PDA

View Full Version : Gervin Lets Kids Benefit From His Lesson

duncan228
06-19-2009, 02:53 PM
Gervin lets kids benefit from his lesson (http://blogs.usatoday.com/gameon/2009/06/gervin-lets-kids-benefit-from-his-lesson.html?csp=34)
By Reid Cherner & Tom Weir

SAN ANTONIO -- Former NBA All Star George Gervin told a gathering at the annual conference of the National Athletic Trainers' Association he learned a big lesson Thursday.

USA TODAY's Janice Lloyd reports that sitting with a panel of health experts who issued a progressive heat acclimatization program for secondary school athletes for preseason training in all sports, Gervin said he will change the way he coaches kids at basketball camps.

"I remember growing up in Detroit and playing basketball in the summer in gyms that were not air conditioned," he said. " It would be 100 degrees in the gym and we'd be running back and forth for hours. After what I heard here today, I realize how close we came to getting really sick."

Heatstroke is defined by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention as a life threatening condition that requires hospitalization. Nearly 30 high school football athletes have died of heat- related illnesses since 1995 but heatstroke can impact any athlete.

NATA and a task force issued the guidelines - a first of a kind, according to task force chairman Doug Casa - because in 50 different states there are 30 different guidelines and some states have none.

The message: gradually increasing the pressure on athletes during the 14 days of preseason training prepares them to deal with the heat. "Death from exertional training is entirely preventable," says Casa.

Gervin stands tall in the community here after retiring from the San Antonio Spurs. He has founded a charter school, a youth center and runs wellness programs for children in addition to his basketball camps.

"I used to say to kids when they would be just starting camp 'Make your two free throws and you can sit down. Don't make them and you will start running.' I won't be doing that anymore. These are powerful guidelines and anyone who works with kids needs to know them.."