2008-09 Statistics
PPG 8.2 RPG 6.90 APG 0.9 EFF + 13.30

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/nick_collison/

urunobili
06-23-2009, 02:20 PM
FUCK YES!!! It'd be the right choice... plan B Kaman... Plan C Pachulia

Trimble87
06-23-2009, 03:24 PM
I've been thinking about bigs we can trade for since the Jefferson rumors started this morning. My perfect scenario would be finding a big who will be making 3.5-4m next season so we can trade Udoka Finley and possibly a pick to get him. But Collison is due to make 6.25m so in order to get him we would have to package Finley Udoka and Mason/Bonner(obviously preferably bonner.) But that still leaves us with only 1 big man outside of Tim and Mahinmi. Unless we can pick up a PF through free agency I think it would be wise to hold on to Bonner for now.

I know I know, I watched his collapse in the playoffs. But I dont think Bonner is a bad fit on this team. Playing 15 minutes a game to space the floor and hit open shots he would still be fine. The problem this last year was Pop playing him like a starter.

If the FO is confident in its ability to pick up another quality big in FA then I would pull the trigger on Bonner/Finley/Udoka for Collison.

*have not checked my math on this, and admittedly dont know much about how this contract would effect our luxury tax situation or the availability of the MLE.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-23-2009, 03:25 PM
Mason+Finley?

Tully365
06-23-2009, 04:08 PM
Last season, Collison was voted "sweatiest player in the NBA." That'll keep the opposing D a little bit back.

tomtom
06-23-2009, 06:11 PM
The dudes a solid bigmen. What's he owed though?

angelbelow
06-24-2009, 06:35 PM
not a bad option, we should definitely explore trade options for this guy.

Tully365
06-25-2009, 03:42 AM
A straight Bonner and Mason for Collison and Kyle Weaver works on the espn trade machine....

Bruno
06-30-2009, 08:02 AM
Thunder are said to go after Millsap in the FA. If they get him, Collison could become more available.

Spurs should really offer a package of Bonner + Finley + 2010 first round pick to teams for a legit big man. Players like Collison or Foster are great target for that package. If this package isn't enough to match salaries, Spurs could add after the July moratorium Marcus Williams and his non-guaranteed contract.

Marcus Bryant
06-30-2009, 10:09 AM
Thunder are said to go after Millsap in the FA. If they get him, Collison could become more available.

Spurs should really offer a package of Bonner + Finley + 2010 first round pick to teams for a legit big man. Players like Collison or Foster are great target for that package. If this package isn't enough to match salaries, Spurs could add after the July moratorium Marcus Williams and his non-guaranteed contract.

I like the idea of adding an experienced rebounding big to be the 1st big off the bench, so that Blair and Mahinmi aren't expected to come in and immediately contribute in a big way. I'd hate to see the Spurs deal that pick, but bigmen aren't cheap in the NBA...

EricB
06-30-2009, 11:41 AM
Would be a good trade for the Thunder.

Finley being a solid veteran would be good for the youngsters, and its really close to his home in Dallas so its a win win.

loveforthegame
06-30-2009, 11:41 AM
Like you said, big men aren't cheap. Even a team wanting to shed some salary will expect a first round pick from the Spurs.

DPG21920
06-30-2009, 12:45 PM
Who would be the damn starter on the Spurs?

loveforthegame
06-30-2009, 01:33 PM

It depends on what the Spurs get back. If it's a guy like Collison or Foster I think they move into the starting lineup. Problem with trading for one of these guys is that the MLE wouldn't be used to also get Wallace or McDyess.

So the depth chart would look something like:

Collison, Blair, Oberto (or another cheap option with no impact)
Duncan, Mahinmi, Gist
Jefferson, Bowen (or another cheap option), Williams
Mason, Ginobli, McClinton
Parker, Hill

Personally, I like a roster of:

MLE (Wallace or McDyess), Blair, Bonner
Duncan, Mahinmi, Gist
Jefferson, Finley, Williams (maybe cut him and bring Bowen back?)
Mason, Ginobli, McClinton
Parker, Hill

DPG21920
06-30-2009, 04:18 PM
If Collison is the best center on the team, Spurs are screwed.

DesignatedT
06-30-2009, 04:25 PM
i heard utah is willing to match any offer given to milsap. dont see milsap going anywhere.

objective
06-30-2009, 05:08 PM
no thanks on Collison

Marcus Bryant
06-30-2009, 05:19 PM

Wallace, McDyess, whoever.

mountainballer
06-30-2009, 05:46 PM
somehow picking Harden made a Collison draft more likely IMO.
Harden will see plenty of minutes at SG immediately and this pushes Durant full time at his natural position at SF and so Green will play mostly minutes at PF.
there won't be many minutes left for Collison behind Green and Krstic and Presti might not want to pay a 15-20 minutes back up the 6.5 M that Collison makes, especially with also a healthy White on the roster.
another point to consider is, that with Westbrook-Harden-Durant-Green the Thunder will once more raise the speed and Collison did already not fit this style last season.

Marcus Bryant
06-30-2009, 06:47 PM
I think a deal for Collison is highly likely. Presti will probably be able to pry yet another 1st round pick from his former employer. Collison's KU pedigree give RC wood. And Presti could probably take Bonner and Finley's expiring contracts and flip them into something good at the trade deadline in February, if he doesn't simply use them to cut payroll.

I'm not sure I like Collison that much, though I think he could be a capable reserve bigman.

benefactor
06-30-2009, 07:15 PM
i heard utah is willing to match any offer given to milsap. dont see milsap going anywhere.
Boozer is not opting out...so Utah could be SOL on that front.

coyotes_geek
06-30-2009, 07:18 PM
I only like Collison as a 3rd or 4th big on this team, so I'm not sure I want to toss in a 1st rounder for him. If there's a deal to be made here I think it has to be about OKC wanting cap room. The trouble is when do they want that cap room? If they're shooting for 2010 Finley/Bonner for Collison gets them an extra $6.8 in space. But rumors are floating around that they might want to make a run at Milsap right now. Fin/Bon-Collison would give them an extra $600k they could offer up to Milsap, but is that enough to get Presti to bite?

coyotes_geek
06-30-2009, 07:18 PM
Boozer is not opting out...so Utah could be SOL on that front.

Doubly screwed because Okur didn't opt out either.

benefactor
06-30-2009, 07:22 PM
lol Jazz

mountainballer
07-01-2009, 05:28 AM
Doubly screwed because Okur didn't opt out either.

hmm, I don't see it that way. if healthy they are one of the best frontcourt tandems in the league. if the Jazz can somehow re sign Millsap for a reasonable price, they will have a big rotation that is as good as any in the league. If it doesn't work, either Boozer and Okur will be very valuable trading chips at deadline.
considering the Jazz are closer to being contenders than to rebuilding, this isn't a bad situation. and next season they will also know better what they can expect from Koufos and let Okur walk, if Koufos is ready.
so IMO they are not screwed. in fact their overall situation looks pretty good.
(of course, assuming they are willing to pay some lux tax)

coyotes_geek
07-01-2009, 07:57 AM
hmm, I don't see it that way. if healthy they are one of the best frontcourt tandems in the league. if the Jazz can somehow re sign Millsap for a reasonable price, they will have a big rotation that is as good as any in the league. If it doesn't work, either Boozer and Okur will be very valuable trading chips at deadline.
considering the Jazz are closer to being contenders than to rebuilding, this isn't a bad situation. and next season they will also know better what they can expect from Koufos and let Okur walk, if Koufos is ready.
so IMO they are not screwed. in fact their overall situation looks pretty good.
(of course, assuming they are willing to pay some lux tax)

Boozer and Okur staying pushes Utah's payroll into the $72 mil range. That's without Milsap. It remains to be seen what kind of offers Milsap will get, but I'd think he won't have any trouble getting >MLE. That's pushing Utah up near $80 mil. Are they really willing to pay that much for a team that would still be in the second or third tier of western conference playoff teams?

mountainballer
07-01-2009, 08:44 AM
Boozer and Okur staying pushes Utah's payroll into the $72 mil range. That's without Milsap. It remains to be seen what kind of offers Milsap will get, but I'd think he won't have any trouble getting >MLE. That's pushing Utah up near $80 mil. Are they really willing to pay that much for a team that would still be in the second or third tier of western conference playoff teams?

no. but they will have plenty of time to find out. they can solve the tax problem at deadline and I have no doubt that they could find a taker for Okur (in a dump move) at that point.
I don't think they would match a max offer for Millsap (which he won't get anyhow). I can see that Millsap gets a 5years/40-45 million offer, significantly better than MLE, but not out of this world. I think the Jazz would match, start the new season with Okur, Boozer and Millsap and then trade Okur at deadline, if they don't see the chance to really compete with the Lakers and Spurs.

Mel_13
07-01-2009, 08:55 AM
no. but they will have plenty of time to find out. they can solve the tax problem at deadline and I have no doubt that they could find a taker for Okur (in a dump move) at that point.
I don't think they would match a max offer for Millsap (which he won't get anyhow). I can see that Millsap gets a 5years/40-45 million offer, significantly better than MLE, but not out of this world. I think the Jazz would match, start the new season with Okur, Boozer and Millsap and then trade Okur at deadline, if they don't see the chance to really compete with the Lakers and Spurs.

To solve the tax problem at the trade deadline they will need to trade him to a team with 9M in cap space or a trade exception. There might not be any such team available at the deadline. If there is only one left, they will get bent over the same way Phoenix did with KT and have to pay with future 1st rounders to get the contracts off their books. Remember that Utah owns New York's unprotected first rounder in 2010. They probably want to avoid being in a position where they have to choose between keeping the pick or exceeding budget by 10-15M.

coyotes_geek
07-01-2009, 09:05 AM
Not to mention that Okur is probably the guy they should look to hang onto if they're going to lock Milsap up long term. Boozer and Milsap, while both fine players, aren't exactly compatible in terms of being able to use them together on the same front line. Okur-Milsap is a much more functional front court.

mountainballer
07-01-2009, 09:16 AM
Not to mention that Okur is probably the guy they should look to hang onto if they're going to lock Milsap up long term. Boozer and Milsap, while both fine players, aren't exactly compatible in terms of being able to use them together on the same front line. Okur-Milsap is a much more functional front court.

agree about this. (I thought Okur because of a possible development from Koufos).
Milsap plus Boozer is not the best fit.
but let's play it the other way. if this was the Spurs, wouldn't you also hope that they match a Milsap offer, go into the season and then see how things go on? I would, so why do we care more about the money of the Jazz than of the Spurs? (and no, I'm not wishing to have their problem)