PDA

View Full Version : Phil Mickelson: The People's Champion

FoxPerez
06-18-2009, 04:57 PM
http://www.cocktailmatch.com/

"Tiger Woods is the best there is, and will untlimately be the best of all time. But we average golfers can't relate to someone that wins all the time and always gets the job done because, to the rest of the world, that's just not the way that golf goes."

We were with Phil Mickelson when he struggled with his game just like many of us have, and that's why Phil will always be the people's champion.

http://www.cocktailmatch.com/

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-19-2009, 01:45 PM
Phil Mickelson a phony douche bag who could be a lot better than he is. Phil Mickelson has himself to blame for struggling to close out tournaments, carrying an extra 50 pounds is a disadvantage someone who plays golf for a living has no reason to have.

He's near the top of the leaderboard now and I can't wait to see another choke job.

resistanze
06-19-2009, 01:59 PM
I want to be like Karl Malone rather than "Be like Mike" because I'm just average folk who can relate to choking.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-19-2009, 02:09 PM
^:lmao

FoxPerez
06-19-2009, 04:49 PM
You can't compare Phil Mickelson to Karl Malone. Karl Malone never won a championship. Phil Mickelson has won three majors and isn't done yet.

If Mickelson wanted to prepare himself best for the US Open, he wouldn't have taken time off to be with his wife, who was just diagnosed with breast cancer. Are you going to disparage him for putting family first too?

His track record in majors is 2nd to only Tiger, and so far he's playing the majors better than Tiger this year.

If the Number 2 player in the world is a choker, what does that make everyone else?

resistanze
06-19-2009, 08:20 PM
You can't compare Phil Mickelson to Karl Malone. Karl Malone never won a championship. Phil Mickelson has won three majors and isn't done yet.

If Mickelson wanted to prepare himself best for the US Open, he wouldn't have taken time off to be with his wife, who was just diagnosed with breast cancer. Are you going to disparage him for putting family first too?

His track record in majors is 2nd to only Tiger, and so far he's playing the majors better than Tiger this year.

If the Number 2 player in the world is a choker, what does that make everyone else?

You missed the entire point. The argument that Mickleson is easier to root for than Tiger is BS. According to the arguments in your post, why would the average golfer relate to Phil moreso than Tiger? Why not David Duvall? Or Kenny Perry?

The average golfer relates to someone who you're basically arguing is bested only by Tiger? How does that make sense?

Udokafan05
06-19-2009, 10:41 PM
I am shocked to see Duval doing well.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-19-2009, 11:54 PM

Pretty sure Padraig Harrington has at least three majors.

FoxPerez
06-20-2009, 12:01 AM
You missed the entire point. The argument that Mickleson is easier to root for than Tiger is BS. According to the arguments in your post, why would the average golfer relate to Phil moreso than Tiger? Why not David Duvall? Or Kenny Perry?

The average golfer relates to someone who you're basically arguing is bested only by Tiger? How does that make sense?

No. HE missed the entire point. I was only counting that particular part of his argument. If you watch the video that this was linked to, you'd see that my argument is that he's not only relatable because he struggles, but because of the way he overcame his struggles. David Duval could've been where Phil is now, but he dropped off the face of the Earth after winning the Open Championship. And we didn't watch Kenny Perry from the beginning and haven't been as gripped by his story.

There's just something about the way he came up, the way he acts whether he wins or loses, the way that family is such a big part of even his public persona, his relationship with the fans, that just makes people love him in a different way than any other golfer on tour.

Have you seen the repsonse to him at Bethpage!?

Forget Bethpage, actually. You should see his following at a tournament when he's NOT in contention. He's one of the few guys whom people follow no matter where he is on the leaderboard.

balli
06-20-2009, 03:38 PM
I somewhat like Phil. The gallery likes Phil. Obviously, everyone is sympathetic in regards to his wife's diagnosis. I think he's a little phony, but hell, I'll take a little dis-ingenuity in stride. At least he's going through the motions.

That said, unless it's a 72nd hole situation, I don't turn on tournaments to watch a fake-nice guy who's never lived up to his potential, potentially/usually fail. I watch tournaments because of Tiger Woods.

In my case, I find it much easier to root for Tiger and the breaking of Jack's major record than to support Mickelson for having the appearance of being a nice guy underdog. And it's not even close actually. I'm a fan of excellence in sports, not personal relatability and a shared sense of family values.

And any fan who would rather follow an out of contention Phil over an in contention Tiger (or vice versa) isn't a fan of golf, they're a fan of feel-good celebrity buzz.

Heath Ledger
06-20-2009, 07:31 PM
Tiger Woods may be a great golfer but he is a notorious non tipping douche bag. He has a do not tip policy.

dirk4mvp
06-21-2009, 02:29 AM
I thought Paul Wall was the People's Champ.

brettn
06-21-2009, 07:15 PM
I thought Paul Wall was the People's Champ.

I thought it was The Rock.

ace3g
06-22-2009, 10:46 AM
Phil just made an eagle on the 13th to go to 4 under and a share of the lead with Glover

manufan10
06-22-2009, 11:20 AM
I thought it was The Rock.

Most definitely The Rock!

balli
06-22-2009, 01:02 PM
Mickelson left Bethpage Black with the wrong kind of distinction. He set the U.S. Open record with his fifth runner-up finish.

resistanze
06-22-2009, 01:21 PM
The People's Runner-Up!

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-22-2009, 02:56 PM
lol choke job
lol pathetic ASU choker
lol Phil Mickelson