PDA

View Full Version : my top 3 hardest losses of my life

kobyz
06-19-2009, 05:10 PM
1. 2006 Western Conference semifinals game 7 against Dallas Mavericks - after we came of 20-point down to lead by 3 with 32 seconds to go we lost because one stupid foul. instead of being one of the sweetest wins it was the hardest loss in Spurs history. if not of this loss we had another title, Phoenix less Stoudemire and Miami were not gonna beat us.

2. 2008 Western Conference finals Game 1 against L.A Lakers - this was the second hardest loss, after we had a 20 point lead in the third we somehow menage to lost this game, if we were to win this game i think the series would have been our. this was our biggest choke!

3. 2004 Western Conference semifinals game 5 against L.A Lakers - the Fisher shot.

robert1886
06-19-2009, 05:18 PM
damn that fisher shot!

DesignatedT
06-19-2009, 05:30 PM
1. def. 2006 game 7 vs dallas... very tough one to swallow after such a great comeback and having the game in our hands.

2. fisher shot

3. every loss to oklahoma city last year

slayermin
06-19-2009, 05:33 PM
I hated Lakers Reloaded more than any of the other Laker teams so 0.52 will always be number one on my list.

cd98
06-19-2009, 05:42 PM
Take solace that 2004 Lakers featured Malone and Payton trying to gravy train the purpule and gold to get their elusive championship. After forming the "all star" team, they get beat by a team of no stars (Detroit Pistons). Not only did the Lakers lose, they completely fell apart with in-house fighting and petty selfishness. Watching them self destruct was almost as good as watching the Spurs repeat. Almost.

CubanSucks
06-19-2009, 06:07 PM
Fisher's .4 sec shot is in a league of its own when it comes to heartbreaks. Mainly because Duncan just hit another miracle shot just before. After that Duncan shot I was already celebrating as if the Spurs had just won the championship only to be ripped apart on the inside. It's kind of embarassing considering it's only a sport but I really can't remember ever feeling so sad and depressed like I was after that game (except for deaths to close ones of coarse)

Thomas82
06-19-2009, 06:08 PM
1. 2006 Western Conference semifinals game 7 against Dallas Mavericks - after we came of 20-point down to lead by 3 with 32 seconds to go we lost because one stupid foul. instead of being one of the sweetest wins it was the hardest loss in Spurs history. if not of this loss we had another title, Phoenix less Stoudemire and Miami were not gonna beat us.

2. 2008 Western Conference finals Game 1 against L.A Lakers - this was the second hardest loss, after we had a 20 point lead in the third we somehow menage to lost this game, if we were to win this game i think the series would have been our. this was our biggest choke!

3. 2004 Western Conference semifinals game 5 against L.A Lakers - the Fisher shot.

+1
Those are my 3 as well.

D-ROB 50
06-19-2009, 06:15 PM
for a regular season game i have to go with t-mac and his 20 3s in 10 seconds to beat us. playoffs the fisher shot killed our threepeat and dirks game 7 and 1 killed another threepeat opp.

Strike
06-19-2009, 06:29 PM
3. Fisher's .4

2. 2006, game 7 vs. Dallas

1. 1993. Barkley's jumper over David Robinson. Still the worst for me.

Spurs Brazil
06-19-2009, 06:31 PM
1 - Game 7 against the Mavs

2 - .4

3 - Game 6 West Finals 95

manustarting2gd
06-19-2009, 07:14 PM
1. The Spurs waltzed past the Denver Nuggets in the first round of the 1990 NBA Playoffs. The Western Conference Semifinal matchup with the Portland Trail Blazers produced a tremendous seven-game series that included two overtime losses for San Antonio: a 138-132 double-overtime defeat in Game 5 and a heartbreaking 108-105 loss in Game 7 that ended San Antonio's season. "ROD STRICKLAND'S ERRAND BEHIND THE HEAD PASS FROM THE 3 PT LINE"

braeden0613
06-19-2009, 07:31 PM
.4 was by far the worst for me...thought about it every day that summer.

urunobili
06-19-2009, 08:03 PM

You nailed it dude... same here...

HarlemHeat37
06-19-2009, 08:44 PM
game 7 vs. Dallas was by far the worst, especially when you consider how it ended..Fisher's shot was heartbreaking, but at least he made that..Ginobili didn't have to foul, so that was the worst part..it really shouldn't have came down to overtime..

baseline bum
06-19-2009, 08:57 PM
1 - Game 1, 1995 WCF
2 - Game 2, 1995 WCF
3 - Game 5, 1995 WCF

CubanSucks
06-19-2009, 09:06 PM
game 7 vs. Dallas was by far the worst, especially when you consider how it ended..Fisher's shot was heartbreaking, but at least he made that..Ginobili didn't have to foul, so that was the worst part..it really shouldn't have came down to overtime..

Are you people crazy? That's exactly why the Fisher shot was worse. The Ginobili foul only made it go into overtime, the Fisher shot broke our hearts at the END OF THE GAME while our hopes were at there highest cause of Duncan's miracle shot just right before.

Ginobili's foul didn't really lose us that game

lefty
06-19-2009, 09:13 PM
1. Game 7 of the Mavs Series (2006): because unlike 0.4, we could actually control the final seconds. Right, Manu ?

2. 0.4

3. Game 1 of the 2008 WCF

4. 1995 WCF, game 1; damn you Horry, you had a shitty night, but you had to make that shot; but San Antonio forgives you.

Oh you said top 3? :lol

tmtcsc
06-19-2009, 10:14 PM
Hardest losses ?

1.When we lost to the Lakers back in 1983. A-Train couldn't get the follow up attempt to fall when he was right next to the basket. It hurt more because I was just a kid.

2. Game 7 loss to Portland in the Semi Finals when DRob was a rookie. That was a special year.

3. Losing to Houston in Game 2 in 1995. That one put us down 2-0 in David's MVP year. We had HIGH hopes that season. We went on to win the next 2 on the road which was unreal and then promptly lost game 5 at home.

The loss to the Mavs was deserved. You don't lose game 7 at home no matter what the circumstances. We dug ourselves a hole and spent the rest of the game catching up. The same with the .4 game. We played like crap at HOME after losing twice on the road in LA. We didn't deserve to win.

SenorSpur
06-19-2009, 10:25 PM

Same here. Not necessarily in that order, thoiugh.

1. 2006 WCSF (Why Manu why?)

2. 2004 WCSF (Damn Fisher)

3. 2008 WCF versus damn Fakers. (FTL)

daslicer
06-19-2009, 10:30 PM
I would say the .4 moment and that bs no call ironically Dfish got away with last year against Brent Barry in game 4. Both were not legit in my mind espescially .4 but I'm not going to debate that issue its already been overdone. Both moments showed me how even sports unfortunately can be filled with corruption just like the real world. Its because those moments I"m not nearly as passionate as I once was about the game. Its also why losses don't sting anymore for me much like wins don't get me too excited either.

meestahmeestah
06-19-2009, 10:38 PM
Hardest losses ?

1.When we lost to the Lakers back in 1983. A-Train couldn't get the follow up attempt to fall when he was right next to the basket. It hurt more because I was just a kid.

#1 for me too. Eight year olds just don't ever come back from that kind of pain. Any time I see a white dude with an Afro I think of Stan Albeck. And then I think "wow...he drew that play up for Mike Mitchell...."

EVAY
06-19-2009, 10:39 PM
Hardest losses ?

The loss to the Mavs was deserved. You don't lose game 7 at home no matter what the circumstances. .

You do when Steve Javie is officiating, and has been a Dallas fan all his career, and is a 'road team' official under any circumstance. I was at that game, had a sick feeling most of the 4th quarter, was stunned when Manu made the three that put us ahead, and told the folks standing near me who were cheering...'calm down, Javie hasn't finished yet.'

Having said that, Manu shouldn't have fouled, but the Spurs shouldn't have lost their heart in the overtime...that was on the Spurs leadership...or lack thereof.

Udokafan05
06-19-2009, 10:44 PM
Game 7 was very tough. On the drive home "Tonight I Wanna Cry" by Keith Urban came on the radio.

HarlemHeat37
06-19-2009, 11:37 PM
Fisher's definitely wasn't tougher..

again, Fisher made a great shot..so you have to give him credit..it was probably the luckiest shot in NBA history, but he made it..

on the Dirk 3-point play, Manu had NO reason at all to foul..it's just completely different..it wasn't like Dirk made some incredible play, it was a very stupid foul by Manu..I bet he still thinks about it all the time..

jrmp317
06-19-2009, 11:39 PM
3. Fisher's .4

this, plus the fact that I was at that game. Shot closed down the greatest Spurs arena.

timtonymanu
06-20-2009, 12:30 AM
1. WCSF Game 7 vs Mavs... Spurs should have had a 3peat already.
2. 0.4 - hopes dropped after being so high
3. Game 4 WCF 2008 - series should have been tied. Damn you Crawford!

ehz33satx
06-20-2009, 02:05 AM
The loss of my father from pancreatic cancer this past March 20, 2009. Basketball is just a game.

CubanSucks
06-20-2009, 02:47 AM
The loss of my father from pancreatic cancer this past March 20, 2009. Basketball is just a game.

If this is just a joke then, haha good one. If this really happened then what was the point in posting it? You know what the fuck we're talking about when we say "hardest losses of our lives"

timtonymanu
06-20-2009, 03:10 AM
If this is just a joke then, haha good one. If this really happened then what was the point in posting it? You know what the fuck we're talking about when we say "hardest losses of our lives"

dude fuck you. you dont have to be such a dick.

timtonymanu
06-20-2009, 03:11 AM

im so sorry for your loss. i nearly lost my father to prostate cancer just this year but he got the surgery and survived. it happened around the time manu was out for the year and i honestly didnt care about basketball at that point. i just wanted my dad to be ok. again im so sorry.

Fernando TD21
06-20-2009, 03:18 AM
Are you people crazy? That's exactly why the Fisher shot was worse. The Ginobili foul only made it go into overtime, the Fisher shot broke our hearts at the END OF THE GAME while our hopes were at there highest cause of Duncan's miracle shot just right before.

Ginobili's foul didn't really lose us that game
Agreed.

1 - 0.4, the Fisher shot :depressed
2 - game 7 against the Mavs

The good thing is that neither the Lakers or the Mavs won the title after they beat the Spurs.

JustinJDW
06-20-2009, 03:26 AM
1. Fisher's 0.4 shot.
2. Manu's Game 7 Foul

Both those plays kept us from 2-Peats. That's what really upsets me. Our Spurs Dynasty always gets criticized because we never 2-Peated. And it's not like because we get fairly beaten man to man. It's because of two very simple and avoidable plays. We can't just be beaten. We have to be very close, just to loose because of one play.

Anyway, Fisher's 0.4 shot was worse in my opinion. I was only 11 years old during that play, so I was a little heartbroken kid when that happened. I cried all night. Manu's fould happened in 2006, and I wasn't watching much basketball then. Fisher's 0.4 shot will always make me cringe whenever I remember it.

Damn Fisher. Lucky ass mother fucker. I still think he got it off late.

ehz33satx
06-20-2009, 12:09 PM

Well, it was the hardest loss of my life. And why would I joke about the loss of my father?

CubanSucks
06-20-2009, 12:46 PM
Well, it was the hardest loss of my life. And why would I joke about the loss of my father?

I wasn't saying you were joking about your father's death, but I was questioning whether it actually happened or not considering it was REALLY a Debbie Downer thing to say in this forum when you know no one would compare a death of a close one to a team's loss. Just wondering why you would bring up such a personal thing in a forum that's obviously about less serious situations.

vander
06-20-2009, 02:40 PM
yeah, "The Foul" and .4 are probably 2 of most peoples 3

my third was some game against Utah pre-Duncan, but I don't even remember what year it was anymore. Stockton killed us, god I hated him so, and I think Hornacek hit a clutch 3, that's about all i can remember anymore.

meestahmeestah
06-20-2009, 03:43 PM
yeah, "The Foul" and .4 are probably 2 of most peoples 3

my third was some game against Utah pre-Duncan, but I don't even remember what year it was anymore. Stockton killed us, god I hated him so, and I think Hornacek hit a clutch 3, that's about all i can remember anymore.

was that the year/game Karl Malone elbowed D-Rob in the throat?

rascal
06-20-2009, 03:51 PM
The 1979 loss to the Bullets in game 7 after having a 3-1 lead in the series.
One win away from appearing in the finals. That team had a shot to be the first Spur championship team.

WayOutWest
06-20-2009, 04:21 PM
Watching them self destruct was almost as good as watching the Spurs repeat. Almost.

How would you know how sweet a Spurs repeat feels like?

galvatron3000
06-20-2009, 05:42 PM

Biggems
06-20-2009, 07:35 PM
i guess none of us were old enough to remember the Spurs/Bullets series back in the late 70s

my2sons
06-20-2009, 10:18 PM
One win away from appearing in the finals. That team had a shot to be the first Spur championship team.

I agree, I was just 13 at the time. I was so crushed with that loss, officiating was the biggest concern then, conspiracy talk even. Almost 30yrs later the nba's biggest problem...officiating

KSeal
06-20-2009, 10:31 PM
How would you know how sweet a Spurs repeat feels like?

He's probably like a Mavs fan, blaming some call or fluke shot and claiming his team champion of a year they weren't a champion.

lefty
06-20-2009, 11:58 PM

So sorry to hear that; may he rest in peace

Thank you for putting things in perspective

mojorizen7
06-21-2009, 04:54 AM
1) John Fucking Paxson
2) Mario Fucking Elie
3) Pick a SPUR for three
http://phoenix.fanster.com/suns/files/2009/05/john_paxson.jpg
W I D E fucking O P E N is the culture here.

Horse
06-21-2009, 10:14 AM
3. Fisher's .4

Man the barkley one hurt, and he goaltended through the rim that game and got away with it. I also remember very sad loses to the damn jazz.

RodNIc91
06-21-2009, 01:42 PM
Ive only been a Spurs Fan for 3 or so years so I can only remember two crushing moments:

1. 2008 WCF Game 5 against the lakers. I was so crushed because we were winning by 17 points and at the end we ran out of gas like every other game of that series. I trully saw us repeating that year.

2. 2006 WCSF Game 7 against dallas. Just how dishearting was that foul.

LongtimeSpursFan
06-21-2009, 06:51 PM

1. Yeah I can still remember watching that series and thinking we were going to the Finals. Tough to swallow after being up 3 - 1.

2. The 1995 team that lost to Houston Rockets was also tough series. I believe we had the best record that year and Robinson was playing out of his mind. Someone had even done a remake of a popular song that year but changed the lyrics for the Spurs team. But Hakeem really put a number on us, as well as the other Rockets, and we lost to them. I was really depressed for more that a week.

3. Derek Fisher's shot with .4. Even though that didnt end the series we just never seemed to recover after that.

poop
06-21-2009, 09:25 PM
1. the 2006 WCSF by faaaaaar. the spurs played so well and that was a damn good team that should have been the 2nd of a 3-peat but the refs/league literally screwed us. it was more painful than .04 because there wasnt a damn thing we could do about it, we had a great team that played with heart but it was simply decided that the spurs were not to move on. tragically screwed.

2. .04 for obvious reasons

3. the '09 Pop/FO meltdown/disaster. the decisions to bench Hill and bowen, and to waive POPS and Malik in favor of keeping and giving enormous minutes to bonner, JV and finley, essentially deciding to eliminate all our youth and defense in favor of once again putting all our hopes in absolutely impotent, slow, flatfooted proven scrubs, which predictably led to a humiliating-and completely unneccessary- first round loss.

Spurtacus
06-21-2009, 09:40 PM

Those would be my three except I would have the Fisher shot at #1.

Sean Cagney
06-22-2009, 02:03 AM
1 - Game 1, 1995 WCF
2 - Game 2, 1995 WCF
3 - Game 5, 1995 WCF

Those bleed to this day like someone just cut me right now..... I watched that whole series, it hurt and we could have won it and D Rob gets his first title!!!!!!! NOPE.