PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent Ariza Wants To Come Back To Lakers

duncan228
06-16-2009, 10:21 PM
Free agent Ariza wants to come back to Lakers (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-lakers-ariza&prov=ap&type=lgns)
By Beth Harris

Trevor Ariza said Tuesday he would love to return to the Los Angeles Lakers next season.

The fifth-year forward becomes an unrestricted free agent on July 1, along with teammate Lamar Odom, who made $14.1 million this season and turns 30 in November.

The downtrodden economy, however, could play a part in how much other teams are willing to offer free agents this summer.

Ariza earned $3.1 million this season and he raised his price considerably during the postseason, when he averaged 11.3 points, 4.2 rebounds and 2.3 assists during the Lakers’ run to their 15th NBA championship.

One of the lasting impressions Ariza left on Lakers’ management is shutting down Orlando’s Hedo Turkoglu in the Game 5 clincher on Sunday. Ariza turns 24 in late June.

Ariza had his individual season-ending interview with coach Phil Jackson and general manager Mitch Kupchak on Tuesday.

“I definitely felt a lot of love,” Ariza said about the atmosphere at the meeting. “They definitely told me I improved a lot and they’re happy with the way that I played and how much I was able to help our team.

“I’d love to come back. Money is important, this is our job here, but I built a bond with my coaches and my teammates. We have a really good team and I think we’ll be good for a long time.”

Ariza stressed that the sense of belonging he feels among his teammates is a critical factor in where he plays next season.

“The most important thing for me is to feel like I’m part of something,” he said. “Throughout this process, I’m going to take into consideration a lot of different things, but that’s probably the most important thing.”

With veterans Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol and Derek Fisher leading the way, Ariza said, “They made me feel as equally important as they are.”

He was acquired by the Lakers in a trade from Orlando in November 2007.

“I didn’t really get a chance to play or I was too young or I didn’t fit into other people’s systems the way they would like me to,” he said.

The 6-foot-8 forward left UCLA after one season and was drafted by the New York Knicks with the 43rd overall pick in 2004.

Coach Phil Jackson has yet to confirm whether he’ll return after winning his record 10th NBA title, moving him past Boston’s Red Auerbach. But some of his players believe he’ll be back.

“I didn’t get the feeling leaving that he wasn’t going to be my coach next season,” Fisher said.

“I could be wrong, but I just think that we have a collection of players with the veteran leadership of Kobe and myself, he can feel good about the ability to coach and manage this team. All the work is not just on him to try to continue to get this team to grow.”

Gasol said he got the feeling Jackson wants to continue coaching.

“I really hope he can coach us again, not just for one year, for as long as he wants or can,” he said.

Luke Walton said the way Jackson spoke led him to believe there won’t be a coaching change next season.

“He was saying what he expects for next year,” Walton said. “Everything he said was with the intention he will be back, but obviously I can’t read him, not many people can.”

Also having exit interviews Tuesday were Jordan Farmar and Sun Yue. The Lakers hold a $736,000 option on Yue for next season.

Bryant, who can become an unrestricted free agent on July 1, Odom and others will meet with Jackson and Kupchak later this week.

Fisher has another season at $5 million on his contract, as does Farmar at $1.9 million. Walton has four years and $21.6 million remaining.

Chillen
06-16-2009, 10:23 PM
You'd have to have a huge fat ego to not want to return to the Lakers, they are the 2009 NBA champs, the future looks good. Question is can they get Odom back, he needs money for candy. :lmao

NewcastleKEG
06-16-2009, 10:24 PM
In other news

water is wet

KSeal
06-16-2009, 10:26 PM
Ariza ain't going anywhere. Odom will probably be rotting away playing up in Toronto or Memphis next year, poor guy.

lefty
06-16-2009, 10:30 PM
:pctoss

chubster
06-16-2009, 10:32 PM
How is this possible? No one wants to play with the cancer known as Kobe Bryant.

KSeal
06-16-2009, 10:32 PM
:pctoss

I understand your anger, Ariza is exactly what the Spurs need but he ain't leaving LA! Too bad.

lefty
06-16-2009, 10:34 PM
I understand your anger, Ariza is exactly what the Spurs need but he ain't leaving LA! Too bad.

I respect Ariza for wanting to stay @ L.A

KSeal
06-16-2009, 10:38 PM
I respect Ariza for wanting to stay @ L.A

I do to but he only wants to stay in LA until some moron GM throws 12 million a year at him :lmao The last place I would want him to go is SA though, that would ruin my life, my favorite Laker going to play with Tim, Tony, and Manu...

crc21209
06-16-2009, 10:39 PM
Still wouldnt be surprised if he left. He got a ring, now he may want the green.

lefty
06-16-2009, 10:45 PM
I do to but he only wants to stay in LA until some moron GM throws 12 million a year at him :lmao The last place I would want him to go is SA though, that would ruin my life, my favorite Laker going to play with Tim, Tony, and Manu...

Well, if he likes Mitch's offer; why not?

- he can win more rings

- he is from Cali

- he'll be close to his family, which is very important to him, since he lost his brother at a very young age

LakeShow
06-16-2009, 10:54 PM
The only way that Ariza doesn't sign with the lakers is that another team offered him ridiculous money. Odom is more important to sign. Ariza can be replaced, Odom can not be. Our strength is our front line, take Odom out of the equation and the lakers are fucked.

lefty
06-16-2009, 10:57 PM
The only way that Ariza doesn't sign with the lakers is that another team offered him ridiculous money. Odom is more important to sign. Ariza can be replaced, Odom can not be. Our strength is our front line, take Odom out of the equation and the lakers are fucked.

Lakers need to keep BOTH Ariza and Odom if they want to win again; not just 1 of them, BOTH of them

Trevar Arizom !

Banzai
06-16-2009, 11:03 PM
Lakers need to keep BOTH Ariza and Odom if they want to win again; not just 1 of them, BOTH of them

Trevar Arizom !

:rollin

YellowFever
06-16-2009, 11:04 PM
My heart tells me to keep Ariza.

My head tells me Odom is more valuable to this team.

Hope we can keep them both.

LakeShow
06-16-2009, 11:14 PM

Trevar Arizom !

:lol True but Dr. Buss is not going to overpay. Ariza's and role players are a dime a dozen. Lamar is one of a kind. The Lakers could pick up another role player and be fine.

KSeal
06-16-2009, 11:21 PM
I think some of you are underrating how much pressure Ariza takes off Kobe. Last year our closing lineup was Fish, Sasha, Kobe, Lamar, Pau. So Kobe always had to guard the other teams best player, whereas now it's Ariza. Also he's athletic as fuck and shot 40/84 threes in the playoffs! He's our best three pointer shooter now that Sasha is shit. He is a role player but an insanely key role player that does so much for us, who else could we get that can do what Ariza does? Bynum is going to have to start closing games at some point next year and for sure the year after that, so then what happens with Lamar? We pay him 10 million a year to play 25 minutes and not close games.

YellowFever
06-16-2009, 11:27 PM
I think some of you are underrating how much pressure Ariza takes off Kobe. Last year our closing lineup was Fish, Sasha, Kobe, Lamar, Pau. So Kobe always had to guard the other teams best player, whereas now it's Ariza. Also he's athletic as fuck and shot 40/84 threes in the playoffs! He's our best three pointer shooter now that Sasha is shit. He is a role player but an insanely key role player that does so much for us, who else could we get that can do what Ariza does? Bynum is going to have to start closing games at some point next year and for sure the year after that, so then what happens with Lamar? We pay him 10 million a year to play 25 minutes and not close games.

That's a legit point.

However, Odom can and has filled all five spots for us at times.

And Shannon Brown, if we are to keep him, will need some burn time also.

Best case scenario would be to keep both and somehow get rid of Sasha and Luke and for Buss to swallow the luxury tax for a season until Adam Morrison can come off the books.

KSeal
06-16-2009, 11:32 PM
That's a legit point.

However, Odom can and has filled all five spots for us at times.

And Shannon Brown, if we are to keep him, will need some burn time also.

Best case scenario would be to keep both and somehow get rid of Sasha and Luke and for Buss to swallow the luxury tax for a season until Adam Morrison can come off the books.

Maybe Lamar would take less and sign a one year deal and then next year he can try to go test the FA market when lots of teams that didn't get their guy may want to go after someone like Odom. That way if Bynum does have a great year next year we can let Odom walk, if Bynum sucks then once Fisher and Adam are off the books we can give him a deal for more. A thought, I don't know, I just can't see us resigning Odom after giving Bynum the money we did. Ariza just seems like the guy they'll go with, especially with how much he's needed at his position. Can't start a season with Luke Walton and Adam Morrison as you're only SF's.

Ditty
06-16-2009, 11:36 PM
wouldn't ariza look so good with a silver and black jersey on IMO

YellowFever
06-16-2009, 11:37 PM
"Hey Lamar. can you sign a contract for one year only and delay your payday so we can see if Bynum works out? If Bynum gets injured, hey you're here...If Bynum works out...get the fuck off our team."

Nah..not gonna work.
I love Trev. Much better mentality than Odom but we need Odom.

Hopfully, Buss and Kupchack pulls another rabbit out of their asses.

LakeShow
06-16-2009, 11:42 PM
That's the thing, we don't know how Bynum is going to work out. I think he'll get better but what if he doesn't? What if he gets hurt again?

bostonguy
06-16-2009, 11:46 PM
I fully expect LA to retain both Ariza/Odom. Buss/Kobe knows BOTH are vital not only to a repeat, but for potentially beginning a dynasty. Also what it says on the jersey will also play a HUGE factor in them wanting to stay.

KSeal
06-16-2009, 11:46 PM
"Hey Lamar. can you sign a contract for one year only and delay your payday so we can see if Bynum works out? If Bynum gets injured, hey you're here...If Bynum works out...get the fuck off our team."

Nah..not gonna work.
I love Trev. Much better mentality than Odom but we need Odom.

Hopfully, Buss and Kupchack pulls another rabbit out of their asses.

:lmao Well when you put it that way it doesn't sound like such a good idea. The one way the Odom taking a one year deal might work is if other teams show him no love and don't offer him at all what he wants then maybe with all the teams waiting for next year he could try then. I just can't see buss paying with the lux tax 20 million for a sixth man AND Ariza like 14 million. Just doesn't make sense.

iggypop123
06-17-2009, 12:22 AM
both will likely stay. even exectutives at least according to stein say odom could command the MLE. if true he is a laker for sure

Lakers999
06-17-2009, 12:24 AM
wouldn't ariza look so good with a silver and black jersey on IMO

no

Ditty
06-17-2009, 12:26 AM
no

because the spurs would be back on top actually :lol

hmmm

LakeShow
06-17-2009, 12:35 AM
both will likely stay. even exectutives at least according to stein say odom could command the MLE. if true he is a laker for sure

That would be great. I really think it would be easier to sign Lamar anyway. He already made the big money. I wasn't thinking quite that low for him but if he's cool with it. Cool!

KSeal
06-17-2009, 12:44 AM

hmmm

Not quite.

TheMACHINE
06-17-2009, 01:41 AM
Odom is more important because he can sub in for either Gasol or Bynum. Thats what makes this Lakers team so versatile.

VivaPopovich
06-17-2009, 02:43 AM
good luck getting kobe to agree to a paycut

it takes a real man like duncan to agree to one

21_Blessings
06-17-2009, 02:45 AM
Odom is more important because he can sub in for either Gasol or Bynum. Thats what makes this Lakers team so versatile.

That doesn't make him more important, just a 6th man.

Ariza is a starter that guards the best wing player on the other team every night. You take Ariza off the Lakers and LUKE WALTON is a starter. Hurts much more than losing Odom. With Trevor gone a 31 year old Kobe will have guard those players for 40 minutes every night which will hurt his offensive production and overall fatigue.

You have remember, Bynum was not 100% in the playoffs. When he was healthy he was clearly a better player than Lamar. With him playing increased minutes and the Lakers spending some of their MLE on a backup 4 losing Lamar doesn't look nearly as bad as Trevor jumping ship.

But I"m fully confident that Buss wants to continue winning. He'll pay up.

InRareForm
06-17-2009, 02:54 AM
really doubt he does a one year deal... come on now, age 30 you want some security with longer deals.

crc21209
06-17-2009, 03:55 AM
ONE or BOTH will leave. I just know it...there will be some dumbass team out there willing to offer the crazy $$$$$$$'s to these guys.

KSeal
06-17-2009, 04:09 AM
ONE or BOTH will leave. I just know it...there will be some dumbass team out there willing to offer the crazy $$$$$$$'s to these guys.

You have no clue what's going to happen.

holcs50
06-17-2009, 04:26 AM
I hope cuban throws some stupid contract at ariza or odom and they take it...thus making it all the harder for the lakers to repeat. Come on Cubes, the one time im rooting for you, pull out that cash ya big dumbass.

If the lakers do get both back, and are free of injury next year i see it almost inevitable that they make it back to the finals...barring some miraculous trade and we know the spurs won't be involved in that...we'll just do the normal, hey lets look for an average player and cross our fingers he can make a difference, cough....roger mason..cough. And hey lets get another big guy around TD that does exactly what these scrubs have been doing the oh the last, oh lets say since DR left. Yayyyyyyy. And hopefully our big 3 can stay healthy so we can at least make it out of the first round, maybe 2nd or even WCF! that's good enough, there we can lose again to the lakers...yayyyyy.

k, enough of that, haha. I hope one leaves :lol

Muser
06-17-2009, 06:21 AM
As a Non-Laker fan I obviously don't want them to resign either of them, but that's in my fantasy world :(

urunobili
06-17-2009, 07:48 AM
:lol you will never be able to move Sasha's horrible contract anywhere...

BlackSwordsMan
06-17-2009, 07:57 AM
why does luke walton have such a big contract?

The_Game
06-17-2009, 08:01 AM

why will somebody offer loads of money when economy is so bad and everybody is waiting until 2010 to spend money....

LAKERS ARE KEEPING THEM BOTH.....buss has stated he will pay to give championship teams togeather.

Chomag
06-17-2009, 09:30 AM
Guys this is the lakers remember? They probably would be exempt from any cap penalties anyway :lol

Allanon
06-17-2009, 09:33 AM
Both Odom and Ariza will stay.

Buss only has to pony up major cash in 2009/10. After that, the Lakers receive alot of cap relief in the expiring Fish and Morrison contracts. And after 2010/11, the Lakers can re-sign Pau for alot less.

I think this is why Vlad was shipped off, he had one more year more than Morrison on his contract. Buss just needs to suck it up for 1 year then he's home free while still fielding a championship contender.

ulosturedge
06-17-2009, 11:04 AM
Ariza is just saying what he is suppose to be saying to insure that he gets paid fat on his next contract lol. He is trying to up the ante. Maybe by his statements it will get LA to throw more money at him to insure that he stays.

I think they are gonna make sure Ariza gets his first. So I think Odom is gone lol. Np though cause you guys have the Legendary Wilt Bynum.

DPG21920
06-17-2009, 11:17 AM
Kobe has the real power here. His contract has an ETO, and he can take the pay cut necessary to keep this team together. He has made the most money out of anyone, and he can save the team money and win more titles by taking less money.

LakeShow
06-17-2009, 11:46 AM
I hope he signs them both as well but my thinking is if we can't sign both that the Lakers have made it to the finals 2 straight years, one season without Ariza.

I have a fear of the unknown. I know, with Odom, the Lakers will make it to the finals again. I don't know if the Lakers will make it with another pf, or who they could even pick up for little money that would be worth a damn.

alright, on my way to my 9th NBA Championship Parade in LA! :king

TheManFromAcme
06-17-2009, 11:59 AM
I hope he signs them both as well but my thinking is if we can't sign both that the Lakers have made it to the finals 2 straight years, one season without Ariza.

I have a fear of the unknown. I know, with Odom, the Lakers will make it to the finals again. I don't know if the Lakers will make it with another pf, or who they could even pick up for little money that would be worth a damn.

alright, on my way to my 9th NBA Championship Parade in LA! :king

Enjoy yourself Bro. Wish I was there:depressed Damn I miss home...
Tell the Laker family out there that Laker Nation is well represented here in S.A.

TwinTowers
06-17-2009, 12:30 PM
:lol you will never be able to move Sasha's horrible contract anywhere...

We will trade Sasha, Walton, and Mbenga for for R. Gay, OJ, M. Gasol... Don't forget we can always count on our friend Wallace and the Grizz... :lmao

TampaDude
06-17-2009, 12:31 PM
Would love to have Ariza on the Spurs...we'll see what happens...

HarlemHeat37
06-17-2009, 01:53 PM
this is going to be very interesting..

first Kobe has the main decision..then we'll see if any other teams are willing to overpay in this economy, because usually in other times, NBA teams are always ready to overpay..then we'll see if Ariza and/or Odom listen to the $ signs, which most usually do..

this should be very interesting..

I'm predicting Ariza will be a Laker, and Odom will somehow land in Miami..my prediction is completely irrelevant though..

Lakers999
06-17-2009, 02:00 PM

hmmm

no its because why would he leave home on a young championship team to go to a team where duncan will be starting his decline soon and ginolbili legs turned to glass

Ditty
06-17-2009, 02:07 PM
no its because why would he leave home on a young championship team to go to a team where duncan will be starting his decline soon and ginolbili legs turned to glass

:lol

and kobe won't be declining anytime soon either?

why wouldn't ariza come to the spurs when he knows he's the missing piece for the spurs to beat the lakers and for us to win another championship

duncan has not showed signs of declining he is still putting up 20 and 10 and probably will for another 2 or 3 years

why wouldn't ariza want to come play along side tim duncan the best overall basketball player (not scorer laker fans then of course that would be kobe cuz he jacks up 30 shots a game) i don't know i think the spurs might be ariza's second option if lakers dont give him the money he wants

Ditty
06-17-2009, 02:12 PM

:lol

and kobe won't be declining anytime soon either?

why wouldn't ariza come to the spurs when he knows he's the missing piece for the spurs to beat the lakers and for us to win another championship

duncan has not showed signs of declining he is still putting up 20 and 10 and probably will for another 2 or 3 years

why wouldn't ariza want to come play along side tim duncan the best overall basketball player (not scorer laker fans then of course that would be kobe cuz he jacks up 30 shots a game) i don't know i think the spurs might be ariza's second option if lakers dont give him the money he wants

mytespurs
06-17-2009, 03:45 PM

Just remember this, your superstar also has a lot of mileage on his body. I know he stays in shape and has a good workout regimen but Father Time stops for no one.

But I will agree that Ariza more than likely will remain a Laker. :toast

21_Blessings
06-17-2009, 04:45 PM
Chad ford chat

Michael (LA)

Are the Lakers going to keep both Odom and Ariza? If not, which teams do you think are most interested in them?
Chad Ford

I don't know how they can. From what my sources are telling me, they are absolutely keeping Trevor Ariza. I think Odom will come down to what he's looking at as far as amount and length of contract. Lots of teams would be interest in Ariza including the Blazers and Pistons ... two teams with cap room. I think Odom may have to do the midlevel thing unless the Pistons come through with more money. There just aren't a lot of teams with lots of cap room this year.

Are the Pistons really going to throw big money at Odom? Doubtful. How does Odom solve that team's problems. He's at best a good 3rd/4th option.

IMO Lakers probably keep both with Ariza getting full MLE money + years and Odom a 3 year deal at slightly higher price, say 7 mil.

DPG21920
06-17-2009, 04:47 PM
That would be about 26M per year total for Ariza+Odom as long as they are over the luxury tax

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-17-2009, 04:48 PM
There's no way LA lets Ariza go after they watched how much losing Posey hurt Boston. Ariza is already more important to LA than Posey was to Boston, and in addition has the ability to get better. He's got the talent, work ethic and basketball I.Q. to develop a good point forward ability.

21_Blessings
06-17-2009, 04:54 PM
That would be about 26M per year total for Ariza+Odom as long as they are over the luxury tax

They are worth it. But Sasha, Ammo and Luke are getting paid 15 million, which REALLY hurts.

Lakers have to pay out though. One year of salary cap hell and Ammo comes off the books, Fisher can be resigned for significantly less. The next year Sasha is off the books and a new CBA will be up for negotiation.

Worth the investment.

hhml
06-17-2009, 05:14 PM
At the parade today they said that Ariza is going nowhere, same with Odom. Kobe will more than likely stay and retire a Lakers. Not sure about Shannon Brown's future but when they introduced him and Ariza, the crowd went wild. Those 2 received the loudest cheers out of anyone there. Crowd went nuts over SB and you can see he's their favorite, along with Ariza.

I can see Ariza getting 6 mil and Odom getting around 8-9 and both will stay in LA. It's a big paycut for Odom but he said he is willing to take a cut and really wants to remain a Lakers. Money is important but the bond Ariza and Odom built with this team, along with winning a championship, will play a major factor in their decisions to stay or bolt. Also, management has made them feel very important as does the crowd.

ducks
06-17-2009, 05:20 PM
ariza will get 8-9
odom 6-7 with lakers

iggypop123
06-17-2009, 09:02 PM
if anyone is going to pay for winning its a team from LA with a big market owner who always says he would do it. besides with all the playoff games they made about 30 million

LakeShow
06-17-2009, 09:06 PM
Enjoy yourself Bro. Wish I was there:depressed Damn I miss home...
Tell the Laker family out there that Laker Nation is well represented here in S.A.

I read your message before I left but I was running too late to respond. You were there in Spirit! :toast

I've been to 9 parades and I have never seen that many people before, it was ridiculous!

It sounds like Odom and Ariza will be here next season.

To all the other fans out there. Sorry, but our bandwagon is Full! :lol

The Gemini Method
06-18-2009, 01:07 PM
By the sentiment given at the rally and parade, I think the Lakers will be hard to beat to land either Ariza/Odom. I think we get both back, but if one goes it will be pretty devastating and make things a little difficult. There was a sense of symmetry towards the end of the reg. season and the playoffs and I'm sure those two would be best served to remain a part of something special.

Lakeshow this was my 4th parade and did it seem like a whole bunch more people at this one than the past ones?

duncan228
06-18-2009, 01:34 PM
Trevor Ariza: Wants to Stay With Lakers (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=rotowire-revorrizaantstotayit&prov=rotowire&type=fantasy)

Update: Ariza said this week that he would love to return to the Lakers next season.

Recommendation: “I’d love to come back,” Ariza said. “Money is important, this is our job here, but I built a bond with my coaches and my teammates.” Both Ariza and Lamar Odom(notes) are free agents this summer, and how the Lakers choose to handle each situation will go a long way in determining whether they repeat as champions next season.