PDA

View Full Version : Pixar Grants Girl's Dying Wish To See 'Up'

duncan228
06-20-2009, 11:44 AM
Pixar grants girl's dying wish to see 'Up' (http://www.ocregister.com/articles/pixar-up-movie-2468059-home-show)
Company sent DVD so Huntington Beach girl, 10, could watch it.
By Annie Burris
The Orange County Register

HUNTINGTON BEACH – Colby Curtin, a 10-year-old with a rare form of cancer, was staying alive for one thing – a movie.

From the minute Colby saw the previews to the Disney-Pixar movie Up, she was desperate to see it. Colby had been diagnosed with vascular cancer about three years ago, said her mother, Lisa Curtin, and at the beginning of this month it became apparent that she would die soon and was too ill to be moved to a theater to see the film.

After a family friend made frantic calls to Pixar to help grant Colby her dying wish, Pixar came to the rescue.

The company flew an employee with a DVD of Up, which is only in theaters, to the Curtins’ Huntington Beach home on June 10 for a private viewing of the movie.

The animated movie begins with scenes showing the evolution of a relationship between a husband and wife. After losing his wife in old age, the now grumpy man deals with his loss by attaching thousands of balloons to his house, flying into the sky, and going on an adventure with a little boy.

Colby died about seven hours after seeing the film.

With her daughter’s vigil planned for Friday, Lisa Curtin reflected about how grateful she is that Pixar – and "Up" – were a part of her only child’s last day.

“When I watched it, I had really no idea about the content of the theme of the movie,” said Curtin, 46. “I just know that word ‘Up’ and all of the balloons and I swear to you, for me it meant that (Colby) was going to go up. Up to heaven.”

Pixar officials declined to comment on the story or name the employees involved.

THE PREVIEWS

Colby was diagnosed with vascular cancer on Dec. 23, 2005 after doctors found a tumor in her liver. At the time of her death, her stomach was about 94 inches around, swollen with fluids the cancer wouldn’t let her body properly digest. The rest of her body probably weighed about 45 pounds, family friend Carole Lynch said.

Colby had gone to Newport Elementary School and was known for making others laugh, family friend Terrell Orum-Moore said. Colby loved to dance, sing, swim and seemed to have a more mature understanding of the world than other children her age, Orum-Moore said.

On April 28, Colby went to see the Dream Works 3-D movie "Monsters Vs. Aliens" but was impressed by the previews to "Up."

“It was from then on, she said, ‘I have to see that movie. It is so cool,’” Lynch said.

Colby was a movie fan, Lisa Curtin said, and she latched onto Pixar’s movies because she loved animals.

Two days later Colby’s health began to worsen. On June 4 her mother asked a hospice company to bring a wheelchair for Colby so she could visit a theater to see "Up." However, the weekend went by and the wheelchair was not delivered, Lisa Curtin said.

By June 9, Colby could no longer be transported to a theater and her family feared she would die without having seen the movie.

At that point, Orum-Moore, who desperately wanted Colby to get her last wish, began to cold-call Pixar and Disney to see if someone could help.

Pixar has an automated telephone answering system, Orum-Moore said, and unless she had a name of a specific person she wanted to speak to, she could not get through. Orum-Moore guessed a name and the computer system transferred her to someone who could help, she said.

Pixar officials listened to Colby’s story and agreed to send someone to Colby’s house the next day with a DVD of "Up," Orum-Moore recalled.

She immediately called Lisa Curtin, who told Colby.

“Do you think you can hang on?” Colby’s mother said.

“I’m ready (to die), but I’m going to wait for the movie,” the girl replied.

THE MOVIE

At about 12:30 p.m. the Pixar employee came to the Curtins’ home with the DVD.

He had a bag of stuffed animals of characters in the movie and a movie poster. He shared some quirky background details of the movie and the group settled in to watch Up.

Colby couldn't see the screen because the pain kept her eyes closed so her mother gave her a play-by-play of the film.

At the end of the film, the mother asked if her daughter enjoyed the movie and Colby nodded yes, Lisa Curtin said.

The employee left after the movie, taking the DVD with him, Lynch said.

“He couldn’t have been nicer,” said Lynch who watched the movie with the family. “His eyes were just welled up.”

After the movie, Colby’s dad, Michael Curtin, who is divorced from Lisa Curtin, came to visit.

Colby died with her mom and dad nearby at 9:20 p.m.

Among the Up memorabilia the employee gave Colby was an “adventure book” – a scrap book the main character’s wife used to chronicle her journeys.

“I’ll have to fill those adventures in for her,” Lisa Curtin said.

dimsah
06-20-2009, 11:52 AM
Tragically sad.

jman3000
06-20-2009, 12:06 PM
Wow... that's pretty touching. Considering she died so soon after seeing the movie, you really have to wonder if she was fighting to stay alive to see it.

Fat Bones
06-20-2009, 12:20 PM
That sux, why'd he take the DVD with him? They could have put it on repeat.

angel_luv
06-20-2009, 12:21 PM
That is a very touching story.

Trainwreck2100
06-20-2009, 12:33 PM
That sux, why'd he take the DVD with him? They could have put it on repeat.

copyright issues

pkbpkb81
06-20-2009, 01:13 PM
wow i am going to go hug my kids

sonic21
06-20-2009, 02:09 PM
wow really touching story

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-20-2009, 04:02 PM
Death is depressing.

Bender
06-20-2009, 04:33 PM
Pixar officials declined to comment on the story or name the employees involved.
this part impressed me also. Pixar didn't blow their own horn about the whole thing.

Cry Havoc
06-20-2009, 04:44 PM
Pixar continues to impress.

What a fantastic, sad, beautiful story. (I seem to be using those words a lot lately)

duncan228
06-20-2009, 05:24 PM
Readers worldwide respond to Pixar's granting dying girl’s wish (http://www.ocregister.com/articles/pixar-up-girl-2469238-wish-internet)
Article sparked e-mails from around the world, a YouTube song, and hundreds of comments.
By Annie Burris
The Orange County Register

HUNTINGTON BEACH – An Orange County Register story about how Pixar granted a 10-year-old’s dying wish to see the movie "Up" has gone around the world and sparked e-mails from India and Spain, a song on YouTube and hundreds of comments about a company’s good will.

“I’m overwhelmed and I’m just thrilled that it is touching so many people,” said Lisa Curtin, Colby Curtin’s mother. “She would probably just smile … her big smile from ear to ear.”

Colby, of Huntington Beach, was dying of a rare form of cancer and desperately wanted to see the Disney-Pixar movie "Up" before she died. She was too sick to be taken to a theater, prompting family friend Terrell Orum-Moore to frantically call Pixar and Disney for help. Pixar officials agreed to have a private home showing of the movie for Colby. Colby died about seven hours after watching the movie June 10 with her family and friends.

Colby’s school, Newport Elementary in Newport Beach, had a special ceremony in honor of Colby today, which was also the last day of school. A bouquet of about 60 pink balloons was given to the family and three balloons were released into the air. A scholarship fund was also set up in Colby’s name to help students attend such after-school activities as art, cooking and golf.

“I think I was most touched by the children that came up to me with such emotion and love for their friend,” her mother said about the school ceremony.

Less than 24 hours after the story was posted on the Register’s Web site, it has been read by more than 400,000 people, and was at the top of other Web sites, including Reddit (http://www.reddit.com/), Digg (http://digg.com/), Boing Boing (http://www.boingboing.net/), Rotten Tomatoes (http://wrapper.rottentomatoes.com/s?from=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rottentomatoes.com%2F&siteId=6760&size=entryinterstitial&cKey=1413272223-1440485231245536497839&docTitle=ROTTEN%20TOMATOES%3A%20Movies%20-%20New%20Movie%20Reviews%20and%20Previews%21), and The Consumerist (http://consumerist.com/).

The story was the second top-viewed article of the month and possibly among the top 10 most viewed for the Register’s parent company, Freedom Communications (http://www.freedom.com/), which has more than 100 daily and weekly newspapers.

Songwriter and singer Mike Lombardo read the story in Rome, N.Y., about 9:30 p.m. Thursday. He wrote a song about Colby and posted it on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpbCtxY7Fq0).

“I wanted to do something and as an artist, all I could do is write about it,” he said about the song that took him 10 minutes to compose.

Carole Lynch, a close friend of Colby’s family, wrote under the YouTube post that the song “touched our family.”

“Colby meant the world to us and suffered for so long, so to have someone write about her story is nothing short of amazing,” she wrote.

An e-mail from a 30-year-old native New Yorker – a self-proclaimed cynic – said the story brought unexpected emotion.

“The hard, stoic stone of a man who I've become crumbled into a sopping pile of Kleenex on the couch,” he wrote without signing the e-mail. "I'm of a burly, emotionless stature – and Colby's story brought me to tears. My heart – I didn't even know that I still had one – has been wrenched, and it goes out to Colby's family and friends.”

The Register also got e-mails about Colby from Connecticut, Utah, Minnesota, Florida, North Dakota, India and Spain.

There were about 55 comments with the Register’s story, many giving kudos to Pixar.

“It's nice to read that Pixar responded so quickly to fill this dying girl's wish,” wrote pugnacious. “That's a class act. Now, I feel even better about seeing Up.”

Reader HBOC01 also said, “Bravo to Pixar and the employee who brought joy to this little girl’s last day.”

Several gave condolences to the family.

“At least now her parents can have the comfort and closure knowing they fulfilled their daughter’s last wish and they were by her side through and through,” wrote scchillmom. “RIP baby girl... Now you can fly high.”

Biernutz
06-20-2009, 08:21 PM
Thank god that a company finally did the right thing! I just hope Colby enjoyed the movie!

sook
06-20-2009, 09:19 PM
I'm really happy for the girl...that was really really touching. Its so sad she died just 7 hours after but I'm glad that the company flew the DVD in.

I might go watch it for that sole reason

Udokafan05
06-20-2009, 09:56 PM
R.I.P Colby

EricB
06-20-2009, 10:56 PM
If that story doesn't make you tear up or cry, you don't have a heart.

BruceBowenFan
06-21-2009, 01:26 PM
if that story doesn't make you tear up or cry, you don't have a heart.

+1

BlackSwordsMan
06-21-2009, 02:01 PM

:rolleyes

sabar
06-22-2009, 01:44 AM

There comes a point after seeing a lot of death first-hand that you get numb to it.

Sad, but true.

What makes me moved though, is how a child can be ready to die, when I can't say the same for myself.