PDA

View Full Version : Man vs Wild helps save young boy's life

manufan10
06-23-2009, 10:52 AM
SALT LAKE CITY – When he realized he'd been separated from his family on a weekend hike in a northern Utah forest, 9-year-old Grayson Wynne's thoughts turned to television.
Grayson watches "Man vs. Wild" on the Discovery Channel every week with his brothers and his dad. On the show, host and adventurer Bear Grylls strands himself in the wilderness and then shows viewers how to survive the sticky situations.
That's where Grayson says he learned to leave clues behind to help searchers find him.
On Saturday, when he was scared and alone in the Ashley National Forest, Grayson started tearing up his yellow rain slicker, despite the intermittent downpours, and tying pieces to trees.
"I just used my hands," said Grayson, who was found safe Sunday after spending 18 hours lost in the forest. "I don't know how many times I tore the thing but quite a lot."
Grayson was among a party of about 15 family members that left Saturday from the Spirit Lake trailhead in Daggett County. The group stopped to tighten a saddle on a horse at some point, said Grayson's dad, Kynan Wynne. But Grayson didn't realize it and went ahead of the pack before diverting onto a smaller trail in the thick forest.
Although Kynan Wynne was concerned for his son's safety, he was also confident in the boy's resilience.
"Somewhere he got the idea that for multiple reasons, not just for people to find you, but to retrace your steps if you have to, to leave a trail," Kynan Wynne said.
Grayson created a small shelter overnight under a fallen tree. The next day, he decided to follow a creek in hopes of finding help.
"I (thought I) might find the lake, that there might be somebody at the lake," he said.
Grayson, who will start fourth grade in the fall, also left a couple of clues for searchers that he didn't mean to.
He dropped a granola bar wrapper about 300 yards off the main trail. Searchers also found a small footprint and a backpack about 400 yards from the wrapper.
"I was just being pretty stupid that I dropped the backpack," Grayson said. "I was just panicking too much."
When Grayson heard a helicopter overhead, he ran into a meadow and waved the last piece of his jacket. But two searchers on horseback saw him first.
"It was such a good feeling that I was going to be all right," said Grayson, who got back to normal Monday by playing in a Little League double-header.
When he was reunited with his father, Grayson's first words were "Happy Father's Day."
The Daggett County sheriff's office credited the searchers, volunteers and Grayson's common sense for the positive outcome.
"The thing that he recognized from the show, regardless of the circumstances you're in, you are capable of surviving," Kynan Wynne said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090623/ap_on_re_us/us_utah_boy_found

Dr. Gonzo
06-23-2009, 11:13 AM
Did the kid cut open a camel and sleep in it?

Mixability
06-23-2009, 11:23 AM
Did the kid cut open a camel and sleep in it?

No, but I'm sure the locals from the forest helped him defeat the Empire using sticks and stones.

E20
06-23-2009, 11:28 AM
I was hoping he pissed on his shirt.

z0sa
06-23-2009, 11:39 AM
I congratulate the jacket tearing idea but seriously, it was only 18 hours and the kid is like 10. If you had told me he was 3-4 and had done the same shit, I'd be mildly impressed. Otherwise, this really wasn't that big of a deal. From the sound of it, his parents don't give a shit about him anyway. Had some 3-4 year toddler survived for like 5 days lost and they only found him cause of his clues, then this mightve been worth attributing towards MvsW.

jman3000
06-23-2009, 12:26 PM
He stayed at a hotel?

manufan10
06-23-2009, 12:27 PM
If it wasn't for his clues, maybe he wouldn't have been found after 18 hours. It's impressive for a 10 year old to have the presence of mind to do something like that in what would be a frightening situation for most people. We read or hear about too many stories of kids/adults never being found or only their remains being found. I think the tribute to Man vs Wild is fitting, because that's where he learned it. I've never read/heard about another kid doing this.

Thunder Dan
06-23-2009, 12:29 PM
if he wanted to prove he was a die hard fan of the show, he should have eaten leftovers of a dead Zebra or drank the water out of animal shit

manufan10
06-23-2009, 12:34 PM
^ :lmao

Taco
06-23-2009, 12:54 PM
He stayed at a hotel?

:lol

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=8471

Bear Grylls
I Drink Elephant Poop
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/image.php?u=8471&dateline=1181885482

CosmicCowboy
06-23-2009, 01:45 PM
He was on horseback? All the fuck he had to do was drop the reins on his horses neck and he would have gone back to the barn.

z0sa
06-23-2009, 01:58 PM
If it wasn't for his clues, maybe he wouldn't have been found after 18 hours. It's impressive for a 10 year old to have the presence of mind to do something like that in what would be a frightening situation for most people. We read or hear about too many stories of kids/adults never being found or only their remains being found. I think the tribute to Man vs Wild is fitting, because that's where he learned it. I've never read/heard about another kid doing this.

probably because Man vs Wild didn't exist til a few years back? Kids and adults do this shit all the time and get found a day or two later beaten up, hungry and scared, but no worse for the wear.

No monsters get you, contrary to popular belief.

manufan10
06-23-2009, 02:22 PM
probably because Man vs Wild didn't exist til a few years back? Kids and adults do this shit all the time and get found a day or two later beaten up, hungry and scared, but no worse for the wear.

No monsters get you, contrary to popular belief.

I don't think I would be scared about monsters. Just the fact that he's 10, lost, and alone in the woods. I would be scared. I think it's rare to actually find the lost person alive. I don't have any real facts that I can look at, but the majority of the time it usually isn't good news. I think the show attributed to the fact that the kid knew what to do in the situation. I think it's a great success story, rather than the sad news that a 10 year old was lost in the woods and was found dead. :tu

Whisky Dog
06-23-2009, 02:42 PM
Most everyone here would have cried their tears, pissed their pants, and shit themselves if they were 10 and in this sitatuon. Props little dude

Mark in Austin
06-23-2009, 02:56 PM
He stayed at a hotel?

beat me to it.

jacobdrj
06-23-2009, 03:01 PM
No, but I'm sure the locals from the forest helped him defeat the Empire using sticks and stones.
Gawd, I loved ROTJ...

First time I saw it with my grandmother, she was like 'what are EWoks doing in a Star Wars movie?'

Good times.

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-23-2009, 03:08 PM
The moral of the story is that children need to watch as much television as possible in the event that they ever actually end up in a real world situation.

BlackSwordsMan
06-23-2009, 03:43 PM
arrest this kid for littering