PDA

View Full Version : McHale Dumped As Coach Of Timberwolves

duncan228
06-17-2009, 05:36 PM
McHale dumped as coach of NBA Timberwolves (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=afp-basketnbatimberwolvesmchale&prov=afp&type=lgns)

Kevin McHale was dismissed Wednesday as coach of the Minnesota Timberwolves, ending McHale's 15 years with the National Basketball Association club.

David Kahn, the Timberwolves new president of basketball operations, said that McHale was vital to the team as a coach and executive but due to changes it would be "difficult for everybody involved to put Kevin in this position."

McHale, a Basketball Hall of Fame player from Minnesota, won three NBA titles with the Boston Celtics in the 1980s and joined the T-Wolves in 1994, much of the time guiding personnel decisions for the club.

"I was willing to come back, but they never offered me a contract," McHale told the St. Paul Pioneer Press. "They told me last week they were going in a different direction. I said, 'I think you're making a mistake.'"

McHale was demoted to replaced fired coach Randy Wittman last December and saw Khan take his old job last month.

McHale went 19-12 in a pinch-hit coaching role in 2005 after Flip Saunders was fired and 20-43 in completing this past season after Wittman's dismissal.

Red Hawk #21
06-17-2009, 06:01 PM
Lol Kevin McFail. He put together a crap ass team as General Manager then he was forced to coach the team he put together and he failed miserably at. My biggest beef with McFail was when he fired Dwane Casey back in 07, even though the T-wolves were at .500 he decided to fire Casey. Then under new coach wittman the Wolves eventually did not make the playoffs. I was very angry at the time because back then I really loved Kevin Garnett. But to make a long story short McFail is a dumbass.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-17-2009, 06:05 PM
McHale's resume as a GM is embarrassing.

SenorSpur
06-17-2009, 06:42 PM
McHale, as an NBA GM, is the Matt Millen of the NBA.

pauls931
06-17-2009, 06:50 PM
But but Jefferson is a monster! Yeah maybe he can get a job with memphis...

sonic21
06-17-2009, 06:51 PM
jefferson >>> amare

KSeal
06-17-2009, 07:25 PM
McHale's resume as a GM is embarrassing.

+1

Brandon Roy should be playing alongside Big Al. Or at least Mayo.

ginobili's bald spot
06-17-2009, 07:30 PM
Unbelievable how he was able to stay employed with that franchise for so long while doing such a horrible job.

TheProfessor
06-17-2009, 09:01 PM
"I was willing to come back, but they never offered me a contract," McHale told the St. Paul Pioneer Press. "They told me last week they were going in a different direction. I said, 'I think you're making a mistake.'"
:lol Actually, this is one of the better decisions they've made.

I also love that the end of McHale's ignominious career in Minnesota was broken by Kevin Love on Twitter, of all places. Rather fitting.

iggypop123
06-17-2009, 09:04 PM
this is about 7 years too late

baseline bum
06-17-2009, 09:31 PM
At least he got good return on trading Garnett, so you can say he did something positive for the franchise after driving it into the ground for years.

JamStone
06-17-2009, 10:15 PM
I know hindsight is 20/20 and you can do this for a lot of teams, but imagine a starting line-up that had these players:

OJ Mayo (probably wouldn't happen because their record would have been better, but oh well)
Brandon Roy
Danny Granger or Thaddeus Young
Al Jefferson

Udokafan05
06-17-2009, 11:08 PM
McHale, as an NBA GM, is the Matt Millen of the NBA.

That title belongs to Isaiah Thomas

pauls931
06-18-2009, 08:24 AM
jefferson >>> amare

All I can do is chuckle now...

Chieflion
06-18-2009, 08:34 AM
That title belongs to Isaiah Thomas
Wait a second, Isiah did a good job for the Raptors in his 4 year tenure drafting Damon Stoudamire (Rookie of the Year), Tracy McGrady and Marcus Camby. McHale is the one who really fails when he trades his draftees for players who dont fit the team.