PDA

View Full Version : The move that cost the Suns everything...

pauls931
06-18-2009, 04:10 PM
Funny quote I found on fannation.com

The Suns demise began when the Lakers traded for Gasol and just about every team in the league began to panic. That trade cost the Suns everything, including a coach and probably their best player (Marion). Immediately, the Suns went out and acquired Shaq, Dallas went out and acquired Kidd, San Antonio went out and brought in that center/forward that played for the Suns, Knick; I forgot his name. The Lakers are now the NBA champs and the Suns, Dallas, and San Antonio are trying to recover from the knee jerk moves that they made to offset the Lakers move. The Suns had a good formula, now they have to rebuild.

Sounds about right to me.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-18-2009, 04:18 PM
The Shaq and Kidd trade are miles higher than the Thomas trade. The Thomas trade was actually better for the Spurs, aside from losing a pick. The quote makes it sound like the Spurs lost in the playoffs because of that. Really, who would want Elson over Thomas?

pauls931
06-18-2009, 04:21 PM
true the guy was a bit off with Thomas and probably valued Marion too much, but I agree with the gist of it.

Chillen
06-18-2009, 04:32 PM
The Gasol trade sickens me to a degree. The Chicago Bulls offered Memphis a pretty sweet deal for Pau, got nothing. The Lakers come along and offer Kwame Brown and they do it, wtf. Than the Suns, Mavericks and Spurs make trades naturally to compete. The trade was legal, but if you ask me only a Lakers fan makes that trade not an actual GM with half a freaking brain. Totally a trade made to put the Lakers back on top, and not to help the Memphis franchise, and make all other West teams scratch their heads.

sonic21
06-18-2009, 04:38 PM
The move that cost the Suns everything...

i thought it would be a thread about amare and diaw leaving the bench.

NewcastleKEG
06-18-2009, 04:46 PM
IMO, I would have held onto Marion and in cooperated Barbosa more into the offense. The guy has not improved in the last 3 years

KSeal
06-18-2009, 04:57 PM
The soft Spaniard reeking havoc. No trash talk, just a softy reeking the havoc he's supposed to reek.

Double-Up
06-18-2009, 05:20 PM
Not being able to keep Joe Johnson hurt you guys the most...

JamStone
06-18-2009, 05:22 PM
The hiring of Steve Kerr as GM?

crc21209
06-18-2009, 05:26 PM
:lol at this idiot thinking the Spurs went and got Kurt Thomas just because of the Gasol trade. Totally false. The Spurs had been eyeing Thomas for awhile already before they finally made a deal.

JamStone
06-18-2009, 05:33 PM
Lakers trading for Gasol caused Dallas to acquire Jason Kidd because Kidd can defend Pau Gasol better than Devin Harris.

Twisted_Dawg
06-18-2009, 05:34 PM
The Gasol Trade? That was a trade?

Kobe laughingly called it a "donation".

TheMACHINE
06-18-2009, 07:02 PM
The Gasol trade sickens me to a degree. The Chicago Bulls offered Memphis a pretty sweet deal for Pau, got nothing. The Lakers come along and offer Kwame Brown and they do it, wtf. Than the Suns, Mavericks and Spurs make trades naturally to compete. The trade was legal, but if you ask me only a Lakers fan makes that trade not an actual GM with half a freaking brain. Totally a trade made to put the Lakers back on top, and not to help the Memphis franchise, and make all other West teams scratch their heads.

who were the Bulls offering?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-18-2009, 07:07 PM
:lmao idiots that think the pre-Shaq trade Suns in 2008 had snow ball's chance in hell of contending.

Chillen
06-18-2009, 07:19 PM
who were the Bulls offering?

They were just rumors, the Bulls did make plenty of offers I am sure, clearly they couldn't agree on a trade, but I believe one trade scenario was:
Luol Deng, P.J. Brown's expiring $8.5 million contract, Tyrus Thomas, a 2007 first round pick (via Knicks) and a 2009 first round pick for Pau Gasol and Hakim Warrick. Ben Gordon, Andres Nocioni and Kirk Hinrich were among other names mentioned in trade scenarios and rumors. Clearly Memphis could have gotten more for him than Kwame Brown.

06-18-2009, 07:31 PM
that kurt thomas trade was pretty smart. kt for a first round pick that the spurs would probably draft and stash anyways. thomas practically neutralized shaq and is a more than solid defensive/rebounding center. it's not like kt somehow contributed to ginobili's injuries. and i think the suns made the shaq trade to thwart the spurs and duncan, not because of the gasol donation.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-18-2009, 07:40 PM
the KT trade helped the Spurs, plain and simple.

If the Suns never traded KT and had him in the playoffs that year, they beat the Spurs.

cobbler
06-18-2009, 08:33 PM
They were just rumors, the Bulls did make plenty of offers I am sure, clearly they couldn't agree on a trade, but I believe one trade scenario was:
Luol Deng, P.J. Brown's expiring $8.5 million contract, Tyrus Thomas, a 2007 first round pick (via Knicks) and a 2009 first round pick for Pau Gasol and Hakim Warrick. Ben Gordon, Andres Nocioni and Kirk Hinrich were among other names mentioned in trade scenarios and rumors. Clearly Memphis could have gotten more for him than Kwame Brown.

They didnt trade for Kwame... they traded for his expiring contract which was the highest at the moment. They also wanted youth and picks not middle of the road players. Get over it.

I kind of fiind it hard to believe they would give up Deng for Pau...yet refused to do so for Kobe. Hmmmmmm

Trainwreck2100
06-18-2009, 08:43 PM
They didnt trade for Kwame... they traded for his expiring contract which was the highest at the moment. They also wanted youth and picks not middle of the road players. Get over it.

I kind of fiind it hard to believe they would give up Deng for Pau...yet refused to do so for Kobe. Hmmmmmm

It's not that they wouldnt do it for kobe, it's because Kobe said he'd block any trade that sent him to a shitty team(with his no trade clause), so he'd block a trade that included deng. I remember Magic Johnson on inside the nba when that shit went down he said something like. "We (the lakers) would take any players that we want and he(kobe) wouldn't like what he was left with"

TheMACHINE
06-18-2009, 09:08 PM

The Grizzlies got rid of Kwame the next year. It's called trading for an expiring contract...something the bulls couldnt do.

Trainwreck2100
06-18-2009, 09:12 PM
The Grizzlies got rid of Kwame the next year. It's called trading for an expiring contract...something the bulls couldnt do.

P.J. Brown's expiring $8.5 million contract

Chieflion
06-18-2009, 09:18 PM

Look here, Luol Deng was about 21/22 years old, Tyrus was about 20, and a lottery bound pick, what more can the Grizzlies want?

KSeal
06-18-2009, 10:32 PM
This Gasol trade bickering will never find an end, but I suppose if I didn't live in LA I would still be complaining about it a year and a half later too.

dirk4mvp
06-18-2009, 11:17 PM
This Gasol trade bickering will never find an end, but I suppose if I didn't live in LA I would still be complaining about it a year and a half later too.

You're right. People in LA have more important things to worry about . . . like clean air to breathe.

KSeal
06-18-2009, 11:57 PM
You're right. People in LA have more important things to worry about . . . like clean air to breathe.

No, like being happy we got away with the highway robbery that was the Gasol deal while everyone else is still pissed and complaining 17 months later. It's understandable, that's my point. Way to take a comment 100% the wrong way.

dirk4mvp
06-19-2009, 12:09 AM
Way to take a comment 100% the wrong way.

Talking to yourself here?

KSeal
06-19-2009, 12:10 AM
Talking to yourself here?

Nope, you. Probably should have said that first though :hat

dirk4mvp
06-19-2009, 12:17 AM
:domokun