PDA

View Full Version : Chris Duel: A Gift From A Grieving Mom

duncan228
06-23-2009, 12:02 AM
Chris Duel co-hosts the "Chris & Jason Show" weekdays 3-7pm on ESPN 1250 "The Zone." He tackles all sides of news and sports from a fiercely independent perspective. A local radio fixture since 1997, his show on WOAI became the city's highest-rated radio talk show and set modern day ratings records for News-Talk format in San Antonio. Chris spent much of the 90's as a stand-up comic at Rivercenter Comedy Club and served four seasons as official courtside host at San Antonio Spurs home games. He has broadcast from remote locations, including the aircraft carrier U.S.S. Stennis while it was deployed for combat in the North Arabian Sea after 9/11, from Ground Zero in New York on the first anniversary of the terrorist attacks and the Holy Land in Jerusalem. He has also broadcast from two Spurs championships and two Super Bowls. Chris is a Holmes High School graduate, double majored in broadcast journalism and film at the University of Southern California and earned a Masters degree in film producing from the USC film school. He spent two years as a Cadet at the United States Air Force Academy near Colorado Springs.

A Gift from a Grieving Mom (http://voices.mysanantonio.com/chris_duel/2009/06/a-gift-from-a-grieving-mom.html)
By Chris Duel

I have a dream job. They pay me to talk about things I care about on the radio.

When I think of the other ways I could be making a living, I count my blessings.

Among the 12 years I've been privileged to talk on my hometown airwaves, there have been a handful of moments that have stopped me in my tracks.

One of those moments took place today.

My co-host Jason Minnix and I were beginning our afternoon radio show on ESPN 1250 "The Zone." Early in the show, I received a message that someone had left a package for me at the front desk. During a commercial, I walked out of the studio and down the hallway to pick up the package. It was a clear plastic bag containing an old Spurs pennant and an old Missions pennant.

There was one more item in the bag: a handwritten letter.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/temp/duel1.jpg

Walking back into the studio, I read the letter, which included the photo of a young boy and a tall Spurs basketball player, whom I recognized. The player was Artis Gilmore, a seven-foot-two-inch giant whose career dated back to the old American Basketball Association, where the Spurs were born.

In the foreground of the photo was a boy, clearly relishing the moment with his Spurs hero.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/temp/duel2.jpg

As I read the letter, I learned that the photo and the Spurs pennant were from 1985. Spurs players Artis Gilmore and John Paxson had gone to an elementary school and autographed the pennant for the boy in the photo. In 1985, the boy was in 1st Grade. In 2009, two months ago, that boy who became a young man had died.

"As a grieving mother, I've been painfully giving some of his cherished things to those whom I believe might appreciate them," the letter said.

The letter was signed, "Very sincerely, Debbie."

No last name.

No name of the boy who became a man who passed away.

I read Debbie's letter on the air. While reading it, I nearly cried.

Somehow, I maintained my composure.

Nonetheless, I was humbled and honored by Debbie's bequeathing her son's Spurs pennant to me.

I understand its profound meaning.

I still don't know Debbie's last name. I still don't know the name of her son or the circumstances of his passing.

I want to thank her and tell her that I will cherish and safeguard her son's Spurs pennant.

I hope she heard me reading her letter on the radio.

I hope she somehow reads this Blog.

I wish I had met her son.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/temp/duel3.jpg

samikeyp
06-23-2009, 06:11 AM
Wow...I had the same pennant back in the day.

Very touching story and a wonderful gesture by that lady.

Thanks for sharing with us.