PDA

View Full Version : Ginobili .....Hall of Fame anybody?

howbouthemspurs
06-16-2009, 06:08 PM
Awards

Italian League All-Star: 1999, 2000, 2001
Italian League Most Improved Player: 2000, 2001, 2002
Euroleague Final Four Most Valuable Player: 2001
FIBA Americas Championship Most Valuable Player: 2001
Italian Cup Most Valuable Player: 2002
All-Tournament Team, FIBA World Championship: 2002, 2006
Ideal Olympics Team: 2004
Summer Olympic Games Most Valuable Player: 2004
Olimpia de Oro: 2003, 2004 (shared with Carlos Tévez)
NBA All-Star: 2005
50 Greatest Euroleague Contributors: 2008
NBA Sixth Man of the Year Award: 2008
All-NBA Third Team: 2008

Titles
Italian League Championship: 2001
Italian Cup: 2001, 2002
Euroleague: 2001
Triple Crown: 2001
Americas Championship: 2001
NBA Championship: 2003, 2005, 2007
Summer Olympic Games gold medal: 2004
Summer Olympic Games bronze medal: 2008

He's only been in the NBA for 7 years with at least 5 good years left if healthy. I say at least one more championship and a Finals MVP and I Think he will definatelly get inducted. But thats just me. .......
Thoughts?

DPG21920
06-16-2009, 06:09 PM
Do not know about the last part at the very end, but yes, he will be HOF even if that does not happen.

FromWayDowntown
06-16-2009, 06:10 PM
Ginobili is a lock for the Hall of Fame via the International Committee.

An absolute lock.

sonic21
06-16-2009, 06:12 PM
who decides who's going to the HOF?

sonic21
06-16-2009, 06:15 PM

:wow that's weird

MaNuMaNiAc
06-16-2009, 06:15 PM
In without a shadow of a doubt IMO. Haters flame away

Extra Stout
06-16-2009, 06:20 PM
Ginobili is a lock for the Hall of Fame via the International Committee.

An absolute lock.
Concur. It's obvious.

exstatic
06-16-2009, 06:43 PM
http://www.cksinfo.com/clipart/construction/tools/locks/lock.png

ducks
06-16-2009, 06:45 PM
In without a shadow of a doubt IMO. Haters flame away

I already said he is a lock a long time ago
has nothing to do with what he can do now though

FromWayDowntown
06-16-2009, 07:31 PM
who decides who's going to the HOF?

There are several committees that submit nominees to a greater committee, which ultimately votes. Among the committees is the international committee, which can put up as many as 2 nominees every year among those who are not covered by the North American committee, the Women's committee, and the veteran's committee.

Manu's exploits in the 2002 World Championships (All-Tournament, silver medal), the 2004 Olympics (Gold Medal, Most Valuable Player, , the 2006 World Championships (All-Tournament, 4th place), and the 2008 Olympics (Bronze medal, third in points per game, fifth in assists per game) are going to be enough alone. The fact that his 2004 Argentianian team remains the only non-American team to win an Olympic Gold Medal in the Dream Team era is enough. For the members of the international committee, Ginobili is certainly the beacon to show that a great player in an international tournament can be enough to vanquish the big, bad American teams.

Add to all of that the fact that he's had a much better than average NBA career and he's a mortal lock for Springfield.

Dex
06-16-2009, 08:00 PM
Not to sound condescending but...

Duh.

SenorSpur
06-16-2009, 08:26 PM
Ginobili is as accomplished an international basketball player, as we have seen in a while. He's been a champion at every level he's ever played. An absolute lock for the HOF.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-16-2009, 08:31 PM
There are several committees that submit nominees to a greater committee, which ultimately votes. Among the committees is the international committee, which can put up as many as 2 nominees every year among those who are not covered by the North American committee, the Women's committee, and the veteran's committee.

Manu's exploits in the 2002 World Championships (All-Tournament, silver medal), the 2004 Olympics (Gold Medal, Most Valuable Player, , the 2006 World Championships (All-Tournament, 4th place), and the 2008 Olympics (Bronze medal, third in points per game, fifth in assists per game) are going to be enough alone. The fact that his 2004 Argentianian team remains the only non-American team to win an Olympic Gold Medal in the Dream Team era is enough. For the members of the international committee, Ginobili is certainly the beacon to show that a great player in an international tournament can be enough to vanquish the big, bad American teams.

Add to all of that the fact that he's had a much better than average NBA career and he's a mortal lock for Springfield.

I'll be damned. I had no idea. Well that's fucking cool then. Go Manu :flag:

baseline bum
06-16-2009, 09:24 PM
Winning the gold in Athens made Manu as much of a mortal lock for the HOF as Shaq, Tim, Kobe, and Garnett already are.

urunobili
06-16-2009, 09:53 PM
the OP is forgetting the silver at the 2002 World Cup at Indianapolis...

exstatic
06-16-2009, 10:00 PM
Yeah, Manu will be following the basketball footsteps of Drazen Petrovic, who had a similarly distinguished international career and a similar, although shorter, NBA career, stat wise.

SouthTexasRancher
06-16-2009, 10:25 PM
It will be a
http://www.lockitt.com/images/abuspic/37_80_dt.jpg

lefty
06-16-2009, 10:31 PM
Fuck

You can tell it's summertime @ Spurstalk

NewcastleKEG
06-16-2009, 10:37 PM
Unfortunately I do not believe Ginobili will end up getting in. Let's throw Finals MVP out of the equation because that's HIGHLY unlikely playing alongside Parker and Duncan. If it's any close the award goes to them first.

Now on the other hand if the Spurs were able to win 2 more titles? It's still borderline because his career numbers just don't size up. The original post was that he will play 6 more years? I'd love to see it but I'm looking more along the lines of 3/4 more GREAT seasons. He's already 31 and consistently breaking down - obviously his aggressive playing style contributes to that.

Career wise he's a 15 points per game, 4 rebounds, and 3 assists player. Post season performances make you legendary but ask Horry, Fisher or Kukoc how that equals in HOF talk.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/hof_prob_active.html (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/ginobma01.html)

Lists him at a 0.056 chance and that ranks 29th in current players.

TMTTRIO
06-16-2009, 10:44 PM
People don't understand it's the basketball HOF and not the NBA HOF. Yes Manu really hasn't accomplished much individually in the NBA but he hasn't need to do much in the NBA to get in based on all his accomplishments internationally.

duncan228
06-16-2009, 10:44 PM
Unfortunately I do not believe Ginobili will end up getting in. Let's throw Finals MVP out of the equation because that's HIGHLY unlikely playing alongside Parker and Duncan. If it's any close the award goes to them first.

Now on the other hand if the Spurs were able to win 2 more titles? It's still borderline because his career numbers just don't size up. The original post was that he will play 6 more years? I'd love to see it but I'm looking more along the lines of 3/4 more GREAT seasons. He's already 31 and consistently breaking down - obviously his aggressive playing style contributes to that.

Career wise he's a 15 points per game, 4 rebounds, and 3 assists player. Post season performances make you legendary but ask Horry, Fisher or Kukoc how that equals in HOF talk.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/hof_prob_active.html (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/ginobma01.html)

Why didn't you include his International career? It's already been explained how much weight that carries towards him getting in. And that's without him doing anything more in the NBA than he's already done.

NewcastleKEG
06-16-2009, 10:56 PM
Why didn't you include his International career? It's already been explained how much weight that carries towards him getting in. And that's without him doing anything more in the NBA than he's already done.
Your right but have these international careers ever helped put a HOF career over the top? Were about to see an influx of this kind of situation come up but I honestly don't think Ginobili is gonna get in unless the Spurs win ATLEAST 1 more title. Say what you want but he has had major stretches of being a 6th man. They don't get into HOF's.....

The jury isn't out on him yet but at this moment he won't get in.

TMTTRIO
06-16-2009, 11:29 PM
Say what you want but he has had major stretches of being a 6th man. They don't get into HOF's.....

To be fair that's the role that Pop has given Manu from the start and fortunately Manu has accepted it without whining and complaining about it. If he was on any other team he would be a starter.

NewcastleKEG
06-17-2009, 12:04 AM
To be fair that's the role that Pop has given Manu from the start and fortunately Manu has accepted it without whining and complaining about it. If he was on any other team he would be a starter.
No doubt but on the flip side without him being a 6th man and winning titles with the Spurs (I say with because he's obviously the 3rd Beatle on this team) then there wouldn't even be an discussion. Ginobili on another organization doesn't get a serious sniff at the HOF.

Just like the 90's Bulls who only got 2 players in the HOF off those rosters, sadly I think the mid-late 2000's.....the Spurs will only get Duncan and Parker in. Duncan, Parker and David Robinson. Ginobili = Sean Elliott is a rather good one. While Ginobili is more explosive and has had better ups, Sean was also more consistent. It's not fair to the rest of the NBA to give Ginobili TOO much of an edge with his international numbers.

duncan228
06-17-2009, 12:09 AM
It's not fair to the rest of the NBA to give Ginobili TOO much of an edge with his international numbers.

Why? It's not the NBA Hall of Fame, it's the Basketball Hall of Fame.

baseline bum
06-17-2009, 12:14 AM

Ginobili would be a lock for the Hall even if he never played a second in the NBA. He'd be a lock for the hall if he averaged 6 ppg in the NBA and played half a season. I don't like the super stringent requirements for American players vs. International guys in the HOF, but it is what it is. Him leading Argentina to the gold is one of the great upsets in basketball history.

NewcastleKEG
06-17-2009, 12:27 AM
Because the elite players play in the NBA not overseas. Too many great players aren't in the HOF for example Bernard King

Bernard King (F, New Jersey Nets, Utah Jazz, Golden State Warriors, New York Knicks, Washington Bullets, 1977-93)
In his 14-year NBA career, King was a four-time All-Star. In his first season, with the Nets, he was Rookie of the Year, and he led the league in scoring in 1984-85 with 32.9 ppg, and scored 19,655 points during his career, averaging 22.5 points per game.

Is it really fair to penalize King because he played in the NBA his entire career and was the #1 option on teams that weren't quite good enough to win titles?

Austin_Toros
06-17-2009, 05:13 AM
Hall of Fame? Please, Let's not go nuts! :bang

Bukefal
06-17-2009, 05:16 AM
I dont think he should nor will be in there

VivaPopovich
06-17-2009, 06:03 AM
i'd like to see him help the spurs win a few more rings before we crown him into the NBA HOF ;)

i hope he mixes his game up so he doesnt fall on the floor 2-3 times a game. i think thats the primary reason why he missed so many games. as reselient as his body was all those years it finally started to take its toll. jordan eventually became primarily a jump shooter, i'd like to see manu take the same rout

Muser
06-17-2009, 06:14 AM
It's hard to argue with his awards.

PM5K
06-17-2009, 06:35 AM
How often does this same thread get posted, what, every four days?

exstatic
06-17-2009, 07:34 AM
Your right but have these international careers ever helped put a HOF career over the top?

Are you even remotely familiar with the basketball HOF? Put him over the top? There are players in the HOF who ONLY have European careers and never played a minute in the NBA because either the NBA was too ignorant at the time, or their governments wouldn't allow it.

The best hybrid career template for Manu to get in

Drazen Petrovic - Croatia

* Silver Medal in 1988 (Yugsolavia) and 1992 (Croatia) Olympic Games
* Gold Medal in World Championships with National Team, 1990
* Named Sportsman of the Year in his native Croatia, 1985, 1986, 1988
* All-NBA Third-Team, 1993

290 NBA games 4461 points 15.4 ppg

Manu Ginobili - Argentina

* Gold Medal in 2004 (Argentina) and Bronze in 2008 (Argentina) Olympic Games
* Silver Medal in World Championships with National Team, 2002
* Only player ever to win a Euroleague title, an NBA championship, and an Olympic gold medal.
* All-NBA Third-Team, 2008

478 NBA games 7044 points 14.7 ppg

MmP
06-17-2009, 09:55 AM
I just can't believe how people can be so fool.
If Manu doesn't go in the HOF with those awards I really don't know who the hell should be in instead of him...

He was named (i think last year) one of the 20 most influential players in the history of the FIBA. That's telling you something. Add 3 rings there and he's in.

DPG21920
06-17-2009, 10:02 AM
It is because people are arguing out of ignorance. They do not understand how the HOF works.

That is why you see so many topics and ideas repeated on ST. I swear, someone will post a thread or a trade and after 5 minutes the same trade or thread will be started :lol

Or the same conversation will be repeated for 10 pages in a thread.

Just understand that like it or not, international play gets "their own vote" to a certain degree and even though there are some great NBA players not in the HOF, that has nothing to do with the other guys getting in.

FromWayDowntown
06-17-2009, 10:04 AM
Your right but have these international careers ever helped put a HOF career over the top? Were about to see an influx of this kind of situation come up but I honestly don't think Ginobili is gonna get in unless the Spurs win ATLEAST 1 more title. Say what you want but he has had major stretches of being a 6th man. They don't get into HOF's.....

The jury isn't out on him yet but at this moment he won't get in.

Have you read anything about how the Hall of Fame voting takes place? I'd strongly -- STRONGLY -- recommend you to that before you weigh in on the likelihood of Manu's enshrinement.

I posted a brief synopsis of it earlier, but you have to remember that Manu's credentials are going to be considered by a committee that ONLY considers international (non-North American male) players. That committee will undoubtedly nominate Ginobili unanimously for enshrinement. And when the larger committee (the Honors committee) considers his international accomplishments along with his NBA accomplishments, I frankly don't see how Ginobili gets excluded.

If the Basketball Hall of Fame enshrinement process was a matter of media votes, or if the nominees all came from a common pool, I doubt that Ginobili would even have a chance. But that's NOT the process. And because of the process being what it is, Manu's a mortal lock.

Dr. Gonzo
06-17-2009, 10:07 AM
Now that he is a lock for the HOF, they should trade him.

romain.star
06-17-2009, 10:08 AM
Awards

Italian League All-Star: 1999, 2000, 2001
Euroleague Final Four Most Valuable Player: 2001
FIBA Americas Championship Most Valuable Player: 2001
Italian Cup Most Valuable Player: 2002
All-Tournament Team, FIBA World Championship: 2002, 2006
Ideal Olympics Team: 2004
Summer Olympic Games Most Valuable Player: 2004
Olimpia de Oro: 2003, 2004 (shared with Carlos Tévez)
NBA All-Star: 2005
50 Greatest Euroleague Contributors: 2008
NBA Sixth Man of the Year Award: 2008
All-NBA Third Team: 2008

Titles
Italian League Championship: 2001
Italian Cup: 2001, 2002
Euroleague: 2001
Triple Crown: 2001
Americas Championship: 2001
NBA Championship: 2003, 2005, 2007
Summer Olympic Games gold medal: 2004
Summer Olympic Games bronze medal: 2008

He's only been in the NBA for 7 years with at least 5 good years left if healthy. I say at least one more championship and a Finals MVP and I Think he will definatelly get inducted. But thats just me. .......
Thoughts?

How is that possible???????

Mel_13
06-17-2009, 10:42 AM
How is that possible???????

It's not. Those lists are copied and pasted from Manu's Wikipedia entry. He actually won two Italian League MVPs as well the Italian Cup and Euroleague honors contained on the Wiki list.

ducks
06-17-2009, 10:51 AM

they should be a nba hall of fame

sonic21
06-17-2009, 11:09 AM

spursfan98
06-17-2009, 12:18 PM
Manu in the hall? lmao you guys are a bunch of homers.
Why don't we throw in Bruce Bowen and Fab too! And Pau Gasol must be a lock as well! :lmao

kace
06-17-2009, 12:51 PM
my god, i can't even remember how many times this same thread has been started. amazing.

DPG21920
06-17-2009, 01:01 PM
my god, i can't even remember how many times this same thread has been started. amazing.

Why don't we throw in Bruce Bowen and Fab too! And Pau Gasol must be a lock as well! :lmao

:lol and how many times statements like this have to be refuted. I am a patient dude, so I do not mind it.

HarlemHeat37
06-17-2009, 01:04 PM
Manu is easily a HOFer, there's no argument..it's the BASKETBALL Hall of Fame..a lot of people still seem to be unaware of what this means..

baseline bum
06-17-2009, 01:06 PM

Gasol might get in too with the silver he won last year. Manu is a 100% lock.

DPG21920
06-17-2009, 01:08 PM
This will easily go 2 more pages with the same things having to be repeated.

spursfan98
06-17-2009, 01:21 PM
both manu and gasol need much more accomplishments. Spurs have 2 HOF. Robinson and Gervin, both were 100 % lock. I do not think it is fair to them at all to say ginobili is a lock. There is no comparison between D-Rob, Ice, and manu.

sam1617
06-17-2009, 01:27 PM
My god people... Do you not read any of the posts, or are you all goldfish with 5 second memories...

It is the Basketball Hall of Fame. Note the lack of NBA in front of that. They let international players in based off their international careers. They let women in based off their careers. They let NBA players in off their careers. They even let commissioners and coaches and other people that have provided solid contributions to the game.

Manu IS a hall of famer, not because of his NBA career, but because of his international career. He won and was the MVP on a gold medal team, MVP on a Euroleague champion team, and NBA champion team all in like 2 years... He is the single greatest international ballplayer in the last 10 years probably. That is what gets him in the hall of fame.

Muser
06-17-2009, 01:34 PM
both manu and gasol need much more accomplishments. Spurs have 2 HOF. Robinson and Gervin, both were 100 % lock. I do not think it is fair to them at all to say ginobili is a lock. There is no comparison between D-Rob, Ice, and manu.

No, Manu has more international awards.

DPG21920
06-17-2009, 01:55 PM

If I was to tell you that there was a separate international basketball HOF, would you say Manu gets in?

Matches Malone
06-17-2009, 02:24 PM

I dont think he should nor will be in there

Hall of Fame? Please, Let's not go nuts! :bang

No doubt but on the flip side without him being a 6th man and winning titles with the Spurs (I say with because he's obviously the 3rd Beatle on this team) then there wouldn't even be an discussion. Ginobili on another organization doesn't get a serious sniff at the HOF.

Just like the 90's Bulls who only got 2 players in the HOF off those rosters, sadly I think the mid-late 2000's.....the Spurs will only get Duncan and Parker in. Duncan, Parker and David Robinson. Ginobili = Sean Elliott is a rather good one. While Ginobili is more explosive and has had better ups, Sean was also more consistent. It's not fair to the rest of the NBA to give Ginobili TOO much of an edge with his international numbers.

You guys are just amazing.
You really don't mind appearing as a laughing stock?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alamodestuff/3432985178/

spursfan98
06-17-2009, 02:45 PM
You guys are just amazing.
You really don't mind appearing as a laughing stock?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alamodestuff/3432985178/

Calm down Manu fan, we all know you are a manu fan and not a spurs fan. And you call yourself a spurs fan because you are a manu fan

howbouthemspurs
06-17-2009, 02:46 PM

With all of his accomplishments do you really believe that all he was, and will always be a dud? Hes done more for the game overseas than most people in the nba. He is already a legend. It is only a matter of time when gets in the HOF.

spursfan98
06-17-2009, 02:50 PM
With all of his accomplishments do you really believe that all he was, and will always be a dud? Hes done more for the game overseas than most people in the nba. He is already a legend. It is only a matter of time when gets in the HOF.

I never said he was a dud. I LOVE MANU, he is a great player when healthy, but there is a huge difference between a solid player and a hall of famer. If you stuck him on the USA team do you think he would be the MVP of the USA team? I guess we should consider Luis Scola a possible Hall of Famer too

kace
06-17-2009, 03:11 PM
:lol and how many times statements like this have to be refuted. I am a patient dude, so I do not mind it.

well, as long as there are some members willing to take part of this topic, that's OK, that's the point of a forum.

but, manu in the HOF has been discussed and discussed again and again. it's masturbation now.

and, the fact that anyone with half a brain should understand HE IS of course a (well-deserved IMO) lock for the HOF is another argument to stop this endless thread.

DPG21920
06-17-2009, 03:12 PM
I never said he was a dud. I LOVE MANU, he is a great player when healthy, but there is a huge difference between a solid player and a hall of famer. If you stuck him on the USA team do you think he would be the MVP of the USA team? I guess we should consider Luis Scola a possible Hall of Famer too

You never answered my question. If I told you there was a separate HOF for just international players, would Manu make it?

DPG21920
06-17-2009, 03:13 PM
well, as long as there are some members willing to take part of this topic, that's OK, that's the point of a forum.

but, manu in the HOF has been discussed and discussed again and again. it's masturbation now.

and, the fact that anyone with half a brain should understand HE IS of course a (well-deserved IMO) lock for the HOF is another argument to stop this endless thread.

I agree. But if some people do not understand, or are new and want to learn, I do not mind helping out. But I agree that this should be done by now.

We knew it would not be though :lol

spursfan98
06-17-2009, 03:16 PM
You never answered my question. If I told you there was a separate HOF for just international players, would Manu make it?

Just for international players? Yes. But so would Luis Scola, Fabricio Oberto, Walter Herrmann, Marc Gasol, and Ricky Rubio

DPG21920
06-17-2009, 03:20 PM
Just for international players? Yes. But so would Luis Scola, Fabricio Oberto, Walter Herrmann, Marc Gasol, and Ricky Rubio

No, because none of them have the accolades the Manu has.

But I am glad you answered yes, because in the basketball HOF we are discussing in this thread, there is essentially an international portion that has nothing to do with the NBA.

So if you say Manu would get into a strictly international HOF, then you have to see that he will get into the basketball HOF because there is no difference in the two, like it or not. The international players get nominated irregardless of their NBA work and there is no differentiation in the NBA HOF players enshrined and the International players. It is just one HOF, with multiple nomination committees.

spursfan98
06-17-2009, 03:24 PM
But if there was a HOF for international players it would consist of dirk, manu, scola, gasol, parker, and more.. like i said, if you stuck manu on team usa he wouldn't have any of the accolades bc all the players on team usa are better and half of them will go to the hall

Matches Malone
06-17-2009, 04:00 PM
Calm down Manu fan, we all know you are a manu fan and not a spurs fan. And you call yourself a spurs fan because you are a manu fan

I'm not going to comment on my "years of lurking ST" or "being a fan since the Admiral was drafted". I don't need to prove you anything. Manu fan, yes sure. As well as Timmy's, Tony's, Bruce's, Jax's, Sean's, David's, Malik's.

On the other hand, you (as well as others) have just proved that a fan that doesn't believe, neither want, nor vouch for a player (of his/her team) with unquestionable record to (at least) be included in HOF talks, is not really a fan. As a Spurs fan, I would like (even if it's not possible) that every single one of the Spurs players that have a shot at being HOF'rs, will behave a fair chance to be considered.

You guys a the living proof that the worst hater, is the one that lies inside the Spurs-fan ranks.

DPG21920
06-17-2009, 04:12 PM
But if there was a HOF for international players it would consist of dirk, manu, scola, gasol, parker, and more.. like i said, if you stuck manu on team usa he wouldn't have any of the accolades bc all the players on team usa are better and half of them will go to the hall

That does not matter, that is not how the HOF works like it or not. The fact of the matter is Manu's international career will get him into the HOF because there is a separate vote for those type of players, but only 1 HOF.

You are getting caught up in who is better and not how it actually works. It might not make sense that a someone with a great international career like Gino will get in over someone that had a great NBA career, but that is how it works with the "world basketball HOF".

ffadicted
06-17-2009, 04:18 PM
Manu: 2005 Finals MVP

you forgot one lol

spursfan98
06-17-2009, 04:19 PM
That does not matter, that is not how the HOF works like it or not. The fact of the matter is Manu's international career will get him into the HOF because there is a separate vote for those type of players, but only 1 HOF.

You are getting caught up in who is better and not how it actually works. It might not make sense that a someone with a great international career like Gino will get in over someone that had a great NBA career, but that is how it works with the "world basketball HOF".

True, but HOF committee voters are tough voters, and if you look at the first ballot year by year, each one is very obvious, i just can not see him on a first ballot.

ambchang
06-17-2009, 04:20 PM

It seems that you are not familiar with the accomplishments of Manu vs. the other players you mentioned.

On an international stage, Manu dwarfs the accomplishments of all those you listed combined.

Dirk will make the HoF due to his accomplishments in the NBA, not because of his international play (although that would help). Scola didn't accomplish half of what Manu did internationally. Gasol, if he ever makes it, would be because of his role on the Spanish team. Parker is a long way from making it.

Please look up what Manu did before going on.

DPG21920
06-17-2009, 04:21 PM
True, but HOF committee voters are tough voters, and if you look at the first ballot year by year, each one is very obvious, i just can not see him on a first ballot.

Yes you can, look at some of the people in there (coaches, college players, international players..). Many have shown comparable HOF's already in and Manu has a better resume.

temujin
06-17-2009, 04:49 PM

Most of the players in team USA 08 were not even basketball players in a team sense of the word.
Just one-on-one freaks with some serious problems in the avoid-the-travelling fundamentals.

Ginobili is a totally different class.

temujin
06-17-2009, 04:53 PM
I agree with some people above.
Mr. Ginobili will be in the NBA HOF, the International HOF, the Euroleague HOF, and, in fact, in the team sports HOF, as one of the greatest and most entertaining winners of all time.

One of the two players that won NBA titles, Olimpics and Euroleague titles.
Not even worth discussing.

FromWayDowntown
06-17-2009, 04:59 PM
n/m

FromWayDowntown
06-17-2009, 05:01 PM

Can one be a Manu fan and a Spurs fan? I've followed the basketball team that plays in San Antonio since my childhood in the late 70's, but I also am a fan of Manu Ginobili. Is that an unresolvable paradox? Do I have to choose one or the other?

I'm in a pretty serious panic here.

Tully365
06-17-2009, 05:02 PM
He was the best player on an Argentine Olympic team that whupped a team of USA All-stars.... hard to argue with that. Hopefully he'll be enshrined beside Artis "The A Train" Gilmore...

Tully365
06-17-2009, 05:04 PM
In the words of Kobe Bryant:

That's a bad boy right there... I just respect his game so much.

exstatic
06-17-2009, 07:00 PM
Manu is a shoo in based SOLELY on his Euroleague and FIBA accomplishments. Debating his NBA credentials is foolishness, because he won't be nominated by the North American committee, he'll be nominated by the international committee. His NBA numbers and accomplishments are purely icing on the cake.

DPG21920
06-17-2009, 07:04 PM
Manu is a shoo in based SOLELY on his Euroleague and FIBA accomplishments. Debating his NBA credentials is foolishness, because he won't be nominated by the North American committee, he'll be nominated by the international committee. His NBA numbers and accomplishments are purely icing on the cake.

Bull crap. Ginobili, lololololol

exstatic
06-17-2009, 07:42 PM
Bull crap. Ginobili, lololololol

I've already posted the bonifides of a player (Petrovic) with an almost identical Euroleague/FIBA career and a lesser NBA career who is IN the HOF. Do you actually have an argument, or do we have to send you back to the kiddie pool to spew your 'lols'?

DPG21920
06-17-2009, 07:49 PM
I've already posted the bonifides of a player (Petrovic) with an almost identical Euroleague/FIBA career and a lesser NBA career who is IN the HOF. Do you actually have an argument, or do we have to send you back to the kiddie pool to spew your 'lols'?

lol got ya. I was joking. Read my other posts. I was just messing with you.

TampaDude
06-17-2009, 09:22 PM
http://danimal25.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/manu_ginobili-arton20975-240x240.jpghttp://wpcontent.answers.com/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/59/Padlock.svg/180px-Padlock.svg.pnghttp://3.bp.blogspot.com/_1sRWoane9lw/SMOw8BXRElI/AAAAAAAAAeU/Dirgrq-PcXk/s320/NUM-4.jpghttp://1.bp.blogspot.com/_t416jpp3dEs/SdWEU0Ui2mI/AAAAAAAAAxo/pauupNjHSYU/s200/basketball.gif

manu the best
06-17-2009, 11:56 PM
DEFINITELY ...

MANU=:lobt2:

ducks
06-17-2009, 11:59 PM
DEFINITELY ...

MANU=:lobt2:
when healthy and not fouling late in games

howbouthemspurs
06-19-2009, 01:30 PM
I cant wait to see what happens next season. I think Manu will have another all star year and if he does, the spurs are definately the favorite to get to the finals again!

rascal
06-19-2009, 01:36 PM
I cant wait to see what happens next season. I think Manu will have another all star year and if he does, the spurs are definately the favorite to get to the finals again!

The spurs will not be the favorites.

rascal
06-19-2009, 01:40 PM
No, because none of them have the accolades the Manu has.

But I am glad you answered yes, because in the basketball HOF we are discussing in this thread, there is essentially an international portion that has nothing to do with the NBA.

So if you say Manu would get into a strictly international HOF, then you have to see that he will get into the basketball HOF because there is no difference in the two, like it or not. The international players get nominated irregardless of their NBA work and there is no differentiation in the NBA HOF players enshrined and the International players. It is just one HOF, with multiple nomination committees.

The Hall of Fame should only be for NBA achievements. The other leagues are inferior and getting players in on their achievements outside of the nba waters down the exclusiveness of being called a Hall of Famer.

MB20
06-19-2009, 01:47 PM
The Hall of Fame should only be for NBA achievements. The other leagues are inferior and getting players in on their achievements outside of the nba waters down the exclusiveness of being called a Hall of Famer.

Tell me you are being sarcastic...you can´t be this stupid.

ffadicted
06-19-2009, 01:49 PM

Tell me as well rascal. I refuse to believe such a mind exists in our world :wakeup

Yuixafun
06-19-2009, 04:36 PM
Claro!

rascal
06-19-2009, 10:44 PM

Then put college players in. Heck even put high school players in.

Baseline
06-20-2009, 12:25 AM
Which guys are already in the HOf?

Drazen Petrovic?

Oscar Schmidt from Brazil?

Arvydas Sabonis?

This is the real barometer. If any of these guys are aleady in, then I agree that Manu is a lock.

Anybody know?

Mel_13
06-20-2009, 12:41 AM
Which guys are already in the HOf?

Drazen Petrovic?

Oscar Schmidt from Brazil?

Arvydas Sabonis?

This is the real barometer. If any of these guys are aleady in, then I agree that Manu is a lock.

Anybody know?

Petrovic is the only one currently in. The other two retired in 2003 and have only been eligible since last year.

http://www.hoophall.com/halloffamers/bhof-halloffamers-alpha.html

FromWayDowntown
06-20-2009, 10:26 AM
Then put college players in. Heck even put high school players in.

There are actually a number of players in the Hall who had great collegiate careers and less-than-stellar professional careers.

Bill Bradley immediately comes to mind.

Mel_13
06-20-2009, 11:28 AM
There are actually a number of players in the Hall who had great collegiate careers and less-than-stellar professional careers.

Bill Bradley immediately comes to mind.

Bill Walton also doesn't measure up purely on NBA stats. His feature on the official site gives about equal mention to his NCAA and NBA accomplishments.

The overwhelming majority of coaches in the HOF are enshrined for their college coaching records. Looks like less than 10 of the 81 coaches did most of their coaching in the NBA.