PDA

View Full Version : Another reason I'll never go tubing on the river again.....

Blake
06-18-2009, 04:34 PM
my nephew went a some time back...

not sure exact details, but he was having to walk in some low area of the guadalupe, slipped and as he tried to balance himself stepped hard into an area of sharp jagged rocks that tore his foot up.

He ended up with 16 stitches.....but that's not the worst part...

he was given antibiotics to kill bacteria, but after several weeks, the ankle looked to be getting worse....

the doctor said it looked like normal recovery to him, just keep taking the antibiotics. Twice he said this, but [luckily] his mom decided to take him to a foot doctor.

The doc took 1 look and said to get to the hospital. They ran some tests, did an MRI, etc......turns out he had a bad infection that had already spread to the bone.

He had suregry last night to removed all the puss and stuff from out around the bone, and tomorrow, they will back into the bone...

I'm guessing it might be staph.....not too sure yet. The doc said that rivers, especially ones like this that are slow and filled with all that urine, fecal matter and whatever else you can think of make it that much worse.

Sheez.

Soul_Patch
06-18-2009, 04:44 PM
Exactly why i avoid that shit...especially when the water isnt moving at all.

BacktoBasics
06-18-2009, 04:53 PM
So you're saying that its a bad idea to drink the water?

stretch
06-18-2009, 04:53 PM
neat

CosmicCowboy
06-18-2009, 04:55 PM
We deal with that all the time wade fishing at the coast...there's stuff in the water down there (besides sharks) that can kill you...we sanitize and disinfect any cuts, scratches etc. and watch them closely...but that's no reason to hide in a bubble and not live.

ashbeeigh
06-18-2009, 04:59 PM
Yikes! I hope he feels better. That's horrible.

mookie2001
06-18-2009, 05:07 PM
16 stiches is pretty bad, but who has ever floated the river and not been bruised with several cuts and at least one heinous gash, unless you float the kiddie circle

wearing real shoes is a must

Sal Monella
06-18-2009, 05:27 PM
That sucks. I've been tubing for years and have never had any problems. And yes, you must wear shoes or you are just asking to cut an infection.

Dex
06-18-2009, 05:29 PM
He should buy some of those cool Crocs. :jack

FaithInOne
06-18-2009, 05:40 PM
That sucks man. I had a close family member almost die from MRSA that they randomly picked up from out of no where (no cuts, nothing).

Like Cosmic said, there is stuff down at the coast in the water (in hot summer mostly) that can literally kill you within days. Amputate is best case scenario if not recognized immediately. The name of it escapes me atm, but I usually know what its called.

SnakeBoy
06-18-2009, 06:27 PM
The name of it escapes me atm, but I usually know what its called.

Vibrio the most common infectious marine bacteria. It can be reallly bad. Mycobacterium marinum is another one right up there with vibrio.

Evil Angel
06-18-2009, 08:55 PM
16 stiches is pretty bad, but who has ever floated the river and not been bruised with several cuts and at least one heinous gash, unless you float the kiddie circle

Yes, REAL shoes is it. Live in Bandera and have tubed the Medina (Places not too many have gone.) and the Guadalupe. They tend to be a little heavy, but pay off in the long run.
Sorry to hear problems, but one must always be prepared. If its not the rocks its the beer cans and bottles the assholes throw in! :nope
Hope all goes well in the long run.

MannyIsGod
06-18-2009, 09:02 PM
We deal with that all the time wade fishing at the coast...there's stuff in the water down there (besides sharks) that can kill you...we sanitize and disinfect any cuts, scratches etc. and watch them closely...but that's no reason to hide in a bubble and not live.

Udokafan05
06-18-2009, 10:21 PM

Stingrays are the worst

BlackSwordsMan
06-18-2009, 10:59 PM
walk it off pussy

Blake
06-18-2009, 11:27 PM

beh. I'm living it up just fine without tubing down a toilet river any more.

I've tubed on the the Guadalupe about 10 times.......always had a busted ankle in our group even with water socks/shoes, always had a flipped cooler losing beer, and in 2000 during the flood, even had a buddy's car float off.

Definitely had some good times, especially passing out jello shots for flashes of rack....

but it's not worth the effort any more, especially when shit like this happens.

Blake
06-18-2009, 11:28 PM
walk it off pussy

winner

Cry Havoc
06-18-2009, 11:31 PM
Water shoes are really nice. And very cheap.

phyzik
06-18-2009, 11:41 PM
1) Buy a kayak, its much more fun and less dirty plus you can go fishing where boats cant if your into fishing.

2) If you cant buy a kayak buy a pair of neoprene water shoes. They are hard to tear and are a great insulator for that cold water. They cost about $30 if I remember correctly.

3) The Guadalupe is fucking nasty, Tubing on other lesser known rivers is cool, for instance, the upper Medina River (above the lake) just past Bandera. The water is CRYSTAL CLEAR!! You can literally see straight to the bottom even when it gets as deep as 15 to 20 feet. Stay away from the tourast bullshit.

chode_regulator
06-19-2009, 07:14 AM
That sucks man. I had a close family member almost die from MRSA that they randomly picked up from out of no where (no cuts, nothing).

Like Cosmic said, there is stuff down at the coast in the water (in hot summer mostly) that can literally kill you within days. Amputate is best case scenario if not recognized immediately. The name of it escapes me atm, but I usually know what its called.
awesome sig video. I want to punch that bitch in the face.

Vibrio the most common infectious marine bacteria. It can be reallly bad. Mycobacterium marinum is another one right up there with vibrio.

Had a close family friend that almost died from taht vibrio shit like two summers ago. pretty gnarly stuff.