PDA

View Full Version : Sunglasses

Soul_Patch
06-22-2009, 02:01 PM
So help me out. I am determined to spend some money on a decent pair of sunglasses for a change. I want polarized, since i spend a good deal of my time at the coast and like to fish.

the first pair i bought were Maui Jim "Banyans" which i really liked a lot EXCEPT one flaw...the nose piece was visible just slightly in my field of view, and i could not get used to it. I wore them for a week, and decided i couldnt adapt and took them back.

I traded them in for some Oakley Antix in the Matte finish with polarized lenses. I am still not satisfied. They seem cheap and they are far from it (170 bucks). Also i am having the same problem with these as i do with cheap glasses. After a long day of wear, they hurt my head back above my ears. i think this is attributed to my big head, and the fact they have big arms.

I think i am going to return them tonight too...not sure what to go with now. Im considering looking at the titanium Maui Jims, since they are super light and i think the lenses are the best on the market, but they are too damn expensive...

What do you guys wear, or suggest?

phyzik
06-22-2009, 02:05 PM
The general rule of thumb for me is the more expensive they are, the sooner Im going to break or lose them so I stopped buying expensive sunglasses.

The best pair I ever owned though where Icicle's. They can take a beating.

http://www.icicleseyewear.com/site/index.cfm

http://www.icicleseyewear.com/images/site_images/AL-S1R-250.jpg

manufan10
06-22-2009, 02:06 PM
After a long day of wear, they hurt my head back above my ears.

That happens to me all the time too. It sucks! I've given up on sunglasses. I usually lose them or break them, but when I do buy some I go for Wal-Mart special.

Soul_Patch
06-22-2009, 02:08 PM
That happens to me all the time too. It sucks! I've given up on sunglasses. I usually lose them or break them, but when I do buy some I go for Wal-Mart special.

Been my MO for the past few years, but i have convinced myself now that i fi spend some money that it will be worth it in comfort and quality. so far, i havent been able to prove that.

I think i can avoid the loosing and breaking thing, but so far, i dont think i can find a pair of shades that live up to the hefty price tag.

manufan10
06-22-2009, 02:10 PM
Been my MO for the past few years, but i have convinced myself now that i fi spend some money that it will be worth it in comfort and quality. so far, i havent been able to prove that.

I think i can avoid the loosing and breaking thing, but so far, i dont think i can find a pair of shades that live up to the hefty price tag.

Well let me know if you find any, if they're comfortable, I may look into getting some myself.

Soul_Patch
06-22-2009, 02:12 PM
This is what i am looking at currently

https://mauijimssl.services.att-idns.net/wcsstore/MauiJimB2C/images/catalog/sunglass/LRG501-02.png

I just have a VERY hard time paying 259 dollars for some bent pieces of metal attached to glass. I am trying to determine where that 259 dollars is going....

Thunder Dan
06-22-2009, 02:12 PM
I have a couple pairs of Ray Bans I like, can't go wrong with Ray Ban

Wild Cobra
06-22-2009, 02:36 PM
I have a pair of prescription sun glasses that are amber. However the amber is so dark, they look black. Excellent driving glasses.

Dex
06-22-2009, 02:38 PM
I've never had a pair of sunglasses last more than 6 months without getting lost, crunched, or dropped in a river/lake. Which is generally why I never drop more than a 20 spot on them.

I'd rather have decent looking glasses that can be easily replaced than nice glasses that I'm constantly having to worry about.

Bender
06-22-2009, 02:40 PM
I paid less than $5 each for my last couple pairs. I don't need to impress anyone with a pair of overpriced Oakleys.

Dex
06-22-2009, 02:40 PM
And while we're on the topic..

http://girldir.com/files/images/sunglasses-summer-2008-colored.preview.jpg

Ladies, these things look fucking ridiculous.

Soul_Patch
06-22-2009, 02:45 PM
I paid less than $5 each for my last couple pairs. I don't need to impress anyone with a pair of overpriced Oakleys.

Flaw in your logic to think they are about impressing anyone. I just want something that help me sight cast to fish in the skinny water, and that i can wear for longer than 4 or 5 hours without feeling like i got frankenstien bolts in the sides of my dome. I would also like it if they dont fall apart in less than a month, which my last pair of walmart specials did.

Show me a pair of cheap glasses that can do that for me, and im all over them...

Btw, i also think Oakleys are overpriced. I paid 169.00 for the Antix i currently wear and they are NOT worth it. I would feel ok paying about 50 for them, but thats pushing it. Try on a pair of Maui Jim glasses, and tell me you dont notice a drastic difference in the lenses from the walmart shades you are used to. I didnt think it was possible, but it is.

to21
06-22-2009, 02:52 PM
Costa Del Mar for the water.

I paid $$$ for my Oakleys and that's because I can tell the difference between those and the cheepies (I have those also).

Bender
06-22-2009, 02:58 PM
Flaw in your logic to think they are about impressing anyone
wasn't talking to you specifically, soul_patch. Was more of a comment about the many people who have to have "big-name" sunglasses, for $200+. For no real reason, other than to be "cool".

the <$5 ones I buy are from "safety" companies, who sell impact-resistant, ANSI rated sunglasses... for construction work, riding motorcycles, at the shooting range, etc. They aren't polarized, either... yeah, those cost more, even at the places I buy from.

SnakeBoy
06-22-2009, 02:59 PM
These are the oakleys I use. Definitely overpriced but they're comfortable for me and they've held up...
http://www.amazon.com/Oakley-STRAIGHT-FISHING-SPECIFIC-Sunglasses/dp/B00266MPPY/ref=pd_sbs_a_6

CosmicCowboy
06-22-2009, 03:16 PM
For fishing IMHO you can't get any better than costa del mar expedition series.

http://www.costadelmar.com/store/Departments/Sunglasses/Expedition.aspx

Soul_Patch
06-22-2009, 03:22 PM
I tried on a pair of costa man-o-wars and chose the Maui Jims over them, mostly because of the lense. I think i may go back to the costa's though. I am hoping Sunglass Hut doesnt give me any flack about returning a second pair of glasses.

CosmicCowboy
06-22-2009, 03:30 PM
I tried on a pair of costa man-o-wars and chose the Maui Jims over them, mostly because of the lense. I think i may go back to the costa's though. I am hoping Sunglass Hut doesnt give me any flack about returning a second pair of glasses.

You realize you can order costas with different lenses and colors don't you? Check out the link I gave you. I like the bronze CR-39's for general use at the coast.

tlongII
06-22-2009, 05:31 PM
I think Maui Jims are the best.

Frenzy
06-22-2009, 05:45 PM
And while we're on the topic..

http://girldir.com/files/images/sunglasses-summer-2008-colored.preview.jpg

Ladies, these things look fucking ridiculous.

:downspin:

ATRAIN
06-22-2009, 06:52 PM
I think Maui Jims are the best.

I am totally a Oakley fan. I have 5 pairs right now, have owned 8 total since high school (2 got stolen and 1 broken). Maui Jims are slick though.....I might get me a pair soon, but the only thing is im not sure if they fit my face. I like the ones yours eyeing patch, I would go with those and they will be worth the price.

exstatic
06-22-2009, 07:23 PM
The Maui Jims are great, right up to the moment they break at the bend. I've had two pair, and it happened to both of them. I liked them, but that's a lot of moolah for sunglasses that last maybe two years.

I'm currently rocking an old school pair of tortoise shell Ray Ban Wayfarers.

chode_regulator
06-22-2009, 09:01 PM

https://mauijimssl.services.att-idns.net/wcsstore/MauiJimB2C/images/catalog/sunglass/LRG501-02.png

I just have a VERY hard time paying 259 dollars for some bent pieces of metal attached to glass. I am trying to determine where that 259 dollars is going....

^^^^This

Ive owned them and they were aweseome. I wish I had never sold htem. Costa Del Mar is pretty good, though Ive never owned them Ive used thema few times and they ahve a good lens.

I prefer RayBan. I own two pair right now and love both of them. One is a hard plastic frame with no bottoim half of the frame and 3 interchangeable lenses. The other is a metal frame again bottom half frameless. Both have polarized lenses. Lightweight and don't hurt after long hours of wearing them.

http://www.sunglasshut.com/sgh/catalog.jsp?brandId=25&cid=GL000000#view=pdp&sku=506484

My other pair arent on Sunglass hut website, may be discontinued as they are a few years old.

Soul_Patch
06-23-2009, 01:18 PM
I ended up going for another pair of Maui Jims. I still cant get over their lenses...best ive seen honestly.

this is what i got

https://mauijimssl.services.att-idns.net/wcsstore/MauiJimB2C/images/catalog/sunglass/LRHT208-02.png

The arms have springs in them which lessen the tension on my fat head...the wire frame glasses i listed earlier were great, just way too small looking on me.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-23-2009, 02:05 PM
i'm afraid to ask, but how much?

Soul_Patch
06-23-2009, 02:08 PM
209.99 :depressed

Viva Las Espuelas
06-23-2009, 02:10 PM
wow. i'll hold my comment on that.

Soul_Patch
06-23-2009, 02:44 PM
Its all about impressin the ladies mah friend.....

:)

SonOfAGun
06-23-2009, 03:15 PM
For fishing, I prefer Oakley Polarized M-Frames. I got the biggest goofiest lense shape that covers the most space on my face. The black polaraized works fine out on the water, but I have heard amber/bronze is best. I don't get the area above my ears hurting like I do with my Oakley Gascans.

About your head hurting, give it a month of regular sunglasses use. The body adapts and gets used to it. I can go about 4 hours with my Gascans before I have to adjust the glasses to reset the pain. :lol When I first got them I could only go 15 minutes.

Having owned 3 pairs of Oakley's, I will be the first to tell you they are grossly overpriced. The ONLY way I can mentally justify it is to have them for 5+ years. My first pair, halfjackets, were HORRIBLE quality and barely lasted 1 year. The M-Frames and Gascans have done me well for 2+ years now. They feel (weight wise) like they are constructed of .02 cent Chinese plastic (probably are), but I have been pretty amazed with these last two pairs.

Dex
06-23-2009, 03:19 PM
Just let me know how much tail you score because of your $200.00 sunglasses.

leemajors
06-23-2009, 03:19 PM
ross

Soul_Patch
06-23-2009, 03:25 PM
Just let me know how much tail you score because of your $200.00 sunglasses.

So far mark 1 for the shades, my wife was all over me last night...simply because of my shades...i aint got time for her though, since she has a kid, who strangely enough...resembles me...i need some strange....ya heard?

you want me to report back daily?...she likes to fuck alot...so this could end up being a long thread :(

all in all cool info on the glasses, i think im pretty satisfied with the MJs i bought. Hell i better be for the price...i still think i may be slightly foolish to think spending 2 bills will show equal results, but we shall see... ill be back down at the coast over the 4th of July weekend, so they will get a good work out on the bays, i think this green tint lense is going to make the water where i fish light up pretty nicely.

CosmicCowboy
06-23-2009, 03:44 PM
209.99 :depressed

Holy shit! I paid $50 for my Costa Del Mars...I was fishing a saltwater tournament that they sponsored and everyone that entered got a deal on glasses...

Ryvin1
06-24-2009, 01:18 PM

Got those for my wife she loved them, down side the lenses chip and hard to place when you aren't wear them as they bend and spring because of the arms. she now has these :
https://mauijimssl.services.att-idns.net/wcsstore/MauiJimB2C/images/catalog/sunglass/LRH511-16.png

I have these:
https://mauijimssl.services.att-idns.net/wcsstore/MauiJimB2C/images/catalog/sunglass/LRG162-02.png
https://mauijimssl.services.att-idns.net/wcsstore/MauiJimB2C/images/catalog/sunglass/LRG505-02.png

Love Maui Jim's, they are the best IMO.

EricB
06-24-2009, 03:06 PM
Oakleys for me.

I have about 3 different pairs and they are all awesome comfortable and block the sun out VERY well.

Dex
06-24-2009, 03:29 PM
So far mark 1 for the shades, my wife was all over me last night...simply because of my shades...i aint got time for her though, since she has a kid, who strangely enough...resembles me...i need some strange....ya heard?

you want me to report back daily?...she likes to fuck alot...so this could end up being a long thread :(

all in all cool info on the glasses, i think im pretty satisfied with the MJs i bought. Hell i better be for the price...i still think i may be slightly foolish to think spending 2 bills will show equal results, but we shall see... ill be back down at the coast over the 4th of July weekend, so they will get a good work out on the bays, i think this green tint lense is going to make the water where i fish light up pretty nicely.

:lmao wives don't count.

mrsmaalox
06-24-2009, 03:42 PM
Hey big spenders, I just got out of Academy with a pair of Cosmo Girl shades for $9.88 on clearance! :toast :lol

JudynTX
06-24-2009, 04:00 PM
Hey big spenders, I just got out of Academy with a pair of Cosmo Girl shades for $9.88 on clearance! :toast :lol

:toast That's great. Were you stocking up on ammunition? :D

Das Texan
06-24-2009, 06:17 PM
never had a problem with oakleys at all.

on my third pair now. had the full jacket for some 3 + years then the half jacket for about 4-5 years, now i'm on some of the framed models, one of the higher up ones, though I dont remember the name.

i dont mind paying a high price for something that lasts for years and they do a really good job at blocking out the sun, which is their man role.

jman3000
06-24-2009, 06:47 PM
I once spent 150 on a pair of Ray Bans and I babied them so much I could never really enjoy them. Plus I hardly wore them because I felt like a douche with them on. Ended up losing them at work.

and damn... if you need nice sunglasses to make the ladies notice you I reckon they won't like what they see when you take them off.

Cane
06-24-2009, 09:07 PM
As a pilot I find the classic styled Aviator Raybans to be great and its always in style. Fits well under the headset and you definitely feel the quality difference just like comparing a shitty Wal-Mart watch to a 100-200 dollar one; except quality sunglasses have a lot more utilty.

On the flipside I can't justify buying NBA jerseys and Air Jordan shoes but to each their own.

lefty
06-24-2009, 09:49 PM
I wear polarized Ray Ban (RB-3261) :tu

http://www.bestbuyeyeglasses.com/img/product.ashx/p?244830.jpg