PDA

View Full Version : Yao Ming Says Cleveland Move “Unknown”

duncan228
06-19-2009, 01:20 PM
Yao Ming says Cleveland move “unknown” (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-yaoming-cavaliers&prov=ap&type=lgns)
By Christopher Bodeen

Rockets center Yao Ming has called a possible move to Cleveland an “unknown” amid rumors that the Cavaliers’ new Chinese part owners want to sign him.

In a recent interview with his hometown Shanghai TV station, Yao said he continued to have “much affection” for the Houston Rockets, the team that took him in the first round of the 2003 draft and with whom he has played all six of his NBA seasons.

Yao has not won a championship, but said Houston’s drive to the second-round of the playoffs this year had given him hope that the Rockets can contend next season.

Rumors of a possible move to Cleveland have swirled since a group of Chinese investors signed an agreement last month with the Cavaliers to become minority owners. The move is expected to boost the team’s popularity and marketing opportunities in China, where Cleveland star LeBron James is very popular.

“This is all an unknown,” Yao said in the interview, a transcript of which was posted online Friday.

“I’ve already been with Houston for such a long time, I still have much affection for this team,” he said. “Moreover, this past season we were very successful, and that let me see some hope.”

Cleveland has not publicly expressed interest in Yao, who has one guaranteed year left on his contract with Houston, including a player option for the 2010-11 season.

Yao broke his troublesome left foot in Game 3 of the second-round playoff series against the Los Angeles Lakers, the eventual champions.

The lure of a championship remains strong and Yao conceded to feeling jealous of fellow China national team member Sun Yue, who played for the Lakers.

“There’s a little bit of envy,” Yao said. “If I didn’t have feel even some jealousy, then I’m afraid that really would make me a little too much of a slacker.”

Double-Up
06-19-2009, 01:33 PM
Of course Yao doesn't know what he's gonna do, the CBA will tell him what to do, I sitll remember negotiations with China on Yao playing in the NBA after he was drafted and it was hell.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-19-2009, 01:39 PM
Does Danny Ferry like collecting big men that have trouble jogging a distance greater than 50 feet?

ffadicted
06-19-2009, 02:28 PM
This might be the worst rumor in recent NBA history lol

What the fuck does cleveland have to offer houston for Yao Ming.

duncan228
06-19-2009, 09:49 PM
Rockets don’t see Yao in Cleveland (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Rockets_dont_see_Yao_in_Cleveland.html)
By Jonathan Feigen - Houston Chronicle

HOUSTON — A day after Houston Rockets center Yao Ming sidestepped questions about the idea of a move to Cleveland in 2010 to play for the Cavaliers’ Chinese minority owners, Rockets general manager Daryl Morey was far more direct about his plans.

“Yao,” Morey said via e-mail, “is the cornerstone of our franchise now and in the future.”

Amid speculation in China that Yao would consider leaving the Rockets for the Cavaliers after next season, Yao dismissed such an option as “unknown.”

Speaking to a Shanghai television station, Yao said, “whether he (Huang Jianhua, who heads the Chinese minority ownership group) is Chinese or foreign, they are just bosses.

“I’ve already been with Houston for such a long time, I still have much affection for this team,” Yao said in an interview translated by the Associated Press. “Moreover, this past season we were very successful, and that let me see some hope (about the Rockets’ chances to win the championship).”

Yao is signed through the 2010-11 season, but can opt out of his contract to become a free agent after next season, a step he is expected to take before the current collective bargaining agreement between the NBA and Players Association expires.

The Rockets could sign Yao to an extension, but if Yao is a max-contract player, as expected, that could cost him between $35 million to $45 million, depending on the value of the salary cap during the offseason he becomes a free agent.

Even as a free agent, the Rockets could offer a considerably larger contract than other teams. Based on a $64 million salary cap, a max contract for Yao if he remains with the Rockets would be worth roughly $133 million over six years. Other teams would be able to offer five years and roughly $102 million.

Yao has often said the Rockets’ ability to contend for a championship would be his primary consideration, but has also been clear about his preference to stay in Houston.

“I’ve played for this team for seven years,” Yao said during the season. “It’s hard to just drop it and switch to another one and start over. I want a full career, and I feel like the Rockets are like home. Why change?”

KSeal
06-19-2009, 11:46 PM
Cleveland is trying so hard to make a Gasol type deal to keep LBJ in town.

Reeko_Htown
06-20-2009, 12:50 AM
I've heard Rumors but this one takes the cake. The funny thing is that TONS of media outlets are rolling with it and it's complete garbage.

Chieflion
06-20-2009, 02:22 AM
Yao Ming is one superstar that will never leave his team. He brings revenue to the Rockets more than any other people. The only way Yao Ming goes to Cleveland is when LeBron goes to Houston.

robbie380
06-20-2009, 03:33 AM
but you're not a fool...are you?