PDA

View Full Version : The Michael Finley "DOOMSDAY CLOCK" thread.

objective
06-23-2009, 01:02 AM
7 days remain until Finley either picks up his option and dooms the Spurs by taking up a roster spot and being given every possible minute to play from Pop . . . or turns his back on free money and declines the option.

What will happen?

I'm guessing word will come out before the deadline that Finley is coming back, back to the starting lineup with the big time minutes while younger players are held back and on the bench because they lack experience, just like Hill.

timvp
06-23-2009, 01:06 AM
Pop needs to threaten him with a trade to the Timberwolves if he picks up that option.

Hopefully Christmas comes early and Fin walks.

http://doctorcannon.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/boy_dog_pray-jpg.jpg

loveforthegame
06-23-2009, 01:06 AM
I think he picks his option up. Let's face it he's healthy enough to keep playing but not at the minutes Pop was playing him. He could still be effective in a limited role off the bench. Whether that's here or on another team.

I think he takes Udoka's spot on the end of the bench.

Even if they threaten to trade him couldn't he just retire once the trade goes through? Doesn't seem like a useful threat.

objective
06-23-2009, 01:12 AM
Pop needs to threaten him with a trade to the Timberwolves if he picks up that option.

I'm afraid Pop will threaten to play him 30+ minutes per game in the playoffs like he did in the 4 games that weren't massive blowouts.

:depressed

loveforthegame
06-23-2009, 01:14 AM
So the entire off season depends solely on Finley's decision to stay or not?

ivanfromwestwood
06-23-2009, 01:26 AM
if he picks up his option, he can now be trade right?

timvp
06-23-2009, 01:34 AM
I'm afraid Pop will threaten to play him 30+ minutes per game in the playoffs like he did in the 4 games that weren't massive blowouts.

:depressedI'm going to stay non-bitter until at least the free agency period starts :)

So the entire off season depends solely on Finley's decision to stay or not?

No comment.

:hat

Yuixafun
06-23-2009, 01:36 AM
ya'll sound so stupid acting like its finley's fault if he plays.

haters -

hate on the FO for not having been able to pick up better players

and doomsday? seriously, melodramatic bs

crc21209
06-23-2009, 01:44 AM
It's just his time to go....

ivanfromwestwood
06-23-2009, 01:51 AM
im still pissed he was given a contrat last year. he needs to retire. wasnt his dallas contract huge. this guy dont need the cash.

HarlemHeat37
06-23-2009, 01:58 AM
I don't blame Finley, it's obviously the coach's decision..Mike puts in the work, he just no longer has the game at this age..it's interesting that Michael Finley at this age is supposed to be a defensive stopper in the eyes of Pop, when I wouldn't have made him my defensive stopper even during his prime..

raspsa
06-23-2009, 02:02 AM
It all depends on the signals Pop is sending to Finley..

xellos88330
06-23-2009, 02:09 AM
I think Finley still has plenty of game. Unfortunately, the younger players do too. I respect Finley to a very high degree, but as a Spurs fan, I would like to see him retire.

ivanfromwestwood
06-23-2009, 02:09 AM
It all depends on the signals Pop is sending to Finley..

i hope it looks something like this. :nope

Russ
06-23-2009, 02:10 AM
Finley must've done something terrible in a past life. To be so unappreciated and then pushed out the door by two teams he did nothing but play his heart out for. :depressed

SenorSpur
06-23-2009, 02:11 AM
He's already stayed a year too long. For the record, the FO IS and SHOULD be faulted for even bringing him back for the 2008-09 season. Regardless, I just want him gone.

TDMVPDPOY
06-23-2009, 02:46 AM
LOL this guy still gets a paycheck from cuban, plz dont take up the player option dude.

VivaPopovich
06-23-2009, 02:50 AM
The Michael Finley "DOOMSDAY CLOCK" thread.

It's fine to keep him if he's content with the 9th or 10th spot under a modest contract. Always good to have veterans around to keep rookies in check.

I think there's more to Pop benching George Hill than "he hates rookies."

After all, Tim Duncan nearly averaged 40 minutes/game in his rookie year, Antonio Daniels had a key role in the '99 run, so did Tony Parker and Stephen Jackson in '03.

But I do hope George Hill becomes our 6th man next season.

TDMVPDPOY
06-23-2009, 02:54 AM
It's fine to keep him if he's content with the 9th or 10th spot under a modest contract. Always good to have veterans around to keep rookies in check.

I think there's more to Pop benching George Hill than "he hates rookies."

After all, Tim Duncan nearly averaged 40 minutes/game in his rookie year, Antonio Daniels had a key role in the '99 run, so did Tony Parker and Stephen Jackson in '03.

But I do hope George Hill becomes our 6th man next season.

i wouldnt even waste a fkn roster/bench spot on him, its better of giving to one of the young players to developed

ivanfromwestwood
06-23-2009, 03:02 AM

parker and jackson were both second year spurs when they won their first championships.

whottt
06-23-2009, 04:20 AM
Finley must've done something terrible in a past life. To be so unappreciated and then pushed out the door by two teams he did nothing but play his heart out for. :depressed

As chief Findog hater, I'll tell you exactly what he did:

1. Played for the Mavs and was the embodiment of that team.

2. Never scared me when he played for them. Ever.

3. Called the Spurs and Bruce Bowen dirty.

4. Left his old team, the one he was the embodiment of, to play for the Spurs and with Bowen, who just so happen to be his old team's top rival, basically right after calling the Spurs and Bowen dirty, and doing it while he was still on a max contract from his old team.

#4 is an ALL TIME CUNT MANUEVER, and there is nothing honorable or to be admired, about it. Yeah it's tempting to take satisfaction out of his attempt to royally screw the Mavs, but it was actually beyond what they deserved, and whatever I felt they did deserve, as a SpurFan, Finley was a big reason I felt they deserved it, he's one of the ones I wanted to see getting screwed, not doing the screwing. I still want to see this happen BTW, he got a fucking championship on my team, he's owed like a double screwing.

More importantly, there was nothing team first about what he did. Finley didn't come here just to win a championship, in fact he pretty much considered that a given with himself being added to an already championship squad, he came here to twist the knife.

#5. He is just a volume shooter, and not a particularly exceptional one. He does little or nothing else in the context of team play, and in fact his game is pretty much the antithesis of team play, as it almost always is with a volume shooter, in particular the mediocre, non-clutch ones.

Finley is a Mav to me, he's part of what I hated about them, a big reason I hated them, it was never a thrill for him to be here for me personally. Spurs didn't need Michael Finley to win a title, he needed them. See the two championships in 3 years before he got here.

whottt
06-23-2009, 04:46 AM
Hopefully Findog will go sign with the Lakers and become the "heart and soul" of their team like he was for the Mavs(when they were heartless against everyone including us) and then us for the past 4(when the Mavs were heartless against everyone but us). 4 years I consider just about the worst of the Duncan era(outside of 2000-2002 but with a far better team). Even our title during this period was the worst of the bunch.

If anyone wants to take up a collection to pay for the airfare to LA, count me in.

benefactor
06-23-2009, 05:31 AM
I believe it was Mel_13 who made a good point about Finley in another thread...if Finley decides to pick up his option then he could become a pretty valuable expiring contract to another team willing to work a trade, because he is not just another expiring player that will rot away on the bench. He can actually add some depth to a team looking for a veteran SG/SF and could possibly be somewhat effective for them.

In the back of his mind, Finley has to know that picking up his option is a pretty serious crap shoot...especially if the Spurs are still looking to make some moves before the trade deadline to get ready for the playoffs. But as we have seen in the past the Pop man love should not be underestimated, so at the end of the day I would feel better if Fin simply walked away.

tmtcsc
06-23-2009, 08:53 AM
ya'll sound so stupid acting like its finley's fault if he plays.

haters -

hate on the FO for not having been able to pick up better players

and doomsday? seriously, melodramatic bs

:toast

tav1
06-23-2009, 08:55 AM
Between the draft and Malik Hairston, Finley's departure is really important in terms of adding a younger player to the roster. Even someone with very long odds--like Austin Nichols, for example--is more or less eliminated as a possibility unless Finley walks. Danny Green, for example, would be a great pick at 37 or 51 if there is a roster spot available. If not, the Spurs are better served to draft and stash.

If Finley walks it's not inconceivable that the Spurs start camp with three new bodies at wing--Udoka replacement, Finley replacement, and another.

Of course, I'm assuming the Spurs will target an impact wing through a trade, free agency, or the draft.

Spurs Brazil
06-23-2009, 09:34 AM
Finley helped us, especially in 06 and 07 but he's done.

I hope he doesn't come back

manufan10
06-23-2009, 09:44 AM
I think he would be a good trade asset to a team that is looking to make room for 2010 off-season. His expiring contract might be hard for another team to pass up via trade. We'll see what happens.

Fabbs
06-23-2009, 09:54 AM
How many children do Finley n Pop have?

That always figures into the decision.

lurker23
06-23-2009, 09:59 AM
Call me crazy, but part of me hopes Finley picks up his option. Say what you want about him, but for $2.5 million, you're not likely to get similar production offensively from another player. Granted, we all wish Pop would play him 20 mpg instead of 30 mpg, but that is what it is.

Worst case, I think his contract becomes a pretty decent trade chip; expiring contract of a vet who can actually still play a bit, the Spurs should have no problem trading that away if they want to. In fact, if teams want something with a little more actual value than the Oberto/Bowen contracts, perhaps the Spurs can get away with giving them Finley rather than Mason or Hill.

DPG21920
06-23-2009, 10:06 AM
I would expect the Spurs to get Finley's decision by tomorrow evening.

lotr1trekkie
06-23-2009, 10:07 AM
The FO needs to spell out to Findley his role if he picks up his option---- limited time off the bench and a lot to DNP's. He should not be on this team next year. Vaughn, Thomas, and Ime also are expendable. We need a replacement for Bonner as a starter. If Hill can't handle being permanent backup PG to Tony then we need to find one. Mason is a decent enough starterat SG but sucks at PG because he can't penetrate and is less than a creative passer. If Oberto is healthy enough I give him the start at center with Mahimni as backup. The salary cap makes the process difficult. Lack of billionaire owner also complicates things. How do you beat the Lakers is 64.000$ question of what the FO must do!!!! Like the Celtics, the Spurs are on the clock before their BIG 3 are history. We are fortunate to have a BIG 3. Screw 2010!

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-23-2009, 10:15 AM
Anyone pining for Fin to return may as well just admit here on the forum that you don't want the Spurs to make a run at the championship in 2010, because it ain't happening with him on the roster.

Yuixafun
06-23-2009, 11:01 AM
If Manu doesn't go down then Finley doesn't get all those minutes.

If Roger Mason played better than he did, then Finley doesn't get all those minutes, and so on and so forth...

If Finley wasn't on the team then who does Pop trust to make that last shot in final game of the season?

Having Finley as a reserve on the team isn't a negative. I really wonder about some people's logic.

As stated earlier, should he choose to resign, at the very least he would be a decent trade chip.

From all the interviews I've seen of him, Fin is professional, wise and well spoken. You know the kind of veteran presence ball clubs covet, to serve as a role model for younger players and who will help new players understand the Spurs system. Someone to talk to and ask questions, give perspective.

And who knows... Fin come playoff time might have a few "I know this is my last season and I want to win one more ring, no matter what..." plays.

So if Fin resigns it's not Doomsday. It might turn out to be a blessing in disguise.

silverblackfan
06-23-2009, 11:10 AM
If Manu doesn't go down then Finley doesn't get all those minutes.

If Roger Mason played better than he did, then Finley doesn't get all those minutes, and so on and so forth...

If Finley wasn't on the team then who does Pop trust to make that last shot in final game of the season?

Having Finley as a reserve on the team isn't a negative. I really wonder about some people's logic.

As stated earlier, should he choose to resign, at the very least he would be a decent trade chip.

From all the interviews I've seen of him, Fin is professional, wise and well spoken. You know the kind of veteran presence ball clubs covet, to serve as a role model for younger players and who will help new players understand the Spurs system. Someone to talk to and ask questions, give perspective.

And who knows... Fin come playoff time might have a few "I know this is my last season and I want to win one more ring, no matter what..." plays.

So if Fin resigns it's not Doomsday. It might turn out to be a blessing in disguise.

:toast:
Fin always seems professional and works hard. He even changed his summer routine and came into camp lighter and ready to go. Nothing to hate on here. If Pop played him more than he should have, then that is Pop's issue, not Fin's.

loveforthegame
06-23-2009, 11:11 AM
I don't think anyone is pining for him to return. Some of us just think he wouldn't be a bad option at the end of the bench. Log some DNP's and play around 10 minutes depending on the situation.

While the FO surely understands some youth needs to be involved they're not going to rely solely on guys like Hairston, Williams, Gist, maybe a draft pick to handle all the duties. Maybe if they pull off a trade or get an established free agent to resume the starting sf role then they can have those guys as backups.

objective
06-23-2009, 11:12 AM
why do people think that Michael Finley with a 2.5 million dollar one year deal is some kind of desirable tradable asset?

That isn't some great expiring bargain teams would want to trade for. It's only 2.5!

Here's a comparison. Jackie Butler had a 2.5 expiring deal, and the Spurs had to include LUIS SCOLA just to get rid of him.

It's not like he's Bowen or Oberto (who make more) that are only partially guaranteed.

loveforthegame
06-23-2009, 11:17 AM
Jackie Butler was a bust and had some character issues. At least Finley could provide leadership and spot minutes off the bench. A character guy who's been through it all. Nothing flashy but wouldn't hurt a team either.

Obviously a team wouldn't be trading for him because they expect him to lead them to a championship. But included in a bigger package along with Bonner or Mason or Thomas or Oberto or some combination to team looking for cap space next year is likely.

objective
06-23-2009, 11:21 AM
Jackie Butler was a bust and had some character issues. At least Finley could provide leadership and spot minutes off the bench. A character guy who's been through it all. Nothing flashy but wouldn't hurt a team either.

Obviously a team wouldn't be trading for him because they expect him to lead them to a championship. But included in a bigger package along with Bonner or Mason or Thomas or Oberto or some combination to team looking for cap space next year is likely.

when it comes to packaging Finley is far down the ladder on Spurs expiring deals. The bigger the $ the easier the trade. KT, Oberto, Bonner, Bowen, Mason all make more than Finley and packaged can get somewhere.

lurker23
06-23-2009, 11:27 AM
why do people think that Michael Finley with a 2.5 million dollar one year deal is some kind of desirable tradable asset?

That isn't some great expiring bargain teams would want to trade for. It's only 2.5!

Here's a comparison. Jackie Butler had a 2.5 expiring deal, and the Spurs had to include LUIS SCOLA just to get rid of him.

It's not like he's Bowen or Oberto (who make more) that are only partially guaranteed.

Not only is that a horrible comparison, it's not accurate. Jackie Butler had 2 years left on his contract at close to $2.5 mil per, and had next to zero percent chance of contributing to an NBA team. That contract was an absolute albatross; the Rockets ate nearly $5 million and a non-trivial amount of cap space for 2 years to acquire Scola.

Finley, on the other hand, is a legitimate expiring contract who averaged 10 points, 3 rebounds, and 1.5 assists per game last year. I agree that $2.5 isn't a lot money-wise to get back in a trade, but the more expiring contracts you have, the more flexibility you have to mix-and-match them to get the right deal.

objective
06-23-2009, 11:31 AM
Not only is that a horrible comparison, it's not accurate. Jackie Butler had 2 years left on his contract at close to $2.5 mil per, and had next to zero percent chance of contributing to an NBA team. That contract was an absolute albatross; the Rockets ate nearly $5 million and a non-trivial amount of cap space for 2 years to acquire Scola.

Finley, on the other hand, is a legitimate expiring contract who averaged 10 points, 3 rebounds, and 1.5 assists per game last year. I agree that $2.5 isn't a lot money-wise to get back in a trade, but the more expiring contracts you have, the more flexibility you have to mix-and-match them to get the right deal.

Get your facts straight. Butler had 1+1 remaining with the last year being a team option.

That contract was no albatross.

lurker23
06-23-2009, 11:54 AM
Get your facts straight. Butler had 1+1 remaining with the last year being a team option.

That contract was no albatross.

If that's the case, I apologize. Either way, it's still a bad comparison. There's a huge difference between a player of Finley's caliber and a player who the Rockets cut before the season even started, preferring to eat $2.5 million in both salary and cap space on him rather than give up a roster spot.

Avitus1
06-23-2009, 01:17 PM
Can't we just send him back to Dallas? :lol

rayray2k8
06-23-2009, 01:18 PM
Its no longer a "Doomsday signing"..
If he does pick up his option, he'll get garbage time.

Spurs Brazil
06-23-2009, 02:59 PM
The RJ trade is key for Finley.

If he wants to play he'll not pick his option because he knows he won't get any minutes.

If he just want to be part of a gooed team, playing very few minutes he'll stay.

timvp
06-23-2009, 03:04 PM
Hopefully Fin sees the writing on the wall and go signs with Miami or somewhere else.