PDA

View Full Version : Would LA have won the title this year without Bynum?

DPG21920
06-22-2009, 04:52 PM
I was having this debate with my Lakerfan of a "brother". Do you think the Lakers still would have won the title if Bynum did not play and why?

DenDen
06-22-2009, 05:02 PM
Of course.. Bynum is an overrated non factor..

carrao45
06-22-2009, 05:03 PM
Yes, but had he been dominant like b4 he got injured, the Lakers would have went 16-1

IronMexican
06-22-2009, 05:07 PM
Yes. But I don't know if Ariza had gone down.

DenDen
06-22-2009, 05:11 PM
There's nothing wrong with bynum he's %100 healthy, Bynum just not that good.

sonic21
06-22-2009, 05:14 PM
yes, Bynum basketball IQ is very low, he'll never be a major player.

DenDen
06-22-2009, 05:22 PM
Bynum is lucky. He have the luxury of playing on the laker. I watch the kid play, just to see what the hype's about. What I saw was dude alway get easy look, cause opposing team defense are more concern about kobe and the other laker big. The day kobe retire n hand the franchise to Bynum, those are gonna be sad days for laker fan..

VivaPopovich
06-22-2009, 05:23 PM
Would LA have won the title this year without Bynum?

Yes. But not without Trevor Ariza.

DPG21920
06-22-2009, 05:25 PM
Ok, that is what I thought. He was trying to act like Bynum made the difference (more or less) because I was arguing that the Lakers were far more talented than the other teams and he was trying to refute that.

He was saying that the Lakers were not "far and away" the most talented and they needed the threat of Bynum to win.

DPG21920
Yes. But not without Trevor Ariza.

Ya, but that was never the argument, that was generally understood.

Scola
He was looking like a promising young center before he got injured. Alot of Lakers fans said he was the missing piece when they lost against the Celtics. Overall he was pretty disappointing this year and he played horribly in the playoffs. He still young and has good size but they totally overpaid the guy :

"Per team policy, terms of the agreement were not released.
However, the deal was expected to be a three-year extension in the neighborhood of $42 million, which works out to $14 million a year. The Lakers would reportedly have a have a fourth-year option on the deal for $16 million, bringing the total deal to $58 million.
The money proposed is closer to what Bynum was asking than what the Lakers originally offered -- Bynum and agent David Lee wanted a max deal that would have been worth closer to $17 million per year, while the Lakers were allegedly offering closer to $10 million" http://www.nbclosangeles.com/sports/basketball/nba/Lakers_Bynum_Close_To_Contract_Deal.html

lol, 14-17m for that, no thanks. I wonder if they resign Odom this off-season and for how much.

DPG21920
06-22-2009, 05:32 PM
Well, I like Bynum. Right before he was injured, he was absolutely beasting. He has a much better offensive game than Dwight and he was pretty damn athletic as well. He has good length be he can be a bit over zealous on that end.

I do not know how he will recover from the injuries, but if he can fully, he will be a very, very good center.

The point was about this playoffs though.

Muser
06-22-2009, 05:34 PM
:lol

Not to mention, Josh Powell is a better player than Bynum. The only thing Bynum does good is eat and foul... really hard.

And hang out at the mansion. :toast

lefty
06-22-2009, 05:38 PM
No no and no

He helped a lot, because he kept Gasol out of foul trouble vs Orlando.

And that's not sarcasm by the way

SpursDynasty
06-22-2009, 06:05 PM
Bynum is a non factor

Thunder Dynasty
06-22-2009, 06:09 PM
Thunder Dynasty > SpursDynasty

phyzik
06-22-2009, 06:51 PM
Cant wait for Allanon to come in here and talk about how Bynum is going to be an all star next season putting up 20 and 10 a night.

just messin' with you Allanon :lol

#1 Timmys Fan
06-22-2009, 06:55 PM
Bymums greatness is not powerful like Mr Duncan.

LEONARD
06-23-2009, 08:31 AM
Bynum is a non factor

If the Lakers win the championship...

I'll leave this forum for life.

I am doing this to prove to everyone how much of a non-factor the Lakers are in the playoffs. They haven't accomplished anything. They just want to come out, shoot some hoops, and BS their way to everything. Not going to get it done in the Finals. Orlando will win the championship. There are no All-Stars other than Kobe on this Laker team. Not an intimidating lineup. Just a bunch of a jump shooters who score off Kobe double teams.

Pussy...

2Cleva
06-23-2009, 08:43 AM
No, LA doesn't win without Bynum.

He obviously wasn't 100% but him being there allowed Gasol to not play the 5 all game and LO not to play the 4 all game. They got wore down in the playoffs last year from the pounding. Also, his willingness to take hard fouls, even at the cost of PT, was a factor. Teams did think twice about attacking the basket when he was in. Not having an anchor is what caught them last year. There would have been a lot more perimeter players attacking the basket if Bynum wasn't there backing them up. Without Bynum - LA was forced to play a zone D that teams had figured out and started tearing it apart. Bynum as an anchor allowed more man-to-man principles.

Getting caught up in stats instead of really understanding the game is why anyone would think Bynum was worthless to this team.

Chieflion
06-23-2009, 08:49 AM
No. He was the one who matched up with Yao Ming in the first 3 games of the Rockets series and a decoy on the last 4 as he was so large and could score over Chuck Hayes and Carl Landry which gave open looks for Gasol.

resistanze
06-23-2009, 09:05 AM
Yes. Stop kidding yourselves. Without Bynum + a healthy Ariza, they're still better than the team that made the finals last year. Their road through the West was at least at easy as last year and 2X as easy in the finals. They would've won without Bynum.

Chieflion
06-23-2009, 09:17 AM
Yes. Stop kidding yourselves. Without Bynum + a healthy Ariza, they're still better than the team that made the finals last year. Their road through the West was at least at easy as last year and 2X as easy in the finals. They would've won without Bynum.
Yep. I agree that a 7 game series is always easy.

DenDen
06-23-2009, 09:29 AM
No, LA doesn't win without Bynum.

He obviously wasn't 100% but him being there allowed Gasol to not play the 5 all game and LO not to play the 4 all game. They got wore down in the playoffs last year from the pounding. Also, his willingness to take hard fouls, even at the cost of PT, was a factor. Teams did think twice about attacking the basket when he was in. Not having an anchor is what caught them last year. There would have been a lot more perimeter players attacking the basket if Bynum wasn't there backing them up. Without Bynum - LA was forced to play a zone D that teams had figured out and started tearing it apart. Bynum as an anchor allowed more man-to-man principles.

Getting caught up in stats instead of really understanding the game is why anyone would think Bynum was worthless to this team.
So Bynum is paid to take fouls? Laker fans, have you ever thought that maybe he's not the next big thing that he's all hype up to be. I'll give him some credit, he'll be descent, but I don't see a future superstar.

2Cleva
06-23-2009, 09:35 AM
So Bynum is paid to take fouls? Laker fans, have you ever thought that maybe he's not the next big thing that he's all hype up to be. I'll give him some credit, he'll be descent, but I don't see a future superstar.

Give him time. Considering how little PT he got in HS and no college and only 21. He has the potential nd teams know it.

Paid for fouls? No - paid to contribute. Rebound. Defend the paint. Be an anchor for the defense. Phil was clear that's what he wanted out of him this year and he's did it.

z0sa
06-23-2009, 11:45 AM
bynum's size was a factor. just being in the right spot and being as big as him makes good things happen on both ends. while he does foul a bit, its youth. Defense is all about discipline.