PDA

View Full Version : CIA chief believes Cheney almost wants US attacked

Cry Havoc
06-15-2009, 01:35 PM
WASHINGTON, June 14 (Reuters) - CIA director Leon Panetta says it's almost as if former vice president Dick Cheney would like to see another attack on the United States to prove he is right in criticizing President Barack Obama for abandoning the "harsh interrogation" of terrorism suspects.

"I think he smells some blood in the water on the national security issue," Panetta said in an interview published in The New Yorker magazine's June 22 issue.

"It's almost, a little bit, gallows politics. When you read behind it, it's almost as if he's wishing that this country would be attacked again, in order to make his point."

Cheney, who was a key advocate in the Bush administration of controversial interrogation methods such as waterboarding, has become as a leading Republican critic of Obama's ban on harsh interrogations and his plan to shut the U.S. military prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

In a blistering May 21 speech, Cheney said Obama's reversal of Bush-era policies were "unwise in the extreme" that would make the American people less safe.

Panetta called Cheney's actions "dangerous politics."

He told The New Yorker he had favored the creation of an independent truth commission to look into the detainee polices of former President George W. Bush. But the idea died in April when Obama decided such a panel could be seen as politically vindictive. (Reporting by David Morgan; Editing by Alan Elsner)

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSN14131333?rpc=64

FaithInOne
06-15-2009, 02:02 PM
He probably does. Just keeping it real.

George Gervin's Afro
06-15-2009, 02:02 PM
WASHINGTON, June 14 (Reuters) - CIA director Leon Panetta says it's almost as if former vice president Dick Cheney would like to see another attack on the United States to prove he is right in criticizing President Barack Obama for abandoning the "harsh interrogation" of terrorism suspects.

"I think he smells some blood in the water on the national security issue," Panetta said in an interview published in The New Yorker magazine's June 22 issue.

"It's almost, a little bit, gallows politics. When you read behind it, it's almost as if he's wishing that this country would be attacked again, in order to make his point."

Cheney, who was a key advocate in the Bush administration of controversial interrogation methods such as waterboarding, has become as a leading Republican critic of Obama's ban on harsh interrogations and his plan to shut the U.S. military prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

In a blistering May 21 speech, Cheney said Obama's reversal of Bush-era policies were "unwise in the extreme" that would make the American people less safe.

Panetta called Cheney's actions "dangerous politics."

He told The New Yorker he had favored the creation of an independent truth commission to look into the detainee polices of former President George W. Bush. But the idea died in April when Obama decided such a panel could be seen as politically vindictive. (Reporting by David Morgan; Editing by Alan Elsner)

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSN14131333?rpc=64

I hate the dick.. I really do.

ChumpDumper
06-15-2009, 02:03 PM
Though it's probably true, that's not for the DCI to say.

Bender
06-15-2009, 02:09 PM
government sure wastes a lot of time and energy mudslinging and name calling.

Meanwhile, in other news, the country is going down the drain.

boutons_deux
06-15-2009, 02:09 PM
I'm convinced dubya/dickhead's total willful inaction before 9/11 in the face of numerous warnings all summer long derived from dickhead's desire to have the US attacked so he could justify the long-planned neo-c*nt invasion of Iraq.

He then authorized torture to get the detainees to say Saddam as allied with AQ and in the mix for the 9/11 attack.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-15-2009, 02:16 PM

any person that has a brain would dismiss this a hearsay and nothing more, but if this "empowers" you, then have at it.

keep the hope alive

LnGrrrR
06-15-2009, 02:56 PM
I wouldn't quite call it "hearsay"... I think you mean to say "opinion". Hearsay usually implies that one person heard something from another person, and is relating it secondhand.

PixelPusher
06-15-2009, 03:12 PM
any person that has a brain would dismiss this a hearsay and nothing more, but if this "empowers" you, then have at it.

keep the hope alive

keep praying for the worst.

ElNono
06-15-2009, 03:52 PM
I'll be actually scared if he runs for President... or maybe not, since the whole premise of his campaign will most likely be based on fear mongering...

Viva Las Espuelas
06-15-2009, 04:07 PM
I wouldn't quite call it "hearsay"... I think you mean to say "opinion". Hearsay usually implies that one person heard something from another person, and is relating it secondhand.
people here are acting like it was told to Dom Irrera by Cheney himself.

FaithInOne
I'll be actually scared if he runs for President... or maybe not, since the whole premise of his campaign will most likely be based on fear mongering...

A) Not a chance of that unless maybe the real deal WWIII.

B) Obama has been saturating the country in fear-mongering to pass his agenda. Carpenters use hammers.

Viva Las Espuelas
keep praying for the worst.keep putting words in people's mouths

Spurtacus
06-16-2009, 12:53 AM
Please keep the shotguns away from Cheney.

SnakeBoy
06-16-2009, 12:58 AM
Panetta needs to say he mispoke or something and then stay the fuck out of the political arena. Plenty of work to be done within the CIA to keep him busy.

Winehole23
06-16-2009, 02:04 AM
Panetta needs to say he mispoke or something and then stay the fuck out of the political arena. Ideally, yes. But hasn't Cheney dragged the CIA into the political fight? A little bit of blowback is expectable IMO.

Plenty of work to be done within the CIA to keep him busy.Or do you resent that Panetta finds the time to express his personal views?

He's still a citizen, isn't he? The gripe that a passing comment might detract substantially from his official duties strikes me as fundamentally unserious. But yes, obviously there are matters more worthy of his attention. My agreement with you here is only about halfway.

Ignignokt
06-16-2009, 03:57 AM
i believe Cry Havoc and Pixel Pusher were glad when Katrina happened, because in their eyes it painted bush as being incompetent.

Ignignokt
06-16-2009, 03:58 AM
Cry Havoc had his hands in his pants when George Tiller was murdered. He was so appalled he had to change his Si se puede! boxers.