PDA

View Full Version : 48MoH: Tiago Splitter, Trade Asset

Blackjack
06-22-2009, 03:10 AM
(For those that don't venture to the Think Tank...)

Tiago Splitter, Trade Asset

The Draft is almost upon us. There have been several reports that the Spurs are looking to trade into the first round, with one rumor having them interested in Washington’s 5th pick. But, honestly, we heard similar things last year. The cold reality of limited assets and the tough business of locating agreeable trade partners quiets most of the rumor-mongering.

This year’s trade speculation rests against the backdrop of needed change, with almost all those who follow the Spurs calling for or expecting overhaul this offseason. Don Harris recently quoted Spurs color analyst and family member Sean Elliott saying, “…I would fully expect us to have a revamped team next season.” His expectation seems universal.

A few of our readers have asked, given the team’s limited assets, whether Tiago Splitter’s rights could help a trade proposal go through. If Splitter is not tied to the rookie scale, as we’ve previously argued, one would think his rights would hold some value, certainly more than we assumed a year ago.

Tiago Splitter projects as an NBA starter, or at least a quality rotation big. He’s only 24 years old, but has the professional experience of a seasoned vet. And in this topsy-turvy economy, one wonders if his buyout situation is not actually attractive to teams. Put differently, if you’re a team that is not enamored with adding a rookie to your 2009-10 payroll, acquiring the rights to a talented big who requires zero immediate payment (and won’t until at least next summer) is something of a win-win. You avoid the cap hit, but still get to add a valuable player to your pipeline. Looking at the bigs available in this draft, Splitter would probably rank with Jordan Hill and DeJuan Blair, not far behind Hasheem Thabeet. Some might rank him ahead of the other three.

If this is the case, why would the Spurs want to give him up? If he came to the team next season, he’s a lock for a productive 25 mpg.

The simple answer is that he provides an asset the team currently lacks. He’s the young prospect that could put a cap relief package over the top. And again, that’s with the added luxury of staying off the books until at least 2010.

The Spurs recent dalliance with Yiannis Bouroussis is an indicator that shoring up their front line is an immediate priority, one that Tim Duncan cannot afford for them to sit on for another year. I expect the team to target another big with their MLE (Charlie Villanueva?). Then there is the possibility of Ian Mahinmi bouncing back from injury and contributing to the rotation. And most of us expect that if Chris Bosh is available next summer, the Spurs will use their cap space to make a run at him, however unlikely the odds. Add all that up. Where does Tiago Splitter fit into the puzzle?

But that’s on the optimistic view. The pessimist is happy to respond by saying the Spurs could strike out in free agency, Mahinmi could flop, and the team could completely miss their 2010 free agent target. If some combination of those things were to occur, Splitter is a mighty nice insurance policy.

Obviously, he’s the sort of asset one doesn’t just give away. There is no question he benefits the team a year from now. The question, however, is could he benefit the team 4 days from now? And if so, to what degree and how?

So to our readers who’ve asked what value Splitter’s rights hold, my answer is a curiosity struck “dunno.” I’d like to think he could command a pick somewhere between 10 and 20, but I also see the world through shades of silver and black.

http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2009/06/21/tiago-splitter-trade-asset/

urunobili
06-22-2009, 07:40 AM
He'll never be a Spur... I rather have his rights traded for something that can help now... :splitter

Stump
06-22-2009, 07:49 AM
Unless we get a solid return, I don't want to give him up. This has Scola 2.0 written all over it.

jermaine
06-22-2009, 08:50 AM
Fuck that fool!!!! :wgaf: about him. The way he stuck dick in us. Get anything you can get for that bum. He dont wanna play over here so why hold on to that fuck!?!

Kill_Bill_Pana
06-22-2009, 08:53 AM
If he can come after one more year then Spurs should keep him.

Bruno
06-22-2009, 08:55 AM
Splitter has almost no trade value. He isn't a trade asset.

NickiRasgo
06-22-2009, 08:58 AM
Tiago Splitter to Tyler Hansbrough. :D Wish me luck.

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-22-2009, 09:07 AM
Fuck that fool!!!! :wgaf: about him. The way he stuck dick in us. Get anything you can get for that bum. He dont wanna play over here so why hold on to that fuck!?!

There is no athlete in his position ( I assume you know nothing about it ) who would have taken the Spurs offer over TAU's and even Pop said as much. I wouldn't be in a rush to judge him or label him, we will have the chance to make a proper offer as soon as next summer.

urunobili
06-22-2009, 09:09 AM
we will have the chance to make a proper offer as soon as next summer.

System Failure

Spurs won't be able to make jackshit offer outside of the first round rookie scale... therefore "proper" is not a possibility... until the new CBA is negotiated we're fucked....

Conclusion: Splitter will never come to the NBA until the new CBA is negotiated

Russ
06-22-2009, 09:11 AM
Scola redux -- First we are told that his situation makes it impossible for him to come to the NBA. Then he is traded and in a rival NBA jersey before the ink drys. No thanks, not this time.

MoSpur
06-22-2009, 09:12 AM
Is there no chance of him coming over this season?

SenorSpur
06-22-2009, 09:13 AM
Assuming the Spurs are successful in trading up into the 1st round, this Splitter situation is precisely WHY the Spurs should again be fearful of the international market. They cannot afford to get burned 2 out of the last 3 drafts. The team needs IMMEDIATE help.

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-22-2009, 09:20 AM
System Failure

Spurs won't be able to make jackshit offer outside of the first round rookie scale... therefore "proper" is not a possibility... until the new CBA is negotiated we're fucked....

Conclusion: Splitter will never come to the NBA until the new CBA is negotiated

From the CBA :

'…a First Round Pick who does not sign with the Team that holds his draft rights for any portion of the three (3) Seasons following the NBA Draft in which he was selected (and who did not play intercollegiate basketball during such period) may enter into either (a) a Rookie Scale Contract in accordance with Section 1 above, or (b) if the Team has Room in excess of the applicable first-year Rookie Scale Amount, a Contract covering no fewer than three (3) Seasons that provides for Salary plus Unlikely Bonuses in the first Salary Cap Year up to the amount of the Team’s Room and increases or decreases in Salary and Unlikely Bonuses in subsequent Salary Cap Years in accordance with Article VII, Section 5(c)(1).'

lotr1trekkie
06-22-2009, 11:40 AM
Unless Splitter is a stud I trade his rights as long as you get playing value. If he's better than Scola I keep him. If he's not coming this year than how do you work him in to the 2010 plan. We all know that the Spurs need to upgrade this season somehow. Splitter comes in 2010-11 and takes a year to learn the NBA style. By 2011-12 Tim is 35 and Manu 34. Can Spitter be a go-to or just a role player? Trading Scola for nada is probably the worst mistake the Spur's FO has made in a long time. Don't make the same mistake twice.

SenorSpur
06-22-2009, 12:36 PM
This is quite a dilemma for the Spurs. They need help NOW and really can't afford to wait another year for Splitter. If I'm the Spurs, there are several factors that would influence whether or not to use Spiltter's rights as trade asset.

1. It has to an offer they cannot refuse. One that blows their doors off.
2. The Spurs are reasonably assured they can sign Ioannis Bourousis immediately
3. The Spurs are reasonably assured they can sign Charlie Villanueva after 7/1.

One other thing, in now way would I trade George Hill. The fact that the Spurs have offered him up back in Feb to the Clippers, really scares me. If an attractive trade offer hinges on the inclusion of either George Hill or Splitter, I would trade Splitter. Trading Hill is clearly taking a step backward. Splitter is an asset, but there are simply no assurances that he'll ever be a Spur. The old adage about the "bird in the hand" comes to mind here.

Also, with the Scola fiasco looming in their minds, it bears repeating that the Spurs absolutely MUST get back value for any package that includes Splitter. A deal for a top-10 pick or a mid-career veteran contributor, would qualify.

Texas_Ranger
06-22-2009, 12:36 PM
Fuck Splitter!!

velik_m
06-22-2009, 12:39 PM
:splitter

rayray2k8
06-22-2009, 01:49 PM
Lets see what happens after the draft.
Call me naive but I get the feeling that the spurs are planning something big...
Cross your fingers spurs fans, the next few days will decide if we'll be able to contend the
next few years.

TFloss32
06-22-2009, 01:49 PM
Fuck Splitter!!

I love how so many on this board are quick to say this and judge Tiago. The dude was offered SIX times the amount of money to stay with TAU and he had a terminally ill sister in Spain (who has since passed away). This is a no-brainer situation and nobody here wouldn't have done what he did. Who cares if he said he was coming? IMO, he had every intention of being here (he even flew over for a press conference in the summer of '07). At least he never used the Spurs for his own benefit like Corey Maggette or Ioannis Bourousis. But guess what? Everyone has their own individual lives to worry about and things can change very quickly. I guarantee the Spurs understand that and have even more respect for him now. He would be a huge asset to this team and I hope he's wearing our colors come Fall 2010. If he's not, then you can judge him and start talking trade. Until then...:stfu.

dbestpro
06-22-2009, 02:58 PM
Surprised you didn't get your thread banished to the Spurs Stink Tank.
I have never seen this site so dead leading up to the draft. The info on the players was good in the Think Tank, but placing every draft thread in exile has turned it into the stink tank.

ffadicted
06-22-2009, 03:06 PM
I feel like if we trade Splitter, this will be Scola x 10

Spurtacus
06-22-2009, 07:22 PM
When is the soonest he could become a Spur? I'm not too familiar with his Tau contract.

Solid D
06-22-2009, 07:41 PM
Trade his rights, for a mid-first or packaged for a useful asset now (not stashed). I'm not that impressed with Tiago's game and I no longer give him credit for potential.

TimDunkem
06-22-2009, 07:43 PM
Trade his rights, for a mid-first or packaged for a useful asset now (not stashed). I'm not that impressed with Tiago's game and I no longer give him credit for potential.
He's 24. He doesn't have any potential?

Bruno
06-22-2009, 07:47 PM
When is the soonest he could become a Spur? I'm not too familiar with his Tau contract.

He has a NBA buyout clause for the 2010 summer.
Saying that, European contracts are never set in stone and they can be changed if both sides agree. Splitter can theoretically come to SA as soon as this summer but it's quite unlikely.

Solid D
06-22-2009, 07:52 PM
He's 24. He doesn't have any potential?

Everyone has potential. I didn't say he doesn't have potential. I said I no longer give him credit for (place value in) potential. It's time to deliver and show big game leadership. He has loads of experience, even at 24.

Blackjack
06-22-2009, 07:57 PM

If they could get a mid-first for him, I think I'd agree. (*cough* T-Will *cough*)

I'm not sure that Pachulia isn't actually a better player/fit, so if the Spurs could land him?

I'd definitely be willing to part with Splitter's rights.

ivanfromwestwood
06-22-2009, 08:09 PM
right about now i would trade him for a 24 pack of budwieser and a 1/8 of dro. seriously.

timvp
06-22-2009, 08:12 PM
There's no way Splitter could fetch a first round pick at this point. When he was in the draft, he was telling everyone that he'd only spend one more year in Europe. Even with him saying that, he fell to the end of the first round.

Add much more contract uncertainty, an injury riddled season, a flattening potential curve, three years of age and the fact that he'd likely demand a good chunk of change to bring over (if he wants to hop the pond, that is) ... and you are talking a second round pick at the most. More likely a tiny sweetener in a larger deal.

Mahinmi has a higher trade value and I highly doubt he would be enough to get a first round pick -- even in this historically weak draft.

timvp
06-22-2009, 08:14 PM
Splitter has almost no trade value. He isn't a trade asset.

I should have read the thread first . . .

Blackjack
06-22-2009, 08:32 PM
There's no way Splitter could fetch a first round pick at this point. When he was in the draft, he was telling everyone that he'd only spend one more year in Europe. Even with him saying that, he fell to the end of the first round.

Add much more contract uncertainty, an injury riddled season, a flattening potential curve, three years of age and the fact that he'd likely demand a good chunk of change to bring over (if he wants to hop the pond, that is) ... and you are talking a second round pick at the most. More likely a tiny sweetener in a larger deal.

Mahinmi has a higher trade value and I highly doubt he would be enough to get a first round pick -- even in this historically weak draft.

I generally agree, that's why I said "if" they could get a mid-first, but there's one thing that might be able to change that, at least for one team.

Luis Scola.

There was a lot of similar, if not the same, prevailing wisdom in regards to Scola's worth when the Spurs were looking to make a deal in past drafts. Maybe Scola's success is something that just one team feels they don't want to make a mistake and pass on?

This draft has been bashed for being "one of the worst of all time", so maybe a guy like Tiago is seen as a better acquisition than anything they could draft. (The fact that he wouldn't come over until next year would probably even be attractive to some teams in this climate.)

I'm not expecting the Spurs to benefit in this draft by the means of Splitter's rights, but there is a glimmer of hope that they could. (a tiny, tiny, glimmer)

It only takes one team.

timvp
06-22-2009, 08:39 PM
I generally agree, that's why I said "if" they could get a mid-first, but there's one thing that might be able to change that, at least for one team.

Luis Scola.

There was a lot of similar, if not the same, prevailing wisdom in regards to Scola's worth when the Spurs were looking to make a deal in past drafts. Maybe Scola's success is something that just one team feels they don't want to make a mistake and pass on?

This draft has been bashed for being "one of the worst of all time", so maybe a guy like Tiago is seen as a better acquisition than anything they could draft. (The fact that he wouldn't come over until next year would probably even be attractive to some teams in this climate.)

I'm not expecting the Spurs to benefit in this draft by the means of Splitter's rights, but there is a glimmer of hope that they could. (a tiny, tiny, glimmer)

It only takes one team.The big difference is that Scola was literally begging to come to the NBA. And he was able to come to the NBA right away when the Spurs traded him.

Splitter hasn't said anything about coming to the NBA. Even if Splitter said he'd come to the NBA, he probably wouldn't have a first round draft pick value. With him being mum on the subject, that lowers the chances to like 0.01%.

A type of trade involving Splitter might be something like Splitter and $2.5M for a first round pick. Even in that scenario, a team would probably just hold out for the full $3M.

I'd like to be optimistic but I can't imagine another team would want to touch his contract situation with a ten foot pole.

Blackjack
06-22-2009, 09:03 PM
I'd like to be optimistic but I can't imagine another team would want to touch his contract situation with a ten foot pole.

C'mon, now... It's San Antonio Spurs Draft-Time, baby!

You know the drill.

The infinte trade-scenario's, the improbable draft-jockeying, the over-hyping of players people knew nothing of 2 months ago, the anticipation of said players falling to within reach then being drafted right before the Spurs' slot or passed on in favor of someone people know nothing about, which then leads to the inevitable woulda-coulda-shoulda, followed by disappointment/depression, which inevitably turns to optimism and the realization of the second-coming of a draft-pick that only helps to solidify the Spurs' brilliance.

It's science, really...:king

timvp
06-22-2009, 09:07 PM
Good point.

I'm personally hoping DeJuan Blair's injury concerns cause him to tumble to 37 :smokin

SenorSpur
06-22-2009, 09:09 PM
Good point.

I'm personally hoping DeJuan Blair's injury concerns cause him to tumble to 37 :smokin

I read somewhere that the Blazers are really hot for Blair.

Marcus Bryant
06-22-2009, 11:09 PM
Since the rookie scale will not be a concern in 2010, I'd be content to wait the year for him. If anything, he looks like a serviceable starting big in the NBA.

timvp
06-22-2009, 11:14 PM
Since the rookie scale will not be a concern in 2010, I'd be content to wait the year for him. If anything, he looks like a serviceable starting big in the NBA.

Yeah, the most value you can probably get out of Splitter is just sitting on his rights and hoping he'll sign. His trade value is too low to trade him.

Solid D
06-22-2009, 11:21 PM
Splitter packaged with other assets is still a viable option with the right team in these economic times.

Blackjack
06-22-2009, 11:34 PM
Good point.

The knee concerns could possibly get him to fall out of the lottery but I think we need to float some rumors/"questionable" medical reports concerning a worrisome medulla oblongata, for him to fall to 37...

Seriously, though, is Blair your guy or was he just someone you mentioned because of the health concerns?(i.e. top of the wishlist)

ivanfromwestwood
06-23-2009, 01:34 AM
. He'll likely ask for a lot after the rookie scale criteria has expired.

how much do you guys think he'll want?

Yuixafun
06-23-2009, 01:43 AM
if he wants to play for Us we shouldn't trade his rights

I mean this guys sister was dying last year so I can understand him not wanting to come over immediately

heartless bastards.

Blackjack
06-23-2009, 01:46 AM
Splitter hasn't said anything about coming to the NBA. Even if Splitter said he'd come to the NBA, he probably wouldn't have a first round draft pick value. With him being mum on the subject, that lowers the chances to like 0.01%.

(From the department of wishful thinking, bordering boredom: )

Ya know, that could very well open up another scenario...

I mean, with this economic climate, what if that would be ideal to an owner with an eye on the bottomline. A Sterling-type owner or an owner feeling forced to make a Sterling-like decision.

If a team traded for Splitter (taking them off the hook for a guaranteed contract this year) it wouldn't be that hard to sell to your fans. If next year you're still approaching or in the red, Splitter not coming over would be exactly the type of move the owner would want financially, but it would come with the cushion of allowing your fanbase to believe Splitter's to blame.:smokin

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-23-2009, 01:47 AM
how much do you guys think he'll want?

Something like 3 yrs/$10 mil I suppose. It's a fair offer and I fully expect the Spurs to go this route next summer, or similar. There is no point in trading him right now, as others have said.

ivanfromwestwood
06-23-2009, 01:53 AM
yea that sounds fair.

mystargtr34
06-23-2009, 04:11 AM
You would hope the Scola situation has taught the FO a valuable lesson. I really dont see them potentially making the same mistake again. Theres other ways to get better and younger, ways that dont include trading away a 24 year old 7 foot potential Starting Center with post skills - when his value is that of a second round draft pick, because of non basketball related factors.

The team has been lacking a real starting calibar Center since David Robinson retired - they now potentially have one in their hands. I cant see him being given away to move up 10 spots in the draft, or for a wing with potential. A starting caliber big is just as crucial to the current Spurs roster as a athletic wing is - why trade it away for practically nothing.

I think hes staying and coming over in 2010.

kobyz
06-23-2009, 04:55 AM
i think his trade value is at least 15-20 pick in this year draft probable even more.

mountainballer
06-23-2009, 05:21 AM
(From the department of wishful thinking, bordering boredom: )

Ya know, that could very well open up another scenario...

I mean, with this economic climate, what if that would be ideal to an owner with an eye on the bottomline. A Sterling-type owner or an owner feeling forced to make a Sterling-like decision.

If a team traded for Splitter (taking them off the hook for a guaranteed contract this year) it wouldn't be that hard to sell to your fans. If next year you're still approaching or in the red, Splitter not coming over would be exactly the type of move the owner would want financially, but it would come with the cushion of allowing your fanbase to believe Splitter's to blame.:smokin

agree. such a move would make some GM look smarter than if they sold a pick just for money. (see Kerr and the Fernandez trade). several teams want to sell their pick, if they get Tiago's rights for a late 1st rounder, they do a smart move. (hopefully the Spurs don't do such a trade).
what if, for example, the Pistons offer #15 or the Bulls offer #16 for the Splitter rights? this would be a tough call IMO.
(if the financially struggling Bucks offer the #10, it should be a no brainer)

Old School 44
06-23-2009, 09:50 AM
I don't mind if the Spurs trade Splitter's rights, just PLEASE do it with someone in the EAST, not Houston, Dallas, New Orleans, Phoenix, Lakers...

timvp
06-27-2009, 03:06 PM
Good point.

Damn, timvp.

Damn.

:smokin

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-27-2009, 03:32 PM
:lol

Tully365
06-27-2009, 03:52 PM
I love how so many on this board are quick to say this and judge Tiago. The dude was offered SIX times the amount of money to stay with TAU and he had a terminally ill sister in Spain (who has since passed away). This is a no-brainer situation and nobody here wouldn't have done what he did....

Everyone has their own individual lives to worry about and things can change very quickly. I guarantee the Spurs understand that and have even more respect for him now. He would be a huge asset to this team and I hope he's wearing our colors come Fall 2010.

:toast Well said.

rayray2k8
06-27-2009, 03:56 PM
Damn, timvp.

Damn.

You called it man!!
I've yet to hear what you have to say which preferred big you want out of Free agency.
Are you also aboard the Rasheed Wallace bandwagon or are you buying into the Gorat hype?
Perhaps someone else in mind?

Blackjack
06-27-2009, 05:29 PM
Good point.

The knee concerns could possibly get him to fall out of the lottery but I think we need to float some rumors/"questionable" medical reports concerning a worrisome medulla oblongata, for him to fall to 37...

Damn, timvp.

Damn.

What, because you hoped?

Look, while you were hoping for the type of unlikely precipitous fall that would land the Spurs Blair, I was busy floating erroneous medical reports to make sure it would happen.

Damn, Blackjack...

You're good, real good...:smokin

timvp
06-27-2009, 08:24 PM
You called it man!!
I've yet to hear what you have to say which preferred big you want out of Free agency.

You must be looking over my shoulder. Check back later tonight to find out :hat

Biernutz
06-27-2009, 08:52 PM
Does Tiago want to play in the NBA or not ? He has to know how how the NBA pays for Euro players. These Euro sluts need to get new agents. You just can't have it both ways. Don't sign a big buy out with your Euro team if you want to play in the NBA you moron. No NBA team is will buy out your contract and pay you a total of $10 mill for your first season in the NBA. --stop being a bunch of dumb asses. It's time to put this crap on Tiago and not the Spurs----