PDA

View Full Version : Wimbledon 2009

sonic21
06-20-2009, 08:17 AM
How about that? Defending champion Nadal pulls out. No Federer-Nadal epic finale again.

A Federer vs Murray finale would be amazing. This country would explode if Murray wins.

Go Tsonga!! :hat

Cant_Be_Faded
06-20-2009, 11:39 PM
Would be super crazy if Nadal ends up crumbling with injuries from here on out. I fucking fell asleep during the last Nadal/Federer supermatch and forgot to record it. I had stayed up for hours waiting then fell asleep during the 2nd set. Fucking sucked. Then Nadal loses in the second freaking round in the French....now this?

Hope he recovers. I want more supermatches.

1Parker1
06-22-2009, 08:38 PM
Nadal is way too talented a player and is a great sportsman off the court as well. It'd be a shame if his career pans out like this with injuries. But luckily he's still pretty young people forget and he's incredibly fit and strong.

It'd be a black spot on Federer's resume I think if Nadal ends up bowing out due to injuries during major slams. Imagine how many more titles Sampras could have won if his biggest adversary was injured during all majors? Federer really needs to show he can beat Nadal in a Finals, both healthy, to truly show he's the GOAT.

Spurtacus
06-22-2009, 08:44 PM
James Blake already out. Roddick is overrated. I miss the days of Agassi and Sampras.

Shame that Nadal is out. I would like to see Federer break Sampras' record by beating Nadal in the final.

Obstructed_View
06-22-2009, 09:36 PM
:lmao James Blake. He was up 5-0 in the tiebreaker and gave up seven straight points to lose the match.

And WTF are there so many female tennis players that can't seem to get a fucking first serve over the net? Someone should tell them that serving is one of the more important parts of tennis.

Spurtacus
06-22-2009, 09:42 PM
:lmao James Blake. He was up 5-0 in the tiebreaker and gave up seven straight points to lose the match.

And WTF are there so many female tennis players that can't seem to get a fucking first serve over the net? Someone should tell them that serving is one of the more important parts of tennis.

More serves = more ass shots.

dbreiden83080
06-22-2009, 09:45 PM
Nadal is way too talented a player and is a great sportsman off the court as well. It'd be a shame if his career pans out like this with injuries. But luckily he's still pretty young people forget and he's incredibly fit and strong.

It'd be a black spot on Federer's resume I think if Nadal ends up bowing out due to injuries during major slams. Imagine how many more titles Sampras could have won if his biggest adversary was injured during all majors? Federer really needs to show he can beat Nadal in a Finals, both healthy, to truly show he's the GOAT.

I don't know Fed beat Nadal two years in a row at the Wimbledon Final. For me the biggest black eye is losing to him at the Aussie Open final. Nadal was beat up going in and Fed choked that one away in 5 sets, he had him and let it go. Nadal is the best clay courter of all time so i don't kill Roger for losing those finals too badly. Certainly though Roger has to know with Nadal out, if he brings his A game he'll regain his Wimbledon crown. And i think the length and overall scope of Roger's career makes him the best ever. I have to put him ahead of Pete because of his clay court prowess. Roger is every bit the grass court player Pete was, i think he is better on Hard courts and we can't even compare the clay court resumes. I think if Pete was in his prime he'd be winning some majors but be the clear number 2 in the world to Roger's 1.

And as for Nadal as great as he has been, i don't see him staying healthy enough to have a big career past maybe a few more years. He has already 6 GS, which is amazing but he just breaks down so much. He what 23 and has been having these knee issues since he was like 19 on and off.. Don't get me wrong, i love the kid but he is really having problems. Tennis is such a physical sport, most great players are done by 30 or 31, some even younger than that. Tennis is really the only sport where you can be that young but be coming to the end of the road. IT doesn't look like Nadal will be this great when he is 27 or 28, i hope so but it's not looking good..

dbreiden83080
06-22-2009, 09:48 PM

9 times out of 10, Blake falls apart when under pressure in big matches, he always has..

Obstructed_View
06-23-2009, 04:32 PM
9 times out of 10, Blake falls apart when under pressure in big matches, he always has..

Yeah, it's too bad. He's a choke artist. He and Andy Roddick are both getting by on talent and have nothing upstairs.

dbreiden83080
06-25-2009, 12:15 AM
Yeah, it's too bad. He's a choke artist. He and Andy Roddick are both getting by on talent and have nothing upstairs.

Roddick might have more than one GS title if not for Fed but he is not only a headcase but incredibly one dimensional. He has had the same game for years. Big Serve and forehand, try to blow you off the court. If he can't get you with his power he can't beat you. He's never developed much of a backhand, doesn't change speeds well, and has little to no net game. How the hell does a guy that serves that hard, never serve and volley? Ask Pete Sampras how serving and volleying worked out for him?? He's gone through a million coaches in the last 4 years, likely because they tried to implement changes and he wouldn't hear of it. He's not retiring with much of a legacy in terms of American all time players..

Obstructed_View
06-25-2009, 01:08 AM
Roddick might have more than one GS title if not for Fed but he is not only a headcase but incredibly one dimensional. He has had the same game for years. Big Serve and forehand, try to blow you off the court. If he can't get you with his power he can't beat you. He's never developed much of a backhand, doesn't change speeds well, and has little to no net game. How the hell does a guy that serves that hard, never serve and volley? Ask Pete Sampras how serving and volleying worked out for him?? He's gone through a million coaches in the last 4 years, likely because they tried to implement changes and he wouldn't hear of it. He's not retiring with much of a legacy in terms of American all time players..

Andy's biggest problem is that he doesn't take chances, and that's either on his coaches, or as you said, his failure to listen. I saw him play an injured Novak Jokovic last year and Roddick absolutely destroyed him because, he said later, he didn't want to extend the match out any longer than he had to. He showed that he has the ability to make all those shots, it's just that he almost never does. If that became an attitude he could take into every match, his fortunes would change quickly. If he set people up to crush them and tried to paint the lines, I think he'd start winning tournaments.

quentin_compson
06-26-2009, 07:02 PM
In my opinion Roddick never would have won a grand slam tournament if it wasn't for the rather mediocre field of players back then. He has a great serve and a nice forehand, but that's about it.

Federer is looking good so far this year. The only players who could be dangerous should be Murray and Djokovic.

sonic21
06-29-2009, 05:24 PM
aww poor ivanovic, crying cos of injury had to retire.

:depressed

quentin_compson
06-29-2009, 07:05 PM
Great match between Murray and Wawrinka tonight, the best game so far this year.

The QFs look promising:
Murray-Roddick should be a great game if Roddick continues to play like he has this year.
Hewitt-Ferrero; both are flying under the radar, but both could make a great opponent for the SFs.
Federer-Karlovic; usually, Roger adjusts very well to players with a great serve but nothing else.
Djokovic-Haas; well, Haas beat Djokovic in Halle, but I'd go with Djokovic in a best-of-five match.

DAF86
06-29-2009, 11:14 PM
Great match between Murray and Wawrinka tonight, the best game so far this year.

The QFs look promising:
Murray-Roddick should be a great game if Roddick continues to play like he has this year.
Hewitt-Ferrero; both are flying under the radar, but both could make a great opponent for the SFs.
Federer-Karlovic; usually, Roger adjusts very well to players with a great serve but nothing else.
Djokovic-Haas; well, Haas beat Djokovic in Halle, but I'd go with Djokovic in a best-of-five match.

It's Murray vs Ferrero and Roddick vs Hewitt.

The winners of the quarters will be: Murray-Roddick Djokovic-Federer.

quentin_compson
06-30-2009, 05:26 AM
It's Murray vs Ferrero and Roddick vs Hewitt.

The winners of the quarters will be: Murray-Roddick Djokovic-Federer.

Damn, I should have checked again before posting. :oops
Thanks for the correction. :toast

Spurtacus
06-30-2009, 10:42 PM
Work and sleep have been preventing me from watching the matches.

I should be able to watch the semifinals and finals at least.

ace3g
07-01-2009, 01:07 PM
This Hewitt/Roddick match is awesome, after being down 2 sets, Hewitt fought back to win the next 2. The 5th and final set is about to start on ESPN2

Spursfan092120
07-01-2009, 01:57 PM
Roddick serving for the match...come on Andy.

quentin_compson
07-01-2009, 07:23 PM
Roddick serving for the match...come on Andy.

Roddick is playing very well; should be an interesting match against Murray.
I don't know what's wrong with Djokovic, though; he's been out of form for quite some time now. Haas usually matches up well with Roger, but I think Federer will win again.

DAF86
07-01-2009, 09:06 PM
Federer and Roddick to the final.

ace3g
07-02-2009, 08:00 AM
so Dementieva vs Serena is a good one: Dementieva held serve and sent it to a 1st set tie breaker which is now 3-2 Serena

ace3g
07-02-2009, 08:06 AM
starting at 3-3 in the tie break, Dementieva started hitting her shots and Serena did not, Dementieva won the tie breaker 7-4 and now up 1 -0 in sets

ace3g
07-02-2009, 08:34 AM
Dementieva had the 1st serve in the 2nd set and was broken by Serena to go down 0-1 and eventually 0-2 after Serena's serves. Dementieva though broke back to get the set back to 3-3 and held her serve to lead 4-3 in the 2nd set.

ace3g
07-02-2009, 08:58 AM
wow big turn of events, earlier in the 2nd set, with Dementieva up 5-4 , Serena went for the baseline backhand , called in but was reviewed and was in by shortest of margins.

Later in the match with the set tied at 5-5, Dementieva hit a shot off the net and was called out , she challenged again, and it was again out by the shortest of margins which would have put her serve at deuce instead Serena won the break point

Serena is currently up 6-5 in the 2nd, serving for the match it is deuce right now on her serve

ace3g
07-02-2009, 09:05 AM
Serena won the 2nd set by millimeters from those 2 challenged shots in the 2nd set.

ace3g
07-02-2009, 09:23 AM
in the 3rd set, Dementieva won a break point to lead 3-1 but just lost her own serve so it is 3-2 Dementieva with Serena serving

ace3g
07-02-2009, 09:41 AM
Serena is serving right now but it is match point for Dementieva

ace3g
07-02-2009, 09:44 AM
Serena kept it together along with a risky volley at the net to hold her serve, 3rd set tied at 5 all, Dementieva serving

ace3g
07-02-2009, 09:48 AM
Dementieva holds serve up 6-5 in the 3rd

ace3g
07-02-2009, 09:55 AM
all tied up 6-6 in the 3rd set, no tiebreakers in 3rd set at Wimbledon

ace3g
07-02-2009, 10:00 AM
Serena broke Dementieva, now she is up 7-6, serving for the match

ace3g
07-02-2009, 10:04 AM
Serena won, what a great match though: 6-7, 7-5, 8-6

Obstructed_View
07-02-2009, 04:58 PM
That was a great fuckin' match. ESPN's replaying it tonight. Definitely a must-see for tennis fans.

jack sommerset
07-03-2009, 10:02 AM
Roddick Vs Murray not on TV

ace3g
07-03-2009, 10:29 AM
Roddick won the first set, 6-4

ace3g
07-03-2009, 10:30 AM
Roddick down 1-3 in the 2nd set

LaMarcus Bryant
07-03-2009, 10:51 AM
So who wins
serena or venus

ace3g
07-03-2009, 12:51 PM
All the hard work paid off, Roddick is back in a Grand Slam Final!!!!!, it sucks he has to play Federer because of his record against him, but I've seen some good changes in Roddicks game at Wimbledon, especially his slice shots, drop shots, and this new slice backhand to the baseline.

I have a feeling this will be a much better match compared to those Roddick v Federer in the past

LaMarcus Bryant
07-03-2009, 01:18 PM
Roddick is going to get waxed. I say a 3 set sweep, victory Federer.

dbreiden83080
07-03-2009, 03:34 PM
All the hard work paid off, Roddick is back in a Grand Slam Final!!!!!, it sucks he has to play Federer because of his record against him, but I've seen some good changes in Roddicks game at Wimbledon, especially his slice shots, drop shots, and this new slice backhand to the baseline.

I have a feeling this will be a much better match compared to those Roddick v Federer in the past

Could be a good match Roddick is playing well but Fed owns him, especially in Slam finals. I expect Fed to do it again..

scottspurs
07-04-2009, 01:04 AM
I hope Roddick can get it done. I've always felt sorry for the guy in a Phil Mickelson kind of way. Go Roddick. Federer is the greatest no matter what happens.

dbreiden83080
07-04-2009, 01:34 AM
I hope Roddick can get it done. I've always felt sorry for the guy in a Phil Mickelson kind of way. Go Roddick. Federer is the greatest no matter what happens.

Roddick is a Douche. This guy has fired like 15 coaches in the last 5 years. He acts like a clown on the court when things go wrong, he talks to the chair umpires like their his worst enemy, on every call he doesn't like. He's also not very popular in the locker room. I hope Fed smashes his ass as usual. The best Tennis player ever chalks up another one.. Andy is not even in the discussion among all time American great players.. IMO he was overhyped after his US Open Title and came crashing down to earth...

scottspurs
07-04-2009, 04:13 AM
Andy is not even in the discussion among all time American great players..

Nor has anyone ever said that. I just hope Roddick wins because an American hasn't won in a while. I'm not an Andy Roddick fan, but I do hope he wins this one. That being said he will probably get smashed.

Pistons < Spurs
07-05-2009, 08:47 AM
Go Andy.

Pistons < Spurs
07-05-2009, 08:50 AM
Roger's off his game today. Doesn't have alot of control on his forehand.

Pistons < Spurs
07-05-2009, 09:33 AM
Roddick is choking away this tie breaker

Pistons < Spurs
07-05-2009, 09:34 AM
This is the mentally weak Andy I'm familiar with.

Texas Chili Dog
07-05-2009, 10:53 AM
Roddick came back strong in the 4th. 5th set here we come.

Thunder Dan
07-05-2009, 11:22 AM
I'm watching, but I don't understand tennis. Who is winning?

Texas Chili Dog
07-05-2009, 11:26 AM
I'm watching, but I don't understand tennis. Who is winning?

Neither. ;)

JamStone
07-05-2009, 11:40 AM
This is the mentally weak Andy I'm familiar with.

Roddick has shown better toughness obviously as the match went on.

Pretty good showing and a great final. Federer hasn't been his best, but Roddick has played pretty darn good too.

TDMVPDPOY
07-05-2009, 11:45 AM
score biatches?

JamStone
07-05-2009, 11:52 AM
fifth set, Roger up one game, Andy's serve.

10-9 in the fifth set.

ace3g
07-05-2009, 11:55 AM
10 all in the 5th set, at Wimbledon, there is no final tiebreaker set, it just keeps going until someone wins like a normal set

Texas Chili Dog
07-05-2009, 11:56 AM
I can haz epic match nao?

Texas Chili Dog
07-05-2009, 12:02 PM
I'm calling it: Roddick breaks Federer in this game.

ace3g
07-05-2009, 12:02 PM
11 all now

Texas Chili Dog
07-05-2009, 12:04 PM
I'm calling it: Roddick breaks Federer in this game.

I'm calling it: you're an idiot.

Texas Chili Dog
07-05-2009, 12:31 PM
Damn that sucks. :(

Anyone else thing though that when Roddick had advantage, his shot on the baseline was in? I was shocked it didn't get reviewed. If it was in, that was game Roddick.

JamStone
07-05-2009, 12:32 PM
Lol nice Federer commercials right away.

"Love Fifteen" was a clever line by Nike.

TheProfessor
07-05-2009, 12:34 PM
Lot of "what if's" after that second set, but you can't fault Andy's effort.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-05-2009, 12:45 PM
Tough match, wish Andy would have pulled it out...

TDMVPDPOY
07-05-2009, 12:47 PM
that was epic

quentin_compson
07-05-2009, 01:12 PM
Great game by Roddick; I've never seen him play that good.
Roger was obviously nervous and was playing too passive. He was lucky to get away with the win today.
Still, 15 grand slam titles is pretty insane. :toast

DAF86
07-05-2009, 01:18 PM
that was epic

For the drama yes, for the quality not so much. Appart from serving (which isn't very "eye-candy-like") the level of play was "meh" at best. I'm a huge Fed fan, I watched all of his GS finals, And from all the ones he won this was by far the final that he played worst, but that doesn't matter now. I'm just glad he won.

Spurtacus
07-05-2009, 07:04 PM
Congrats to Federer on #15!

Now break a sweat partying tonight.

1Parker1
07-05-2009, 09:48 PM
I swear, Federer played four hours today and barely looked like he broke a sweat. That guy is cool as a cucumber..literally! :lol

Anyways, awesome job Federer, Greatest of All Time, without question. Tough break for Andy, but maybe he needs this to revive his career a little.

David Bowie
07-06-2009, 12:20 AM
Wow, epic match.

Glad Fed won and made history, though sad for Andy, must suck how he's feeling.

When the fifth set went on for so long, it was sort of a survival of the fittest. Roger just didn't look like he was going to be denied this Wimby title. Around the time he lost, Andy was making some crazy errors, like hitting the air instead of the ball. I think that Andy simply fell apart first. Somebody had to.