PDA

View Full Version : Trade Target: Nicolas Batum

SenorSpur
06-22-2009, 01:50 PM
With the Blazers expected to be very active, yet again, in the free agent market and because they currently have a logjam at the SF spot, does anyone think the Spurs will take another crack at trying to pry him away from the Blazers? From the passage below, the Blazers are still fielding inquiries about his availability.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129139

McMillan said three Blazers in particular are attracting serious attention around the league: Nicolas Batum, Rudy Fernandez and Travis Outlaw.

The problem is, the Blazers think very highly of all three and have balked at what teams are offering in return. At the same time, the Blazers stand to enter training camp with a logjam at small forward with Batum, Outlaw and Martell Webster competing for time.

"I like all of our guys, but there is no way we can play all of them," McMillan said.

"What's going to happen, if something happens, is a team is going to force you to make a decision," McMillan said.

The Blazers already have gone down this road before. At last February's trading deadline, Batum -- the rookie from France -- drew considerable interest, but the Blazers wouldn't bite at the offers. This summer, McMillan said that interest hasn't waned, as more teams are inquiring about Batum than Outlaw.

Stump
06-22-2009, 02:56 PM
Unless we give them Parker, we really have nothing appealing to give them for Batum.

urunobili
06-22-2009, 03:37 PM
Stop dreaming Prickyard will never help us get anything from them...

Blackjack
06-22-2009, 06:50 PM
With the Blazers expected to be very active, yet again, in the free agent market and because they currently have a logjam at the SF spot, does anyone think the Spurs will take another crack at trying to pry him away from the Blazers? From the passage below, the Blazers are still fielding inquiries about his availability.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129139

A little more on the Blazers' situation:

POSTED: June 22 -- 10:11 a.m. ET

Chad Ford: What would the draft be without a few Blazers trade rumors?

Portland GM Kevin Pritchard has been among the NBA's most active executives on draft night. In 2006, he pulled off three draft-day trades to get his hands on LaMarcus Aldridge, Brandon Roy and Sergio Rodriguez. In 2007, Pritchard landed Rudy Fernandez and Petteri Koponen with draft-day deals. And in 2008, Pritchard traded up two spots in the draft to get Jerryd Bayless and then landed Nicolas Batum in a trade.

Will Pritchard strike again this year?

The Blazers have been making inquiries all over the first round. Their main target has been Pittsburgh's DeJuan Blair, a burly power forward who plays with a toughness the Blazers lack and coach Nate McMillan would appreciate.

However, Sunday night, there was talk Pritchard has even grander plans. With point guard Ricky Rubio possibly slipping out of the top four, the Blazers are talking to the Wizards about acquiring the No. 5 pick. Pritchard has been on the hunt for a point guard, and Rubio would be a nice fit to round out the Blazers' collection of young, unselfish talents.

But trading for the No. 5 pick is far from a done deal, as the price would be high for the Blazers. The Wizards want any team interested in the No. 5 pick to take Etan Thomas off their hands -- a move that could eat into the Blazers' cap space this summer. The deal almost certainly would cost the Blazers some young talent, like Bayless, Travis Outlaw or Batum.

Even more pressing, McMillan has been pushing for the Blazers to sit out this draft and instead add a veteran to their young core.

Pritchard joked to The Oregonian that McMillan "will probably kill me" if he adds another rookie to the team. McMillan laughed and told The Oregonian, "you will have to put me behind bars" if Pritchard gets another rookie.

There's no question Pritchard also is trying to figure out a way to get maximum cap room this summer to use for a free agent or in a trade. The Magic's Hedo Turkoglu gets the most mention, but sources say Portland's real target is Bulls point guard Kirk Hinrich.

If the Bulls re-sign Ben Gordon to a big contract this summer, they are going to have to part ways with Hinrich to be able to afford it. The Bulls are dangerously close to the luxury tax as it is, and gving Gordon a big deal would put them over the top. Enter the Blazers, who will have the cap space to absorb Hinrich's deal and put the Bulls back under the tax threshold.

Hinrich would give the Blazers a seasoned point guard, but one without the sizzle or upside of Rubio.

Can Pritchard sit back and let Rubio slip through his fingers?
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2009/insider/news/story?page=09DraftBuzz2&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2fdraft2009%2finsider%2fnews%2fstory%3fpage%3d09D raftBuzz2

Tully365
06-22-2009, 09:00 PM
At this point, it would be odd for Portland to trade a young talented guy like Batum who is still on his rookie contract and very inexpensive rather than Outlaw or Webster.

Chieflion
06-22-2009, 09:45 PM
They can just trade Webster or waive Outlaw for more cap. I just want to get Tayshaun Prince if at all possible.

SenorSpur
06-22-2009, 10:57 PM
Personally, I'd still prefer Batum to any SF we could get in this years NBA draft. Obviously, it likely will not happen, but I can dream.

Blackjack
06-22-2009, 11:54 PM
KT makes more scense for the Blazers than he does for the Spurs. I personally think the Blazers are missing a tough vet to back up Aldrige. They have enough young wings, and Outlaw's contract is pretty close in numbers with KT's.

I'd love to have Outlaw, but there's no way I want to see Kurt on the Blazers. I just wouldn't want the Spurs to end up having to go through Portland with Tim having to deal with Kurt defending him on the ball, and the length of L.A. and J.P. allowed to challenge his shot from the weakside.(Especially, if the Spurs don't have a reliable Horry-like player to spread the floor.)

Kurt Thomas, in the short-term, to Portland would probably be more beneficial to there success than Outlaw would be to the Spurs. (And with the Spurs' window, the short-term is where it's at.)

buttsR4rebounding
06-23-2009, 09:14 AM
KT makes more scense for the Blazers than he does for the Spurs. I personally think the Blazers are missing a tough vet to back up Aldrige. They have enough young wings, and Outlaw's contract is pretty close in numbers with KT's.

The Spurs are hurting for bigs in a major way. No way they are trading KT without first signing a starting center.

ForeignFan
01-28-2010, 01:18 PM
Too early to tell, but his first two games with Portland have been good. If he confirms he returns to shape, do you think Portland would be interested in a trade (they still have quite a few players injured) ?

yavozerb
01-28-2010, 03:11 PM
Ian and a 1st for batum...make it happen

Brazil
01-28-2010, 03:12 PM

Never Portland would accept a Ian + 1st for batum.

I'd love to see Batum playing for the spurs but it won't happen.

tomtom
01-28-2010, 08:35 PM

:lol

Strike
01-30-2010, 08:45 PM
Won't happen. The city and the team are high on Batum. Much as I'd like to see him donning the silver & black, sorry, no go.

barbacoataco
01-30-2010, 10:39 PM
Think the Blazers have other trade options. Batum has too much ceiling to trade, and the Blazers need defense because Rudy can't play any. I will be interested to see if the Blazers make a move. They talk like they are going to be active, but I wouldn't be surprised if they kept the talent they had and hope everyone gets healthy. I don't see them trading Batum unless they get something they really want. Since I don't think they have a plan, I'm not sure what that would be. They already have 2 PG's who don't work, and a gazillion wings who are all talented but somewhat incomplete.

exstatic
03-20-2010, 04:10 PM
Never Portland would accept a Ian + 1st for batum.

I'd love to see Batum playing for the spurs but it won't happen.

Won't happen. The city and the team are high on Batum. Much as I'd like to see him donning the silver & black, sorry, no go.

If the owners slap on a hard cap, teams like Portland and OKC are going to have some hard choices to make with their boatloads of young talent. It won't matter how rich Paul Allen is if there is a hard cap.

Never is a long time.

mountainballer
03-23-2010, 06:20 AM
just a guess:

turn back time to draft 2008, the Rockets don't fuck the Spurs with trading their pick to Blazers and the Spurs pick Batum.
2nd round the Spurs would go for the back up PG they need and keep Dragic.

the upside of this scenario? if the Spurs have a young SF like Batum, they might not pull the trigger on the RJ trade, but do another, more conservative trade. (maybe for Mike Miller or Salmons?)

Spurs back court would be: Tony-Dragic-Manu-Miller(Salmons)-Batum

don't get me wrong: I do like either Hill and Hairston. (and yes, I know the Dragic trade led to the pick of Blair). just for the sake of discussion. isn't the mentioned rotation better than the current one AND has more upside for the future?

TDMVPDPOY
03-23-2010, 06:24 AM
fkn simple

give us batum + oden

they can have watever + splitters rights...

Bruno
03-23-2010, 06:49 AM
Karma...

Stealing Batum from Spurs has been Pritchard's last good move. After that he has done bad moves after bad moves and is one the verge of being fired. Blazers had a wonderful basis to build a great team and Pritchard screw it badly.

I couldn't imagine a harsher payback than that.

mountainballer
03-23-2010, 08:40 AM
I think if he gets fired, it has more to do with him being a puke than his moves of the last time. as long as that guys are successful (and he did some impressing deals. but maybe it was just luck) the bosses accept his attitude. but watch out for the moment the stock is falling. I'm pretty sure there are some guys in Portland waiting to kick his ass out the door.

yavozerb
11-29-2010, 06:58 PM
Just a hypothetical question . I noticed that Batum has been demoted by mcmillan in favor of mathews. Since Portland is in bad need of another big, would you consider a blair for Batum trade? I believe there contracts are pretty similar. Just wondering

elemento
11-29-2010, 07:00 PM
I would consider that.

Not sure if their contracts are similar though

yavozerb
11-29-2010, 07:04 PM
I would consider that.

Not sure if their contracts are similar though

According to hoopshype: Blair 918k
Batum 1.2 mil

benefactor
11-29-2010, 07:51 PM
Perhaps...but I'd rather see if they would take Anderson first.

Ditty
11-30-2010, 01:03 AM
I know spurs have a small trade exception and 1st round pick they can work with. I would trade batum for that but doubt blazers would want that unless spurs include another future 1st rounder cuz this years 1st rounder wouldn't be that low in that case :).

TE
11-30-2010, 01:26 AM
Won't happen.

objective
11-30-2010, 02:15 AM
I can't imagine Portland would trade Batum.

Regardless, a straight up Blair for Batum would work under the trade rules, their salaries are close enough.

Bruno
12-20-2010, 04:30 PM
In today's french newspaper "L'équipe", there was an article about Batum maybe being traded. The last sentence of the article was "Spurs, who have missed him by one spot in the 2008 draft, have never stopped to closely follow the young Frenchman..." .

:stirpot:

benefactor
12-20-2010, 05:46 PM
Anderson straight up for Batum? Spurs get their man and Blazers get a nice prospect in Anderson and save a little cash in the process.

HarlemHeat37
12-20-2010, 05:57 PM
Batum has been really disappointing this season, but I would still do that trade, his potential with the Spurs would be intriguing..

Bruno
12-20-2010, 06:13 PM
Portland has a disabled player exception they got for Oden. They must use it before December 30th and this exception is just big enough to get Bonner or Splitter. Both would help Portland. Bonner would be their backup PF behind Aldridge and Splitter would be welcomed with Camby going older.

I don't say that Blazers would trade straight up Batum for Bonner but that they need bigmen and Spurs have too much PF/C. Spurs and Blazers could be good trade partners.

yavozerb
12-20-2010, 06:13 PM
I recently saw a report on hoopshype that Batum + Pryz were offered to the sixers for iggy..Sixers refused this trade, but if true, the blazers obviously think very highly of Batum and have a very high asking price...

Bruno
12-20-2010, 06:16 PM
Batum's trade stock is also a lot hurt by his shoulder troubles. He had surgery to fix it but he still regularly miss games because of it. It is as much as a timebomb as Blair lack of ACLs.

yavozerb
12-20-2010, 06:16 PM
Portland has a disabled player exception they got for Oden. They must use it before December 30th and this exception is just big enough to get Bonner or Splitter. Both would help Portland. Bonner would be their backup PF behind Aldridge and Splitter would be welcomed with Camby going older.

I don't say that Blazers would trade straight up Batum for Bonner but that they need bigmen and Spurs have too much PF/C. Spurs and Blazers could be good trade partners.

Bruno seriously, Bonner for Batum. CMON MAN....

kobyz
12-20-2010, 06:19 PM
Splitter for Batum trade would be fantastic for us, and it may be realistic!

Bruno
12-20-2010, 06:22 PM

:lol

I'm just saying that a Bonner+Anderson package would be more intriguing for the Blazers than just Anderson.

Mel_13
12-20-2010, 06:33 PM

If the Blazers use their disabled player exception to acquire Bonner, does that generate a 3M TPE for the Spurs?

Bruno
12-20-2010, 06:40 PM
If the Blazers use their disabled player exception to acquire Bonner, does that generate a 3M TPE for the Spurs?

Yes, it does. A TE is generated on the Spurs side.

Mel_13
12-20-2010, 06:42 PM
Yes, it does. A TE is generated on the Spurs side.

:toast

Thanks, Bruno.

rayray2k8
12-20-2010, 06:45 PM
Bonner and Anderson for Batum I would do, but if Splitter is involved Spurs fans will regret they day this happens..

benefactor
12-20-2010, 06:46 PM
Getting that exception + Batum would be a sweet deal for the Spurs...but it's fantasy. Bonner isn't going anywhere.

Mel_13
12-20-2010, 06:56 PM
Getting that exception + Batum would be a sweet deal for the Spurs...but it's fantasy. Bonner isn't going anywhere.

Probably not, but the possibilities with that exception make it a little more interesting to speculate.

Let's say that the Knicks are willing to move Chandler or Randolph for a first round pick, but they won't take Bonner in return because of what he does to their cap space next summer. Now, the Spurs can offer the TE and a first rounder.

So Bonner, Anderson, and a first rounder for Batum and Chandler.

The good thing about this line of speculation is that it ends on 12/30 when Portland's exception expires.

yavozerb
12-20-2010, 06:56 PM

Thank you...Pop is way to in love with Bonner to let this happen. Now Blair...

Ditty
12-20-2010, 06:57 PM
A 1st round pick & a future 1st round pick could get it done maybe or throw in Bonner I really don't want too get rid of Spliiter and maybe the Spurs could use a TE to go after Ryan Anderson, I like that kid to replace Bonner.

Bruno
12-20-2010, 07:26 PM
I also wouldn't trade Splitter to get Batum.

Even if Batum isn't part of the deal, trading Bonner to Portland for their DPE would be great. Spurs could get a littler something from Portland like a pick or the rights to one of their Euro player. The TE generated could be damn useful. Saying that, Pop loves too much Bonner so it won't happen.

yavozerb
12-20-2010, 07:34 PM
Dont the Blazers own the rights to Claver? If so, that would be a great added bonus if he can be had

Thompson
12-20-2010, 10:50 PM
I definitely don't want to give up on Splitter this early; the Blair trade I would consider.

SenorSpur
12-21-2010, 01:23 AM
In today's french newspaper "L'équipe", there was an article about Batum maybe being traded. The last sentence of the article was "Spurs, who have missed him by one spot in the 2008 draft, have never stopped to closely follow the young Frenchman..." .

:stirpot:

Thanks for posting this. Ah, the one that got away. Quite frankly, I personally have never stopped following him either.

Once a seemingly untouchable piece, the struggles of the Blazers seem to have mandated that almost everyone is potentially "in play". With the emergence of Wesley Matthews, as a starter, combined with the struggles this kid is having adjusting to his bench role, it appears Batum may now be gettable. For that matter, he was struggling mightily even as a starter. Seems like he's regressed since his breakout year last year. He really struggled in the game versus the Spurs a week or so ago.

Nevertheless, I'd do this trade too. Batum is still he's a superb, upper-echelon defender, with superior athleticism, and 3-pt range. All of which are tangible skills the Spurs could use more of. Like some have already stated, I wouldn't part with Splitter to make it happen. I don't know what it would take to pry him away from the Blazers. I love Anderson, but if some combination of him or Bonner or a future 1st is what's required to make this happen - the Spurs should go for it.

Imagine a young core of Hill, Splitter, Blair, Neal and Batum. :hat

SenorSpur
12-21-2010, 01:24 AM
Dont the Blazers own the rights to Claver? If so, that would be a great added bonus if he can be had

They sure do. IIRC, I believe they took him in the '09 draft.

SenorSpur
12-21-2010, 01:27 AM
I know spurs have a small trade exception and 1st round pick they can work with. I would trade batum for that but doubt blazers would want that unless spurs include another future 1st rounder cuz this years 1st rounder wouldn't be that low in that case :).

Blazers are always out to hit a "home run" with practically every trade they make. It's their M.O. Since they've always been attracted to the idea of stockpiling picks, I'm sure they would want a 1st rounder thrown in. Dont' know how that would work though. However if I'm the Spurs and giving in a 1st rounder and a player, I'd better get back Batum and another asset. The Victor Claver thing is intriguing.

SenorSpur
12-21-2010, 01:29 AM

Pop would never trade his prized pony.

Darkwaters
12-21-2010, 04:02 AM
Batum in play again? I'm very intrigued by this. I do think it would be a shame to trade Anderson so early though. With only six games as a Spur under his belt hes only scratched the very beginnings of the surface.

mountainballer
12-21-2010, 06:39 AM
why would the Blazers ask for Anderson, when their #1 and #2 and #3 problem is front court depth? so they will want Blair.
currently they are reduced to 1 and a half healthy FC players (Aldridge and Cunningham), Camby has a hurt shoulder, Przybilla is out for some games again (and looked like a 3rd stringer at best in his few games for the Blazers). and Odens career is in limbo anyhow.
so if the Blazers are willing to give up Batum, it will be for a big man.
Blair for Batum is an interesting option for both teams IMO, considering that currently the Blazers need Blair more than the Spurs need Batum, the Spurs might even be able to get some more out of this trade.
(can't tell if I would do it, but it's worth to evaluate the scenario)

Darkwaters
12-21-2010, 09:49 AM
Honestly I'd probably sacrifice Blair to get Batum. Especially if we could get some nice filler and incentive. Claver? Freeland? 2nd rounder?

Then the Spurs just need to sign an unemployed big or waivee for depth and they look damn nice.

Darkwaters
12-21-2010, 10:17 AM
http://www.realgm.com/src_tradechecker/3/

Blair for Batum straight up works. Work cash, picks, rights and other filler as needed.

Bruno
12-21-2010, 10:41 AM
After the knees issues Blazers have had, I don't see them being interested in a player without ACLs.
If Blazers are interested in one of Spurs bigman, it would be Bonner or Splitter.

SenorSpur
12-21-2010, 11:04 AM
After the knees issues Blazers have had, I don't see them being interested in a player without ACLs.
If Blazers are interested in one of Spurs bigman, it would be Bonner or Splitter.

Agree...and I'm positive they would demand Splitter. Because they are already injury-ravaged along the frontline, I would bet that the Blazers top priority would be a big that can play on the block. I can't seem them having any use for a stretch-4, like Bonner.

mountainballer
12-21-2010, 11:45 AM
Agree...and I'm positive they would demand Splitter. Because they are already injury-ravaged along the frontline, I would bet that the Blazers top priority would be a big that can play on the block. I can't seem them having any use for a stretch-4, like Bonner.

agree and disagree. they will prefer a post player, but they do as well have some use for a shooting big. behind Aldridge and Camby, who both can play the 4 and 5, there is that much of a quality drop in all FC areas, that even Bonner could find his niche. but I doubt they want an average player like Bonner on a 4 years contract. for Batum they can get either a better, or a cheaper player back.
btw. haven't the Blazers also been mentioned in some of the Varejao rumors some weeks back? Batum and Przybilla for Varejao would make a lot of sense for both teams IMO.

Thompson
12-21-2010, 11:49 AM
I would definitely trade Splitter for Batum. I would not do it for Claver. Claver is a very average player, much like Splitter is. Except Splitter is a center and can defend better.

Are you crazy? What are we going to do when we go up against tall teams in the playoffs (Lakers, Mavs, Celtics)? Hope that 6'5" Blair will suddenly start scoring over 7'1" Gasol, even though players that size have been consistently stuffing him lately? How's he going to defend Gasol?

Unless you're volunteering to pull a Tonya Harding on every opposing team's center in the playoffs, we need Splitter or someone his size.

SenorSpur
12-21-2010, 01:23 PM
Unless you're volunteering to pull a Tonya Harding on every opposing team's center in the playoffs, we need Splitter or someone his size.

:rollin

All laughter aside, it's still a good point. As much as I love Blair for his rebounding prowess, desire and energy, I'm afraid he will be rendered as a huge non-factor versus those taller frontlines.

That said, no way the Spurs ship out Splitter - for any reason.

mountainballer
12-21-2010, 01:51 PM

on the other hand, Blair hasn't missed a single NBA game yet and hasn't missed a single college game as well. quite different record than Batum's injury history.
(ok, considering the Blazers karma Blair might blow his knees when getting of the plane in Portland)

Blackjack
12-21-2010, 02:45 PM
on the other hand, Blair hasn't missed a single NBA game yet and hasn't missed a single college game as well. quite different record than Batum's injury history.
(ok, considering the Blazers karma Blair might blow his knees when getting of the plane in Portland)

On the other hand, you can't injure what you don't have.

Blair may be the answer to their big man riddle, woes. :downspin:

Darkwaters
12-22-2010, 02:41 AM
Claver is as average of a player as it gets. Freeland is as soft as butter and extremely undersized. I would not trade Splitter, nor Blair for either of them. I would however trade either of them (preferably Splitter) for Batum though.

First off, I wasn't advocating trading Blair for one of those players straight up. Thats just silly. But as toss in's, they could be nice sweeteners to interest the Spurs.

Also, Freeland isn't really undersized at 6'10/6'11. He isn't huge, but I wouldn't say hes undersized.

Darkwaters
12-22-2010, 02:46 AM
On the other hand, you can't injure what you don't have.

Blair may be the answer to their big man riddle, woes. :downspin:

No, now you just have to worry about his tibial collateral ligaments.

Weakened ACL's (or missing) just means more strain on the MCL.

Big P
12-26-2010, 06:22 PM
Bonner for Batum I would do! No need to give up Blair or Splitter...Batum will be disgruntled in a year or two & will be looking for his way out...he said he only wanted to play for SA before the draft...I take him at his word!

TheProfessor
12-30-2010, 11:23 AM
I know, it's Hoopsworld (Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=18327#ixzz19c2pHGl4), but it doesn't stop me from salivating over the idea that Batum might be available:

The player that the Timberwolves truly covet is Portland Trail Blazers forward Nicolas Batum. They really like his game and potential in their system, but are less than optimistic about their chances to acquire him due to how much he's valued by the Blazers and their reluctance to let go of Love or Beasley. They also happen to be just one of several teams who would love to deal for Batum, so there would be a lot of competition if the Blazers were to put him on the market.

ChuckD
12-30-2010, 12:37 PM
I know, it's Hoopsworld (Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=18327#ixzz19c2pHGl4), but it doesn't stop me from salivating over the idea that Batum might be available:

I'd trade Beasley for Batum in a second. Beasley is a low BBIQ player who is a volume shooter. Batum has a chance to be special as a complete player.

Darkwaters
12-30-2010, 02:32 PM
Yea, because thats what Minnesota really needs....another SF!

jjktkk
12-30-2010, 03:56 PM
Per CN/SI's Chris Maddox, Maddox predicts the Blazers will blow their team up and build around Aldridge and Mathews.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/chris_mannix/12/28/2011.nba.predictions/index.html#

DesignatedT
12-30-2010, 04:36 PM
I'm not really willing to get rid of anyone on this current squad tbh... except Udoka and Quinn obviously.

Danny.Zhu
01-01-2011, 05:09 AM
Do it...

Bonner+whatever picks we have or don't have.....

ChumpDumper
01-01-2011, 05:25 AM
Do it...

Bonner+whatever picks we have or don't have.....Wow, Bonner.

How could they refuse?

Bruno
01-01-2011, 01:56 PM
Even if Blazers decide to reload their team, keeping Batum seems to be a logical move.

If I were Blazers Gm, I would shut down Roy for the year, trade Camby and Miller for exprirings and prospects and tank the season to get a good lottery pick. Blazers also have tons of young players. They need to figure out who is a keeper or who should be traded.

SenorSpur
01-01-2011, 03:53 PM
Ah, it was just a mere three years ago, this Blazers team was being touted as the "team of the future". Now it's all gone up in smoke, underneath a pile of injuries, transactions and underachievement.

I agree that the Blazers DO love Batum and will probably hold onto him as part of their future. Though I would hope if he's somehow made available, the Spurs can offer up something in exchange.

Spursfanfromafar
01-01-2011, 04:26 PM
Ah, it was just a mere three years ago, this Blazers team was being touted as the "team of the future". Now it's all gone up in smoke, underneath a pile of injuries, transactions and underachievement.

I agree that the Blazers DO love Batum and will probably hold onto him as part of their future. Though I would hope if he's somehow made available, the Spurs can offer up something in exchange.

Yeah.. its sad actually. It all started though with the Darius Miles contract nullifying incident..and then ..it's been all way down for the Blazers with the unfortunate injuries and more.

However, vis-a-vis Batum, every media rumor on trades suggest that the Blazers have shot down any talk on moving Batum for whatever he is worth.. So, it is not going to happen.

OTOH, Camby and Miller are in the trade zone.. the former seems to not have liked the prospects of packing his suitcases again, it seems.. and that means that he is indeed on the move soon.

Libri
01-17-2011, 12:26 AM
Trail Blazers: Don't expect any of those Nicolas Batum trade rumors to become reality

http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2011/01/trail_blazers_dont_expect_any.html

Libri
01-17-2011, 12:44 AM
According to that article, Batum is basically untouchable unless a team has a lot to offer.

admiralsnackbar
01-17-2011, 06:20 AM
According to that article, Batum is basically untouchable unless a team has a lot to offer.

Trouble is, they seem to feel that way about most of their players! :lol

There's no question that it's a talented bunch, but if things aren't working and they have ambitions to compete at some point in the near future, they need to stop waiting for unbalanced trade scenarios to favor them and get down to brass tacks (which isn't to say that I think we have a ghost's chance to nab Batum, JMO)

Thomas82
05-24-2011, 12:54 AM
I wonder if they would consider trading him now that they have Gerald Wallace.

ChuckD
05-24-2011, 07:10 AM
I wonder if they would consider trading him now that they have Gerald Wallace.

They'll have to wait to hire a new GM. Paul Allen just fired Cho in the last few days, less than a year into his contract.

Thomas82
05-24-2011, 08:32 AM
They'll have to wait to hire a new GM. Paul Allen just fired Cho in the last few days, less than a year into his contract.

Yeah I heard about that......hopefully the new GM won't deem Nic Batum untouchable like the ones before him did.

SenorSpur
05-24-2011, 09:16 AM
3 General Managers in less than one year? It's an absolute joke. As long as Paul Allen, and his yes men (the Vulcanites) are calling the shots, no GM, worth his salt, will want to go there and work because he will have NO automony or decision-making authority.

Good luck Blazers. Go ahead and ship us Nic Batum. He doesn't deserve to undergo the mess of this instability.

Bruno
05-24-2011, 10:09 AM
Blazers has a big hole at the PG spot. Andre Miller is 35 years old and they don't have single good point guard behind him. Providing they don't see Hill as an undersized SG, they can be really interested in him.

There is a simple trade that can be done after June 16: Hill and Green for Batum. You can also imagine more complicate scenarios like Hill and Bonner for Batum and Babbitt or Williams.

yavozerb
05-24-2011, 10:38 AM
I have stated this before, but I would not mind trading TP for Batum+one year rental for Miller (only has 1 year on contract left if picked up)..The problem with my trade though is RJ would have to have a destination somewhere cause you cannot have that salary sitting on the bench most of the game. Both starting lineups would be:
SAS- Miller, Manu, Batum, TD, Splitter - This lineup gets much bigger is more a half-court offense once again..
Port- TP,Mathews,Wallace, ALdridge, Camby - This lineup looks sick and pretty much run any team in NBA off the floor with fast breaks..

Just a thought

elemento
05-24-2011, 10:43 AM
I wouldn't

Parker has much more value than Batum and Miller's corpse. We would miss a lot Parker, especially the scoring part, because Miller can't shoot to save his life.

The only trade for Batum that i would consider is a Hill/Batum swap.

Mel_13
05-24-2011, 11:17 AM
I have stated this before, but I would not mind trading TP for Batum+one year rental for Miller (only has 1 year on contract left if picked up)..The problem with my trade though is RJ would have to have a destination somewhere cause you cannot have that salary sitting on the bench most of the game. Both starting lineups would be:
SAS- Miller, Manu, Batum, TD, Splitter - This lineup gets much bigger is more a half-court offense once again..
Port- TP,Mathews,Wallace, ALdridge, Camby - This lineup looks sick and pretty much run any team in NBA off the floor with fast breaks..

Just a thought

Use the amnesty that the new will probably have to waive RJ. May as well since this is little more than a salary dump of Tony's contract. There's an argument to be made to go in that direction, but I don't like it.

I wouldn't

Parker has much more value than Batum and Miller's corpse. We would miss a lot Parker, especially the scoring part, because Miller can't shoot to save his life.

The only trade for Batum that i would consider is a Hill/Batum swap.

Yeah, if they're going to trade Tony, I'd like to see them get something approaching fair value in return. If Tony is to be traded, the target has to be a big, not a SF.

yavozerb
05-24-2011, 11:31 AM
Use the amnesty that the new will probably have to waive RJ. May as well since this is little more than a salary dump of Tony's contract. There's an argument to be made to go in that direction, but I don't like it.

Yeah, if they're going to trade Tony, I'd like to see them get something approaching fair value in return. If Tony is to be traded, the target has to be a big, not a SF.

Ya, I would agree that a big would be top priority, but how many teams have good bigs and better yet what teams would want to get rid of the rarest type player in the NBA..Batum is young, still very good contract, fills a need, and in my opinion has all-star caliber ceiling.

Mel_13
05-24-2011, 11:59 AM
Ya, I would agree that a big would be top priority, but how many teams have good bigs and better yet what teams would want to get rid of the rarest type player in the NBA..Batum is young, still very good contract, fills a need, and in my opinion has all-star caliber ceiling.

I understand where you're going and there is definitely a good argument to go in that direction. I'd rather see them get something closer to full value in return, but I wouldn't be upset to see them start the rebuilding by shedding a long-term contract and getting a good young player in return.

Muser
05-24-2011, 12:02 PM
Good god does Spurfan think so lightly of TP that they'd trade him and his great contract for a one year rental of Andre Miller?

yavozerb
05-24-2011, 02:49 PM
Good god does Spurfan think so lightly of TP that they'd trade him and his great contract for a one year rental of Andre Miller?

Good god does Muser never read an entire post before replying? Miller+Batum does 2 things:1. It provides a 22 year old SF who is already an above average NBA player who is only owed 5 mil. for 2 more years. 2. Miller is included to simply close the deal financially and is still an average NBA pg. 3. With millers deal onl for 1 year this deal would free up at least 26 mil. over the next 2 seasons.

I am happy with TP running the show but if he does indeed get trades I want more than a player that replaces his skill level. I want either large cap relief or young prospects or both..

outmap
05-24-2011, 08:31 PM
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=3u68ppl

Buddy Holly
05-25-2011, 01:26 AM
Tony and Richard for Batum, Camby and Miller.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=3dhrblq

Thomas82
05-26-2011, 08:38 AM
3 General Managers in less than one year? It's an absolute joke. As long as Paul Allen, and his yes men (the Vulcanites) are calling the shots, no GM, worth his salt, will want to go there and work because he will have NO automony or decision-making authority.

Good luck Blazers. Go ahead and ship us Nic Batum. He doesn't deserve to undergo the mess of this instability.

Also, let's not forget that San Antonio is where Nic Batum wanted to be all along.

Muser
05-26-2011, 08:54 AM
Good god does Muser never read an entire post before replying? Miller+Batum does 2 things:1. It provides a 22 year old SF who is already an above average NBA player who is only owed 5 mil. for 2 more years. 2. Miller is included to simply close the deal financially and is still an average NBA pg. 3. With millers deal onl for 1 year this deal would free up at least 26 mil. over the next 2 seasons.

I am happy with TP running the show but if he does indeed get trades I want more than a player that replaces his skill level. I want either large cap relief or young prospects or both..

So you want to blow the team up basically? In 2 seasons Duncan will be gone and it will be time to rebuild.

yavozerb
05-26-2011, 09:04 AM
So you want to blow the team up basically? In 2 seasons Duncan will be gone and it will be time to rebuild.

Sorry, but I do not think by weakining one position and strengthening another is blowing up a team. Miller-Manu-Batum-Duncan-Splitter as a starting 5 next season would hardly be blowing up a team and in fact I would gurantee 50+ win season again. I would rather the spurs do a gradual rebuild by bringing in young players now than a complete rebuild in 2-3 years. Trading parker would bring back a very good young prospect and would save the spurs $ as well as to pursue good young NBA fa's. With all this said I think the possibilty of trading parker is less than 10% so I am tired of talking about it.

Chomag
05-26-2011, 09:06 AM
I still would love to have this guy on the team but it still holds true that Portland is the last team in the NBA to ever deal with the Spurs. Maybe there attitude towards the Spurs have changed with their new GM changes over the past year, I hope so.

elemento
05-26-2011, 12:07 PM
At this point I do not see all-star potential in Batum. Aldridge played out of his mind this season and could not make it. A lot of great forwards could not make it.

Batum started most of the year this season and did show any kind of all-star ceiling.

12.4/4.5/1.5 playing 31.5mpg. It is Dick Jefferson numbers.

He regressed IMO. All his percentages decreased and his numbers did not increase as much as you would expect playing more minutes as a starter. And Portland fans complain a lot about Batum playing way too passive, the same kind of complaints we have about Hill.

I would never trade Parker for Batum. The "Pippen" potential is totally delusional. I know many Spurs fans have a crush on him, but he does not have this kind of value.

I am not against trading Parker, but not for this kind of value.

Bruno
05-26-2011, 12:43 PM
A Parker to Blazers trade without Aldridge going to SA is a bad trade. It's as simple as that.

Bruno
05-26-2011, 01:44 PM
An Aldrige to anyone trade without Blake Griffin, Dwight Howard, [insert young player] going back to Portland would be a bad trade.

So, I guess Spurs and Blazers aren't good trade partners for a trade that feature Parker which isn't at all a problem given that keeping Parker is a damn good option for Spurs.

Bruno
05-26-2011, 06:14 PM
Exactly. Trading Parker is really the best option, but keeping Parker is the best option as well.

No, it is the worst option.

Unless you get an amazing offer, you don't trade the player who has been your starting PG for 10 years, who has been great in this decade, with who you've had a lot of success, who has still something left in the tank, who is under a reasonable contract and who wants to stay with the team.

I don't know why you are so eager with trading Parker for years but, like it or not, trading him makes very few sense for Spurs.

TDMVPDPOY
05-26-2011, 06:36 PM
parker for aldridge? dont think blazers are on crack man

trade parker for batum + rudy

admiralsnackbar
05-26-2011, 06:42 PM

If this were to hypothetically go through somehow, who would play PG next year? (And beyond that: what's the point of replacing a strong link at a fair price with two so-so links?)

elemento
05-26-2011, 07:18 PM

parker for batum + rudy ? dont think spurs are on crack man

outmap
05-26-2011, 08:25 PM
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=3u68ppl

Everybody wins:

Portland gets size.
C - Oden, Diop
PF - Aldridge, White
SF - Wallace, Jefferson
SG - Roy, Matthews
PG - Miller, Mills

Charlotte gets even talent:
C - Camby, Pryzbilla
PF - Blair, Diaw
SF - Jackson, Livingston
SG - Fernandez, Anderson
PG - Agustin, Henderson

Spurs get athletic:
C - Duncan, Splitter, Richards
PF - Thomas, Bonner, Richards
SF - Batum, Butler, Green
SG - Manu, Neal, Green
PG - Parker, Hill, Neal

Every team's gonna be happy. :)

ace3g
10-20-2011, 10:33 AM
TP wants Spurs to finally obtain old friend Nicolas Batum

With Batum as a restricted 2012 free agent, Parker said on his weekly radio show in France that he would be an ideal addition to the Spurs.

“My dream? Spurs signing Nicolas Batum. Nico knows the story, he knows that the Spurs were getting to draft him. I was going crazy, it was the first time I was attending the draft. We were gonna play together until the Blazers messed up. I really want the Spurs to sign him as a free agent.”

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/10/20/tp-wants-spurs-to-finally-pick-up-old-friend-nicolas-batum/

tp2021
10-20-2011, 10:51 AM
So much for CIA, Tony!

TDMVPDPOY
10-20-2011, 11:54 AM
smart guy, sign batum so he can defend the mayo who torched his ass

mountainballer
11-11-2011, 04:56 PM
currently the best player in the Euroleague.
(ok, I ignored the TOs, outside this he is producing Lebron numbers)

romain.star
11-11-2011, 04:59 PM
currently the best player in the world.
(ok, I ignored the TOs, outside this he is producing Lebron numbers)

fixed

yavozerb
01-06-2012, 11:03 AM
http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2012/01/agent_for_nicolas_batum_set_to_meet_with_trail_bla .html

elemento
01-06-2012, 11:12 AM
He will be massively overpaid. Something like Afflalo's contract.

Mel_13
01-06-2012, 01:12 PM

Yep. Batum won't take less than Affalo's 5yr/43M extension.

timvp
01-06-2012, 01:28 PM
Batum is hard to figure. Sometimes he looks like a superstar in the making but then he goes long stretches looking really average. And while he looks like he should be a great defender, his advanced defensive metrics are horrible. He gives up a ton of points individually and the Blazers are always better on D when he's off the court.

That said, his main problem may just be that he's not really a good fit on the Blazers. They have too much duplicate talent and Batum would be a better fit on a team that relies on a penetrate and kick offense.

Next summer, another team may give him $45 million with the idea that they'll build around him and play to his strengths. In that scenario, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he lives up the contract. But if he stays with the Blazers, he just doesn't have the chance to reach his potential and probably wouldn't be worth that much money.

yavozerb
01-06-2012, 01:43 PM

Yep. Batum won't take less than Affalo's 5yr/43M extension.

Batum is hard to figure. Sometimes he looks like a superstar in the making but then he goes long stretches looking really average. And while he looks like he should be a great defender, his advanced defensive metrics are horrible. He gives up a ton of points individually and the Blazers are always better on D when he's off the court.

That said, his main problem may just be that he's not really a good fit on the Blazers. They have too much duplicate talent and Batum would be a better fit on a team that relies on a penetrate and kick offense.

Next summer, another team may give him $45 million with the idea that they'll build around him and play to his strengths. In that scenario, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he lives up the contract. But if he stays with the Blazers, he just doesn't have the chance to reach his potential and probably wouldn't be worth that much money.

With all that said Batum still will only be 23 years old this offseason..Blazers are going to re-up Wallace and resign Felton for big bucks, But they still should have plenty of $ to offer a contract similar to Affalo and still be alright in finding some inside players as well.

elemento
01-06-2012, 03:48 PM
The problem in Batum is his mindset.

He has all the tools to be a top 5 SF in this league. He is still young, he is athletic, he can shoot from from deep, he is a good defender and his size is pretty good. The problem is that he doesn't have the "alpha" mentality to be a star in this league. When he is aggressive he is nice, but most of the time he is just way too passive. He has the same problem that Hill had while he was here.

His thing is pretty much defend (and he can defend multiple positions) and wait for the corner 3, something that we've been looking for after Bowen left.

Some Blazer fans feel he can be a star in this league, but i really don't see this happening. He is a good role player and that's about it.

yavozerb
01-14-2012, 10:04 AM
http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2012/01/the_trail_blazers_meet_with_nicolas_batums_agent_t .html

Batum has been struggling of late so this may complicate things on his extension..

Darkwaters
01-14-2012, 01:36 PM
Source: Blazers Submit 'Low-Ball' Offer To Batum
Jan 14, 2012 10:31 AM EST

Representatives for Nicolas Batum, met with Blazers' management in San Antonio on Friday.

A source close to the negotiations said the Blazers made a “low-ball offer” to Nicolas Batum and that sides are “very far apart" and "no progress was made."

Bouna Ndiaye, Batum's agent, said that the sides would meet Friday for their second negotiation session and would be back at it for their third session after the Blazers' 6-game road trip.

However, the same source has said things have changed and that Batum's camp will not request another meeting if the Blazers don't move up from their number by Jan. 23.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/218278/Source_Blazers_Submit_Low_Ball_Offer_To_Batum#ixzz 1jSWJMr8s

yavozerb
01-14-2012, 05:09 PM

Representatives for Nicolas Batum, met with Blazers' management in San Antonio on Friday.

A source close to the negotiations said the Blazers made a “low-ball offer” to Nicolas Batum and that sides are “very far apart" and "no progress was made."

Bouna Ndiaye, Batum's agent, said that the sides would meet Friday for their second negotiation session and would be back at it for their third session after the Blazers' 6-game road trip.

However, the same source has said things have changed and that Batum's camp will not request another meeting if the Blazers don't move up from their number by Jan. 23.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/218278/Source_Blazers_Submit_Low_Ball_Offer_To_Batum#ixzz 1jSWJMr8s

I would love to see Leonard and Batum on the floor together next season..Defense would be among the best with these 2 on the floor together

ForeignFan
01-15-2012, 01:43 PM

There was a second meeting before the game vs Houston where apparently no big progress was made.
BTW Batum had his best game of the season vs Houston. Trying to make a point? :stirpot:

Bruno
01-15-2012, 02:04 PM
What I read on newspaper is that Blazers are offering him between $6M and $7M per year. In addition of wanting more money, Batum also wants to have playing time and play a big role.

I think Spurs are way less interested in Batum than in the past. Spurs have found their SF with Kawhi Leonard.

yavozerb
01-15-2012, 03:22 PM
What I read on newspaper is that Blazers are offering him between $6M and $7M per year. In addition of wanting more money, Batum also wants to have playing time and play a big role.

I think Spurs are way less interested in Batum than in the past. Spurs have found their SF with Kawhi Leonard.

I agree there interest is way down but the spurs will also have alot of $ to spend this summer. If no big man is found then I can see the spurs go after a player like Batum who would help out on defense ALOT..

ChuckD
01-15-2012, 03:53 PM
His best year was his second season. His FG/3G% numbers have been dropping since then, outside of what appears to be an aberration in his 3 point shooting for a short sample of this season to date in fewer attempts per game. I don't think he's even worth their low ball offer. I think they have a deadline to give him a QO for next season coming up, and I think they'll make the QO, just so he can't run off in a huff to another team for less money this summer, but he will leave in 2013. Guys who accept their year 5 QO almost always do.

timvp
01-15-2012, 04:02 PM
At this point, I'd be against giving Batum more than $7 million per season. His upward trajectory just hasn't been too impressive, and while I think that could mostly be due to being in a bad situation in Portland where he's not a very good fit, it'd be too much of a risk. In a rebuilding scenario, you just can't afford to spend that type of money unless you are 99% sure the player is a long-term quality starter.

Speaking of Batum, am I the only one who thinks his eventual position will be power forward? It seems like his lateral speed is diminishing, but with a bit of added bulk, he should be able to transition into a stretch 4 role. IMO, Batum is following the Robert Horry career path.

Redshadows
01-16-2012, 05:03 AM
The Spurs could put Leonard at SG and Batum at SF. But it is really difficult for the Spurs to get him. The Blazers would not give him up for nothing especially when Wallace hadn't signed a expanded contract.
The only way to get him, IMO, is that Batum signed a one-year-contract with Blazers and the Spurs got him in 2013.

TDMVPDPOY
01-16-2012, 05:33 AM
looks like another trevor ariza in the making to me...

venitian navigator
01-16-2012, 05:53 AM
Batum has been undoubtedly stealed from us in the draft, probably thanks to the "Spurs know how" that Pritchard took in Portland.
I really think he could be a very good player for us, 'cause he's young, play defense, shoot the three and, more than all, looks like he could be versatile enough to play two roles (sf and pf a la Horry style) in the long run, being a perfect complement to Leonard.

This could be the best moment to trade him , considering the struggles in the re-signing talks with Portland...that said, I feel it will be really difficult to find the pieces that Portland could like for a trade...

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-16-2012, 06:28 AM
This could be the best moment to trade him , considering the struggles in the re-signing talks with Portland...that said, I feel it will be really difficult to find the pieces that Portland could like for a trade...

They'll want Leonard. I'd rather not swap them, especially as Batum will still be looking for a big payday.

Mel_13
01-16-2012, 11:29 AM
They'll want Leonard. I'd rather not swap them, especially as Batum will still be looking for a big payday.

Exactly.

There's a slight possibility that the Spurs would have enough cap space next summer to make the sort of offer that could get Batum, but if they had that kind of money available it would be stupid to buy a SF rather than a big.

intlspurshk
01-16-2012, 01:33 PM
He looks like Hedo II. Very good at physical and skill in terms of talents but always lack the last piece of puzzle to become a star.

ace3g
01-24-2012, 06:30 PM
@BlazerFreeman Joe Freeman
The #Blazers and Batum's agent, Bouna Ndiaye, met face-to-face Monday and continue to talk today. Deadline to reach deal is 9 pm Wednesday.

https://twitter.com/#!/BlazerFreeman/statuses/161929517261258752

yavozerb
01-25-2012, 10:30 PM
hris Haynes, CSNNW.com Trail Blazers Insider (@ChrisBHaynes)

The Portland Trail Blazers fail to reach an agreement on a contract extension with forward Nicolas Batum and he'll become a restricted free agent this summer according to Batum's agent Bouna Ndiaye.

“We're still not talking and we're not willing to accept the offer the Blazers have proposed,” Ndiaye told CSNNW.com. “The game is about to start and we haven't heard anything. We will not accept the offer that is out there.”

CSNNW.com first reported that sides were “very far apart” and that the Blazers initial proposal was viewed by Ndiaye, as a “low-ball offer” according to one source.

Apparently, there was too much ground to make up to get a deal done.

The Blazers had up until 9 p.m. tonight to reach an an agreement with their coveted forward, now Batum will become a restricted free-agent on July 1.

Update: Batum's agent also had this to say.

"When Batum becomes a restricted free agent, we'll look at the other 29 teams before we talk to the Blazers," Batum's agent Bouna Ndiaye told CSNNW.com. "The Blazers had their chance."

Blazers president Larry Miller:

"Batum's agent has a right to test the market. We've let him know how much we value Batum as a player and a person and we still want him to be part of our organization going forward."

elemento
01-25-2012, 11:09 PM
He will be overpaid by a team looking for a SF and the Blazer won't match it. I am damn sure about it.

Bruno
01-26-2012, 01:53 AM
Batum is more suited to be a starter. He isn't a player who can come form the bench and have some impact. The best for him would to be find a team where he could get a starting spot. He won't grow as a player if he continues to be a bench player for the Blazers.

timtonymanu
01-26-2012, 01:56 AM
I would have wanted Batum if we didn't have Leonard. Plus Batum is going to be an expensive buy. I agree with Bruno. He's important to Portland but he can't continue to play behind Gerald Wallace. I don't expect him to come back to Portland.

mathbzh
01-26-2012, 02:21 AM
Batum is more suited to be a starter. He isn't a player who can come form the bench and have some impact. The best for him would to be find a team where he could get a starting spot. He won't grow as a player if he continues to be a bench player for the Blazers.

Maybe he could be a 6th man for Portland. But playing in the same unit as J. "Ballhog" Crawford is not exactly the best way to have him involved.

mountainballer
01-26-2012, 04:51 AM
I also think that the arrive of Leonard has killed the chance that Batum will become a Spur.
Spurs will need to invest the available money in a PF or Center anyhow.

SenorSpur
01-26-2012, 09:26 PM
It's obvious that Batum hasn't fared well in a reserve role. I agree with those who have stated that, had the Spurs not drafted Leonard, he would've been an ideal fit for the Spurs. I don't see that happening now. Besides, he'll be overpaid.

Bruno
02-23-2012, 01:30 PM
In today's French newspaper, there were an article about Batum's and Parker's good season. At the end of the article, the writer said that they could both end playing with Spurs next season because Spurs had the cap space to sign Batum as a FA. :stirpot:

DPG21920
02-23-2012, 01:34 PM
Lorbek & Batum. Start Batum at SG & Kawhi at SF.

TP/Batum/Kawhi/Lorbek/Tim

Neal/Manu/Green/Bonner/Tiago

ace3g
02-23-2012, 01:44 PM
I'd take an offseason of Lorbek and Batum

oh and Bruno if your Bold prediction comes true; Spurs would have 3 french players: Parker, Batum, and Diaw.

CGD
02-23-2012, 01:47 PM
Like the guy but Leonard is our future at the 3. He will start at that position next season. Spurs do need a back up 3 with RJs emminent departure, but batum it too high a profile (hence why spurs are probably looking at sandkise). Our cap money is better spent trying to overpay to pry RFA Lopez from Nets (or Magic).

yavozerb
02-23-2012, 02:24 PM
There is almost 0% chance the spurs will be able to get any of RFA big men this offseason. There is no reason both Batum and Leonard cannot play at the same time with leaonard in as the sg. I would be ok with a big man rotation of Lorbek,TD, Splitter,Blair, and Bonner for next season.

elemento
02-23-2012, 02:42 PM
i can't even listen to Batum's name. I always remember the Scola move.

If we had asked at least a 1st round pick from HOU in the Scola trade, Batum would have been a Spurs by now, just like our FO wanted 4 years ago. Not to mention that we wouldn't bring Dick freaking Jefferson with Batum here.

Fuck Batum. We have our future SF now.

CGD
02-23-2012, 02:45 PM
There is almost 0% chance the spurs will be able to get any of RFA big men this offseason.

Itll be tough hence why Spurs will have to over pay, but not impossible in the case of Lopez. Best thing that could happen is for orlando to decide they are going to be players in the DH sweepstakes. Then it pits Nets and Magic in a direct competition, where Nets would have to mull whether to match an offer for Lopez or not. Best scenario is where DH drags out his decision this summer, only to ultimately sign with Magic again (and take the 30 million only they can offer). Remember Nets will only have 3 days to decide whether they match an offer for Lopez.

Bruno
02-23-2012, 02:54 PM
oh and Bruno if your Bold prediction comes true...

There is a lot of wishful thinking behind it. While I'm not really a fan of Diaw, a player who can't even stay in decent shape, I hate having Blair as starting PF. It would truly sucks if Spurs don't have someone better than Blair to start alongside Duncan in the playoffs.

CGD
02-23-2012, 03:32 PM
Itll be tough hence why Spurs will have to over pay, but not impossible in the case of Lopez. Best thing that could happen is for orlando to decide they are going to be players in the DH sweepstakes. Then it pits Nets and Magic in a direct competition, where Nets would have to mull whether to match an offer for Lopez or not. Best scenario is where DH drags out his decision this summer, only to ultimately sign with Magic again (and take the 30 million only they can offer). Remember Nets will only have 3 days to decide whether they match an offer for Lopez.

Oh and I would add that under the new CBA, the sign-and trade loophole has been closed. So other than good will, there is no real reason for DH to agree to a sign and trade this summer that would ship López to Orlando, where they no doubt would match any offer he gets.