PDA

View Full Version : Should the Spurs hire this guy as a FT coach?

GSH
06-20-2009, 03:56 AM
How many games have the Spurs lost at the free throw line in the last decade or so? And how many close games would have been easy wins if they had not missed so many from the line? I don't have an exact count, but I would say the number is significant.

So could this old guy teach the Spurs' players to shoot FT's better, if they hired him to? He's a 60 year old gym rat, who just decided to learn how to shoot free throws well. He's made 1000 in a row, and 88 in a row blindfolded! Not to mention the record 209 3-pointers in a row in this video.

Seriously - the guy works the desk at the CalTech gym, and washes 300-400 towels during his 4 hour workdays. It doesn't seem like it would break the bank to bring him in. He says that if he won a $100 Million lottery, he would use it to organize a national free throw contest with prize money, to see how many other people would be interested. I think he'd love to teach somebody else how. And who knows? Maybe he could even get Bonner to make his shots when it counts.

NzYh4CGAbCU

kace
06-20-2009, 05:02 AM
his release is too low. his 3's are too easy to block....... :lol

Chieflion
06-20-2009, 05:10 AM
Oh this guy. I saw the free throw competition between him and Rick Barry on youtube.
He was blindfolded.

wildbill2u
06-20-2009, 07:52 AM
Maybe Shaq should try it blindfolded. He can hardly do worse.

exstatic
06-20-2009, 09:54 AM
We have a FT coach. His name is Chip Engelland.

2004-2005 Spurs team FTs (the last year before Chip)
72%
2008-2009 Spurs team FTs
76%

This complaint is WAY old and outdated. The Spurs have moved from the bottom 2-3 teams of the league to the middle of the pack. They'll never be better than that with the amount of FTs that Tim shoots.

Fabbs
06-20-2009, 09:59 AM
^^ yeah 76% is as good as it can get. Just give up. :rolleyes

Maybe this guy knows stuff that Chip England doesn't. Ya think?

EricB
06-20-2009, 10:20 AM
:lol

Of course anyone pop hires is horrible

Fabbs of course knows WAY WAY more.

Kill yourself.

Fabbs
06-20-2009, 10:42 AM
:lol

Of course anyone pop hires is horrible

Fabbs of course knows WAY WAY more.

Kill yourself.
yes EricPark, start Finley for another two years. :lol:lol

Hey while you are continuing to troll my posts, let me know what you have been up to. Have you gotten any cool jerseys the past couple? Where?

CharlieMac
06-20-2009, 10:50 AM
This old bastard is a bad ass.

GSH
06-20-2009, 10:55 AM
his release is too low. his 3's are too easy to block....... :lol
This complaint is WAY old and outdated... They'll never be better than that with the amount of FTs that Tim shoots.

I agree about the release point on the 3's, but that doesn't matter for free throws. Just ask Rick Barry.

And the complaint may be old, but it is hardly outdated. The objective of the game is to put the little ball through the ring. If your team aspires to be the best, it doesn't make sense to accept mediocrity. And that whole theory that big man can't shoot FT's sort of goes out the window when you see Yao Ming with a career 83% average.

I know Chip Engelland is a very good shooting coach, and you don't have to look beyond Tony Parker to see it. But why should that mean that that another approach wouldn't help with the FT's?