PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs Draft List Gets Shorter

duncan228
06-15-2009, 06:39 PM
Spurs draft list gets shorter (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/06/spurs-draft-lis.html#more)
By Jeff McDonald

It's getting late in the draft process. The Spurs, like other teams, are beginning to dot their i's and cross their t's in preparation for next week's pick-a-thon.

They are also beginning to cross some names off their list.

A handful of players the Spurs worked out or interviewed have elected to return to college or pursue other opportunities. The most recent of Spurs' would-be prospects to pull their names from the draft in advance of today's deadline are Maryland guard Greivis Vasquez and Notre Dame big man Luke Harangody.

Others who have worked out for the Spurs but have since withdrawn from the draft are Arizona point guard Nic Wise, Texas forward Damion James and Florida point guard Nick Calathes. Calathes, a junior-to-be, elected to accept a $1.1 million offer to turn pro in Greece last month.

All of this was to be expected, of course.

Picking where the Spurs are picking, with three picks in the second round and none in the first, it's not like they were working out the Blake Griffins of the world. Their audition list included a handful of bubble players who might not be drafted at all. Those are the type of players who eventually end up returning to college.

It's not like the extra workouts were a waste of time for the Spurs, however. They now have another layer of information on these prospects looking forward to next year's draft.

Mel_13
06-15-2009, 06:44 PM
Spurs draft list gets shorter (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/06/spurs-draft-lis.html#more)
By Jeff McDonald

It's getting late in the draft process. The Spurs, like other teams, are beginning to dot their i's and cross their t's in preparation for next week's pick-a-thon.

They are also beginning to cross some names off their list.

A handful of players the Spurs worked out or interviewed have elected to return to college or pursue other opportunities. The most recent of Spurs' would-be prospects to pull their names from the draft in advance of today's deadline are Maryland guard Greivis Vasquez and Notre Dame big man Luke Harangody.

Others who have worked out for the Spurs but have since withdrawn from the draft are Arizona point guard Nic Wise, Texas forward Damion James and Florida point guard Nick Calathes. Calathes, a junior-to-be, elected to accept a $1.1 million offer to turn pro in Greece last month.

All of this was to be expected, of course.

Picking where the Spurs are picking, with three picks in the second round and none in the first, it's not like they were working out the Blake Griffins of the world. Their audition list included a handful of bubble players who might not be drafted at all. Those are the type of players who eventually end up returning to college.

It's not like the extra workouts were a waste of time for the Spurs, however. They now have another layer of information on these prospects looking forward to next year's draft.

Nick Calathes has not withdrawn from the draft.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Early-Entry-Withdrawal-Deadline-Rumor-Mill-3260/

ffadicted
06-15-2009, 06:49 PM

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Early-Entry-Withdrawal-Deadline-Rumor-Mill-3260/

MacDonald strikes again

clubalien
06-15-2009, 07:00 PM
what is the official deadline for withdrawing. Excuse my ignorance. If it isn't over maybe he has declared is intent but not official done. This is sad as soon as I was going to give him props for new info ya'll find something wrong with it.

Mel_13
06-15-2009, 07:04 PM
what is the official deadline for withdrawing. Excuse my ignorance. If it isn't over maybe he has declared is intent but not official done. This is sad as soon as I was going to give him props for new info ya'll find something wrong with it.

today at 5pm ET

exstatic
06-15-2009, 07:12 PM

Bad writing. He lumped Calathes with the withdrawing players, but then mentioned that he signed in Greece. I think he was just listing players no longer available.

EricB
06-15-2009, 07:32 PM
So its a mistake and not a big screw up.

Glad to see the journalism know it alls are here again.

Das Texan
06-15-2009, 07:35 PM
Leave it up to McDonald to have some type of error in an article.

Wouldnt want to see him have that streak come to an end.

ducks
06-15-2009, 07:45 PM
so its a mistake and not a big screw up.

fuck you

TheProfessor
06-15-2009, 08:01 PM
So its a mistake and not a big screw up.

:lol Yeah, what with their wanting local beat-writers to fact check and all. It's not like it's the guy's job or anything.

ducks
06-15-2009, 08:12 PM
yeah he is altleast making 30k a year
doing what he loves
poor baby

timvp
06-15-2009, 08:26 PM
Bad writing. He lumped Calathes with the withdrawing players, but then mentioned that he signed in Greece. I think he was just listing players no longer available.Calathes is still available. In fact, he'll probably get drafted in the first round.