PDA

View Full Version : Job Recoveries

Wild Cobra
06-18-2009, 01:17 PM
I found this link in another I was looking at, and found it interesting. At least San Antonio is looking OK. My areas prediction is 2013 for recovery.

Interactive: When will the nation's job markets return to normal? (http://www.sacbee.com/1098/story/1936416.html)

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x262/Wild_Cobra/Politics/EmployementRecoveryPrediction.jpg

jman3000
06-18-2009, 01:22 PM
San Antonio decided not to participate. It's actually been pretty remarkable. Technically we never actually went into recession unemployment to begin with... so there really isn't a time table for when we'll return to a pre recession marker. I think we've been around 5.5% the entire time.

I think Vegas should be in dark red, but maybe not because of the influx of Cali residents. Some would say it would just increase unemployement... some would say it would bring businesses in due to the old retail follows rooftops saying.

DarkReign
06-18-2009, 03:32 PM
Yay, 2014 (or beyond)! I'll only be 34 (or older).

SnakeBoy
06-18-2009, 03:39 PM
That map pretty much disproves the illegals are stealing our jobs argument.

sam1617
06-18-2009, 04:00 PM
That map pretty much disproves the illegals are stealing our jobs argument.

I don't really think that most sensible people consider that to be a hugely valid argument beyond its ability to ignite the masses. The more valid one to me is that people are working and getting benefits for living here, but not paying the income taxes because they are here illegally.

coyotes_geek
06-18-2009, 04:02 PM
I don't really think that most sensible people consider that to be a hugely valid argument beyond its ability to ignite the masses. The more valid one to me is that people are working and getting benefits for living here, but not paying the income taxes because they are here illegally.

All the more reason to dump income tax for consumption tax, but that's another conversation.

sam1617
06-18-2009, 04:04 PM
All the more reason to dump income tax for consumption tax, but that's another conversation.

I agree with you there 100 million percent. Stupid freaking income tax...

SnakeBoy
06-18-2009, 04:28 PM

Or make it easier for migrant workers to come here legally, so they will pay income tax.

LnGrrrR
06-18-2009, 04:35 PM
Or make it easier for migrant workers to come here legally, so they will pay income tax.

I don't think you'll get many conservatives agreeing with you, as most seem to be worried about border security more than getting more taxes/fiscal responsibility.

SnakeBoy
06-18-2009, 04:40 PM
I don't think you'll get many conservatives agreeing with you

Agreed. This is one issue I thought Bush was right about and I part ways with most of my fellow conservatives. Probably because I grew up in San Antonio so I'm not prone to "Oh my god, it's a mexican! He gonna steal my job!".

FaithInOne
06-18-2009, 05:00 PM
I'm all for importing hard working Mexicans and deporting...oh snap.

Cool find on that map. My friend just got a masters and was crying about having to fill out tons of applications. I was like "You are in Texas ffs, unemployment is 5+% below the natl average and Austin/San Antonio were top 2 on some list that ranked places where young people are most likely to find jobs in the country."

Viva Las Espuelas
06-18-2009, 05:30 PM
I don't think you'll get many conservatives agreeing with you, as most seem to be worried about border security more than getting more taxes/fiscal responsibility.
i'm all for legal aliens. everyone should be. this is america. at least for now.

Twisted_Dawg
06-18-2009, 05:39 PM
Can you imagine living in one of those places where recovery is "2014 or beyond"??

Talk about a fucked up situation.

Winehole23
06-18-2009, 06:53 PM
Neat find, WC.

Winehole23
06-18-2009, 07:04 PM
IHS Global Insight is predicting a three year jobs slump for most of the country. Ouch.

Wild Cobra
06-18-2009, 11:49 PM
i'm all for legal aliens. everyone should be. this is america. at least for now.
Has anyone conservative said otherwise? Liberals like to group illegal and legal together. Note that conservatives most often distinguish between the two.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-19-2009, 12:49 AM
Has anyone conservative said otherwise? Liberals like to group illegal and legal together. Note that conservatives most often distinguish between the two.
libs just need an excuse to hear themselves talk. it makes them feel alive.

TDMVPDPOY
06-19-2009, 01:40 AM
if you want to tackle unemployment, kick out all the illegals :D then the unemployed are force to take wetback jobs...

Trainwreck2100
06-19-2009, 02:16 AM
I hate seeing shit like this, cause when it gets out we run the risk of having those people in red come here

coyotes_geek
06-19-2009, 08:45 AM

You'd still have to worry about whether or not all those workers are legal migrant workers paying income tax or if they're an illegal migrant worker. If we dump income tax entirely and go consumption tax we don't have to worry about whether they're legal or not. If they're buying stuff in America, they're paying the tax.

That being said, I'm not opposed to some kind of migrant worker plan.

TeyshaBlue
06-19-2009, 10:10 AM

Don't confuse neo-cons with conservatives.:toast

101A
06-19-2009, 10:16 AM
Agreed. This is one issue I thought Bush was right about and I part ways with most of my fellow conservatives. Probably because I grew up in San Antonio so I'm not prone to "Oh my god, it's a mexican! He gonna steal my job!".

Also grew up in SA, but now I live in Western Pa (where Jose is pronounced Joe's) - and HERE is where people are bitching about the illegals - have no clue; 96% anglo. Map is amazing; good to see that the nation isn't paying attention to the way Texas is managing it's business; wouldn't want to spread that kind of thing around; much better to replicate what the NE and California have done!

101A
06-19-2009, 10:17 AM
I hate seeing shit like this, cause when it gets out we run the risk of having those people in red come here

They are already there, and more are coming. EVERYONE around here (Pa) has family that has moved to Texas.

sabar
06-19-2009, 10:24 AM
San Antonio doesn't have to recover because it never participated, same with most of Texas. The express-news has run several articles over the past few years about it. Low cost of living, high military presence, medical services based industry, so on and so forth.

They actually ran one a few days ago. San Antonio was ranked #1, Detroit last. Bunch of other texas cities in the top 10.

DarkReign
06-19-2009, 10:29 AM
My uncle and brother both temporarily moved to Texas about 2 years ago, iirc.

Brother came back, uncle moved with his company to Vegas.

coyotes_geek
06-19-2009, 10:57 AM
NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Forty-eight states and the District of Columbia recorded unemployment rate increases in May, the government reported Friday. One state registered a rate decrease, and one state had no rate change.

Over the year, jobless rates were higher in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Michigan once again led the nation with a 14.1% jobless rate, up from 12.9% a month earlier, followed again by Oregon at 12.4%, up from 12% in April. Thirteen states have rates above 10%.

Vermont recorded no change in its rate, while Nebraska's rate declined by 0.1 percentage point to 4.4%. Nebraska and North Dakota tied for the lowest unemployment rates in the nation.

The national unemployment rate rose to a 26-year high of 9.4% in May.

Nonfarm payroll employment decreased in 39 states and increased in 11 states and the District of Columbia in May. The largest over-the-month decrease in jobs occurred in California, followed by Florida, Texas, and Michigan.

The spike comes a month after the unemployment rate declined in 21 states in April.

http://money.cnn.com/2009/06/19/news/economy/State_unemployment_report/index.htm?postversion=2009061910

Wild Cobra
06-19-2009, 11:01 AM
Michigan once again led the nation with a 14.1% jobless rate, up from 12.9% a month earlier, followed again by Oregon at 12.4%, up from 12% in April. Thirteen states have rates above 10%.

This is no surprise. The Portland metropolitan area is the capital of the North-Left coast!

DarkReign
06-19-2009, 04:51 PM
Had a military project pulled out from under me today.

Michigan can now add more unemployed workers to their roster, with me soon to follow.

clambake
06-19-2009, 04:53 PM
sorry to hear that DR.

good luck

Homeland Security
06-19-2009, 04:57 PM
Yay, 2014 (or beyond)! I'll only be 34 (or older).

They don't have a separate color for "never."

Homeland Security
06-19-2009, 04:58 PM
Had a military project pulled out from under me today.

Michigan can now add more unemployed workers to their roster, with me soon to follow.
Relocate from Michigan while you still have the means.

DarkReign
06-19-2009, 05:15 PM
Shit happens. Worst part is, my resumé will read "Managed business into bankruptcy".

:lmao

I cant wait to see how this shit turns out. I really am completely and unequivocally emotionally unattached from this country. I sincerely hope we start a world war so I can at least see humanity burn by its own fire. Its about the only aspiration I have left.

DarkReign
06-19-2009, 05:17 PM
I was drunk
The day my mom
Got out of prison

And I went, to pick her up
In the raaaaaaain

But befoooore I could get to the station in my pickuuuuup, truck
She got runned over by the damned ol' train

DarkReign
06-19-2009, 05:25 PM
I cant control the rage that flows from me
I cant shut it down, it overwhelms me
I cant stop the the rage that flows from me

Cant stop the violence
I love it
No one's immune to hate that flows from it
Infectious
I feed on it
Ever fucking endless day

You either on my side, or else youre in my way
You wont stand a chance when I am lashing out random hate
There is no other way
Its my discipline, its my way of life

FaithInOne
06-19-2009, 10:01 PM
Before the economy tanked, the Texas coast was turning into Florida Coast v2.o just with shitty humidity and mosquitoes. Real Estate by the bay was tripling in price within 2 years.

Props to Texas on keeping alpha status. THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

sabar
06-20-2009, 01:54 AM
Shit happens. Worst part is, my resumé will read "Managed business into bankruptcy".

:lmao

I cant wait to see how this shit turns out. I really am completely and unequivocally emotionally unattached from this country. I sincerely hope we start a world war so I can at least see humanity burn by its own fire. Its about the only aspiration I have left.

Don't worry, by the time Detroit's job sector recovers, the Las Vegas Pistons should be on the verge of another title run!

SnakeBoy
06-20-2009, 02:01 AM
I sincerely hope we start a world war so I can at least see humanity burn by its own fire.

If you get your wish, I sincerely hope your ass gets drafted.

SnakeBoy
06-20-2009, 02:11 AM
by the time Detroit's job sector recovers

Is Detroit ever going to recover?

I saw this show on huge sections of the city that have been basically uninhabited since the 50's when the city started it's downward spiral.

DarkReign
06-22-2009, 08:35 AM
...annnnnd one of the employees I laid off last week died of an overdose this weekend.

DarkReign
06-22-2009, 08:35 AM
If you get your wish, I sincerely hope your ass gets drafted.

Im too old, fuck nuts.