back. He did his part to make sure it did.

cornbread
06-15-2009, 04:55 PM
The big market advantage has certainly worked for the Knicks.

Mike Smrek
06-15-2009, 05:01 PM
Just as the draw of Los Angeles has helped the Clippers.

all_heart
06-15-2009, 05:27 PM
It would have meant more for LA if they had to beat a healthy Spurs team and or a healthy Celtics squad. If they would have beat the Celtics, the whole city would be destroyed from top to bottom...

either way FTL!

DrHouse
06-15-2009, 06:15 PM
The Lakers are so dominant because they have stellar ownership, great coaches, a fantastic FA location, and the luck to draft some incredible talent. From top to bottom the Lakeshow is the class of the NBA.

Muser
06-15-2009, 06:31 PM

:lol

HarlemHeat37
06-15-2009, 07:34 PM
The Knicks are a big market, but New York isn't a desirable city..I live in New York, and I love it to death, but if I was a rich athlete, I would never wanna play here..we have pretty bad weather, and it's not somewhere that would interest me..the media is also more annoying than anywhere else, and fans here put way too much pressure on the athletes..

why would you want to play for the Clippers when you can play for the Lakers?..that's what Kobe was choosing between..the Clippers also lost their potential attractiveness over 20 years ago with the bad luck, leading to the curse of their franchise..

Kareem demanded to be a Laker, so did Kobe, so did Shaq..those 3 combined directly had a huge part in 8 titles for the Lakers..if you consider Shaq being traded for what eventually became the Gasol deal, that would be 9 titles..

that's a lot of work to do for their management, uh? LOL..

the lack of class is the other part..I've already mentioned Kobe, but Phil Jackson is almost as bad..I've never seen a guy involve himself in so many places that he doesn't belong..

DrHouse
06-15-2009, 08:51 PM
Actually the only one showing a lack of class is you Harlem. You just can't let it go that the Lakers won. Everyone else has begrudgingly given their props and STFU, I suggest you do the same.

Oh and,

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e52/ominousinane/el1oo2.jpg

CubanSucks
06-15-2009, 09:26 PM
Actually the only one showing a lack of class is you Harlem. You just can't let it go that the Lakers won. Everyone else has begrudgingly given their props and STFU, I suggest you do the same.

Oh and,

:lol It's so funny how short of a memory people can have. Just 2 years ago your golden boy wanted to leave LA. When the chips were down for your organization yalls "team player" whined like a little bitch. So be happy and enjoy yalls championship with the thought in the back of you mind that your superstar doesn't even really give a fuck about your city. :toast

benefactor
06-15-2009, 09:28 PM

Oh and,

http://www.rankopedia.com/CandidatePix/25780.gif
http://en.ce.cn/sports/basketball/200706/15/W020070615495759596830.jpg

Nope...and the last time I checked both of these guys are still on our roster.

lol 2005
lol refusing to shoot in a game 7

Jacko
06-15-2009, 09:34 PM
2009 nba champions - los angeles lakers

2009 1st round losers - san antonio spurs

u4lakers14
06-15-2009, 09:39 PM
:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

SouthTexasRancher
06-15-2009, 10:19 PM

Well said...!!!

Udokafan05
06-15-2009, 10:35 PM

Well, i guess 2 out of 15 isnt bad.:lol

spursncowboys
06-15-2009, 11:08 PM

I couldn't say it better. Also do not forget how all the Laker fans were talking about how they weren't fans anymore because of Kobe. Then he rapes a teenage girl and they fall back in love with him!!!!!

spursncowboys
06-15-2009, 11:09 PM
http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2009/0523/20090523_094132_NugsLAfan052309.jpg What was it you said about the Laker fans and class?

underdawg
06-15-2009, 11:27 PM
it's kind of like when the yankees win - wow after so many breaks and so much money spent on a championship you won? Great - let's move on to the next team that deserves it.

Mike Smrek
06-16-2009, 12:23 AM
Like Clint Eastwood said in Unforgiven, deserve's got nothing to do with it. You're either good enough to win it or you aren't, and the Lakers were for the fourth time this decade and 15th overall.

And I love all this pontification about Spurs class. Isn't this the same organization that employs George Gervin, one of the poster boys for the NBA's rampant drug abuse during the 70s and 80s, as a community ambassador?

Which is fine; he seems like a good guy who turned his life around. Good for him. But how is that any different than ragging on Magic, one of the most beloved players in league history, and Bryant, whose case didn't even make it to trial?

I mean, let's throw Peter Holt under the bus too. Never mind that he got his disease in check. He used to be a drunk, so by the aforementioned standards we should have just burned him at the stake.

underdawg
06-16-2009, 12:43 AM
Like Clint Eastwood said in Unforgiven, deserve's got nothing to do with it. You're either good enough to win it or you aren't, and the Lakers were for the fourth time this decade and 15th overall.

And I love all this pontification about Spurs class. Isn't this the same organization that employs George Gervin, one of the poster boys for the NBA's rampant drug abuse during the 70s and 80s, as a community ambassador?

Which is fine; he seems like a good guy who turned his life around. Good for him. But how is that any different than ragging on Magic, one of the most beloved players in league history, and Bryant, whose case didn't even make it to trial?

I mean, let's throw Peter Holt under the bus too. Never mind that he got his disease in check. He used to be a drunk, so by the aforementioned standards we should have just burned him at the stake.

Is Gervin still doing drugs? Is Holt still liquoring it up? I don't know honestly, but I do know that the Spurs are a class organization and they've succeeded in an atmostphere where the "big boys" usually have the upper hand. Don't get me wrong - the Lakers were obviously the better team and they won the championship, but it's not that big of a surprise. If I'm a Lakers fan, I expect a championship every year given their situation. The Spurs (or any other small market team) are very fortunate to win a ring any year given their situation. Point being - y'all won but it's a lot more expected than our insignificant team.

playaslk
06-16-2009, 01:00 AM
Is Gervin still doing drugs? Is Holt still liquoring it up? I don't know honestly, but I do know that the Spurs are a class organization and they've succeeded in an atmostphere where the "big boys" usually have the upper hand. Don't get me wrong - the Lakers were obviously the better team and they won the championship, but it's not that big of a surprise. If I'm a Lakers fan, I expect a championship every year given their situation. The Spurs (or any other small market team) are very fortunate to win a ring any year given their situation. Point being - y'all won but it's a lot more expected than our insignificant team.
Stop the bullshit

The "small market team" only goes far in baseball. We are under this thing called the SALARY CAP. If you want to spend over it, its gonna cost you double.

If the owner doesnt spend to the cap, who's fault is that? Did you guys really stoop to the level of saying "LA is a more fun city, so they have a huge advantage"? We arent talking about the Yanks and the Pirates here. Next thing, you are going to say that LA has more young girls, thats why Kobe is still playing there. Give it up. The advantage of playing in LA is very small compared to the advantage of WINNING. Yes the spurs won, and props to your team, but Garnett and Allen went to Boston, a city with SHIT for weather and pretty racist fans... your agrument holds no water.

Provided the city your team is in is not a fluid factor, NBA, NFL and now hockey have it pretty close to =. Baseball is still dumb w/ their 200m payrolls v 40.

Get over your salty nuts and enjoy your decade of success.

By the way, remind me what advantage do the clippers enjoy? except for being in the lottery year after year.

underdawg
06-16-2009, 01:12 AM
Stop the bullshit

The "small market team" only goes far in baseball. We are under this thing called the SALARY CAP. If you want to spend over it, its gonna cost you double.

If the owner doesnt spend to the cap, who's fault is that? Did you guys really stoop to the level of saying "LA is a more fun city, so they have a huge advantage"? We arent talking about the Yanks and the Pirates here. Next thing, you are going to say that LA has more young girls, thats why Kobe is still playing there. Give it up. The advantage of playing in LA is very small compared to the advantage of WINNING. Yes the spurs won, and props to your team, but Garnett and Allen went to Boston, a city with SHIT for weather and pretty racist fans... your agrument holds no water.

Provided the city your team is in is not a fluid factor, NBA, NFL and now hockey have it pretty close to =. Baseball is still dumb w/ their 200m payrolls v 40.

Get over your salty nuts and enjoy your decade of success.

By the way, remind me what advantage do the clippers enjoy? except for being in the lottery year after year.

Good points, but a player's "marketability" is hindered by being in a small market - hence the idea that playing in a big market leads to more cash. Add to that there's no revenue sharing in the NBA and the larger markets have access to more lucrative local TV deals - how does this affect a player? A big market team is more likely to go over the cap to appease their fanbase. To suggest that a small market team has the same opportunities as a big market team in the NBA is a pretty much ignorant. Why is there ever talk about Lebron going to New York if all things are equal?

playaslk
06-16-2009, 01:17 AM
Good points, but a player's "marketability" is hindered by being in a small market - hence the idea that playing in a big market leads to more cash. Add to that there's no revenue sharing in the NBA and the larger markets have access to more lucrative local TV deals - how does this affect a player? A big market team is more likely to go over the cap to appease their fanbase. To suggest that a small market team has the same opportunities as a big market team in the NBA is a pretty much ignorant. Why is there ever talk about Lebron going to New York if all things are equal?

Lebron to New York talk is there because a. new york is obviously a place where he would get marketed much more (and its much better for the league) BUT the reason why that talk is going on is....

BECAUSE HE HAS NO WINS IN CLEVELAND. All of the new york talks are predicated on cleveland not building a good team around him.

If a big city is so good, where has chicago been before/after MJ. How about Miami *yes they won it but that was a fluke w/ Shaq and most importantly refs but now they suck...? New York? Clippers?

WINNING is most important to players, not the city you are in.

Lakers999
06-16-2009, 01:30 AM
you know the sad part is that some of you guys are actually are childish and bitter. and i have come to the conclusion that HarlemHeat37... much like many posters here from both sides are nothing more than mere Bandwagoners.

A few months ago i had a freindly banter with some "REAL" spurs fans that have enlightened me for shit talking the 99 season. did they stop shit talking the lakers? no... did they kept talking trash on the lakers? yes... did they give me any respect on the board? no... do they get my respect? yes... why? becuase they know spurs team from the inside out dating back to the ABA days AND they know everything about their hated rival...The Lakers.

Harlem37Heat? if you are looking for attention then you have succeded. if you are looking for respect then try harder..... you can start by reading up on your history and find out who really drafted kobe bryant in 96

TDMVPDPOY
06-16-2009, 01:57 AM
i think i prefer the 4 rings, then be reminded of the ball hogging choke job in 03/04 against the pistons or the 40pt blowout in 08 finals against the celtics....

Horry For 3!
06-16-2009, 02:05 AM
Lakers and Laker fans are pieces of shit. California in a whole is a piece of shit.

Lakers999
06-16-2009, 02:09 AM
i think i prefer the 4 rings, then be reminded of the ball hogging choke job in 03/04 against the pistons or the 40pt blowout in 08 finals against the celtics....

well... considering detroit made ECF 5 times after.... that "choke":rolleyes wasnt too hard to forget..

and

considering boston was missing its most defensive player.... just like the lakers were last year... that wasnt too hard to swallow either....

btw... Boston will back in the finals next year

Lakers999
06-16-2009, 02:13 AM
Lakers and Laker fans are pieces of shit. California in a whole is a piece of shit.

really? have you even been here? have met anyone from los angeles or cali? I dont think so....

BTW

i think texas is awesome... great weather, hot women, DT austin, the longhorns, and whataburger make texas a great place....

i feel really bad for true texans that they are represented by dumb fucks like yourself...

you actually belong in oklahoma.... GO Thunder :rolleyes

21_Blessings
06-16-2009, 05:13 AM

And the Clippers.

The Lakers benefit more from their rich history and stellar ownership than they do by being located in a big market. If push came to shove, most superstars would rather live in Florida than LA anyways. No state tax compared to one of the most heavily taxed regions in the world (southern cali).

draft87
06-16-2009, 06:04 AM
la is the best city in the world. san antonio is not.
go lakers go

TJastal
06-16-2009, 06:22 AM
I do get the point of this thread. The Lakers used to be much more classy a few decades ago when it was Pat Riley, Magic, Kareem and Worthy running the showtime. Must have been so easy to cheer and be a fan for those laker teams.

Nowadays with the lakers, you have immorality (Kobe), favoritism from the refs on a regular basis (since Stern took over), the king of flopping (Derek Fisher), dirty players like Kobe/Ariza who took cheap shots on other players all year long, cockiness and arrogance in abundance, questionable dealings w/ free agent pickups (see: Gasol and Fisher), whiny soft players (Gasol), Phil Jackson and his penchant for crying to the media every time calls don't go his way, retarded celebrities at Staples that know nothing about the game of basketball (well i guess they've always been there haha), Sasha Vujabitch (no explanation needed), and... well you get the point.

I give mad props to all you current laker fans (the ones who aren't on the bandwagon) you all must be some great fans to be able to cheer this current laker regime on. I know I could not do it.

spurspokesman
06-16-2009, 06:46 AM

Say no more heat.I agree. I'm not from san antonio and I always liked drob and the way the spurs ran things. When tim came it was the icing on the cake and I enjoyed nothing more than having the chance to see them wipe the floor with la(after getting whooped by them and losing lumps of cash)and win titles. Its easier to be an la or boston fan. Real fans like the underdogs that do it all through blood sweat and tear. Not hollywood laker lights.

Bukefal
06-16-2009, 07:00 AM
Amen to that!! You are exactly right! Ooooohhhh it''s so good to be a spurs fan. Fan of a real team, with spirit, glory and pride, based on hard working and motivation. Not an artificial faker team. :toast:

Mike Smrek
06-16-2009, 11:10 AM
I do get the point of this thread. The Lakers used to be much more classy a few decades ago when it was Pat Riley, Magic, Kareem and Worthy running the showtime. Must have been so easy to cheer and be a fan for those laker teams.

Nowadays with the lakers, you have immorality (Kobe), favoritism from the refs on a regular basis (since Stern took over), the king of flopping (Derek Fisher), dirty players like Kobe/Ariza who took cheap shots on other players all year long, cockiness and arrogance in abundance, questionable dealings w/ free agent pickups (see: Gasol and Fisher), whiny soft players (Gasol), Phil Jackson and his penchant for crying to the media every time calls don't go his way, retarded celebrities at Staples that know nothing about the game of basketball (well i guess they've always been there haha), Sasha Vujabitch (no explanation needed), and... well you get the point.

I give mad props to all you current laker fans (the ones who aren't on the bandwagon) you all must be some great fans to be able to cheer this current laker regime on. I know I could not do it.

Sure you could. It wasn't so long ago that San Antonio's franchise players were the Snowman, er, Iceman, and Alvin Robertson, who's been arrested however many times for domestic violence. Those guys drew their fair share of cheers and adulation.

So many self-righteous Spurs fans love to think their franchise is special and unique -- and in so many respects it is. Easily one of the most successful and well-run franchises in all of American professional sports. They deserve every ounce of credit they get.

But from the standpoint of "class" -- please. Do you think the Spurs drafted David Robinson because he was classy and religious, or because he was a freakish 7-footer and easily the best player in his draft class? Do you think the Spurs drafted Tim Duncan because he was a good citizen, or because he was a ready-made All-Star and one of the best big men to come out of college in the past 30 or 40 years?

The fact that they happened to be just as good off the court as they were on was a mere fringe benefit. The Spurs still would have taken both, and lavished 10s of millions of dollars on them, if they'd had red flags and arrest warrants shooting out of their ass. Why? Because they were ridiculously good players.

So you can keep fooling yourselves all you want about the Spurs having some mandate to emphasize character over talent, because it's complete bullshit.

Think about it another way -- let's say the Spurs had had an opportunity to pick up Kobe a few years back without gutting the team when he was demanding a trade. Do any of you honestly think they would have turned that down? If you do, you've got a brain the size of a pea.

Mike Smrek
06-16-2009, 11:18 AM
Say no more heat.I agree. I'm not from san antonio and I always liked drob and the way the spurs ran things. When tim came it was the icing on the cake and I enjoyed nothing more than having the chance to see them wipe the floor with la(after getting whooped by them and losing lumps of cash)and win titles. Its easier to be an la or boston fan. Real fans like the underdogs that do it all through blood sweat and tear. Not hollywood laker lights.

Does cheating to sign recruits count as blood, sweat and tears? Just checking...

Mike Smrek
06-16-2009, 11:32 AM

Nobody could ever argue that the Spurs aren't a tremendously well-run franchise, and that they don't have built-in disadvantages inherent with being located in a small market. Those are certainly major obstacles to surmount.

But should the Lakers apologize for running things well themselves? For being located in a large, warm-weather city? For providing one of the brightest stages to play in all of sports? For having arguably the largest fan base of any NBA franchise? For having the ability to bring in more cash than the majority of their opponents? For having a rich tradition and history of success?

In two words: Fuck no. I love the fact my favorite team has those kind of advantages, and it would be the epitome of idiocy if they didn't use them to the absolute maximum.

Just be thankful your team plays in a league that at least tries to level the playing field with a salary cap. Without that, the Spurs wouldn't be nearly as good as they are and they'd have left town a long, long time ago.

rayray2k8
06-16-2009, 11:41 AM
Wow, did you actually bet on Orlando to make you sound so bitter?
There's still 2010. Which ever 2 of the teams wins it, assuming it's either the spurs or lakers, they'll be the team of the decade.
If it's the spurs, then you can be proud.

DrHouse
06-16-2009, 11:45 AM
Nobody could ever argue that the Spurs aren't a tremendously well-run franchise, and that they don't have built-in disadvantages inherent with being located in a small market. Those are certainly major obstacles to surmount.

But should the Lakers apologize for running things well themselves? For being located in a large, warm-weather city? For providing one of the brightest stages to play in all of sports? For having arguably the largest fan base of any NBA franchise? For having the ability to bring in more cash than the majority of their opponents? For having a rich tradition and history of success?

In two words: Fuck no. I love the fact my favorite team has those kind of advantages, and it would be the epitome of idiocy if they didn't use them to the absolute maximum.

Just be thankful your team plays in a league that at least tries to level the playing field with a salary cap. Without that, the Spurs wouldn't be nearly as good as they are and they'd have left town a long, long time ago.

/thread

Spur fan SHUT YOUR MOUTH and accept the fact that the Lakers won the title fair and square and were the best team in the NBA this season. You fuckers talk about class but none of you can even be gracious in defeat and just give deserved props like everyone else.

HORNSWOGGLE
06-16-2009, 11:53 AM
/thread

Spur fan SHUT YOUR MOUTH and accept the fact that the Lakers won the title fair and square and were the best team in the NBA this season. You fuckers talk about class but none of you can even be gracious in defeat and just give deserved props like everyone else.
you dont want to hear it, then get the fuck out:lol

SteelerNation
06-16-2009, 12:06 PM
Now this cracks me up. The Spurs have had Dennis Rodman, Rod Strickland, George Gervin, Alvin Robertson and a slew of other characters that have questionable pasts. But what about their head coach? Old Popovich stuck a knife in Bob Hills back and fired him right when Robinson was coming back off injury. Talk about a snake in the grass. And to all those who talk about Phil having the best talent, blah, blah, blah...and saying they could have coached those teams to championships...what about the Spurs. Everyone says Tim Duncan is the best power forward to ever play. I could have coached that guy to 6 titles by now. Whats Pop's excuse?

HORNSWOGGLE
06-16-2009, 12:14 PM
I could have coached that guy to 6 titles by now. Whats Pop's excuse?
why dont you then?

Stringer_Bell
06-16-2009, 12:21 PM
I've also come to appreciate Pop's coaching style (not decisions, but style) more than Jackson's.

I get the impression Jackson views the opposing team as dogs biting at the heels of Lakers greatness, and that those teams don't have enough to stop the Lakers from doing whatever they want...sort of like the Lakers are merely fulfilling a prophecy with every win. In contrast, Pop always seems to coach his players with the mindset that the other team is good and the Spurs have to find a way to be better. It doesn't matter the record, location of game, which stars are playing...every team is dangerous and the Spurs have to find a way to adapt. I don't mean to take anything away from the Lakers players...many great players that would be good anywhere, but without the Gasol trade it wouldn't be possible. Lakers organization caught a huge break with that, and without it everyone would still be talking about how the owners couldn't make Kobe happy.

Doesn't always work out for the Spurs, but I'd rather see my team fight to survive than take it for granted that they are the pre-ordained Champions.

Mike Smrek
06-16-2009, 12:25 PM
Now this cracks me up. The Spurs have had Dennis Rodman, Rod Strickland, George Gervin, Alvin Robertson and a slew of other characters that have questionable pasts. But what about their head coach? Old Popovich stuck a knife in Bob Hills back and fired him right when Robinson was coming back off injury. Talk about a snake in the grass. And to all those who talk about Phil having the best talent, blah, blah, blah...and saying they could have coached those teams to championships...what about the Spurs. Everyone says Tim Duncan is the best power forward to ever play. I could have coached that guy to 6 titles by now. Whats Pop's excuse?

Rodman...how the fuck could I forget Rodman?!?! He had San Antonio absolutely eating out of the palm of his hand...

SteelerNation
06-16-2009, 12:28 PM
why dont you then?

Your FO doesnt want to win so they wont hire me. These are the same guys who didnt want to give up Mason and Hill for Vince Carter.(along with a large number of Spurs fans) And then ya'll want to turn around and say the Lakers got a steal with Gasol. What do you think that Carter trade would have been for you? Spurs would have definately made it further in the playoffs and could shop Ginobilli right now with Carter being your new wingman. So dont give me all this holier than thou bullshit when it comes to the Spurs. You've had your chances to upgrade and had plenty of shady dealings and players in your past as well.

SteelerNation
06-16-2009, 12:31 PM
Rodman...how the fuck could I forget Rodman?!?! He had San Antonio absolutely eating out of the palm of his hand...

And dont forget they traded Sean to get him. A straight arrow if there ever was one. What does that say about their front office character?

IronMexican
06-16-2009, 12:31 PM
Fuck the Steelers.

SteelerNation
06-16-2009, 12:32 PM
Fuck the Steelers.

Someone's gotta be the best.

HORNSWOGGLE
06-16-2009, 12:34 PM
And dont forget they traded Sean Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_ to get him. A straight arrow if there ever was one. What does that say about their front office character?
:lol:lol

IronMexican
06-16-2009, 12:35 PM
Someone's gotta be the best.

son the Raiders play the AFC North this year. They gonna smash that ass. Asomugha embarrassed Big Ben back in 2006.

SteelerNation
06-16-2009, 12:37 PM
son the Raiders play the AFC North this year. They gonna smash that ass. Asomugha embarrassed Big Ben back in 2006.

Dont go betting on that. You guys have Russell as QB and passed on Crabtree, that should tell you all you need to know. Raiders wont be relevant again for at least another 10-20 years.

samikeyp
06-16-2009, 12:56 PM
Watching the Spurs play for 30+ years makes me appreciate being a Spurs fan. Why does it matter what another team does? However, if you believe trying to find flaws with another team's title makes you feel better about how the Spurs did this year...knock yourself out.

ambchang
06-16-2009, 01:57 PM

Pop never slept with his bosses daughter. If he did, he would have won 15 rings by now.

Duncan2177
06-16-2009, 02:09 PM
Pop never slept with his bosses daughter. If he did, he would have won 15 rings by now.

:tu :lol

cornbread
06-16-2009, 03:43 PM
Watching the Spurs play for 30+ years makes me appreciate being a Spurs fan. Why does it matter what another team does? However, if you believe trying to find flaws with another team's title makes you feel better about how the Spurs did this year...knock yourself out.

+1

Well, for 20+ years in my case. :lol

romain.star
06-16-2009, 03:56 PM

What about the Clippers then?

HarlemHeat37
06-16-2009, 04:03 PM
As I've mentioned before, the Clippers are a completely irrelevant team in Los Angeles..they entered the NBA as an expansion team during the Lakers Showtime years, which made them cursed to begin with..they don't have any of the advantages that the Lakers do, they don't get any of the media coverage, they don't get any attention at all..

the Lakers gained their prestige due to the location of their city, which added even more to the desire of playing in LA..as I've explained with the addition of Kareem due to his attraction(as he has admitted before), and Shaq-Kobe both demanding to be Lakers..

IronMexican
06-16-2009, 04:06 PM
So the Lakers have an advantage cause they are a very stories franchise? Too bad.

SteelerNation
06-16-2009, 04:07 PM

Maybe Spurs fans should pitch in and pay for the first date if it means 15 titles.

SteelerNation
06-16-2009, 04:10 PM
Its funny that people say that about L.A. when New York is a bigger market and the Knicks are the most valueable franchise in the NBA. That crushes all those theories that L.A. gets titles handed to them because of California. The Knicks would have 20 titles by now if that were the case.

HarlemHeat37
06-16-2009, 04:18 PM
New York isn't nearly as desirable, as I already said..I live here, and I love the city, but the weather sucks, the media is horrible, and players have way more pressure to perform than any other city..

SteelerNation
06-16-2009, 04:21 PM
You got the biggest icon in the NBA heading that way so New York cant be all bad with no one wanting to play there.

HarlemHeat37
06-16-2009, 04:23 PM
Who is that?..

I'm guessing Lebron James, even though he has given no indication that he's going to New York..I know Laker fans only listen to the media, since they can't form their own thoughts, but nothing is official at all in any way..

SteelerNation
06-16-2009, 04:26 PM
Gotta like those 13 year old adolescent pop shots. Keep 'em up. You look great doing it.

HarlemHeat37
06-16-2009, 04:32 PM
Way to take attention away from your lack of arguments..

SteelerNation
06-16-2009, 04:38 PM
uh-huh. Thats what I did, you got me. Silly kid. You can turn a blindeye to LeBron going to New York like all the Cavs fans...doesnt bother me any. And if you are doing it just to support your illogical theory that L.A. has all these advantages over everyone else...thats fine too. I get it. You have an idea in your head and no one is gonna change it no matter how right they are.

DrHouse
06-16-2009, 05:05 PM
Even Boston fans are begrudgingly giving their props to LA. The fact that Spur fan still has his head firmly stuck in the mud with his middle finger in the air says a lot about their fanbase as a whole.

A title is a title is a title. The record books care not for how great a humanitarian you are. They all count the same.

romain.star
06-16-2009, 05:24 PM
As I've mentioned before, the Clippers are a completely irrelevant team in Los Angeles..they entered the NBA as an expansion team during the Lakers Showtime years, which made them cursed to begin with..they don't have any of the advantages that the Lakers do, they don't get any of the media coverage, they don't get any attention at all..

the Lakers gained their prestige due to the location of their city, which added even more to the desire of playing in LA..as I've explained with the addition of Kareem due to his attraction(as he has admitted before), and Shaq-Kobe both demanding to be Lakers..

Still, if your point is to say that the Lakers success and prestige is only due to the location of their city; the existence of the Clippers proves you wrong.
It takes more then being located in LA to have succes in this league.

In Europe for instance, Manchester, Liverpool or Turin which are possibly the ugliest places on earth (tied with Pyongyang), have among the most successfull football clubs in the world whereas places like Paris, Berlin or to a lesser extent Rome are far less attractive and prestigious.

I agree that being in LA doesn't hurt but it doesn't explain fully the Lakers success

DrHouse
06-16-2009, 05:45 PM
Still, if your point is to say that the Lakers success and prestige is only due to the location of their city; the existence of the Clippers proves you wrong.

In Europe for instance, Manchester, Liverpool or Turin which are possibly the ugliest places on earth (tied with Pyongyang), have among the most successfull football clubs in the world whereas places like Paris, Berlin or to a lesser extent Rome are far less attractive and prestigious.

I agree that being in LA doesn't hurt but it doesn't explain fully the Lakers success

:toast

Small-minded fans like Harlem will never get it. They don't create threads like this to generate debate, they are only interested in advancing their own views.

underdawg
06-16-2009, 10:58 PM

Small-minded fans like Harlem will never get it. They don't create threads like this to generate debate, they are only interested in advancing their own views.

Wow - you really are a faker fan. Thanks for keeping the stereotype alive - you are like the Sasha Vujacic of faker fans.

samikeyp
06-16-2009, 11:09 PM
Even Boston fans are begrudgingly giving their props to LA. The fact that Spur fan still has his head firmly stuck in the mud with his middle finger in the air says a lot about their fanbase as a whole.

A title is a title is a title. The record books care not for how great a humanitarian you are. They all count the same.

The fact that you think the indict the entire fan base because of the rantings of a few makes you lose all credibility. Spurs fans all over this site have given props to LA, you are just choosing to ignore that.

HarlemHeat37
06-17-2009, 01:25 AM

Kareem specifically demanded to play in LA, Kobe demanded to be traded there, Shaq signed there due to the location of their city..these are all facts..Kareem demanded to play there as far back as the early 70's, before the Lakers had any prestige, when it was "just" the most popular and entertaining city in America..Shaq signed there when the Lakers were in transition, and so did Kobe..so clearly it's all about location..

the Lakers are the ONLY team in the NBA that can make these types of claims..not one of a few..they are the ONLY team..

I don't see how you can ignore that, clearly it has everything to do with their city..

I already explained why it's different playing for the Clippers..you don't get any of the advantages at all..why would LA give the same treatment to the team that "challenges" the Lakers in the city?..it doesn't make any sense..

HarlemHeat37
06-17-2009, 01:30 AM
I didn't make this thread for debates..there isn't a debate..everything I said is a fact, and I'm simply stating my own feelings when I mention my opinions..I've never claimed anything different, and I don't claim to represent all Spurs fans..

I said LA was the best team in the NBA this year considering the circumstances, and that's all they'll get from me..that's a compliment, isn't it?..I simply can't respect people like Kobe, due to the fact that I have morals..

VivaPopovich
06-17-2009, 03:01 AM
i agree with you on everything but you shouldnt have said what you said about magic. us spurs fans know better than to say those things ;)

Thomas82
06-17-2009, 07:04 AM

Not only that, but the Spurs seemingly had to overcome the refs as well to win championships.

sammy
06-18-2009, 12:43 AM
you dont want to hear it, then get the fuck out:lol

+1:toast

Fakers :lobt2:= * w/zebras wrapped around it! LOL!

Jacko
06-18-2009, 02:25 AM
I didn't make this thread for debates..there isn't a debate..everything I said is a fact, and I'm simply stating my own feelings when I mention my opinions..I've never claimed anything different, and I don't claim to represent all Spurs fans..

I said LA was the best team in the NBA this year considering the circumstances, and that's all they'll get from me..that's a compliment, isn't it?..I simply can't respect people like Kobe, due to the fact that I have morals..

:lmao at how naive you are. You really think every member of the Spur's organization is an upstanding citizen? Fuck you are severely out of touch with reality kid. Do you still believe in Santa Clause?

Tony Parker CHEATS ON HIS WIFE. We've all seen the text messages. God damn you are dumb.

romain.star
06-18-2009, 07:16 AM
Kareem specifically demanded to play in LA, Kobe demanded to be traded there, Shaq signed there due to the location of their city..these are all facts..Kareem demanded to play there as far back as the early 70's, before the Lakers had any prestige, when it was "just" the most popular and entertaining city in America..Shaq signed there when the Lakers were in transition, and so did Kobe..so clearly it's all about location..

the Lakers are the ONLY team in the NBA that can make these types of claims..not one of a few..they are the ONLY team..

I don't see how you can ignore that, clearly it has everything to do with their city..

I already explained why it's different playing for the Clippers..you don't get any of the advantages at all..why would LA give the same treatment to the team that "challenges" the Lakers in the city?..it doesn't make any sense..

So if "it's all about location" as you say, tell me once again why are the Clippers unable to sign those guys? Aren't they located in the most popular and entertaining city in America as well??
You say "they don't get any of the advantages at all", but what kind of advantages are you talking about? Aren't the Clippers and Lakers players living in the same city?

Sorry but your point makes no sense to me. Now if you say that being located in LA doesn't hurt the Lakers when it comes to signing BB stars, i will agree...

v2freak
06-18-2009, 08:06 PM
Check out the White Sox and the Cubs, or Mets and Yankees. Anyone claiming the Mets to be the evil empire? When you have two teams in one city, it's unlikely both are going to be equally popular.

I find the LA Lakers machine to be partially based on self-propelled hype. The movie stars go to the games because the Lakers do well, this draws publicity during media broadcasts and gets more them more national games which means more sponsors, the Lakers have a lot of money to throw at free agents etc. I wouldn't say it's only based on city, but I sure as hell wouldn't dismiss its effect either.

New York is such a mess anyway, even with its money, that it'll take some kind of miracle trade that we've seen before to make it even semi-respectable.

SouthTexasRancher
06-18-2009, 09:55 PM

Nurse Doublewide, U R irrelevant so piss off.

SouthTexasRancher
06-18-2009, 09:57 PM

Oh Nurse Doublewide, like you don't do the same...what an ignoramus!

SouthTexasRancher
06-18-2009, 09:58 PM
+1:toast

Fakers :lobt2:= * w/zebras wrapped around it! LOL!

XLNT...!!! :ihit