PDA

View Full Version : Ex-Spurs Exec To Push Tech System

duncan228
06-18-2009, 01:23 PM
Ex-Spurs exec to push Tech system (http://lubbockonline.com/stories/061809/loc_452080936.shtml)
By Marlena Hartz

A former executive for the San Antonio Spurs has been hired to develop a national marketing strategy for the Texas Tech University System.

Russ Bookbinder, who retired last June as the executive vice president of business operations at Spurs Sports & Entertainment, is expected to begin his new role as Tech's vice chancellor and chief marketing officer July 2.

In his two-decade run with the Spurs, Bookbinder earned a reputation as a behind-the-scenes agent of growth.

"When I left the Spurs, I wanted to take a year off to spend time with family. I was waiting to look at an opportunity that matched what we wanted to accomplish. This is a great opportunity," said Bookbinder, 57.

In his former position, Bookbinder oversaw operations for four sports teams - the Spurs, the WNBA's Silver Stars, the NBA Development League's Austin Toros and the American Hockey League's Rampage, San Antonio's minor league hockey team. He's been credited with developing an organizational structure and a staff that helped push the Spurs from "a single team entity into a major sports and entertainment company," reads a Tech System news release about his hire.

Tech System leaders have ambitious growth goals, too. They want to catapult Tech into a new realm as a nationally recognized research university within the next five years and grow from about 28,000 to 40,000 students by 2020.

Bookbinder will help the university achieve those goals and develop an integrated marketing strategy for three system components - Tech, the Health Sciences Center and Angelo State University.

"I think we've got a great story to tell," Tech System Chancellor Kent Hance said. "His job will be to make sure ... we're all on the same page."

Bookbinder's annual salary will be about $225,000, Hance said.

The former Spurs executive called the university environment "energizing," and said he'll start his position by doing a lot of listening.

"Given the experiences I have had over time, I think I could help contribute to the growth of the students and the university," he said.

"Marketing is a science and an art, whether you are trying to communicate a sports brand or a university brand ... the blocking and the tackling are the same and the skills are very transferable," said Bookbinder, who was raised in Miami, Fla.

He received a degree in advertising from the University of Florida in 1974.

His wife, Tammy - who is the daughter of former Baylor football coach Grant Teaff - lived in Lubbock for several years as a child and has family in Amarillo and Snyder.

Bookbinder replaces David McClure, who has been named the Associate Vice Chancellor for Technology Commercialization.

In his new position, McClure will market a Tech wind farm at the Pantex Plant near Amarillo, as well as other system research endeavors and new technologies.

DPG21920
06-18-2009, 01:29 PM
Congrats to him.

Marcus Bryant
06-18-2009, 03:31 PM
rofl

DMX7
06-18-2009, 07:28 PM
I didn't even know "Tech" had a system.