PDA

View Full Version : Transparency

SnakeBoy
06-15-2009, 05:54 PM
Obama Fires Inspector General Who Investigated a Friend

Monday, June 15, 2009 Gerald Walpin President Barack Obama tried late last week to quietly fire an inspector general who had investigated a close political ally, a move that prompted attention from several media sources anyway. Obama terminated Gerald Walpin, inspector general of the Corporation for National and Community Service, which runs the AmeriCorps program, after Walpin launched an investigation last year that involved Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson, a former NBA player who had founded a community group called St. HOPE Academy.

Walpin’s audit of St. HOPE, which sought to find out how the organization had spent $847,673 in grant funds from AmeriCorps, came in the middle of Johnson’s reelection campaign. At that time, Walpin raised the specter of funds being diverted and misused by Johnson’s organization. The Democrat and supporter of Obama called the investigation “politically motivated,” and his aides brought up details about Walpin’s support for Republican Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney to indicate bias on his part. In 2007 and 2008, Walpin donated money to the presidential campaigns of Rudy Giuliani and John McCain.

In April, St. HOPE Academy agreed to a settlement with the federal government to pay $423,836.50, of which $72,836.50 came out of Johnson’s pocket. Walpin was cut out of those negotiations to settle the matter.

After hearing of the inspector general’s firing, Senator Charles Grassley (R-IA) complained to Obama in a letter, which reminded him that he had supported legislation last year as a U.S. senator requiring the president to give Congress 30 days notice in writing of the reasons for terminating or transferring any inspector general.

exstatic
06-15-2009, 06:59 PM
After hearing of the inspector general’s firing, Senator Charles Grassley (R-IA) complained to Obama in a letter, which reminded him that he had supported legislation last year as a U.S. senator requiring the president to give Congress 30 days notice in writing of the reasons for terminating or transferring any inspector general.

Dear Charles,

I fired the dude because he was obviously a GOP appointee leftover. This often happens during change of regimes. Get over it, and consider this your 30 day notification.

Barack

LnGrrrR
06-16-2009, 07:56 AM
I seem to remember Bush firing some lawyers...

LnGrrrR
06-16-2009, 02:28 PM
Although, I will add, Obama and transparency do not seem to be hand-holding friends.

SnakeBoy
06-16-2009, 02:32 PM
TRANSPARENCY QUESTIONS FOR ADMIN.

The Obama administration is fighting to block access to names of visitors to the White House, taking up the Bush administration argument that a president doesn't have to reveal who comes calling to influence policy decisions.

Despite President Barack Obama's pledge to introduce a new era of transparency to Washington, and despite two rulings by a federal judge that the records are public, the Secret Service has denied msnbc.com's request for the names of all White House visitors from Jan. 20 to the present. It also denied a narrower request by the nonpartisan watchdog group Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, which sought logs of visits by executives of coal companies. CREW says it will file a lawsuit Tuesday against the Department of Homeland Security, which oversees the Secret Service.

Groups that advocate open government have argued that it's vital to know the names of White House visitors, who may have an outsized influence on policy matters. The visitor logs have been released in only a few isolated cases, most notably records of visits by lobbyist Jack Abramoff to the Bush White House, and in the "filegate" investigation of the Clinton White House.

The Obama administration is arguing that the White House visitor logs are presidential records -- not Secret Service agency records, which would be subject to the Freedom of Information Act. The administration ought to be able to hold secret meetings in the White House, "such as an elected official interviewing for an administration position or an ambassador coming for a discussion on issues that would affect international negotiations," said Obama spokesman Ben LaBolt.

These same arguments, made by the Bush administration, were rejected twice by a federal judge.

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2009/06/16/1966532.aspx

FaithInOne
06-16-2009, 03:33 PM
The funny thing is, he will not follow any of these catchy cult following campaign slogans but in 2012 he will run on them again citing bullshit instances where he followed them, the GOP will have another weak candidate, the americants will do what americants do best, and he will win reelection :lmao

The TOTUS is far too powerful for this not to happen.

SnakeBoy
06-16-2009, 03:45 PM
I seem to remember Bush firing some lawyers...

U.S. attorney's serve at the presidents pleasure. Inspector generals don't. They're supposed to be independent since their job is to investigate fraud and waste within their own organization. That's why Obama is suppossed to give congress 30 days notice and a reason for replacing one.

LnGrrrR
06-16-2009, 03:49 PM
U.S. attorney's serve at the presidents pleasure. Inspector generals don't. They're supposed to be independent since their job is to investigate fraud and waste within their own organization. That's why Obama is suppossed to give congress 30 days notice and a reason for replacing one.

Ah ok, then I stand corrected. Thank you.

Winehole23
06-16-2009, 04:01 PM
That's why Obama is suppossed to give congress 30 days notice and a reason for replacing one.An interesting discussion of this can be found here (http://www.volokh.com/archives/archive_2009_06_14-2009_06_20.shtml#1245168784).

Obama's notice to Speaker Pelosi: http://a.abcnews.go.com/images/Politics/Obama_letter_ to_Pelosi.pdf

Winehole23
06-16-2009, 04:03 PM
The US Att'y's original letter of complaint (http://a.abcnews.go.com/images/Politics/Brown_letter_to_Kenneth_Kaiser.pdf).

The IG's response (http://a.abcnews.go.com/images/Politics/PCIE_Response_Report_FINAL_5_20_09.pdf).

Winehole23
06-16-2009, 04:08 PM
IG Walpin's report (http://www.cncsig.gov/PDF/StHope/StHOPEFIN.pdf).

Winehole23
06-16-2009, 04:09 PM
Jake Tapper's tick-tock (http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2009/06/more-details-emerge-in-president-obamas-firing-of-inspector-general.html), via TPM, via Volokh.

DarrinS
06-16-2009, 05:35 PM
I had no idea KJ was the mayor of Sacramento.

Wild Cobra
06-16-2009, 10:17 PM
Funny thing is, Senator Obama was one of the members of congress who disapproved of some of President Bush's firings, and made it law to give a 30 day(?) notice and reason. I guess now that he's president, his work in congress is meaningless...

Winehole23
06-16-2009, 10:22 PM
Funny thing is, Senator Obama was one of the members of congress who disapproved of some of President Bush's firings, and made it law to give a 30 day(?) notice and reason. I guess now that he's president, his work in congress is meaningless...Or maybe your perspective on executive power changes...when you ARE the President.

Wild Cobra
06-16-2009, 11:27 PM
Or maybe your perspective on executive power changes...when you ARE the President.
I agree with that, and said so my self on at least two occasions in these forums.

I just thought I would point out he did vote for such legislation!

Again, this comes back to experience...

He has no executive experience. This proves it on that account as well.

Winehole23
06-16-2009, 11:32 PM
He has no executive experience. This proves it on that account as well.Actually, Mr. Obama has about six months of being President of the USA under his belt.

Only 43 men in the history of our country have that line item on their resume.

Wild Cobra
06-17-2009, 12:00 AM
Actually, Mr. Obama has about six months of being President of the USA under his belt.

Shouldn't he have had some executive experience before being president, or is it a position that On the Job Training is fine with you?

Remember. I said executive experience. Not experience as president.

Winehole23
06-17-2009, 12:51 AM
Shouldn't he have had some executive experience before being president, or is it a position that On the Job Training is fine with you?It isn't the first time, nor will it be the last. Nor does it bother me. The only qualifications are being native born and 35 years old. There are no others.

Remember. I said executive experience. Not experience as president.I heard you. It's a distinction without a difference IMO. Being President is executive experience par excellence.

Winehole23
06-17-2009, 09:00 AM
You jess kent do tengks like dett...

LnGrrrR
06-17-2009, 09:49 AM
Shouldn't he have had some executive experience before being president, or is it a position that On the Job Training is fine with you?

Remember. I said executive experience. Not experience as president.

Given that the person running on the other side of the aisle didn't have any executive experience (unless you count being in the military as executive experience), it didn't make a big difference.

FaithInOne
06-17-2009, 11:55 AM
Actually, Mr. Obama has about six months of being President of the USA under his belt.

Thanks to almost 1 Billion Dollars, media in your pocket, and the ability to sway the masses.

What a respectable competitive ability to achieve this.

Winehole23
06-17-2009, 12:07 PM
Thanks to almost 1 Billion Dollars, media in your pocket, and the ability to sway the masses.None of those things hurt him, for sure. He raised the money, our media masters were ready for change, and Mr. Obama convinced voters it was coming.

coyotes_geek
06-17-2009, 12:23 PM
Thanks to almost 1 Billion Dollars, media in your pocket, and the ability to sway the masses.

What a respectable competitive ability to achieve this.

That's how you win elections. Every democrat and every republican does it.