PDA

View Full Version : Port Aransas advice?

Blake
06-15-2009, 03:10 PM
we're staying in some condos next week.

What's the best place to eat and is there a grocery store around?

samikeyp
06-15-2009, 03:19 PM
There is an IGA there on Alister. Across the street there is (or was) a bakery....freaking awesome.

As far as places to eat, I have always been a fan of Spaghetti Works but Virginia's on the Bay is good too.

Where are you staying?

degenerate_gambler
06-15-2009, 03:28 PM
was there this weekend...

Castaways....get the mahi mahi

Blake
06-15-2009, 04:17 PM
There is an IGA there on Alister. Across the street there is (or was) a bakery....freaking awesome.

As far as places to eat, I have always been a fan of Spaghetti Works but Virginia's on the Bay is good too.

Where are you staying?

ah.....don't have it with me.....

are you familiar with the condos in tha area? name some and i can tell you......pretty sure it's a Spanish name.....

does the Spaghetti Works also have fish? what's the price range?

samikeyp
06-15-2009, 04:46 PM
Spaghetti Works does have fish, in fact the actual name is Seafood and Spaghetti Works. Honestly I can't remember the price range because it has been too long since I have been there. I know it wasn't too bad given the fact that most places in Port A can be a little expensive.

Is it the Mayan Princess?

SequSpur
06-15-2009, 06:04 PM
that place is a dump

mookie2001
06-15-2009, 07:12 PM
is there a grocery store around?
rofl

bring your own beer from lubbock too

careful about those condos though, the walls are paper thin. seriously

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
06-15-2009, 11:01 PM
Go to the Crazy Cajun .... that place has great cajun seafood

I. Hustle
06-15-2009, 11:04 PM
They just reopened the Wharf but I don't know how good it is.

Blake
06-16-2009, 01:17 AM
rofl

Im staying for a week with the family. We are staying in a condo with a full kitchen so there's no sense in eating out every meal.

hilarious!

careful about those condos though, the walls are paper thin. seriously

not a 5 star resort but it seems ok to me. thanks for the tip though.

http://www.portaransas-texas.com/sitepages/pid39.php

Mugshot
06-16-2009, 01:21 AM

I've actually stayed there, not bad at all...

Winehole23
06-16-2009, 02:57 AM
Places to eat: Shell's (pasta and seafood), Venetian Hot Plate(Italian, seafood and steak. Spendy. Also inconsistent of late, but I have had some magical meals there) Marcel's (German food. Seemingly incongruous, but really, really good.)

IMO the best restaurant in the whole area is Cheryl's Coastal Cuisine in Fulton. They also make the best NY strip I've had anywhere. They're closed Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

But if your kids are really young, you may want to stick with Spaghetti Works.

Greasy spoon and bar: Port A Beach Lodge (11th and Palmetto, I think. It's in the dunes, with a beach view and *Faulkner-esque* ambience.)

Bar bar: Flats Lounge. Blues and locals. Looks a little scary from the outside, but it isn't.

JudynTX
06-16-2009, 07:33 AM

$220 a night? :wow

Blake
06-16-2009, 08:30 AM
$220 a night? :wow

I didn't book it, but I think my significant other said she got it for $180 a night during the week. $220 is probably Fri and Sat.

There are 7 of us going, so something around $200 a night for a 2 bedroom/2 bath + loft condo with 4 double beds, a living room area, and walking distance to the beach is not really bad at all.

JudynTX
06-16-2009, 08:39 AM
I didn't book it, but I think my significant other said she got it for $180 a night during the week. $220 is probably Fri and Sat.

There are 7 of us going, so something around $200 a night for a 2 bedroom/2 bath + loft condo with 4 double beds, a living room area, and walking distance to the beach is not really bad at all.

:tu I guess if you put it that way, it's not so expensive. Plus you'll be doing alot of cooking. :lol Have you been on USS Lexington? I never have.

Blake
06-16-2009, 08:58 AM
:tu I guess if you put it that way, it's not so expensive. Plus you'll be doing alot of cooking. :lol Have you been on USS Lexington? I never have.

sheez, I haven't been to the corpus area since I was a kid, and I went on a boat back then, so unless they've switched out boats, I've been on it.

I don't think we have the Lex in our plans this time, but we are definitely gonna check out the aquarium.

SpursStalker
06-16-2009, 08:59 AM

We can fix that yanno ...

:D

samikeyp
06-16-2009, 09:01 AM
I have been on the Lexington, its worth the trip. :tu

to21
06-16-2009, 09:05 AM
sheez, I haven't been to the corpus area since I was a kid, and I went on a boat back then, so unless they've switched out boats, I've been on it.

I don't think we have the Lex in our plans this time, but we are definitely gonna check out the aquarium.The aquarium is not bad, we don't have to pay when we go. Else, I might take a pass (it's for the kiddos so we grin and bear it).

Take in a Hooks game (if they're in town), buy a berm seat and sit behind home plate because no one goes (if you like baseball).

JudynTX
06-16-2009, 09:16 AM

I don't think we have the Lex in our plans this time, but we are definitely gonna check out the aquarium.

I was very disappointed with the aquarium down there. :rolleyes Yea, so I got to touch a sting ray, so what. :lol

We can fix that yanno ...

:D

:toast Let's go at night, because I heard it's haunted. :D

Blake
06-16-2009, 09:24 AM
I was very disappointed with the aquarium down there. :rolleyes Yea, so I got to touch a sting ray, so what. :lol

really? that's a bummer to hear that

JudynTX
06-16-2009, 09:26 AM
really? that's a bummer to hear that

I had high expectations, it's a freakin aquarium. You get to see some pretty jelly fish. :rolleyes

I'm comparing it to this place: http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/

They have penguins. :D

samikeyp
06-16-2009, 09:27 AM
The aquarium is not bad, we don't have to pay when we go. Else, I might take a pass (it's for the kiddos so we grin and bear it).

Take in a Hooks game (if they're in town), buy a berm seat and sit behind home plate because no one goes (if you like baseball).

I liked the aquarium.

The next time I am there, I am definetly taking in a game.

SpursStalker
06-16-2009, 09:36 AM
:toast Let's go at night, because I heard it's haunted. :D

:lol

Let's go!!

JudynTX
06-16-2009, 10:03 AM
:lol

Let's go!!

:hat I'm ready.

Blake, do you start drinking on the beach at 8:00 am or sooner? :toast

S_A_Longhorn
06-16-2009, 10:04 AM
Went to the Rockport-Fulton area this past weekend, but drove all over the area.

Stayed at the Best Western in Fulton since we brought our dog. Not bad, but the carpets need to be cleaned or replaced. Friendly staff.

Rockport-Fulton is strictly for fishing. Couldn't find any beaches, but I did like the piers...thousands of them. THe Fulton Pier was nice (no dogs allowed) and the small park there was relaxing. There is gift shop called TG's which my wife liked. We stumbled across a place called Moondog's in Fulton. Very cool, laid back place with great burgers. It's right on the waterfront with a "FEMA approved" upper deck that gives you a great view of the bay.

We went to Corpus Christi and the Texas State Aquarium. It was very cool and the layout of the place is easy. Plenty of things for the kids to do, as my daughter enjoyed it. Adults are $15.50 each + $4 parking. Kids 3 & under are free. The USS Lexington is next door, but we didn't go there. Lots of gifts shops in the area.

We then took the ferry over to Port Aransas (my first time). Stayed there once before, and I can recommend The Castaways for a good restaurant. The grocery store is decent. Funny story - I remember the best honey wheat bread I've ever had I bought there. I thinkit was a generaic brand, but no other honey wheat bread compares. I keep hoping to see that brand, but never do. I've tried all the honey wheat breads at HEB and none of the compare.

Port A has the best beaches in the area, IMO. A bit dirty from seaweed tho.

SpursStalker
06-16-2009, 10:05 AM

Yanno ...

I'm not doing anything for July 4th

:lol :rolleyes

JudynTX
06-16-2009, 10:07 AM
Yanno ...

I'm not doing anything for July 4th

:lol :rolleyes

:depressed I have plans.

SpursStalker
06-16-2009, 10:10 AM
:depressed I have plans.

Guess I'll go by myself ...

:sleep

JudynTX
06-16-2009, 10:12 AM
Guess I'll go by myself ...

:sleep

:nope That's not safe. :lol

Blake
06-16-2009, 10:19 AM

:lol beer, no.

mimosas, maybe, if someone makes one for me.

JudynTX
06-16-2009, 10:35 AM
:lol beer, no.

mimosas, maybe, if someone makes one for me.

:rolleyes lol

SpursStalker
06-16-2009, 10:36 AM
:nope That's not safe. :lol

Why?

:wow

Dex
06-16-2009, 10:41 AM
I'm not even much of a military fanatic or a history buff, but I found the U.S.S. Lexington to be an interesting tour. I've actually been through a couple times. You get to completely explore the guts of an aircraft carrier, including the medical bay, cafeteria, weapons holds, etc. Plus up on the deck there are some cool aircrafts to look at and one of the better views Corpus has to offer.

The Aquarium and Lexington are literally within walking distance, so I recommend doing both if your over in Corpus. If I had to choose just one, though, I'd probably go with the Lexington.

to21
06-16-2009, 11:11 AM
Went to the Rockport-Fulton area this past weekend, but drove all over the area.

Stayed at the Best Western in Fulton since we brought our dog. Not bad, but the carpets need to be cleaned or replaced. Friendly staff.

Rockport-Fulton is strictly for fishing. Couldn't find any beaches, but I did like the piers...thousands of them. THe Fulton Pier was nice (no dogs allowed) and the small park there was relaxing. There is gift shop called TG's which my wife liked. We stumbled across a place called Moondog's in Fulton. Very cool, laid back place with great burgers. It's right on the waterfront with a "FEMA approved" upper deck that gives you a great view of the bay.

We went to Corpus Christi and the Texas State Aquarium. It was very cool and the layout of the place is easy. Plenty of things for the kids to do, as my daughter enjoyed it. Adults are $15.50 each + $4 parking. Kids 3 & under are free. The USS Lexington is next door, but we didn't go there. Lots of gifts shops in the area.

We then took the ferry over to Port Aransas (my first time). Stayed there once before, and I can recommend The Castaways for a good restaurant. The grocery store is decent. Funny story - I remember the best honey wheat bread I've ever had I bought there. I thinkit was a generaic brand, but no other honey wheat bread compares. I keep hoping to see that brand, but never do. I've tried all the honey wheat breads at HEB and none of the compare.

Port A has the best beaches in the area, IMO. A bit dirty from seaweed tho.For next time ur in the area:

http://www.cityofrockport.com/index.aspx?nid=117

The park is nice and cost about five bucks to get in.

leemajors
06-16-2009, 11:25 AM
moon dog has some good food in rockport. it's a shack, greasy spoon but i love their fried shrimp. to21 is right, the rockport beach is nice. get a floating cooler and sit in the bay for hours.

JudynTX
06-16-2009, 11:36 AM
:lol I love going to the coast and feeding the seagulls. You never get rid of 'em.

SpursStalker
06-16-2009, 12:35 PM
:lol I love going to the coast and feeding the seagulls. You never get rid of 'em.

Let's go and bust in on Blake ...

:lol :D

z0sa
06-16-2009, 12:37 PM
advice? don't get sunburned.

samikeyp
06-16-2009, 12:47 PM

Feed them Alka-Seltzer. They will not come back.

Drachen
06-16-2009, 01:38 PM
Just got back from there this morning. My parents own a condo at executive keys. I can't believe no one has mentioned Hooks (restaurant, not baseball). It is at 722 Tarpon st. Basically you drive down 361 until it "T"s off in "downtown" port a. Take a right, and then take the 2nd driveway on the left. There is a group of little shops and it is the first one. Outdoor patio, live music and the blackend sashimi tuna. This is literally the best seafood that I have ever eaten. It is a pretty large tuna steak, cooked however you want (rare, med rare, etc). It is blackened and comes served on a sizzling skillet. with soy and wasabi on the side. It is great! The cost for the tuna is 13.95 and comes with no sides (yes I know, but once you taste the tuna, you will know why). Also, they make homemade potato chips for some of the dishes that are awesome. I have tried nothing else there, but my friends say that all of the other food is pretty good too, but they all agree that the tuna is the best.

marini martini
06-16-2009, 03:21 PM
Feed them Alka-Seltzer. They will not come back.
:smchode:......................................... :spless:

:nope:nope:nope

The cost for the tuna is 13.95 and comes with no sides (yes I know, but once you taste the tuna, you will know why).

WHY???:wakeup

to21
06-16-2009, 03:27 PM
Just got back from there this morning. My parents own a condo at executive keys. I can't believe no one has mentioned Hooks (restaurant, not baseball). It is at 722 Tarpon st. Basically you drive down 361 until it "T"s off in "downtown" port a. Take a right, and then take the 2nd driveway on the left. There is a group of little shops and it is the first one. Outdoor patio, live music and the blackend sashimi tuna. This is literally the best seafood that I have ever eaten. It is a pretty large tuna steak, cooked however you want (rare, med rare, etc). It is blackened and comes served on a sizzling skillet. with soy and wasabi on the side. It is great! The cost for the tuna is 13.95 and comes with no sides (yes I know, but once you taste the tuna, you will know why). Also, they make homemade potato chips for some of the dishes that are awesome. I have tried nothing else there, but my friends say that all of the other food is pretty good too, but they all agree that the tuna is the best.I've been to Hooks also....but just at night, when the cougars come out. The food wasn't bad, but we just had apps (the stuffed jalps were pretty damn hot).

JudynTX
06-16-2009, 03:34 PM
http://www.spadre.com/beachcam.htm

Drachen
06-16-2009, 03:42 PM
http://www.spadre.com/beachcam.htm

I don't understand why anyone would go to S. Padre when they could go to Port A. Even when I was younger I couldn't understand this (and I am only 29 now).

JudynTX
06-16-2009, 03:42 PM
I don't understand why anyone would go to S. Padre when they could go to Port A. Even when I was younger I couldn't understand this (and I am only 29 now).

It's cleaner. :lol

S_A_Longhorn
06-16-2009, 03:45 PM
For next time ur in the area:

http://www.cityofrockport.com/index.aspx?nid=117

The park is nice and cost about five bucks to get in.

We were in line to drive-in & pay the fee, but then we noticed the "No Dogs Allowed" sign.

We left the line.

Drachen
06-16-2009, 03:46 PM
:smchode:......................................... :spless:

:nope:nope:nope

WHY???:wakeup

You bring up a great point, may I counter with: once you taste it, you will know why.

Not before, but after. It is one of life's great mysteries, scientists and creationists alike have sought the answer to this question since times of old but alas there was no answer. Taste ye of the fruit and lo the knowledge will come.

to21
06-16-2009, 03:46 PM
S. Padre is cleaner but a lot further.

to21
06-16-2009, 03:47 PM
We were in line to drive-in & pay the fee, but then we noticed the "No Dogs Allowed" sign.

We left the line.No shit? I thought I saw people with dogs on the beach....maybe.

Drachen
06-16-2009, 03:52 PM
It's cleaner. :lol

I disagree, too many beer cans, etc. Plus the locals hate the fact that you are there in S. Padre, not so in Port A. I have always felt that there is an agenda in S. Padre.

"Wake up at 12:30, check
first beer at 12:20 and 30 seconds, check
have to make sure that we are up and about by 1:15 for the wet t shirt contest at hotel X, check
keg stands at 2:00, check . . . "

I am not saying that I don't enjoy any of those things, but I go to the beach to relax and get away from agendas. I know, at my age, I am alone in this preference, and you have to talk to people that are older than me to get the same opinion, but I have always felt this way.

JudynTX
06-16-2009, 03:56 PM
I disagree, too many beer cans, etc. Plus the locals hate the fact that you are there in S. Padre, not so in Port A. I have always felt that there is an agenda in S. Padre.

have to make sure that we are up and about by 1:15 for the wet t shirt contest at hotel X, check

I am not saying that I don't enjoy any of those things, but I go to the beach to relax and get away from agendas. I know, at my age, I am alone in this preference, and you have to talk to people that are older than me to get the same opinion, but I have always felt this way.

Hmmmm...so the locals hate the tourists? :ihit We are paying for their salaries. I'm old school so I know what you're saying. We are less tolerant of shit now. :hat:lol

Drachen
06-16-2009, 04:00 PM
Hmmmm...so the locals hate the tourists? :ihit We are paying for their salaries. I'm old school so I know what you're saying. We are less tolerant of shit now. :hat:lol

I think it has less to do with the locals and more to do with the types of tourists that go to S. Padre. Every year they deal with certain amounts of bad behavior, vandalism, etc. and they get tired of it. Kinda like the fact that most people working in retail can't stand the nationals even though they pay for their salaries.

BTW, I think a lot of people confuse Corpus and Port A when they say one is cleaner than the other. I cant stand the Corpus beach, it is dirty and smells like sweat.

Blake
06-16-2009, 04:10 PM

Ive gone to S Padre at least once, many times 2-3 for the last 10 years. I love staying at a hotel right on the beach down there.

We just wanted a change of pace however the memories of a nasty trip to Mustang Island still haunt us. I hope you're right.

PM5K
06-16-2009, 04:16 PM
Marcels is very good, I worked there as a kid but haven't been there to eat in a long time. Also Crazy Cajun has a seafood boil that they dump on the table for everyone to eat, not only is it good but it's always fun to eat off the table.

Do you guys have kids? I don't know that I'd go to the Lexington unless I had kids, or was really into ships and what not. I hear in New York they have an actual working ship you can tour, touring a ship that hasn't been used in a long time and has ancient equipment isn't as exciting to me personally, but I'm a high tech kind of guy. Whatever you do don't visit on a humid day....

leemajors
06-16-2009, 04:28 PM
if you grew up within 100 miles of corpus christi then the school trip every year was a trip to the lexington

negative, goliad was it.

leemajors
06-16-2009, 04:39 PM
do they have schools in goliad?

the elementary trip three years running was goliad - la bahia and making rubbings of the fannin monument.

mookie2001
06-16-2009, 06:24 PM
you mean presidio la bahia not goliad

mookie2001
06-16-2009, 06:26 PM
rockport fulton is strictly for abusing tussin

chode_regulator
06-17-2009, 12:13 AM
rofl

I don't know if it's the cheap rum talking but....I can't stop laughing at this. Mstly because it's the first thing that popped in my head when I read the questoin.

leemajors
06-17-2009, 08:10 AM
you mean presidio la bahia not goliad

we always stopped at the whataburger in goliad.