PDA

View Full Version : Schiavo protesters OWNED!!!!

IX_Equilibrium
04-01-2005, 06:35 PM
http://img133.exs.cx/img133/46/schaivo24xx.jpg

E20
04-01-2005, 07:04 PM
Look at the blonde lady looking at the "Idiot" sign.

:lmao

Duff McCartney
04-01-2005, 07:41 PM
Haha...classic.

T Park
04-02-2005, 02:36 AM
thats supposed to be funny?

JoeChalupa
04-02-2005, 01:12 PM
:lol I thought it was funny.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-02-2005, 01:18 PM
thats supposed to be funny?

I agree. That's pretty sad. Even though it was probably meant to be a joke I think it's disrespectful.

These folks are protesting because they have strong beliefs about this woman's life. Regardless of what side of the fence you're on in the debate I think you need to respect another person's beliefs.

JoeChalupa
04-02-2005, 01:23 PM
I agree. That's pretty sad. Even though it was probably meant to be a joke I think it's disrespectful.

These folks are protesting because they have strong beliefs about this woman's life. Regardless of what side of the fence you're on in the debate I think you need to respect another person's beliefs.

Good point but from watching FoxNews it didn't appear they were respecting other person's beliefs.

I still thinks it's funny.

Useruser666
04-02-2005, 02:14 PM

I think that's the problem right there. They have no business in this issue.

Drachen
04-02-2005, 02:18 PM
I gotta say, that I am more than likely on his side of the arguement, but I dont approve of this move (although my approval isnt necessary). I just think its downright unclassy. Just think if someone ran up in the middle of a "sit in" in the 60s and held up a sign for the cameras that said "we are stupid Ni***rs."

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-02-2005, 03:12 PM
I think that's the problem right there. They have no business in this issue.

Why not? You're always allowed to stand up for what you believe in and have a voice, that's the great thing about being an American last time I checked. Those protestors saw something they perceived as wrong and were protesting to make a difference. Nothing wrong with that. "Business" would imply they were somehow involved in the process of keeping her alive artificially. . .and I didn't see anyone in that pic spoonfeeding Schiavo any Campbell's Chunky Soup.

Drachen's point was a good one, and I agree. For the record, I believe that if Teri Schiavo had expressed a desire to not be kept alive by machines that her wish needed to be respected, probably a lot sooner than it actually happened.

But I'm not going to call people stupid for having the opposing view, and certainly not go so far as to do what that guy in the pic did.

MannyIsGod
04-02-2005, 03:16 PM
I think the irony in this is watching people say that using your first amendment rights in this manner is a bad call because the other people were using their first amendment rights.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-02-2005, 03:20 PM
I think it just depends on the manner in which you choose to express yourself Manny. Wouldn't you agree with that?

mookie2001
04-02-2005, 03:37 PM
no
the use of your right of free speech to defend the heartbeat of a woman whos been braindead for 15years is a stretch
especially when kids are getting murdered in schools and the number dead in iraq is outlandish
and if i were to protest the war, fox news ( or employees of, posing as host of news shows when they are giving neoconservative opinions), would call me a left extremist who doesnt support the troops or love this country

bigzak25
04-02-2005, 03:43 PM
that guy is not expressing his right to free speech, he is just being an asshole...funny? well...maybe worth a smirk, but definitely tactless.

IX_Equilibrium
04-02-2005, 03:47 PM
I think the irony in this is watching people say that using your first amendment rights in this manner is a bad call because the other people were using their first amendment rights.

Exactly. Someone could feel just as offended by the protesters actions if they feel strongly about not wanting Schiavo suffer any longer after 15 years.

I knew that not everyone would like this picture, but I wanted to share it with those who would think it was funny.

Drachen
04-02-2005, 04:00 PM

Hey, manny no one said to stop him from using his 1st amdmnt right. I just dont like what he is doing, no big deal, Im sure my opinion doesnt count to him anyway. As you said in another thread, and I quote:

"Oh and I would hate a pro death penalty exhibit. BUT I WOULD FIGHT FOR IT'S RIGHT TO BE PUT UP IN THE SAME SPOT AS THIS ONE."

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-02-2005, 04:11 PM
Exactly. Someone could feel just as offended by the protesters actions if they feel strongly about not wanting Schiavo suffer any longer after 15 years.

I knew that not everyone would like this picture, but I wanted to share it with those who would think it was funny.

Not even the same thing.

Once, when I was working on a project in El Paso there was a small group of protestors holding up picket signs demonstrating for the rights of immigrant workers for such things as medical care, etc., here in the U.S.

If I had gone up behind them with a sign that said "Send the Stupid Stinky Wetbacks Back to Mexico" I think that would have been a little closer to what this guy did.

Exercising your first amendment rights is not a free ticket to be a dickhead.

Drachen
04-02-2005, 04:19 PM
Not even the same thing.

Once, when I was working on a project in El Paso there was a small group of protestors holding up picket signs demonstrating for the rights of immigrant workers for such things as medical care, etc., here in the U.S.

If I had gone up behind them with a sign that said "Send the Stupid Stinky Wetbacks Back to Mexico" I think that would have been a little closer to what this guy did.

Exercising your first amendment rights is not a free ticket to be a dickhead.

While I agree with you, chopper, about the picture, I dont agree with you on your last statement. One of the reasons why it is great is that anyone has the ability to express unpopular views, so more than likely when you are using it there will be someone thinking that you are a dickhead.

MannyIsGod
04-02-2005, 04:24 PM
Well, if the crux of the arguement is disrespect, I would argue that both examples are disrespectul, and that many times first amendment expressions can be viewed as such.

I don't think it's a big deal, it's a joke, and nothing more.

MannyIsGod
04-02-2005, 04:27 PM
Actually, I think the first amendment is a free ticket to be a dickhead, or a saint.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-02-2005, 04:36 PM
Is it a free ticket to make things up? Is that REALLY a first amendment right?

When do you cross the line over to saying something that is slanderous? Could I start a website saying Manny is a homosexual? Would that be ok under the 1st amendment? Probably not.

There ARE limits, whether you want to admit it or not.

Mark in Austin
04-02-2005, 04:59 PM
Wow. As I read this thread I find myself flashing back to The People vs. Larry Flynt.

ShoogarBear
04-02-2005, 05:06 PM
Y'know, every day the decision is made to withdraw medical support from people in Terry Schiavo's situation, with the expressed previous desire of the patient and full support of the family.

If the protestors really mean what they say, then they should be going to court trying to get that stopped, too.

Experiment2100
04-02-2005, 05:09 PM

When do you cross the line over to saying something that is slanderous? Could I start a website saying Manny is a homosexual? Would that be ok under the 1st amendment? Probably not.

I'm pretty sure that there is nothing that can stop you from starting a website that says Manny is a homosexual. Besides the fact we know he's not a homosexual.

MannyIsGod
04-02-2005, 05:17 PM

Of course there are limits, and I never said otherwise. You didn't say the guy in the picture was commiting slander (probably because he wasn't), you said you didn't like it because it was disrespectful.

And that's fine.

But some people find what the protestors are doing (me for example) as even more disrespectful.

And thats fine, too.

Feel free to post a website saying whatever you want about me, I've got better things to worry about and I'm sure someone will get a laugh out of it. Clandestino posted pictures of me as a monkey, and I had no problem with that.

A lot is made of respecting someone else's beliefs even if you disagree, but I don't think it's nessecary. I don't respect the KKKs beliefs one damn bit, for example.

The bottom line is that the guy made a joke, and you're under no obligation to like it. But saying that the people protesting are some how more dignified is nothing more than a personal opinion, one which I happen to disagree with.

MannyIsGod
04-02-2005, 05:18 PM
BTW, take one look at the shirt the guy is wearing. The guy is simply following in the appropriate footsteps with this act.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-02-2005, 05:30 PM
To me, the bottom line is this. . .

You can protest any cause or action, and express yourself in any way you see fit, but you shouldn't verbally attack people without basis.

When you start lowering yourself to name-calling and slandering others you become counter-productive, and you defeat the whole purpose of self-expression.

By calling the protestors "idiots" even jokingly, the guy in the picture is saying that their opinions don't matter as much as his does.

The picture was meant to be funny, I know that, but it is disrespectful of others and their opinions. That, to me, is the root of prejudice. Once we start choose sides over differences in beliefs, and do it in a hateful way, we're moving backwards as a society.

So, whether or not any constitutional rights are or are not being violated, that type of attitude and the support of it, is a little disheartening.

I love poking fun at people, I do it in here all of the time, but I know there is a right and wrong place for everything.

JoeChalupa
04-02-2005, 05:35 PM
I guess it depends on what side of the fence you are on.
I've read tactless jokes about Bill Clinton, the Pope, President Bush and on and on.
Perhaps I shouldn't think it is funny because it is at the expense of others but isn't it almost always? Not that that makes it right.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-02-2005, 05:35 PM
BTW, take one look at the shirt the guy is wearing. The guy is simply following in the appropriate footsteps with this act.

:)

Actually, I just took a good look at the "3 of a Kind" sign that the woman in front of the "idiot" sign guy has.

Her comparing Schiavo's husband to OJ is ludicrous!

Maybe that guy is making a correct assumption after all, and MAYBE it really is based on valid observation! :lol

Lordy, the world is swirling down the toilet I think.