PDA

View Full Version : Obama's Health Care Infomercial

DarrinS
06-16-2009, 09:50 AM
Obama's Health Care Infomercial, "Prescription For America" will be broadcast by the state-run ABC on June 24 and will include no voices of opposition.

http://www.drudgereport.com/flashaot.htm

ABC TURNS PROGRAMMING OVER TO OBAMA; NEWS TO BE ANCHORED FROM INSIDE WHITE HOUSE
Tue Jun 16 2009 08:45:10 ET

On the night of June 24, the media and government become one, when ABC turns its programming over to President Obama and White House officials to push government run health care -- a move that has ignited an ethical firestorm!

Highlights on the agenda:

ABCNEWS anchor Charlie Gibson will deliver WORLD NEWS from the Blue Room of the White House.

The network plans a primetime special -- 'Prescription for America' -- originating from the East Room, exclude opposing voices on the debate.

MORE

Late Monday night, Republican National Committee Chief of Staff Ken McKay fired off a complaint to the head of ABCNEWS:

Dear Mr. Westin:

As the national debate on health care reform intensifies, I am deeply concerned and disappointed with ABC's astonishing decision to exclude opposing voices on this critical issue on June 24, 2009. Next Wednesday, ABC News will air a primetime health care reform “town hall” at the White House with President Barack Obama. In addition, according to an ABC News report, GOOD MORNING AMERICA, WORLD NEWS, NIGHTLINE and ABC’s web news “will all feature special programming on the president’s health care agenda.” This does not include the promotion, over the next 9 days, the president’s health care agenda will receive on ABC News programming.

Today, the Republican National Committee requested an opportunity to add our Party's views to those of the President's to ensure that all sides of the health care reform debate are presented. Our request was rejected. I believe that the President should have the ability to speak directly to the America people. However, I find it outrageous that ABC would prohibit our Party's opposing thoughts and ideas from this national debate, which affects millions of ABC viewers.

In the absence of opposition, I am concerned this event will become a glorified infomercial to promote the Democrat agenda. If that is the case, this primetime infomercial should be paid for out of the DNC coffers. President Obama does not hold a monopoly on health care reform ideas or on free airtime. The President has stated time and time again that he wants a bipartisan debate. Therefore, the Republican Party should be included in this primetime event, or the DNC should pay for your airtime.

Respectfully,
Ken McKay
Republican National Committee
Chief of Staff

MORE

ABCNEWS Senior Vice President Kerry Smith on Tuesday responded to the RNC complaint, saying it contained 'false premises':

"ABCNEWS prides itself on covering all sides of important issues and asking direct questions of all newsmakers -- of all political persuasions -- even when others have taken a more partisan approach and even in the face of criticism from extremes on both ends of the political spectrum. ABCNEWS is looking for the most thoughtful and diverse voices on this issue.

"ABCNEWS alone will select those who will be in the audience asking questions of the president. Like any programs we broadcast, ABC News will have complete editorial control. To suggest otherwise is quite unfair to both our journalists and our audience."

Developing...

George Gervin's Afro
06-16-2009, 10:07 AM
So what? Fox news bashes him non stop 24 hrs a day without anyone to refute what they report. What's the difference?

Why can't the guy go on TV and sell his plan without being interrupted?

coyotes_geek
06-16-2009, 10:15 AM
So what? Fox news bashes him non stop 24 hrs a day without anyone to refute what they report. What's the difference?

Translated: Government controlled media is okay when I like the guys who are in power.

George Gervin's Afro
06-16-2009, 10:35 AM
Translated: Government controlled media is okay when I like the guys who are in power.

So are you saying that the president shouldn't go on network TV to sell any of his policies?

If not, what is your beef?

I guess in your world Rush limbuagh should be sitting right next to him refuting his policy point by point. Is that what you want?

Viva Las Espuelas
06-16-2009, 10:37 AM

So are you saying that the president shouldn't go on network TV to sell any of his policies?

I guess in your world Rush limbuagh should be sitting right next to him refuting his policy point by point. Is that what you want?

we have 10 blue channels to 1 red channel..

your pom poms must be in tatters

George Gervin's Afro
06-16-2009, 10:38 AM
your pom poms must be in tatters

Sorry but I have to continually expose your untruths and hypocrisy.. it's very simple.

Nice to see you pulled a Fox news and misquoted me.. great job!:lmao

Viva Las Espuelas
06-16-2009, 10:42 AM
Nice to see you pulled a Fox news and misquoted me.. great job!:lmaothey're direct quotes, jackass. dope is a hell of a drug

George Gervin's Afro
06-16-2009, 10:46 AM
they're direct quotes, jackass. dope is a hell of a drug

Where is the rest of my statement then? Oh wait, if you put the whole statement you would look like a jack ass.. got it.. How very fox news of you.....

Not only did you pull out one comment you aren't refuting my point in that post..you are a jackass!:lmao

Viva Las Espuelas
06-16-2009, 10:50 AM
Where is the rest of my statement then? Oh wait, if you put the whole statement you would look like a jack ass.. got it.. How very fox news of you.....

Not only did you pull out one comment you aren't refuting my point in that post..you are a jackass!:lmao
wow you really need to put the pipe down.

Winehole23
06-16-2009, 10:51 AM
Related: http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/2009/04/21/pulitzer/index.html

Viva Las Espuelas
06-16-2009, 10:55 AM

it's a shame that doesn't get airtime. i wish more of that would happen. i wish hillary would have given the american people a reset button.

LnGrrrR
06-16-2009, 10:58 AM
Obama's Health Care Infomercial, "Prescription For America" will be broadcast by the state-run ABC on June 24 and will include no voices of opposition.

http://www.drudgereport.com/flashaot.htm

:lmao

I thought conservatives didn't want a Fairness Doctrine?

George Gervin's Afro
06-16-2009, 10:59 AM
wow you really need to put the pipe down.

No problem. I'd back away from this as quickly as possible as well.

DarrinS
06-16-2009, 10:59 AM

Yeah, all the major networks were definitely pro Bush and pro Iraq war for the past several years. :rolleyes

LnGrrrR
06-16-2009, 11:00 AM
it's a shame that doesn't get airtime. i wish more of that would happen. i wish hillary would have given the american people a reset button.

There's no way that the news agencies, which were complicit in that story, are going to out themselves as bad apples.

LnGrrrR
06-16-2009, 11:01 AM
Yeah, all the major networks were definitely pro Bush and pro Iraq war for the past several years. :rolleyes

Did you even read the article more than halfway down?

DarrinS
06-16-2009, 11:04 AM
Did you even read the article more than halfway down?

I read some of it. I'm shocked that retired military generals would have any ties to military contractors or have ideologies that are conservative, hawkish, or pro-military. :wow If the mainstream networks were looking for truly unbiased analysts (by their standards, this would mean anti-Bush, antiwar, etc.), they should have just done a better job of vetting their hired talking heads.

LnGrrrR
06-16-2009, 11:21 AM
I read some of it. I'm shocked that retired military generals would have any ties to military contractors or have ideologies that are conservative, hawkish, or pro-military. :wow If the mainstream networks were looking for truly unbiased analysts (by their standards, this would mean anti-Bush, antiwar, etc.), they should have just done a better job of vetting their hired talking heads.

That's the whole point of the article.

That, and if they had DISCLOSED the connection, then it would've been much less controversial.

After all, if I'm stumping for Company X and my brother runs the company, I should probably mention it.

BacktoBasics
06-16-2009, 11:24 AM
I for one expect that every car dealership commercial also include opposing views on their offered deals.

fyatuk
06-16-2009, 11:31 AM

I'm just sick of seeing him on TV. He puts himself on a ridiculous amount of times.

DarrinS
06-16-2009, 12:03 PM
I for one expect that every car dealership commercial also include opposing views on their offered deals.

Great analogy. :rolleyes

ElNono
06-16-2009, 12:34 PM
Wait, Fox News is restrained from commenting on the infomercial before/after it is shown?

BTW, you can change the channel too.

fyatuk
06-16-2009, 12:46 PM

Big diffenece being a user car dealership pays for their time, and I assume Obama is getting his free. If he's paying for it (and I mean him, or the DNC, not the UST), no problem. If he's getting it for free, or it's being paid for by the UST, then there's a valid argument for opposing viewpoints to be shown.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-16-2009, 12:51 PM

Somehow, I doubt you would have felt the same about Bush doing this.

coyotes_geek
06-16-2009, 12:59 PM

Whenver the President gives a state of the union address immediately following the opposition party gets a chance to give their view on things. Why can't ABC do the same thing here? Let Obama give his pitch, uninterrupted, then let someone like Mitch McConnell or some other elected Republican give their side, uninterrputed. What's the harm in letting Americans hear differing points of view? Especially when it involves something as massive as health care reform, and especially considering how large a percentage of our country believes that the media is slanted one way or the other.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-16-2009, 01:09 PM
If he's getting it for free, or it's being paid for by the UST, then there's a valid argument for opposing viewpoints to be shown.
good point. i hope somebody asks that question. i guess this is where the evil fox news comes in

ElNono
06-16-2009, 01:19 PM
Somehow, I doubt you would have felt the same about Bush doing this.

He did it with the war in Iraq and the bailout... I don't think anybody complained about him doing it, even though some didn't agree with the proposals overall.

Stump
06-16-2009, 01:45 PM
whenver the president gives a state of the union address immediately following the opposition party gets a chance to give their view on things. Why can't abc do the same thing here? Let obama give his pitch, uninterrupted, then let someone like mitch mcconnell or some other elected republican give their side, uninterrputed. What's the harm in letting americans hear differing points of view? Especially when it involves something as massive as health care reform, and especially considering how large a percentage of our country believes that the media is slanted one way or the other.

+1

ElNono
06-16-2009, 01:49 PM
Whenver the President gives a state of the union address immediately following the opposition party gets a chance to give their view on things. Why can't ABC do the same thing here? Let Obama give his pitch, uninterrupted, then let someone like Mitch McConnell or some other elected Republican give their side, uninterrputed. What's the harm in letting Americans hear differing points of view? Especially when it involves something as massive as health care reform, and especially considering how large a percentage of our country believes that the media is slanted one way or the other.

They can and they will. You simply need to tune into Fox News...

Crookshanks
06-16-2009, 02:45 PM
he's the PRESIDENT

our LEADER

he WON

get over it

Blind, idiot, sheeple koolaid drinkers like you are the reason Obama is getting away with ruining this country and making the most massive power grab in American history.

George Gervin's Afro
06-16-2009, 02:51 PM
Blind, idiot, sheeple koolaid drinkers like you are the reason Obama is getting away with ruining this country and making the most massive power grab in American history.

Sincerely,

a ditto head..

Viva Las Espuelas
06-16-2009, 02:55 PM

Sincerely,

a ditto head..

angrydude
06-16-2009, 02:57 PM
As bias as Foxnews is they've never done anything this bold before. ABC just lost all sense of independence.

SnakeBoy
06-16-2009, 03:06 PM
So what? Fox news bashes him non stop 24 hrs a day without anyone to refute what they report.

That's bullshit. Fox always has a lib on to argue the other side. Sure they usually pick ones that are easily pwned but at least they make an effort to maintain the illusion of fairness.

FaithInOne
06-16-2009, 03:16 PM
I hope Big Brother has some nice theme music at least.

Bender
06-16-2009, 03:18 PM

4cc seems like a blind idiot, but I'm thinking now that he may just be playing one, for a joke

Marcus Bryant
06-16-2009, 06:44 PM
Of course we would see the media team up with the presidency for a reality show. Maybe Obama can take on ten interns and have them handle affairs of state while competing for a permanent job in the bureaucracy.

ElNono
06-16-2009, 09:18 PM
As bias as Foxnews is they've never done anything this bold before. ABC just lost all sense of independence.

Just now? It's been like that for a while now. If you want truly political-independent journalism you're better off watching the Deutsche Welle, International BBC channel, RAI and the other bunch of international media.

Kori Ellis
06-16-2009, 10:15 PM
I don't have anything to contribute to this thread other than I don't appreciate Obama spamming my email box asking for contributions for health care when I already unsubcribed to his newsletter :td

PixelPusher
06-16-2009, 10:21 PM
They can and they will. You simply need to tune into Fox News...

How quickly they forget...

S5gNOete1mo

DarrinS
06-16-2009, 10:26 PM
I don't have anything to contribute to this thread other than I don't appreciate Obama spamming my email box asking for contributions for health care when I already unsubcribed to his newsletter :td

Really?

I hate getting spam, even political spam. I delete all the GOP bullshit.

DarrinS
06-16-2009, 10:28 PM
Just now? It's been like that for a while now. If you want truly political-independent journalism you're better off watching the Deutsche Welle, International BBC channel, RAI and the other bunch of international media.

This is actually a good point. BBC America and PBS have halfway decent news programs.

Winehole23
06-16-2009, 10:30 PM
(redacted)

ploto
06-16-2009, 10:42 PM
So every press conference or televised speech from the President should include a rebuttal? This is ONE network showing their news coverage how they choose and televising an event they have set up.

Winehole23
06-16-2009, 10:57 PM
So every press conference or televised speech from the President should include a rebuttal? This is ONE network showing their news coverage how they choose and televising an event they have set up.The criticism strikes me as overblown, too. And the *equal time* gripe is dissonant in the mouths of soi disant conservatives.

SnakeBoy
06-16-2009, 11:01 PM

I sent Cornyn an email telling him I would vote against him if he voted for the bailout. No response to that but now I get all kinds of crap from his office telling me how wonderful he is.

Wild Cobra
06-16-2009, 11:15 PM

http://www.drudgereport.com/flashaot.htm:lmao

This is pointing out the imbalance. It's not asking for controlling anything.

Since when is asking for equal time, equated to forcing equal time?

Face it. This is allot of free political advertisement time. Look at the cost of countering such an argument that effectively costs nothing.

Yes, ABC will be known as the democrat run media.

Kori Ellis
06-16-2009, 11:16 PM
Really?

Kori --

Last year, millions of Americans came together for a great purpose.

Folks like you assembled a grassroots movement that shocked the political establishment and changed the course of our nation. When Washington insiders counted us out, we put it all on the line and changed our democracy from the bottom up. But that's not why we did it.

The pundits told us it was impossible -- that the donations working people could afford and the hours volunteers could give would never loosen the vise grip of big money and powerful special interests. We proved them wrong. But as important as that was, that's not why we did it.

Today, spiraling health care costs are pushing our families and businesses to the brink of ruin, while millions of Americans go without the care they desperately need. Fixing this broken system will be enormously difficult. But we can succeed. The chance to make fundamental change like this in people's daily lives -- that is why we did it.

The campaign to pass real health care reform in 2009 is the biggest test of our movement since the election. Once again, victory is far from certain. Our opposition will be fierce, and they have been down this road before. To prevail, we must once more build a coast-to-coast operation ready to knock on doors, deploy volunteers, get out the facts, and show the world how real change happens in America.

And just like before, I cannot do it without your support.

So I'm asking you to remember all that you gave over the last two years to get us here -- all the time, resources, and faith you invested as a down payment to earn us our place at this crossroads in history. All that you've done has led up to this -- and whether or not our country takes the next crucial step depends on what you do right now.

Please donate whatever you can afford to support the campaign for real health care reform in 2009.

It doesn't matter how much you can give, as long as you give what you can. Millions of families on the brink are counting on us to do just that. I know we can deliver.

Thank you, so much, for getting us this far. And thank you for standing up once again to take us the rest of the way.

Sincerely,

President Barack Obama

:td

Viva Las Espuelas
06-17-2009, 12:18 AM
gee, i'm glad we have a cyber czar. he's doin' a heckuva job.

DarrinS
06-17-2009, 07:10 AM
White House Health Reform Communications Director is Former ABC News Correspondent (http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/abc/white_house_health_reform_communications_director_ is_former_abc_news_correspondent_119126.asp)

• It turns out the Director of Communications for the White House Office of Health Reform, since last month, is former ABC News correspondent Linda Douglass, who left journalism last year to join the Obama campaign. This is leading some to wonder whether ABC News had the upper hand in landing the president for the primetime special as well as an interview on GMA and allowing two ABC News broadcasts to originate from the White House next week. An ABC News spokesperson, however, says there's no connection between Douglass and ABC's access. The network approached the administration days after the inauguration and pitched the idea of a White House town hall meeting, says the spokesperson.

• As for the RNC/ABC flap we wrote about earlier, Roy Peter Clark, of the Poynter Institute tells THR: "I see no ethical requirement for ABC to say 'we're highlighting the president's plan today so we need the official Republican response.' That's the kind of thing you see on the State of the Union Address. It's much more important for the network to test the claims the administration makes about its policies -- that will be the test of fairness, not some sort of ritual nod to the other side."

George Gervin's Afro
06-17-2009, 08:19 AM
White House Health Reform Communications Director is Former ABC News Correspondent (http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/abc/white_house_health_reform_communications_director_ is_former_abc_news_correspondent_119126.asp)

Next thing your going to tell me that Tony Snow worked at Fox News before he was the WH Press Secretary...oh wait.

TeyshaBlue
06-17-2009, 09:42 AM

As conservative, I don't demand equal time. I ask that this program be recognized for what it is....an unabashed forum for Obama's Healtchare initiative. If ABC wants to do a news special on healthcare reform...then they can go knock themselves out. However, hosting the "news" program from the Whitehouse with President Obama as the primary participant is disingenuous at best.

That being said, as a pragmatist, I lean toward a single-payor model, so I'm not innately hostile towards Obama's viewpoint. I am hostile towards the notion that an "independant" news organization will roll-over in prime-time.
And for the equivalentists in this thread (Bush did it, et. al:sleep), get a grown-up to explain the concept of situational ethics to you.

TeyshaBlue
06-17-2009, 09:42 AM
Next thing your going to tell me that Tony Snow worked at Fox News before he was the WH Press Secretary...oh wait.

Non sequitur.

TeyshaBlue
06-17-2009, 09:49 AM
bone sequitur

Winehole23
06-17-2009, 09:52 AM
Non sequitur.Seems analogous to me, though both Darrin and GGA rely on the guilt by association fallacy. The inferences they want us to draw are also mildly post hoc in both directions.