View Full Version : Trade Target: Josh Smith

Spurs Brazil
06-15-2009, 08:16 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_josh_smith.jpg

Josh Smith | F
Born: Dec 5, 1985
Height: 6-9 / 2,06
Weight: 240 lbs. / 108,9 kg.
High School: Oak Hill Academy (Mouth of Wilson, VA)
Years Pro: 4

info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/josh_smith/index.html)

------------------------------------------------

Hawks Looking To Trade Josh Smith

Jun 15, 2009 4:05 PM EST
The Hawks have reportedly been working hard to find a taker for forward Josh Smith in recent weeks.

Atlanta is in a tough situation financially, as both Mike Bibby and Marvin Williams are free agents.

Smith has a history of disagreements with coach Mike Woodson, and would likely be coveted on the trade market.

However, there is a $6 million trade kicker attached to his contract, which could scare some teams off.

"You are going to see very few owners willing to do things like that anymore," one GM said. "I'm not saying he's impossible to trade. There are a few owners like Paul Allen, James Dolan, Mark Cuban and maybe Daniel Gilbert who would pay the money. But there aren't many."

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/59833/20090615/hawks_looking_to_trade_josh_smith/

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-15-2009, 08:55 PM
Damn, $6M kicker?

TDMVPDPOY
06-15-2009, 08:56 PM
this guy got paid last year, didnt live up to his contract signing.....

timvp
06-15-2009, 09:15 PM
Holt wouldn't pay a $6M trade kicker for LeBron.

Udokafan05
06-15-2009, 10:15 PM
He would be perfect at SF for spurs. Great defender and rebounder, and has become descent shooter.

montgod
06-15-2009, 11:13 PM
He would be perfect at SF for spurs. Great defender and rebounder, and has become descent shooter.

I know.... could you imagine Josh Smith next to Duncan and running the break with Ginobli and Parker?? Wow... if only dreams could come true.

tav1
06-15-2009, 11:36 PM
Holt wouldn't pay a $6M trade kicker for LeBron.

Ha! He's overpaid, anyway. That 6 million just adds insult to injury.

DPG21920
06-15-2009, 11:54 PM
I got 5 on it.

Chieflion
06-16-2009, 04:51 AM
Josh Smith = LeBron James with no basketball IQ and no handles

cdcast
06-16-2009, 12:06 PM
If the Hawks are struggling financially, the Spurs need to go after Zaza or Childress.

lurker23
06-16-2009, 12:41 PM
Smith would be a great acquisition for the Spurs, but as others have implied, the only way this happens is if the Spurs could negotiate with Smith to reduce his trade kicker. As Bruno pointed out in the Chris Kaman thread, the CBA allows players to agree to waive a part of their trade kicker if it is the only way to make the trade work salary-wise. The question is how much money Smith would be willing to give up to get to a better situation; my inclination is "not much. "

Red Hawk #21
06-16-2009, 12:44 PM
Yup trade his ass, Spurs fans I love you guys and I speak as a friend: You want none of Josh Smith. He is a moron, he takes ill-advised jumpers, kills momentum, makes brain-dead plays and he is very overrated because of his flashy dunks and blocks. Idk though maybe Pop can motivate him, but as a Hawks fan I want this guy gone!

urunobili
06-16-2009, 12:45 PM
Let ATL keep this guy and steal Marvin Williams

Stump
06-16-2009, 12:46 PM
I'd rather go after Marvin Williams

Edit: Beat me to it

Red Hawk #21
06-16-2009, 12:49 PM
I bet you once Smith gets traded Marvin's scoring will go up and he will prove that he is not the bust some think he is. Im actually glad to see that some Spurs fans think of Marvin as a steal.

SenorSpur
06-16-2009, 04:01 PM
Smith's game is pure athleticism. He's super-talented, but doesn't have a clue as to NBA fundamentals. He'd never see the outside of Pop's doghouse.

DPG21920
06-16-2009, 05:59 PM
I'd like this trade to happen depending on what we give up. I was talking to some owner friends recently and they told me they had a better chance at such deals because they have several owners.

What do you mean by this?

kromediablo
06-17-2009, 12:28 AM
Smith's game is pure athleticism. He's super-talented, but doesn't have a clue as to NBA fundamentals. He'd never see the outside of Pop's doghouse.

this is exactly what the spurs need somebody athletic so we are not always relying on tony to drive the lane! And he can guard odom and ariza in the conference finals next year! haha!

Obstructed_View
06-17-2009, 01:32 AM

That's too bad for the Spurs. I'd take a couple of guys with the talent to make up for the occasional brain fart over a crop of guys with good basketball instincts that can't run the floor, pull down a board, stay healthy or keep their man in front of them.

crc21209
06-17-2009, 04:03 AM
Too STUPID to be a Spur. Sad but true...:lol

Blackjack
06-17-2009, 01:19 PM
http://proxy.espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/26986/NBA-Insider-Chad-Ford

Brookes (Washington, DC)

What do you expect to be the asking price for Josh Smith?

Chad Ford

A little cap relief so they can sign all of their other free agents like Marvin Williams, Mike Bibby, Zaza Pachulia, Josh Childress and Ronald Murray.The problem is that teams don't want to pay his trade kicker which is $7.2 million (not the $6 million I reported yesterday)

benefactor
06-17-2009, 04:57 PM
The problem is that teams don't want to pay his trade kicker which is $7.2 million (not the $6 million I reported yesterday)
7.2 million? :nutkick:

ffadicted
06-17-2009, 04:59 PM
Holy shit 7.2 Trade kicker.

:nope

DPG21920
06-17-2009, 07:06 PM
Holt is only the majority owner of the Spurs(around 51%). Most teams only have a few owners, with one major one(a lot more than 51% owned)

I believe the Spurs have around 20 or 25 owners. When I told these owners about the VC trade they told me that while it seems unlikely they have a better chance to get him because Holt doesn't pay everything.

Thanks, that is what I thought you meant. None of these scenarios seem likely. Spurs have never been desperate before (except when Tim was thinking about Orlando), so we will see if that changes things, but I doubt it.

exstatic
06-17-2009, 08:22 PM

Smith's a well below average distance shooter. His career 3G% is 27. Compare that to the 38-40% the Spurs look for. if someone who shoots 27% and someone who shoots 38% both shoot just 100 shots, the 38% player will hit 11 more shots and score 33 more points. Smith is also a dumbass headcase who fights with his coach and think's he's a star when he's maybe a good player.

Obstructed_View
06-17-2009, 08:53 PM
Well if the mindset is to take a guy who's a great inside scorer with the ability to rebound in traffic and bitch about why he's not better at shooting from 25 feet away, it's just as well the Spurs have guys like Bonner and Finley.

Chinook
01-17-2013, 02:34 PM
No real news other than he's fighting with his coach again. I just decided to bump the thread so everyone knows its here.

Mel_13
02-08-2013, 05:14 PM
Hawks taking trade offers for forward Smith

David Aldridge, TNT analyst
Posted Feb 8, 2013 4:45 PM

The Atlanta Hawks are entertaining trade offers around the league for forward Josh Smith, but have yet to decide whether they will deal the ninth-year forward, according to league sources.

The Hawks met with Smith's representatives this week, at which point the team indicated it was not willing to give Smith a max contract after this season, according to a source.

Smith, who will be an unrestricted free agent this summer, told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution late last month that he believes he's a max player, which would mean he'd be in line for a five-year deal worth around $94 million from Atlanta.

But the Hawks, which expect to be major players next summer in free agency or through trades, do not want to tie up that kind of money going forward.

http://www.nba.com/2013/news/02/08/josh-smith-trade-offers/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpts

ace3g
02-10-2013, 08:49 PM
Chris Broussard ‏@Chris_Broussard (https://twitter.com/Chris_Broussard) Nets going hard after Josh Smith, sources say. While they've discussed a trade for Ben Gordon, getting Josh is a bigger priority.

Chinook
02-10-2013, 10:01 PM
Chris Broussard ‏@Chris_Broussard (https://twitter.com/Chris_Broussard) Nets going hard after Josh Smith, sources say. While they've discussed a trade for Ben Gordon, getting Josh is a bigger priority.

Like that's going to happen. They have nothing to offer.

But that does bring up an interesting question: Who wins this bidding? Who's even in the running?

benefactor
02-10-2013, 10:07 PM
No one. With the new financial constraints no one is giving him the max contract he wants...which means no one will give up any sort of real assets to acquire him.

Chinook
02-10-2013, 10:47 PM
It sucks for Atlanta that Smith's deal didn't expire last season. Then they totally could have tricked the Nets into giving up that lottery pick.

Mel_13
02-12-2013, 12:38 PM
FWIW:

The Spurs are among the teams with interest in Hawks forward Josh Smith, a source told Yahoo! Sports. Keep in mind, Hawks general manager Danny Ferry was previously with the Spurs.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--nba-power-rankings--spurs-still-the-best-162422963.html

Mugen
02-12-2013, 02:27 PM
Ferry using the Spurs to sweeten potential deals for Smoove. Good move.

I would not be in favor of sending Jack/Tiago to ATL for a 3 month rental of Josh. He's a low IQ player with huge lockerrom issues. Pass.

mo7888
02-12-2013, 07:53 PM
I would only make a trade like that if it were SJax + either Mills, CJoseph, or De Colo and a pick. I would not give up Splitter in a JSmith trade.

exstatic
02-17-2013, 11:12 PM
I would only make a trade like that if it were SJax + either Mills, CJoseph, or De Colo and a pick. I would not give up Splitter in a JSmith trade.
Why not? They'll never re-sign both of them this summer. That would put them $10M over the tax, at least. There is no way in hell the Spurs will ever do that.

If you view Smith as anything other than a rental, you almost HAVE to send Tiago out in trade.

Bruno
02-18-2013, 05:32 AM
Why not? They'll never re-sign both of them this summer. That would put them $10M over the tax, at least. There is no way in hell the Spurs will ever do that.

If you view Smith as anything other than a rental, you almost HAVE to send Tiago out in trade.

Strange. When I do projections for next year salaries, I have Spurs being able to keep Smith, Splitter and Ginobili and being able to stay below the tax.

admiralsnackbar
02-18-2013, 07:36 AM
Strange. When I do projections for next year salaries, I have Spurs being able to keep Smith, Splitter and Ginobili and being able to stay below the tax.

It's not too soon to need to be thinking about Kawhi's contract the following year. I'm sure we could front-load a contract for Ginobili to earn less his last season or two, but there's no guarantee Smith would go for such a deal. Beyond that, the price of retaining Splitter is so tied to what looks to be acute market demand that projecting a salary for him would seem to be tricky business... What sort of rubric are you using on Splitter's value to base your projection on, if you don't mind my asking?

Bruno
02-18-2013, 08:50 AM
It's not too soon to need to be thinking about Kawhi's contract the following year.

Kawhi new contract would start in 2015-2016 and not the following year. Spurs don't have a single player under contract in 2015-2016.

What sort of rubric are you using on Splitter's value to base your projection on, if you don't mind my asking?

In the worst case scenario salary-wise (Diaw and Mills staying, De Colo and Joseph not included in a Smith trade, Spurs not wanting to go over the the tax threshold...), Spurs would have $34M to split between Smith, Splitter and Ginobili. If you put Smith new contract starting at $12M/$14M, Splitter at $10M/$12M and Ginobili at $8M/$10M, the $34M should be enough to keep all 3.

Chinook
02-18-2013, 08:55 AM
It's not too soon to need to be thinking about Kawhi's contract the following year. I'm sure we could front-load a contract for Ginobili to earn less his last season or two, but there's no guarantee Smith would go for such a deal. Beyond that, the price of retaining Splitter is so tied to what looks to be acute market demand that projecting a salary for him would seem to be tricky business... What sort of rubric are you using on Splitter's value to base your projection on, if you don't mind my asking?

If I understand correctly, if Leonard and/or Joseph were to get extensions after next season, their cap numbers wouldn't change for that season (2014-2015). So both Ginobili and Duncan (and Parker if he regresses a lot and the Spurs waive him) could be off the books by the time the extensions take effect.

So Leonard, Splitter and Smith (and Parker if he's not cut or traded) would be the large contracts going into the 2014-2015 season. Joseph and Green are other players who could have re-signed to mid-sized deals, and Baynes and De Colo would either have been re-signed the prior off-season or have already left.

EDIT: Way too slow on my part. Bruno beat me by five mintues.

admiralsnackbar
02-18-2013, 09:19 AM
Kawhi new contract would start in 2015-2016 and not the following year. Spurs don't have a single player under contract in 2015-2016.

In the worst case scenario salary-wise (Diaw and Mills staying, De Colo and Joseph not included in a Smith trade, Spurs not wanting to go over the the tax threshold...), Spurs would have $34M to split between Smith, Splitter and Ginobili. If you put Smith new contract starting at $12M/$14M, Splitter at $10M/$12M and Ginobili at $8M/$10M, the $34M should be enough to keep all 3.

Thanks for the breakdown, Bruno, Chinook. :tu

look_at_g_shred
02-18-2013, 03:57 PM
Yeah..not going to happen.