PDA

View Full Version : How Neda Divided My Family

DarrinS
06-22-2009, 04:14 PM
This is a pretty interesting blog

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2009-06-22/how-neda-divided-my-family/full/

Last night I watched a disturbing video clip that has captivated Iranians and audiences around the world:

On a backstreet, a girl in her twenties, wearing blue jeans and white sneakers, is shot. The bullet has apparently pierced her chest. She collapses to the ground as a few men rush to help her and apply pressure to her gunshot wound. A man tells her: “Natars”—Farsi for “Don’t be scared.” Suddenly, out of her mouth and nostrils blood gushes forth. Then her eyes lose their focus and her head bends towards the camera. By now her face is soaked with blood. The same man who had told the girl not to be afraid now shouts: “Neda, bemoon!”—“Neda, stay with me!”
But Neda cannot stay. She dies.

Iran’s constitution has no Second Amendment. Only the state’s officials are allowed to bear arms. Neda was killed by a member of Basij paramilitary forces Saturday in Tehran. The video clip of her murder has circulated widely, turning Neda into a rallying cry for many struggling in the streets. (CNN ran the video in a pixilated version because of its graphic nature.)

After watching the video my brother’s eyes were full of tears. I was too incensed to cry. But not everyone was disturbed by the video.

“That’s what comes from pouring into the streets,” was my mother’s casual reaction when I showed her the clip. My mother is hardly a callous person. On Friday, when the Supreme Leader declared in his nationally broadcast sermon that he is willing to give his life for “upholding Islam,” my mother—like most people listening, including a prayer hall filled with grown men—wept.

She was not touched by the video of Neda because it was not compatible with her essential presumptions. She cannot believe, for instance, that a Basij member could kill an innocent girl. To my mother, Basij members are the embodiment of everything admirable: They are deeply religious and completely devoted to the Supreme Leader. Their demeanor resembles that of the “martyrs”—those killed during the Iran-Iraq war. My mother’s brother was a young Basij member who was killed during the war. She could not believe someone so much like her brother could have murdered an innocent girl.

There had to be another explanation for what had happened to the girl in the video. But as it was difficult to come up with any she shrugged off the problem by saying: “Well, that’s what comes out of pouring into the streets.”
Her offhand reaction, however, offended me. She was quick to detect my indignation. “Son, you and your brother have been brainwashed by the Western media…Why do you believe everything they say?” This is our parents’ typical line when they encounter the deep chasm that separates our way of thinking. It is completely futile to debate and determine who is actually being brainwashed. Like us, they have not suddenly formed their outlook in a day, as a result of open debating with someone.

My brother and I often forget that the state-run TV is almost the only way our parents, like many Iranians of their generation, get information. The state knows this very well. That’s why Jam-e-Jam, Islamic Republic’s broadcasting building, is one of the most heavily fortified sections of Tehran. (A tank sits parked in front of the building as I write.)

As for the current protests, the state-run TV refers to the demonstrators as “mobs.” Broken shops and burned cars are the only parts of the protests the regime TV is prepared to air. Interviews show people in the street complaining that “mobs” have ruined their businesses and students who cannot study because of the noise the “mobs” make. What is never even implied in the TV is that hundreds of thousands of Iranians in major cities are marching peacefully in the streets to show their lack of trust in the state-announced election results. Nor will the clip of Neda’s murder ever make the airwaves.

I was born years after the 1979 revolution, but I can very well imagine that in the days when our parents fought for “Freedom, Independence and the Islamic Republic,” the Shah’s mouthpieces used the same strategy as our current state-run media. They surely reduced the protesters to unruly “mobs” who were “undermining the country’s security and integrity.”

My parents do not appreciate this irony. But at least my brother and I have access to proxy servers that let us access Web sites that show the Neda video and commemorate her life. We were not able to attend, but we know that she has been secretly buried in Bheshte-e-Zahra cemetery, the same place in Tehran where Khomeini made his historic speech after returning to Iran from years of exile:

Let us assume that a nation at a particular time votes for someone to become their sultan. It is their life and they can do anything they want with it. But what gives them the right to make decisions for their children, for the nation yet to come? Even if all the Iranians voted for Reza-Shah—an absurd assumption—what gives them the right to make his son the king over our heads?...This traitor has wrecked our country and the cemeteries are the only place left untouched by his hands.

Neda’s name means “voice” in Farsi. Even though she has been silenced by a Basiji bullet, her death has given new voice to our generation’s demand for reform. Our parents may not understand it yet, but soon they will have to come to terms with the fact that our voices are the future. They can no longer make decisions for their children—or for the Iranian nation yet to come.

The writer, who uses a pseudonym for his own safety, is a university student in Iran.

jman3000
06-22-2009, 04:19 PM
During Father's Day, after we had all eaten, my dad was watching the news when it showed the video of her. He simply said, "Who cares. Let them all kill each other."

sam1617
06-22-2009, 04:23 PM
During Father's Day, after we had all eaten, my dad was watching the news when it showed the video of her. He simply said, "Who cares. Let them all kill each other."

Not to be calloused, but I kinda tend to agree with your dad. IMO, the ME has not much chance of being sane in our lifetimes. Too much corruption, and its not like the people that the youth want in office are any less corrupt than the current regime. I mean, yeah, if they were actually going to replace their gov't with a new, liberating one, that was open to the US, then it might be worth cheering for, but they aren't.

jman3000
06-22-2009, 04:27 PM
I made that same point a week ago and still feel that way. It's the plight at the micro level, not at the macro level, which I'm so sympathetic to.

LnGrrrR
06-22-2009, 04:33 PM

Pretty callous, but honest at least.

jman3000
06-22-2009, 04:43 PM
Well... the problem is the ones they are killing are the ones who are the most West friendly. The less of them, the harder it will be to ever have stable relations with Iran.

This taken from CNN from an alleged Iranian:
"Yes. Let me tell you something. For about three decades our nation has been humiliated and insulted by this regime. Now Iranians are united again one more time after 1979 Revolution. We are a peaceful nation. We don’t hate anybody. We want to be an active member of the international community. We don’t want to be isolated. Is this much of a demand for a country with more than 2,500 years of civilization? We don’t deny the Holocaust. We do accept Israel’s rights. And actually, we want — we want severe reform on this structure. This structure is not going to be tolerated by the majority of Iranians. We need severe reform, as much as possible."

This is in the extreme minority of thinking in Iran... but the types of students who think like this are the ones getting killed.

jman3000
06-22-2009, 04:46 PM
I think the argument that since these kids want Mousavi in means that they are 100% behind his polices. I liken it to conservatives who voted for McCain when in reality he was considered by many to be a RINO. It's because he's the closest alternative they had to their view.

Mousavi was the closest thing they could see to being different so they've latched on to him.

SnakeBoy
06-22-2009, 05:04 PM
IMO, the ME has not much chance of being sane in our lifetimes.

That may very well be true but the ME will continue to dominate US foreign policy for the foreseeable future so what happens has a direct effect upon us. I'm pretty sure the power brokers in washington aren't saying who cares or this has nothing to do with the US. I suspect they're trying to figure out the best way to exploit the situation to their advantage for power/profit and of course, how to sell it to us.

DarrinS
06-22-2009, 05:32 PM
I think the argument that since these kids want Mousavi in means that they are 100% behind his polices. I liken it to conservatives who voted for McCain when in reality he was considered by many to be a RINO. It's because he's the closest alternative they had to their view.

Mousavi was the closest thing they could see to being different so they've latched on to him.

I saw an interview with some Iranians, now living in the US, that pretty much echoed this.

DarrinS
06-22-2009, 05:39 PM
Well... the problem is the ones they are killing are the ones who are the most West friendly. The less of them, the harder it will be to ever have stable relations with Iran.

This taken from CNN from an alleged Iranian:
"Yes. Let me tell you something. For about three decades our nation has been humiliated and insulted by this regime. Now Iranians are united again one more time after 1979 Revolution. We are a peaceful nation. We don’t hate anybody. We want to be an active member of the international community. We don’t want to be isolated. Is this much of a demand for a country with more than 2,500 years of civilization? We don’t deny the Holocaust. We do accept Israel’s rights. And actually, we want — we want severe reform on this structure. This structure is not going to be tolerated by the majority of Iranians. We need severe reform, as much as possible."

This is in the extreme minority of thinking in Iran... but the types of students who think like this are the ones getting killed.

I went and read that transcript. Sounds like they really want outside help. Too bad we can't do anything.

http://amfix.blogs.cnn.com/2009/06/22/iranian-protestor-plea/

Mohammad: Americans, European Union, international community, this government is not definitely — is definitely not elected by the majority of Iranians. So it’s illegal. Do not recognize it. Stop trading with them. Impose much more sanctions against them. My message…to the international community, especially I’m addressing President Obama directly – how can a government that doesn’t recognize its people’s rights and represses them brutally and mercilessly have nuclear activities? This government is a huge threat to global peace. Will a wise man give a sharp dagger to an insane person? We need your help international community. Don’t leave us alone.

Winehole23
06-22-2009, 06:10 PM
I went and read that transcript. Sounds like they really want outside help. Too bad we can't do anything.Like your own post, this is purely anecdotal, but the pictures of Mossadegh carried at rallies send a message too.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2009/6/22/1245678209098/mousavi460x276.jpg