PDA

View Full Version : Why I "hate" the Denver Nuggets

Rummpd
04-01-2005, 03:55 PM
1) George Karl - wins for awhile then loses players whom he berates in press, don't be fooled by recent success. Saw this guys act first hand living near the Sonics in Seattle than later the Bucks. Egocentric coach who looked like a bag of potatoes in a throwback jersey.

2) Carmello Anthony - such promise but has taken a step back.
Don't believe that him and Karl on the same page for a minute.

3) Martin - despised most of all, it was never the Spurs defense that stopped him in his mind. Limited game but loved by some as he is a "baller" - who cares, he is over-rated period.

4) Boykins - probably a likeable guy and a hero to all wannabee NBA players
under 5'7" but he is a too dangerous foe on the other side. (If he was on Spurs would probably be enthralled by this guys gutty play.)

5) Those baby blue uniforms. Belong in a nursery.

6) The advantage they get of the oxygen deprived environment, sick of hearing about this one.

7) The homer announcers - ever catch one of their games on NBA pass - unreal.

Thump em Spurs

T Park
04-01-2005, 04:00 PM
Cant say as I hate the nuggets.

I disagree about Martin.

Him and Duncan together in the frontcourt would be unstoppable.

nkdlunch
04-01-2005, 04:06 PM
why is boykins in your list of reasons to hate them?

Iron Giant
04-01-2005, 04:34 PM
Can't say I agree with the Karl assessment...especially looking at who he had to work with in Milwaukee (hello...Sam-I-am and Glenn aren't known for for their coachability).

Regardless, Karl had a good record while I lived in Seattle, and put the team into the finals. Moreover, fans were upset when he left, and most wanted Wally on a stick instead. Sure, he's hard on players...but if Denver's recent success is any indication, some players obviously need it. How long the approach plays says, I think, more about the players themselves. Don't like Karl? I'd classify him in the Brown/Pop mold...sounds like good company to me (see Dean Smith as well).

At the moment, I'd rather not see the Nuggets in the first round...and that has more to do with the coach than the team.

TMTTRIO
04-01-2005, 04:36 PM
How about the gm who tried to lure and steal Manu away from the Spurs :lol.

Gummi
04-01-2005, 04:38 PM
I definatly agree with you rummpd on Martin. He's very overrated in my mind. All he does is dunk and argue with the refs, it seems.

But George Karl is a good coach. Like him or not he has a good record with his teams.

td4mvp21
04-01-2005, 05:38 PM
I actually like the Nuggets. I like their style, especially Melo's. Martin is way over rated though, and that little punk got on my nerves when we played them in the Finals. But I may hate them after tonight you never know. :-D

Solid D
04-01-2005, 05:43 PM
True colors. Don't hate. http://www.remembertheaba.com/SanAntonioMaterial/KarlDribbleCalvinNiceClose.jpg

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-01-2005, 05:58 PM
I got George Karl's autograph when he came to my grade school class years ago when he played for the Spurs. He wore his Spurs uniform with those big-bell sweats they wore way back in the day. I remember our class went out and watched him dunk the basketball and thought he was pretty cool. I was disppointed that the Iceman didn't come instead. . .some kids are never satisfied.

As for the Nuggets, I think they're a pretty dangerous team. They usually play us pretty tough, and I think they'd be a formidable 1st round opponent. Karl's choice of using Doug Moe as an assistant was a good one, as I think he has a great basketball mind for running the 'O'. He and Karl appear to be a good tandem.

Jimcs50
04-01-2005, 06:14 PM
How can anyone hate an ex ABA team???

Rummpd
04-01-2005, 06:24 PM
Ok I should have said dislike. Read the Boykins post carefully, toungue in cheek, actually like him. Still believe Karl over-rated, he had plenty of talent in Bucks but could not get them to mesh. In Seattle, had arguebly the best team in basketball talent wise, and except for one year when they got to the finals they disappointed.

Believe Carmello may be on the path to destruction, his off the court activities have had a lot of bad press, would be a shame, lots of talent will see.

As for Martin, stand by statement. Not much true star skills here, got stats in weak East and secondary to Kidd's brilliance. Out West just an average PF.

wildbill2u
04-01-2005, 06:26 PM
Can't say I agree with the Karl assessment...especially looking at who he had to work with in Milwaukee (hello...Sam-I-am and Glenn aren't known for for their coachability).

Regardless, Karl had a good record while I lived in Seattle, and put the team into the finals. Moreover, fans were upset when he left, and most wanted Wally on a stick instead. Sure, he's hard on players...but if Denver's recent success is any indication, some players obviously need it. How long the approach plays says, I think, more about the players themselves. Don't like Karl? I'd classify him in the Brown/Pop mold...sounds like good company to me (see Dean Smith as well).

At the moment, I'd rather not see the Nuggets in the first round...and that has more to do with the coach than the team.

Karl expects his players to play with the same dedication, fire and the willingness to take a charge that he exhibited as a Spur. He has an emotional attachment to the game and his players had better give their best or he'll get on them without question. Players who don't care about anything or anyone but themselves and their money have a hard time with George. And his rah rah style may wear on some after a while. But he's a dedicated good coach.

He's an old friend of mine from the ABA days so I'm prejudiced in his favor.

Rummpd
04-01-2005, 06:33 PM
I respect your loyalty to him through the years, nice response.