PDA

View Full Version : Mario Elie Among Kings’ 3 New Assistant Coaches

duncan228
06-22-2009, 10:24 PM
Mario Elie among Kings’ 3 new assistant coaches (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-kings-coachingstaff&prov=ap&type=lgns)

New Sacramento Kings coach Paul Westphal hired Mario Elie, Jim Eyen and Leonard “Truck” Robinson as his assistant coaches Monday night.

Westphal also retained 78-year-old assistant Pete Carril, the Hall of Fame coach from Princeton who has been affiliated with the Kings for much of the past 13 years.

Elie, a three-time NBA champion as a player, has been an assistant coach in Dallas, Golden State and San Antonio. He spent the last two seasons with the Mavericks while Westphal was an assistant coach and an executive in Dallas.

“He was one of the first guys that I targeted,” Westphal said. “He’s going to really help us with his defensive intensity.”

Eyen is an 18-year NBA coaching veteran, spending most of his years working under Mike Dunleavy during stints with four franchises. He spent the past six seasons on the Los Angeles Clippers’ bench.

Robinson was Westphal’s teammate in Phoenix and New York during an 11-year playing career. He spent last season as a scout for Washington, but has never coached in the NBA.

Westphal said Carril, the winningest coach in Ivy League history, will be “the one we all learn from.”

“He’ll be around quite a bit,” Westphal said. “He won’t travel to all the games, but he’ll be a presence at practice, home games and meetings.”

timvp
06-22-2009, 10:36 PM
Add in his stint as the Rockets mascot and Elie has been well traveled in a short amount of time.

honestfool84
06-22-2009, 10:46 PM
man, it would have been really nice to get mario ellie as a spurs assistant coach.

Guajalote
06-22-2009, 10:52 PM
I'll always have fond memories of Mario Elie. When the Spurs won in '99, I remember him telling David something like, "Now everybody has to shut their mouth about criticizing you." So cool. Good luck Mario.

SenorSpur
06-22-2009, 11:14 PM
Now Avery will no longer have a mole inside the Mavs coaching staff.

EricB
06-23-2009, 05:28 AM
man, it would have been really nice to get mario ellie as a spurs assistant coach.

You forget thAt he already has been?!?!?