PDA

View Full Version : Former Spur wins NBDL rookie of the year

IcemanCometh
04-01-2005, 12:55 AM
GREENVILLE, S.C. - Roanoke Dazzle forward James Thomas has been selected by a unanimous vote of the league's head coaches as the National Basketball Development League's 2004-05 Rookie of the Year.

A second-round selection (8th overall) in the 2004 NBDL Draft, the University of Texas ('04) product leads the NBA Development League in rebounds per game (13.0) and defensive rebounds per game (8.3).

Thomas not only leads the league with 20 double-doubles, but is also the only player in the NBDL to average a double-double. His 12.3 points per game is 15th in the league, while he is fourth in the NBDL in minutes played (34.9) and field goal percentage at .542 (149-275).

“From the first day James came to Roanoke and into the NBDL he had his mind made up that he was going to be the best rebounder in this league,” Dazzle head coach Kent Davison said. “With that kind of attitude and his approach to playing the game, he distinguished himself as one of the top players in the league and also earned a chance to be called up to the NBA.”

Thomas was signed to consecutive 10-day contracts by the Portland Trail Blazers in January and to another 10-day contract with the Cleveland Cavaliers in February. He played in nine games (two starts) for the Trail Blazers, averaging 12.4 minutes, 2.7 points and 3.9 rebounds per game. He grabbed 15 rebounds against Cleveland on January 19.

“With so many great young players in our league it is difficult to single out just one for Rookie of the Year, but James is a deserving winner,” NBDL director of basketball operations Chris Alpert said. “He has worked extremely hard, is a great ambassador for our league and has really developed into a leadership role for his team even though he is a rookie.”

Thomas joins Desmond Penigar (Asheville, '04), Devin Brown (Fayetteville, '03) and Fred House (Charleston, '02) as winners of the NBDL Rookie of the Year Award.

http://www.texassports.com/image_lib/mbb_thomas_033005_200.jpg

Kori Ellis
04-01-2005, 12:56 AM
Good for him. He was completely lost in the Spurs system, but maybe he'll be a contributor on some NBA team next season.

Geno Billy
04-01-2005, 01:02 AM
Ice, as long as you are mentioning "former Spurs", why not also give it up for "former Spur" Matt Carroll being named NBDL MVP today?

http://www.nba.com/nbdl/nbdl/carroll_050331.html

Current Bobcats and Former Dazzle Guard Earns League’s Top Honor
Carroll Named Most Valuable Player

GREENVILLE, S.C., March 31 – Current Charlotte Bobcats guard Matt Carroll has been named the National Basketball Development League’s Most Valuable Player for the 2004-05 season. Carroll, who played the majority of the season for the Roanoke Dazzle, was selected by a vote of the league’s head coaches.

Carroll, 6-6 and 212-pounds, was signed by the Bobcats on February 23. At the time of his GATORADE Call-Up, Carroll led the NBDL in scoring (20.1 ppg) and three-point field goal percentage at (.605, 23-38). He was the NBDL player of the month for January after averaging 22.3 points and making 64-percent from behind the three-point line (9-14).

“When Matt called me and said he wanted to come back to Roanoke after training camp at Golden State, I was obviously very happy,” Dazzle head coach Kent Davison said. “I knew we were getting a great player back, and secondly, I knew we were getting a player who would do the things he needed to do to get better and make us better. He had made his mind up that he was going to be the best player in this league.”

Carroll has played in 12 games since signing with the Bobcats, averaging 15.4 minutes, 7.5 points and 2.6 rebounds. He scored a season-high 18 points against the Boston Celtics on March 14.

“Matt displayed a tremendous work ethic and focus this season, which ultimately earned him a call-up to the Bobcats,” NBDL director of basketball operations Chris Alpert said. “His ability to shoot the long-range jump shot and create using the dribble makes him difficult to guard.”

Carroll put up the top scoring game in the NBDL this season with 43 points against the Florida Flame on February 9. That output is the second-best single game effort in D-League history. He tied the NBDL single game record by making 19 field goals in that game.

‘Matt’s continued development speaks volumes of the tremendous job the Roanoke coaches did preparing him to play in the NBA.” Alpert said. “We anticipate Matt will follow along the similar path of past NBDL MVPs who are proving to be valuable contributors to NBA teams.”

Carroll joins current NBA players Devin Brown (Spurs) and Tierre Brown (Lakers), as well as former NBA forward Ansu Sesay (Sonics) as winners of the NBDL Most Valuable Player Award. Sesay was the league’s inaugural winner while playing for Greenville in 2001-02, while Devin Brown claimed the honor as a Fayetteville Patriot in 2002-03. Tierre Brown won it last season while playing at Charleston.

ChumpDumper
From the first day James came to Roanoke and into the NBDL he had his mind made up that he was going to be the best rebounder in this leagueGreat, now learn the rest of the game. Be seeing you.

IcemanCometh
i woulda mentioned matt carroll, but hes a douche bag

timvp
04-01-2005, 01:03 AM
if matt carroll would have gone to ut your room would have an altar in your bedroom about the dreamy mc oh my

MannyIsGod
04-01-2005, 01:08 AM
Maybe next time he comes to an NBA camp, he'll decide to come in shape.

Geno Billy
04-01-2005, 01:10 AM
i woulda mentioned matt carroll, but hes a douche bag

Not like your can't miss main man, Omar Cook, eh ice ice baby?

http://www.nba.com/media/nbdl/cook_140_031129.jpg

milkyway21
04-01-2005, 02:27 AM
Devin Brown played in NBDL, too, right?

alamo50
04-01-2005, 02:30 AM
What was wrong with me posting this already yesterday?

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12877

:huh

Kori Ellis
04-01-2005, 02:31 AM
Nothing is wrong with your post. It's just Iceman Cometh is trying to draw attention to it/himself because James Thomas went to UT.

IcemanCometh
04-01-2005, 02:34 AM
whats wrong?! i didn't see it and your momma. thats whats wrong.

alamo50
04-01-2005, 03:06 AM
But my momma said you didn't pay her!?!

mookie2001
04-01-2005, 12:45 PM
he's a TEXAS boy, he looks good, he feels good