Clandestino
03-31-2005, 04:31 PM
heard on CNN

desflood
03-31-2005, 04:42 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/03/31/pope1/index.html

travis2
03-31-2005, 04:45 PM
"Last Rites" is something of a misnomer, although it's used often...

The sacrament is called "Anointing of the Sick", and while associated with terminal patients, presence of a terminal condition is not strictly required. "Serious" is sufficient.

Let's not jump to any conclusions just yet...

tlongII
03-31-2005, 04:49 PM

The sacrament is called "Anointing of the Sick", and while associated with terminal patients, presence of a terminal condition is not strictly required. "Serious" is sufficient.

Dude is an old, old man. He will be dead very soon.

bigzak25
03-31-2005, 04:50 PM
well, according to eurotrip, they will ring the bell when he dies....so wait for it.

Godbless the man, and as i've said, I just don't want him to suffer.....

TheWriter
03-31-2005, 04:51 PM
That's my father!!!!

travis2
03-31-2005, 04:51 PM
Official word from the Vatican is "high fever due to urinary tract infection".

No official words concerning Anointing of the Sick.

That is evidently from 1 (or 2) Italian news services.

CosmicCowboy
03-31-2005, 04:53 PM
Dude is an old, old man. He will be dead very soon.

well...one tastless post deserves another...

Jim, you keep up with this stuff...what are the Vegas odds on the Pope/Schiavo race to the finish line?

TheWriter
03-31-2005, 04:53 PM
The roof, the roof, the roof is on fire.

TheWriter
03-31-2005, 04:54 PM
well...one tastless post deserves another...

Jim, you keep up with this stuff...what are the Vegas odds on the Pope/Schiavo race to the finish line?

Pope by a mile.

Terri would run in circles before she figured out that she wasn't fat.

desflood
03-31-2005, 05:11 PM
Pope's 'Living Will' Wants Life Support to the End

Mar 31, 2:06 AM (ET)

By Tom Heneghan, Religion Editor

PARIS (Reuters) - Pope John Paul, now being fed through a nasal tube because of his throat problems, effectively wrote his own "living will" last year in a speech declaring some life-extending treatments a moral duty for Roman Catholics.

The ailing Pontiff sharply narrowed Catholic guidelines for treating patients nearing death in March 2004 when he described tube-feeding as a normal treatment rather than an extraordinary measure that can be stopped if all hope of recovery fades.

This indicates he would want to be kept alive by artificial means even if he fell into a coma or a persistent vegetative state, such as the brain-damaged Terri Schiavo in the United States whose feeding tubes have been removed after 15 years.

Clandestino
03-31-2005, 05:12 PM

he's been sick many times and they haven't given him last rites for those times.. the other time they gave him last rites was when he was shot... i assume he is barely holding on.

tlongII
03-31-2005, 05:12 PM
They need to get rid of these Popes anyway. The catholic church is a joke.

desflood
03-31-2005, 05:13 PM
At his age and his state of health, this is not something you recover from.

mrblonde17
03-31-2005, 05:59 PM
As a good old Irish Catholic I'm going to take a bit of offense to your Catholic Church is a joke comment. You want to back that up with something more solid than an ad homminem attack?

CosmicCowboy
03-31-2005, 06:20 PM
TLong was just trolling. He's in a bad mood today. His pet sheep has been on the rag all week.

tlongII
03-31-2005, 06:38 PM
As a good old Irish Catholic I'm going to take a bit of offense to your Catholic Church is a joke comment. You want to back that up with something more solid than an ad homminem attack?

Virtually everything about the Catholic Church is a joke. It is too difficult single any one thing out. Their pedophile priests are just the latest in a long line of improprieties the church is responsible for.

Clandestino
03-31-2005, 06:54 PM
Virtually everything about the Catholic Church is a joke. It is too difficult single any one thing out. Their pedophile priests are just the latest in a long line of improprieties the church is responsible for.

what do you do?

tlongII
03-31-2005, 06:59 PM
what do you do?

I work. What do you do?

Clandestino
03-31-2005, 07:01 PM
I work. What do you do?

so, you're a worker? other workers have been pedophiles in your profession... that must mean you're a pedophile too! your job must cease to exist

tlongII
03-31-2005, 07:03 PM
so, you're a worker? other workers have been pedophiles in your profession... that must mean you're a pedophile too! your job must cease to exist

I don't think my profession would take pains to conceal the fact that workers were pedophiles.

CosmicCowboy
03-31-2005, 07:07 PM
TLong lives in a very open minded part of the country. They are all about disclosure and coming out of the closet. He was even able to come out of the closet on his sheepophilia without being subjected to the ridicule he would have experienced in Texas.

tlongII
03-31-2005, 07:13 PM
CC, can't you let me antagonize people in here without you starting jokes about it?

CosmicCowboy
03-31-2005, 07:16 PM
sorry TLong. I know you really love her.

JoeChalupa
03-31-2005, 08:13 PM
He's in my prayers.