PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Interested In Securing A Future NBA All-Star Game

duncan228
06-19-2009, 05:44 PM
Spurs interested in securing a future NBA All-Star Game (http://sanantonio.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/stories/2009/06/22/story5.html?ana=e_ph)
San Antonio Business Journal
by W. Scott Bailey

The NBA announced recently that it will take its 2011 All-Star Game to Los Angeles, which last hosted the festivities in 2004. Next February, the Metroplex will host the mega event in the billion-dollar Cowboys Stadium.

San Antonio has hosted the NBA All-Star Game once — in 1996 at the Alamodome. And now Rick Pych, president of business operations for Spurs Sports & Entertainment (http://www.bizjournals.com/gen/company.html?gcode=40993322345740CB8D5118341C54646 D&market=sanantonio), says the franchise is interested in bringing the sport’s marquee players back to the Alamo City.

Houston hosted the 2006 NBA All-Star Game. It also hosted the event in 1989.

The 2010 NBA All-Star Game will be played at Cowboys Stadium, an 80,000-seat, retractable-roof venue located in Arlington. Some of the related events, including the Rookie Challenge, will be staged in Dallas — which hosted the 1986 NBA All-Star Game.

lefty
06-19-2009, 05:55 PM
Man, that ASG would be old, dirty and boring

Stern will make sure it won't happen :D

bigdog
06-19-2009, 11:44 PM
Idiots should have thought about it when the AT&T Center first opened. Now other teams are building new arenas and getting the ASG, and LA is getting it, well, because they're LA. Hell, the Cowboys Stadium is getting it and they don't even host an NBA team at that stadium.

I highly doubt they would bring it back to SA, but that's just me. I'd love to see it here though.

EricB
06-20-2009, 12:46 AM
Don't have the "stadium" for it.

LA gets away with it cause its LA.

ploto
06-20-2009, 01:00 AM
I bet SA gets it in 2012 or 2013. I don't think the All Star games ever draw above 19,000.

Rodeo

Mel_13
06-20-2009, 01:02 AM
I bet SA gets it in 2012 or 2013. I don't think the All Star games ever draw above 19,000.

I don't think its so much the capacity of the arena, but its location. Judging by Stern's remarks after LA was awarded the 2011 game, the proximity to hotels and a convention center are factors. The scenic drive from downtown to the AT&T won't help SA's chances.

“We’re likely to shorten the rotation a bit because it’s getting more difficult to find cities with the kinds of amenities, close hotel accommodations, the convention center and the like, and LA has been a popular destination,” he said.

The commissioner said Orlando and its yet unfinished new arena is a candidate to again host All-Star weekend “in the very near future.”

This year’s event was in Phoenix and next year it will be in Dallas. Warm weather climates in major tourist destinations appeal to the NBA’s owners and international broadcasters, Stern said

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-nbaall-stargame&prov=ap&type=lgns

Mel_13
06-20-2009, 01:20 AM
San Antonio does have a huge building in the middle of downtown where we used to play. now it is basically a huge vacant building.

Not sure where you're going with this. Are you suggesting a future San Antonio All-Star Game at the dome?

timvp
06-20-2009, 01:21 AM
I wonder if the Spurs are trying to get it for the AT&T Center or the Alamodome. The Alamodome might actually be better, especially considering what Mel_13 just posted. A couple million in renovations and the Alamodome may be suitable enough for an All-Star game.

The Alamodome has gotten good reviews for Final Fours ... and the All-Star game is a similar atmosphere and the requirements are similar.

Buddy Holly
06-20-2009, 02:45 AM
I don't think its so much the capacity of the arena, but its location. Judging by Stern's remarks after LA was awarded the 2011 game, the proximity to hotels and a convention center are factors. The scenic drive from downtown to the AT&T won't help SA's chances.

The Cowboys Stadium is out in the middle of anywhere USA suburbia and there aren't even nearly enough hotel rooms nearby to host a small convention. It would literally be like having the ASG at The Rim.

Also, the drive to the AT&T center may not be scenic but it's quick and easily accessible via the bus or trolley.

[I]“We’re likely to shorten the rotation a bit because it’s getting more difficult to find cities with the kinds of amenities, close hotel accommodations, the convention center and the like, and LA has been a popular destination,” he said.

Again, the Cowboys stadium is nowhere near any complex of hotels nor is it anywhere near a large convention center.

Buddy Holly
06-20-2009, 02:56 AM
Don't have the "stadium" for it.

Could you elaborate? We don't have the stadium or arena? Why wouldn't we have the proper facility?

LA gets away with it cause its LA.

Gets away with what?

werewolf
06-20-2009, 03:11 AM
Why doesn't San Antonio have an NFL team? Someone said because of the Cowboys? What does that mean? If California, New York and Florida can have 3 NFL teams, why not Texas? After all, it is the second most populated state in the US. I would love for San Antonio to have an NFL team.

Mel_13
06-20-2009, 03:19 AM
The Cowboys Stadium is out in the middle of anywhere USA suburbia and there aren't even nearly enough hotel rooms nearby to host a small convention. It would literally be like having the ASG at The Rim.

Also, the drive to the AT&T center may not be scenic but it's quick and easily accessible via the bus or trolley.

Again, the Cowboys stadium is nowhere near any complex of hotels nor is it anywhere near a large convention center.

I'd love to see the game in SA. I have season tickets so I should be able to attend some of the events. But with Jerryworld in the Metroplex and the Reliant Complex in Houston, San Antonio is the third most likely destination in Texas to get an NBA All-Star Game or an NCAA Final Four. Forget about a Super Bowl.

I'm sure Stern's definition of 'close' is flexible and is influenced greatly by the amount of money he can generate in a given location. Jerry's Stadium was built to generate cash and the NBA, NFL, and NCAA all booked their premier annual events there before construction was even complete.

It is what it is. San Antonio with the Alamodome (or the AT&T plus the Convention Center) can no longer expect to outbid Houston and the Metroplex for the very biggest sporting events.

ploto
06-20-2009, 08:30 AM
Houston is a great location for the ASG with the hotels and convention center right there by the Toyota Center. We are talking across the street kind of access. The Americas has a bridge to the Convention Center on one side and on the adjacent side a bridge to the garage that you exit and literally cross 4 lanes to the Toyota Center. It is closer than VIP parking.

exstatic
06-20-2009, 09:35 AM
"Shorten the rotation" means that the ASG in the future will be in cities of players the NBA wants to pimp, but usually can't because they don't advance far enough in the playoffs. San Antonio won't see another ASG, at least not until the current team disbands and rebuilds, putting a bunch of guys playing rec ball on the floor to please the league and the networks.

lurker23
06-20-2009, 09:37 AM
I hate to say it, but even Salt Lake City is better set up for an All-Star game than San Antonio, when considering proximity of hotels, shopping, etc.. That said, I think the probability of getting an All-Star game is about the same for both cities: close to zero.

Actually, I'd rate it about this:

Odds of hosting an NBA All-Star game:

AT&T Center: 1%
Energy Solutions Arena: 2%
Alamodome: 4%

spurs50_
06-20-2009, 01:09 PM
damn, i thought it read future all-star player....

Ditty
06-20-2009, 01:13 PM
they should move the gay ass stock show to the alamodome then if they want to host a ASG

exstatic
06-20-2009, 01:39 PM
they should move the gay ass stock show to the alamodome then if they want to host a ASG

That "gay ass stock show" is one of the only reasons the community arena initiative passed. There was massive support from the Rodeo and Stock show and it's backers, provided that they get exclusive use for a couple of weeks a year. It's going nowhere. If the Spurs want an ASG, it'll have to be in a spiffed up A-Dome.

Buddy Holly
06-20-2009, 10:47 PM
I'd love to see the game in SA. I have season tickets so I should be able to attend some of the events. But with Jerryworld in the Metroplex and the Reliant Complex in Houston, San Antonio is the third most likely destination in Texas to get an NBA All-Star Game or an NCAA Final Four.

What? The NBA is using the Cowboys stadium because that's the only way Cuban would have allowed the Mavs to host the game. It has nothing to do with the NBA wanting to have their All-Star game in huge stadiums. It's a terrible way to watch a game. As for Houston, what does their stadium have to do with anything? They just hosted a couple of years back, in their arena.

Forget about a Super Bowl.

Yeah because we don't have a team. Only NFL cities can host a Superbowl. :bang

It is what it is. San Antonio with the Alamodome (or the AT&T plus the Convention Center) can no longer expect to outbid Houston and the Metroplex for the very biggest sporting events.

Yes they can. Well, not when pitting stadiums but only so few events require stadiums. The ASG not being one of those.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-20-2009, 10:59 PM
Spurs vouching for an all star game when we will be pretty irrelevant in the nba scene
l o l o l

Mel_13
06-20-2009, 11:34 PM
What? The NBA is using the Cowboys stadium because that's the only way Cuban would have allowed the Mavs to host the game. It has nothing to do with the NBA wanting to have their All-Star game in huge stadiums. It's a terrible way to watch a game. As for Houston, what does their stadium have to do with anything? They just hosted a couple of years back, in their arena.

Yes they can. Well, not when pitting stadiums but only so few events require stadiums. The ASG not being one of those.

Believe what you like. The NFL verdict on San Antonio has long been in. The NBA has now made its preferences known. The NCAA, after bringing the Men's Final Four to San Antonio three times between 1998 and 2008, has announced that they will come to Texas three times between 2009 and 2016, twice in Houston and once up North.

The only way San Antonio gets one of the elite national sporting events in its existing facilities is for the Spurs to play their way to the NBA Finals. Beyond that, we'll have to be content with events on a slightly lower level like NCAA Men's Regionals and NCAA Women's Final Fours.

Buddy Holly
06-21-2009, 05:33 AM
Believe what you like. The NFL verdict on San Antonio has long been in. The NBA has now made its preferences known. The NCAA, after bringing the Men's Final Four to San Antonio three times between 1998 and 2008, has announced that they will come to Texas three times between 2009 and 2016, twice in Houston and once up North.

My entire argument is about the NBA not the NFL or NCAA so why that keeps being brought up is ignorant to me.

The NBA doesn't require large stadiums as a qualitifer for hosting an NBA All-Star game. That is my point. Dallas using a stadium is only happening because the Mavs wanted it there.

The only way San Antonio gets one of the elite national sporting events in its existing facilities is for the Spurs to play their way to the NBA Finals.

Wait first off, your theory is in order for SA to host either a superbowl (which it never will be able to because it doesn't have an NFL team), final four or all star game the Spurs must reach the finals?

http://collegejolt.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/dude-wtf.jpg

Ok, second, there is nothing wrong with the 7 year old at&t center that would keep the Spurs from hosting a ASG aside from any scheduling conflict with the rodeo.

Beyond that, we'll have to be content with events on a slightly lower level like NCAA Men's Regionals and NCAA Women's Final Fours.

Until the Spurs make the finals, right? wow...

ploto
06-21-2009, 08:12 AM
Another thing Spurs fans may not realize is even if we are only looking at basketball arenas, the ATT is the third best one in TX. If you have been to AAC or Toyota you know what I mean. Add on to that the fact they are both situated in better areas, and SA is third in Texas, and it's not even close.

bigdog
06-21-2009, 08:45 AM
Another thing Spurs fans may not realize is even if we are only looking at basketball arenas, the ATT is the third best one in TX. If you have been to AAC or Toyota you know what I mean. Add on to that the fact they are both situated in better areas, and SA is third in Texas, and it's not even close.

Yes, but Houston has hosted an All-Star game in recent years, so I think if Stern would host a game in Texas, it would be between Dallas and SA, not Houston. Either way, I think it's a longshot.

Nathan Explosion
06-21-2009, 11:39 AM

The only way San Antonio gets one of the elite national sporting events in its existing facilities is for the Spurs to play their way to the NBA Finals. Beyond that, we'll have to be content with events on a slightly lower level like NCAA Men's Regionals and NCAA Women's Final Fours.

I don't necessarily think that's true. The NCAA got it's eyes blinded by the shine coming off the new stadiums that are Reliant and Jerry World. They'll realize that while the Alamodome isn't close to being the stadium that Reliant and Cowboys Stadium are, it had one thing that others can't match....location.

Reliant is in South Houston if I'm not mistaken, not near the downtown area. And Jerry World is in freaking Arlington, which is nowhere near downtown Dallas.

If you've ever been to the Riverwalk and downtown area during the NCAA tournament or the Alamo Bowl, it's full of tourists from the schools walking from their hotels, to the Riverwalk, then walking to the Alamo, walk to Rivercenter mall to spend some money, and finally, walk to the Alamodome.

The key is, they can walk, which makes it much more appealing. And plenty of fans love the ability to walk everywhere without so much of a hassle.

Sometimes, it takes doing something different to realize the same old, same old was a really good thing.

Nathan Explosion
06-21-2009, 11:40 AM
Oh yeah, forgot to mention that the Alamodome is going to be the host for UTSA football, so it won't be unused for too long.

meestahmeestah
06-21-2009, 12:23 PM

dude, you keep saying that, but it's not true. Why else would LA and London be rumored to be hosting future Super Bowls?

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/02/la-could-host-super-bowl-in-16-tampa-in-14/

Sure, the recent trend for Super Bowl sites has been to reward teams for building new stadiums (Houston, Detroit, Indianapolis) or the ol' standby sites like Miami, but there's no hardtack rule saying the Super Bowl can't be played in a non-NFL city. One could argue that NFL football hasn't been played in Detroit in 10+ years.:D

Mel_13
06-21-2009, 12:40 PM
My entire argument is about the NBA not the NFL or NCAA so why that keeps being brought up is ignorant to me.

The NBA doesn't require large stadiums as a qualitifer for hosting an NBA All-Star game. That is my point. Dallas using a stadium is only happening because the Mavs wanted it there.

Wait first off, your theory is in order for SA to host either a superbowl (which it never will be able to because it doesn't have an NFL team), final four or all star game the Spurs must reach the finals?

Ok, second, there is nothing wrong with the 7 year old at&t center that would keep the Spurs from hosting a ASG aside from any scheduling conflict with the rodeo.

Until the Spurs make the finals, right? wow...

Why resort to insults and large, childish 'wtf' graphics? Incapable of making your point without them? Couldn't just quote the entire post and respond in words? I especially like the parts where you completely miss my point and conclude by restating what I said.

While you may not see that the All-Star game situation has parallels in San Antonio's failure to bring an NFL franchise here or in falling out of the rotation for the Final Four, others can.

I will make my point as simple as possible for you to understand.

San Antonio CAN successfully serve as host to a future All-Star game. That is obvious since a successful All-Star game has been held in the dome and three NBA Finals have successfully been held in the AT&T Center.

The question here is WILL San Antonio be chosen as the host city for a future All-Star Game? The answer to that question, based on everything the NBA has recently said in word or actions, is NO. Whether the NBA is looking to hold its flagship event in a football stadium or a basketball arena, San Antonio comes in third best in Texas.

Nathan Explosion
06-21-2009, 12:41 PM
I believe that the Rose Bowl is a good location for the Super Bowl and when was the last time LA had an NFL team?

Buddy Holly
06-21-2009, 05:33 PM
dude, you keep saying that, but it's not true. Why else would LA and London be rumored to be hosting future Super Bowls?

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/02/la-could-host-super-bowl-in-16-tampa-in-14/

That article makes no mention of London?

And how in the hell can you say it's not true when LA hasn't hosted a Superbowl since 1993. You know just before their two NFL teams left town. They were good enough to host 7 superbowls up until then just by coincidence? And them getting it on the 50th year of the Superbowl would allow for an exception to the rule.

Sure, the recent trend for Super Bowl sites has been to reward teams for building new stadiums (Houston, Detroit, Indianapolis) or the ol' standby sites like Miami, but there's no hardtack rule saying the Super Bowl can't be played in a non-NFL city. One could argue that NFL football hasn't been played in Detroit in 10+ years.:D

I'm not too sure on the rules but seeing as how in almost 50 years not one city selected to host a Superbowl hasn't has an NFL team, I'm looking for reasons to dismiss the claim that they award non-NFL cities the Superbowl. Could it happen one day sure, will it, maybe. Will it become a normal thing, probably not.

Buddy Holly
06-21-2009, 05:44 PM
Why resort to insults

Highlight the insults please. :lol

and large, childish 'wtf' graphics?

Because it was that big of a WTF.

Incapable of making your point without them?

One picture interpreting how big of a WTF comment that was riddles me incapable of making my point which is what the other 99% of that post was. :bang

Couldn't just quote the entire post and respond in words? I especially like the parts where you completely miss my point and conclude by restating what I said.

What did I miss? What was the subtext?

While you may not see that the All-Star game situation has parallels in San Antonio's failure to bring an NFL franchise here or in falling out of the rotation for the Final Four, others can.

There are known. The All-Star game is a touch cookie to get. An NFL franchise is a harder cookie to get. The Final Four well, they loved us enogh to come here 4 times. If we've gone the way of the dinosaur because of the Alamodome, so be it. They're loss.

San Antonio CAN successfully serve as host to a future All-Star game. That is obvious since a successful All-Star game has been held in the dome and three NBA Finals have successfully been held in the AT&T Center.

The question here is WILL San Antonio be chosen as the host city for a future All-Star Game? The answer to that question, based on everything the NBA has recently said in word or actions, is NO. Whether the NBA is looking to hold its flagship event in a football stadium or a basketball arena, San Antonio comes in third best in Texas.

What words ot actions has the NBA said or done that compels you to say SA isn't getting an ASG? That's the real question that needs answering.

It's fine and dandy to think your opinion is fact or more of a real answer than someone's elses opinion, that's great. :rolleyes But none of what you have said is fact, just opinion driven. What actions? What words? Instead of being vague with everything, spell it out. This is the first time since the new arena opened that the Spurs are bidding for the ASG so we'll see if they get it.

Mel_13
06-21-2009, 09:29 PM
Highlight the insults please. :lol

Because it was that big of a WTF.

One picture interpreting how big of a WTF comment that was riddles me incapable of making my point which is what the other 99% of that post was. :bang

What did I miss? What was the subtext?

There are known. The All-Star game is a touch cookie to get. An NFL franchise is a harder cookie to get. The Final Four well, they loved us enogh to come here 4 times. If we've gone the way of the dinosaur because of the Alamodome, so be it. They're loss.

What words ot actions has the NBA said or done that compels you to say SA isn't getting an ASG? That's the real question that needs answering.

It's fine and dandy to think your opinion is fact or more of a real answer than someone's elses opinion, that's great. :rolleyes But none of what you have said is fact, just opinion driven. What actions? What words? Instead of being vague with everything, spell it out. This is the first time since the new arena opened that the Spurs are bidding for the ASG so we'll see if they get it.

As I said before, believe what you like. I don't have the inclination to break down your post line by line, but I will say a few things.

Referring to the views of another poster as ignorant meets my definition of insulting, perhaps it doesn't meet yours.

The whole 'wtf' deal is a result of your not understanding the last two lines in post 25. Your incessant need to chop these posts into small parts and answer each one may account for this. Read them again and then read your response to them. Hint: I was not proposing that the Spurs reaching the Finals again was a prerequisite to San Antonio gaining the All-Star Game or any other major event.

As to the recent words and actions of the NBA, I posted a link earlier in the thread.

And, of course, my view on San Antonio's chances of hosting a future All-Star Game are exactly that, my view. Just as you have your view.

Buddy Holly
06-21-2009, 11:33 PM
Referring to the views of another poster as ignorant meets my definition of insulting, perhaps it doesn't meet yours.

I was talking about myself, I am ignorant to why the NFL and Final Four/NCAA keep being brought up. Though I went back and re-read it and it doesn't read well. It could be interpreted as me calling someone ignorant though calling someone ignorant for being up the NFL and NCAA doesn't make sense.

The whole 'wtf' deal is a result of your not understanding the last two lines in post 25.

This is what you posted:

The only way San Antonio gets one of the elite national sporting events in its existing facilities is for the Spurs to play their way to the NBA Finals.

I'm not sure what the subtext is, I don't know what I didn't "understand."

Your incessant need to chop these posts into small parts and answer each one may account for this. Read them again and then read your response to them. Hint: I was not proposing that the Spurs reaching the Finals again was a prerequisite to San Antonio gaining the All-Star Game or any other major event.

Again, explain this in a better way.

Because that's what you're saying. If you meant something else, say it. And please stop whining about the way I reply. If reading all the breakdowns is too much for you I'm sorry.

As to the recent words and actions of the NBA, I posted a link earlier in the thread.

Stern saying he wants venues near hotels and convention centers? Doesn't giving Dallas the ASG just completely contradict that?

And, of course, my view on San Antonio's chances of hosting a future All-Star Game are exactly that, my view. Just as you have your view.

Yes, true. Except your views are based on inaccuracies, flawed theories and personal beliefs.

Mel_13
06-22-2009, 06:16 AM
Because that's what you're saying.

Yes, true. Except your views are based on inaccuracies, flawed theories and personal beliefs.

The NBA Finals is the elite event. An event that will be earned by the team's play, not awarded by decision of an outside corporate entity. If you can't understand that, then I'm sorry.

And your last line sums you up best. I'm not deconstructing a different POV to attempt to prove that my version is better. That's you. As if your POV is based completely on indisputable facts and is free of personal beliefs. Please.

guzmangm
06-22-2009, 08:26 AM
I'd rather be in SA to attend an all star game anyday over Dallas or Houston... Why, because as posters have said, it's easy and convenient (Alamodome). You got Riverwalk, countless historic sites, museums, culture, restaurants, hotels, bars, shops, etc, etc... In Arlington and Houston you got Supertarget, Bed Bath and Beyond and Best Buy next door, the usual run of the mill surburban stuff. The riverwalk is the number one tourist attraction for Texans and the outlet mall in San Marcos is number two. I believe San Antonio (alamo, riverwalk) is in top two with South Padre Island for Americans when visiting Texas. I don't think it's impossible for SA to get another All Star game. :flag:

Stump
06-22-2009, 08:53 AM
I'm not sure how relevant this is to the decision making process of where the All-Star game will be hosted, but it seems like lately there has been a Western Conference dominance (NO,PHX,DAL,LA). I'd think some of the eastern teams would have a leg up in the discussions for the next couple of years.

Libri
06-22-2009, 12:15 PM
San Antonio is a huge Cowboys fanbase. Jerry Jones wouldn't want to have a chance of losing an entire city of fans, and the NFL doesn't want to take a chance of having low support in a poor stadium. The Alamodome does not have luxury boxes and needs major work to bring it up to current standards.

That among several other reasons lead to no NFL team for San Antonio.

Also, because San Antonio has missed out on some opportunities. Red McCombs said in an interview that there were a couple of close opportunities that no one knows about. Red said that the first close call came when a team was considering relocating to San Antonio but decided at the last minute to move to another city.

The other close opportunity came when Red became aware that a NFL team wanted and had decided to move. It was a short window of opportunity and Red knew that he had to work on it fast. Red went to newly elected Mayor Ed Garza and told him that there was a chance of getting an NFL team and asked him for support. Ed Garza flat out refused to support the idea of getting an NFL team. Unfortunately, that short window of opportunity of two weeks closed and the NFL team stayed. Red was confident that they could have had a shot at that team if he had the necessary support. Red doesn't name the NFL team but we can speculate about it. It was during the time of Mayor Ed Garza.

METALMiKE
06-22-2009, 02:43 PM
Also, because San Antonio has missed out on some opportunities. Red McCombs said in an interview that there were a couple of close opportunities that no one knows about. Red said that the first close call came when a team was considering relocating to San Antonio but decided at the last minute to move to another city.

The other close opportunity came when Red became aware that a NFL team wanted and had decided to move. It was a short window of opportunity and Red knew that he had to work on it fast. Red went to newly elected Mayor Ed Garza and told him that there was a chance of getting an NFL team and asked him for support. Ed Garza flat out refused to support the idea of getting an NFL team. Unfortunately, that short window of opportunity of two weeks closed and the NFL team stayed. Red was confident that they could have had a shot at that team if he had the necessary support. Red doesn't name the NFL team but we can speculate about it. It was during the time of Mayor Ed Garza.

I'm guessing the Texans. :madrun

Buddy Holly
06-22-2009, 07:57 PM
The NBA Finals is the elite event. An event that will be earned by the team's play, not awarded by decision of an outside corporate entity. If you can't understand that, then I'm sorry.

It makes no goddamn sense that in order to secure a ASG the Spurs have to make the finals. None.

Drinking cat piss instead of coffee to get a morning jolt makes more sense than your theory.

The Suns haven't been in the finals since 1993. They hosted this past season.

The Rockets haven't been to the finals since 1995 and they hosted the ASG in 2006.

The Hornets have never been to the Finals but they hosted in 2008.

The Hawks hosted in 2003.

The Spurs had never been to the Finals at the time they hosted the ASG in 1996.

So please, explain in a comprehensive way how the hell making the finals would be required in order to secure a ASG.

And your last line sums you up best. I'm not deconstructing a different POV to attempt to prove that my version is better. That's you. As if your POV is based completely on indisputable facts and is free of personal beliefs. Please.

Everything I've used in constructing my argument IS factual.

Your "Spurs need to go to the finals to get an ASG" hypothesis isn't.

Mel_13
06-22-2009, 08:16 PM
It makes no goddamn sense that in order to secure a ASG the Spurs have to make the finals. None.

Drinking cat piss instead of coffee to get a morning jolt makes more sense than your theory.

The Suns haven't been in the finals since 1993. They hosted this past season.

The Rockets haven't been to the finals since 1995 and they hosted the ASG in 2006.

The Hornets have never been to the Finals but they hosted in 2008.

The Hawks hosted in 2003.

The Spurs had never been to the Finals at the time they hosted the ASG in 1996.

So please, explain in a comprehensive way how the hell making the finals would be required in order to secure a ASG.

Everything I've used in constructing my argument IS factual.

Your "Spurs need to go to the finals to get an ASG" hypothesis isn't.

As I have told you in a previous post, I am not saying the Spurs have to host another finals as a prerequisite to being awarded an All-Star Game.

I am saying that the only elite event that San Antonio will see in the future will be a NBA Finals that the team earns through its play.

An All-Star Game that must be awarded by an outside corporate entity is not in the cards. (Just to be sure you understand, the Spurs chances of gaining a future All-Star Game are not tied in any way to the future playoff success of the Spurs team)

I'm not sure it can be stated more simply.

You have been constructing arguments based on your misunderstanding of what I wrote.

I will assume that you can now understand this. I will be interested to see if you are willing to withdraw some of the more colorful comments you have made as a result of this misunderstanding.

Mel_13
03-10-2011, 03:51 PM
I know I never argued with you over this because never have the Spurs made their intentions known i don't believe.

:wakeup

John Basedow
03-10-2011, 03:52 PM
crofl....well done, Mel

Buddy Holly
03-10-2011, 03:54 PM
:wakeup

Wow, I don't remember this but now it's coming back.

Good job. :toast

Though your points are still weak.

Mel_13
03-10-2011, 04:00 PM
Wow, I don't remember this but now it's coming back.

Good job. :toast

Though your points are still weak.

I said that San Antonio wouldn't get the 2012 or 2013 All-Star Game for the reasons cited in this thread. Seems like my points have been proven valid by the actual events since 2009.

Those same points have been made in the new thread and will be proved equally valid if we revisit this subject two or three years hence.

Buddy Holly
03-10-2011, 04:05 PM
I said that San Antonio wouldn't get the 2012 or 2013 All-Star Game for the reasons cited in this thread. Seems like my points have been proven valid by the actual events since 2009.

2013 has not been awarded. Do we even know if the Spurs placed a bid? Even if they did for the 2012 ASG, there going up against a lot of other cities, so not getting it doesn't mean anything other than another city won it not that the NBA doesn't see SA as a potential host.

Hell, there was a 24 year gap between Dallas hosting.

A 21 year gap for Houston.

A 24 year gap for Atlanta.

So on and so fourth.

Those same points have been made in the new thread and will be proved equally valid if we revisit this subject two or three years hence.

In your mind they may be validated but there's no proof now that they are.

Mel_13
03-10-2011, 04:07 PM
In your mind they may be validated but there's no proof now that they are.

The 2012 game will be in Orlando.

lol denial

Buddy Holly
03-10-2011, 04:12 PM
Question? Did the Spurs place a bid?

Question? Are the Spurs supposed to win a bid automatically because they're the Spurs?

FYI, just like the NFL likes to hand out Superbowls to new stadium cities, even cold weather cities, the NBA likes to award new arena cities with the ASG. No different.

I wouldn't be shocked if OKC gets 2013.

Bottom-line, since this thread til today, your argument has never been validated. You believing they have is delusional. No offense.

With that, I'm ending exiting this conversation. You have a good one.

Mel_13
03-10-2011, 04:19 PM
You believing they have is delusional. No offense.

You're the one who is delusional. No offense.

Any bid that San Antonio submits for an NBA All-Star game starts with these two points:

1. Our first class NBA arena is unavailable for All-Star weekend due to prior commitments.

2. We'll be holding the game in our outdated, domed football stadium.

It's a non-starter. Believing otherwise is the definition of delusional.

Dream on.

slick'81
03-10-2011, 04:36 PM
i was there in 96 but yeah i dont think sa will be hosting an nba asg anytime soon