PDA

View Full Version : Dallas natives and those who visit....

JoeChalupa
06-15-2009, 09:37 PM
I'll be in Dallas for a couple of days next week and I've checked out the website for visitors and such but I wanted to see if there are any Spurstalk unknown places to chow down at. Any, in the words of Food Network and Guy F., are there any good drive-ins, diners or dives I might want to check out?
For this one time, forget my tendency to be...frugal and let me know where I can go to get some good grub. Be it a nice fat burger or some damn good chicken fried steak or some of the best seafood you've had in Dallas.
I don't want to go to no chain restaurant. Help me out.
Thanks!!!

Spurminator
06-15-2009, 09:45 PM
If you like a good burger, go to Jake's or Burger House. If you like a good burger in a bar with good music and cheap beer, go to Adair's Saloon.

JoeChalupa
06-15-2009, 09:47 PM
If you like a good burger, go to Jake's or Burger House. If you like a good burger in a bar with good music and cheap beer, go to Adair's Saloon.

Oh yes. Already looking good. Thanks.

jcrod
06-15-2009, 09:54 PM
It been a couple of years since i've been in Dallas, but when i lived and visit there i always ate at this Mexican Restaurant right next to White Rock Lake. La Parrillada Tacos - 7260 Gaston Ave close to town. Don't let the name fool you, its a great romantic place. Not a taquirea, its a nice restaurant. Weekends they play latin jazz. Love that place.

Where are you staying by?

JoeChalupa
06-15-2009, 09:56 PM
I'll be staying at the Drury Inn Airport.

jcrod
06-15-2009, 10:02 PM
I'll be staying at the Drury Inn Airport.

Ok, then its a littles out of the way. Hit up those free happy hr drinks. By the ariport....hmmm.

JoeChalupa
06-15-2009, 10:06 PM
We'll probably head down to the "Arts" area and do some picture taking. I see they have some awesome locations to take some great pics. I just figure it is better to get some feedback from some who have been there or live there.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-15-2009, 11:00 PM
hit up any of the Babe's Chicken restaurants for some country cooking. angry dog in deep ellum has a good burger and hot dog. for mescan food hit up ojeda's. these are all more towards dallas. a bit east from where you'll be. you're close to arlington so go to jim's burgers if you want a good grease burger.

DPG21920
06-16-2009, 12:39 AM
Where in Dallas are you?

stretch
06-16-2009, 02:25 PM

No, if you want a real fucking burger, go to Wingfields. It's in Oak Cliff, so you gotta be willing to go to a pretty ghetto area... but they have the best fucking burgers you will ever eat. Not even joking. If you want a burger there, you usually have to call in. Sometimes it gets so busy with people waiting and call-in orders, that you have to wait an hour. But if you wanna have a great burger, I would STRONGLY recommend calling in to have one made. Their fries are damn good too, but a single bacon cheeseburger is usually enough food, as they are so big that most people can't finish them. I can eat a lot of food, but I haven't even bothered touching a double cheeseburger from them. T-Park might be the only one here who can handle one of those.

You may think I'm joking, but I'm serious.

This. burger. will. change. your. life.

u2sarajevo
06-16-2009, 02:33 PM
http://maps.google.com/maps?daddr=1900+Long+Prairie+Rd+%23+156,+Flower+Mo und,+TX+75022+(Anamia%27s)&geocode=%3BFXa39wEd6dM2-iGWe7R1cIqWBA&dirflg=&saddr=4210+W+Airport+Fwy,+Irving,+TX+75062&f=d&hl=en&dq=anamia+loc:+4210+W+Airport+Fwy,+Irving,+TX+7506 2&sll=32.923797,-97.039244&sspn=0.210664,0.1524&cid=330603838274042774&ie=UTF8&ll=32.838635,-97.176819&spn=0.358266,0.727844&z=11

Viva Las Espuelas
06-16-2009, 02:33 PM
No, if you want a real fucking burger, go to Wingfields. It's in Oak Cliff, so you gotta be willing to go to a pretty ghetto area... but they have the best fucking burgers you will ever eat. Not even joking. If you want a burger there, you usually have to call in. Sometimes it gets so busy with people waiting and call-in orders, that you have to wait an hour. But if you wanna have a great burger, I would STRONGLY recommend calling in to have one made. Their fries are damn good too, but a single bacon cheeseburger is usually enough food, as they are so big that most people can't finish them. I can eat a lot of food, but I haven't even bothered touching a double cheeseburger from them. T-Park might be the only one here who can handle one of those.

cool. i'm going to have to check that out someday

ashbeeigh
06-16-2009, 03:00 PM

Where were you in 2007? That was right close to where I was. lame. Yet another excuse to go to Dallas sometime before August for me.

Joe--If you're looking for the artsy fartsy stuff the Deep Ellum and downtown area is the best. The DART will take you anywhere in that area (and come to mention it..pretty much anywhere in Dallas...if I remember correctly).

leemajors
06-16-2009, 03:06 PM
get the cheese fries at snuffer's

G-Nob
06-16-2009, 03:17 PM
Check out village burger bar in the west village. Sweet potato fries are awesome and its great people watching.

thumbs up on angry dog in deep ellum but deep ellum is dead at night!

down the street from angry dog is a cool new place called cowboy chow. You go in, sit down and its like eating on a cattle drive with "cookie" wrestlin up the grub.

check out matitto's on cedar springs or Herrera's on maple ave. Both two very fine mexican restaurants.

Keller's Drive In on Northwest Hwy is one of the coolest places to sit on your tailgate and eat a great burger. Go on Friday or Saturday night if possible. (cash only!)

DPG21920
06-16-2009, 03:19 PM
why does he need to stay out of deep ellum at night? :lol it is not that bad at all.

G-Nob
06-16-2009, 03:26 PM
why does he need to stay out of deep ellum at night? :lol it is not that bad at all.

When was the last time you were out there? The place is dead and all the bars are closing shop. If you want to experience Dallas the right way go to the hoppin places at night. (i.e. mckinney ave, west village or lower greenville ave) Deep Ellum and the West End are the two worst places a visitor could go.

EricB
06-16-2009, 03:30 PM
Remember, all the places he goes to have to serve free stuff, nothing to pay for. Big no no.

chreph
06-16-2009, 03:35 PM
I thought Twisted Root was pretty good and I didn't think Deep Ellum was THAT bad. Went to Warehouse Live for a concert and stood outside afterwards for a good while and didn't ever feel threatened. If you like Pancakes, we went to the original pancake house and enjoyed it very much. I wanna try out that place that all the cowboys used to eat it back in the day before games. I think they have some crazy breakfast sandwich named after nate newton (or one of the OL)

Houston is WAY worse... almost got mugged by the downtown aquarium (which is a waste of time unless you're 4, BTW). :lol

JoeChalupa
06-16-2009, 04:12 PM
Remember, all the places he goes to have to serve free stuff, nothing to pay for. Big no no.

:lol I already got with the visitor's center for any deals and coupons. But when I'm on vacation I spend baby!!

Thanks for the recommendations. We will drive up to Dallas in the morning and spend the day playing tourist and then go to the Inn to mellow out. Hope to hit a place for good burger and dinner.

stretch
06-16-2009, 04:32 PM
Where were you in 2007? That was right close to where I was. lame. Yet another excuse to go to Dallas sometime before August for me.

Joe--If you're looking for the artsy fartsy stuff the Deep Ellum and downtown area is the best. The DART will take you anywhere in that area (and come to mention it..pretty much anywhere in Dallas...if I remember correctly).

Yeah you missed out. I've had some pretty good burgers, a lot of places that are rated "#1 Burger Around!!!" or "Voted Best Burger in bla-bla city 185 years and counting!!!" but this place is by far the best. I'd say one of my favorite burger places is Red Robin (good ass burgers there too), and there is a very noticable difference between them and Wingfields.

DART is awesome. I take it to work everyday. Saves me at least $200 a month in gas alone. Not to mention the headaches and potential for wrecks with dumbshits who don't know how to drive.

stretch
06-16-2009, 04:33 PM
cool. i'm going to have to check that out someday

if you live in dallas, i STRONGLY recommend checking it out.

stretch
06-16-2009, 04:40 PM
If you happen to be nearby Plano, and want some breakfast/home cooking, check out Poor Richards, off of Park Blvd and Ave K (very close to Park Blvd / US 75).

If you are in the McKinney area and need a Cajun/beer fix, check out Dodie's, off of 75 and Eldorado I believe.

chreph
06-16-2009, 04:48 PM
I like burgers from Red Robin... and I like the food at Chili's and Olive Garden, too. Just because something is chain doesn't automatically make it bad. That's like the people who think a band/cd is awesome until it goes gold/platinum and then denounce it as trash :lol

Since it's turned slightly into a burger thread, for those that live in Dallas who may visit SA, check out Armadillo's (used to be Little Hipps) :toast

stretch
06-16-2009, 04:52 PM
I like burgers from Red Robin... and I like the food at Chili's and Olive Garden, too. Just because something is chain doesn't automatically make it bad. That's like the people who think a band/cd is awesome until it goes gold/platinum and then denounce it as trash :lol

yeah people who do that are fags

JoeChalupa
06-16-2009, 04:58 PM

Since it's turned slightly into a burger thread, for those that live in Dallas who may visit SA, check out Armadillo's (used to be Little Hipps) :toast

I too love Red Robbin, just went to Chili's on Sunday we also enjoy Olive Garden. I just wanted to try something different since I was watching Diners, Drive INs and Dives on the Food Channel.
Also noticed that El Camino is now Chuy's off of the Forum.
We hit Mama's Cafe once a month with our buy one get one free coupon. Nothing wrong with some of the restaurant chain places.

JoeChalupa
06-16-2009, 05:09 PM
funny because my brother and i were driving yesterday and saw a red robin and both briefly talked about how shitty that place is

:lol You'll always find someone who hates what you like. I always hear nothing but complaints about Olive Garden yet the place is always packed.
I really like Red Robin Burgers and those endless fries.

Spurminator
06-16-2009, 05:32 PM
If you're in the mood for barbecue I recommend Anderson's on Harry Hines.

ShoogarBear
06-16-2009, 05:56 PM
Why don't you go to the Jonas Bros. concert with jack?

stretch
06-16-2009, 06:57 PM

Oh shit, how did I forget about Mike Andersons? That place is fucking good.

stretch
06-16-2009, 06:57 PM
what is your favorite restaurant 4cc

mookie2001
06-16-2009, 07:52 PM
dont say 4cc its too crowded already

its like in a northern suburb of far north plano, like north of north richland hills

mookie2001
06-16-2009, 07:53 PM
north

mFFL03
06-16-2009, 11:39 PM
yelp.com for anything else you need, they are about 80% right for things in dallas.

plan to bar hop a little? I suggest knox and henderson.

Don't forget to check out the 1st place TEXAS RANGERS if you have a chance.

Tits McGee
06-16-2009, 11:45 PM
yelp.com for anything else you need, they are about 80% right for things in dallas.

plan to bar hop a little? I suggest knox and henderson.

Don't forget to check out the 1st place TEXAS RANGERS if you have a chance.

Fuck baseball :td

Viva Las Espuelas
06-17-2009, 12:14 AM
damn. how could i have forgotten. your post reminded me of the burgers at Hole in the Wall on hines. it really is a hole in the wall. it's a blues bar, but the burgers and fries are pretty damn good. i'd go here compared to Keller's which is just down the street.

stretch
06-17-2009, 08:37 AM
crookie is right

everytime i tell someone about my favorite place to eat in austin they start going every week. don't want too many anglophones in there

you attract men rofl

monosylab1k
06-17-2009, 09:21 AM
It's way out in the boondocks but if you want the best barbecue in the Dallas "area" then go to Big Daddy's in Lavon.

sribb43
06-17-2009, 09:50 AM
I thought Twisted Root was pretty good and I didn't think Deep Ellum was THAT bad.

We went to Twisted Root on saturday and yes, it was damn good. We went around 6:00pm and the line was pretty long....took us about 20 minutes to order but it was worth the wait. Deep Elum isnt that bad especially during the day. No worries here

stretch
06-17-2009, 10:04 AM
It's way out in the boondocks but if you want the best barbecue in the Dallas "area" then go to Big Daddy's in Lavon.

Mike Andersons > Big Daddy's

no joke

Viva Las Espuelas
06-17-2009, 10:12 AM
Mike Andersons > Big Daddy's

no joke
man, i'm going to have to try mike anderson's. where on hines is it? more towards northwest hwy or lbj?

there is one bbq place in between garland and rowlett that's pretty damn good. i just don't know the name. it's a little shack and it's all carry out. i smelled the food from my car when i drove passed it. it's right before forest turns into 66 if you're going north on forest off of lbj. once the road forks you need to turn around and head back to see the place. just roll down your window and follow your nose.

JoeChalupa
06-17-2009, 11:22 AM
I may check out Twisted Root.

sribb43
06-17-2009, 11:27 AM
I may check out Twisted Root.

there is also one in richardson off 75 and campbell

stretch
06-17-2009, 12:05 PM
man, i'm going to have to try mike anderson's. where on hines is it? more towards northwest hwy or lbj?

there is one bbq place in between garland and rowlett that's pretty damn good. i just don't know the name. it's a little shack and it's all carry out. i smelled the food from my car when i drove passed it. it's right before forest turns into 66 if you're going north on forest off of lbj. once the road forks you need to turn around and head back to see the place. just roll down your window and follow your nose.

i havent ate there but i know what you are talking about. a friend of mine who lives in that area has told me about it.

angrydude
06-17-2009, 02:01 PM
go to Ft Worth instead.

manufan10
06-17-2009, 02:14 PM
The two restaurants that I remember where Papasitos and Texadelphia. Those were pretty good, although Papasitos was pretty high priced, but the food was damn good.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-18-2009, 04:32 PM
so what did you hit up, joe?

stretch
06-18-2009, 04:38 PM

I heard of a place that sells really good burgers, that gives out free beer or something, since they don't have a liquor license. Don't know the name of it though. For some reason, I'm thinking it's the Angry Dog, but I can't be sure.

Can't beat free beer though.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-18-2009, 04:56 PM
I heard of a place that sells really good burgers, that gives out free beer or something, since they don't have a liquor license. Don't know the name of it though. For some reason, I'm thinking it's the Angry Dog, but I can't be sure.

Can't beat free beer though.it's not The Dog, but they do have really good burgers.

monosylab1k
06-18-2009, 05:03 PM

Can't beat free beer though.

Fat Daddy's

Two free beers per person!

JoeChalupa
06-18-2009, 05:46 PM
Fat Daddy's

Two free beers per person!

Now that is my kind of place. :tu :lol

JoeChalupa
06-18-2009, 05:46 PM
so what did you hit up, joe?

I'll be there next week and I'll report back and how it went.

AmericanPsycho
06-18-2009, 05:59 PM
The art section of Dallas is pretty cool.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-18-2009, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the recommendations. We will drive up to Dallas in the morning and spend the day playing tourist and then go to the Inn to mellow out. Hope to hit a place for good burger and dinner.

I'll be there next week and I'll report back and how it went.

puff. puff. give, dude.