PDA

View Full Version : Hollinger: Jefferson trade puts Spurs in title hunt

timvp
06-23-2009, 02:36 PM
Jefferson trade puts Spurs in title hunt
Sending Richard Jefferson to San Antonio all about the money for the Milwaukee Bucks
By John Hollinger

The first rule of NBA trades is "Follow the money." It's the only way to make sense of a seemingly lopsided deal, such as today's swap that reportedly sent Richard Jefferson to the Spurs for Kurt Thomas, Fabricio Oberto and Bruce Bowen, pending league approval.

For starters, understand that the Bucks painted themselves into a dark, ugly corner last season by trading for Jefferson and Luke Ridnour right as the economy was going into the tank. Those deals added more than $20 million in contracts for 2009-10 just as the luxury tax level is slated to decline.

That, in turn, had the Bucks slated to be well over the luxury tax line this year if they wanted to keep restricted free agents Charlie Villanueva and Ramon Sessions, both of whom are due large raises from their rookie-scale contracts. For a rebuilding team like Milwaukee, losing its two best young players would have been disastrous, so money had to be saved someplace else.

This deal does the trick in a big way. Oberto is guaranteed only $1.9 million for the 2009-10 season and Bowen only $2 million. Both will likely be waived in the coming days in order to avoid paying their full salaries (Bowen becomes fully guaranteed on Aug. 1, Oberto on July 1). The trade will save Milwaukee $6.35 million in payroll, and possibly more if the Bucks can reach a buyout agreement with Thomas.

That money will be put to good use. With roughly $9.4 million in wiggle room now available under the luxury tax line, the Bucks are in a much better position to defend against offers to Villanueva and Sessions. Even if re-signing both puts the Bucks slightly over the tax line, they'll have until the trade deadline to strip the extra dollars from the payroll and could easily shed Charlie Bell or Malik Allen at that point to get back under. The Bucks can also get further under the tax line by trading the 10th overall pick in Thursday's draft.

So it's not such a head-scratcher after all from the Bucks' side: They basically just traded Jefferson for Villanueva and Sessions. They never should have put themselves in this position in the first place, but it was a pretty crafty escape maneuver.

As for the Spurs, it's another example of how their superior cap management allows them to make deals that aren't available to a lot of other teams. Because the Spurs had three players on short-term deals and two of them weren't fully guaranteed, they were able to send out three role players and get back a starting small forward. Jefferson should provide a dramatic upgrade from the Michael Finley-Bowen combo that manned the position a season ago, and he adds a desperately needed shot creator to take some of the heat off Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and the increasingly brittle Manu Ginobili.

That said, the Spurs took a larger risk on this deal than we're used to seeing from them. The deal basically takes San Antonio out of the 2010 free-agent market since Jefferson is owed $15 million in 2010-11 (he has an opt-out that he'd be insane to exercise), and one wonders if he's an ideal fit with the Spurs. Jefferson has been a high-volume scorer with middling efficiency, and really has been riding off his reputation a bit the past two seasons. At this point, he's one of the league's most overpaid players.

However, one thing that may have caught San Antonio's attention was his 39.7 percent mark on 3-pointers in 2008-09, a career high that he set by taking far more attempts than he'd taken in the past. The Spurs ask their small forwards to spot up in the corners as much as any team in the league, and Jefferson made 54-of-118 (45.9 percent) from those spots a season ago. If that wasn't a fluke and he nails it consistently, he can really make opponents pay for doubling Duncan, Parker or Ginobili.

The deal surprisingly also makes small-market San Antonio a tax payer, putting the Spurs $4.5 million over the tax line for this season without a real obvious remedy for getting back under. They could save some of it by drafting a foreign player with their first-round pick (not exactly unheard of around these parts) and the rest by trading either Matt Bonner or Roger Mason for a non-guaranteed deal, but at that point they'd be cutting into bone.

The other interesting wrinkle will be whether the Spurs try to re-sign Bowen or Oberto to minimum contracts once the Bucks waive them. Bowen in particular has been a huge part of San Antonio's defensive philosophy, and even in his diminished state he could have value as an elder statesmen and occasional rotation player. Oberto could probably make more money in Europe at this point, so it may be the last we've seen of him on this side of the pond.

Regardless, the big takeaway for the Spurs is that they just rolled the dice on Jefferson's potential to pry their championship window open for another year or two. The threesome of Duncan, Ginobili and Duncan clearly didn't have enough help this past season. If Jefferson can make it a fearsome foursome and retain his improved 3-point touch from the corners, it could launch the Spurs back into the title hunt.

And the other teams in the West have to be shaking their heads, because at first it seems unfathomable that the Spurs could get a 20-point scorer for three spare parts. But follow the money, and it all makes sense.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=spurstrade-090623

timvp
06-23-2009, 02:39 PM
Not a very good take on the situation ... especially due to the factual errors.

But yes, Jefferson is overpaid. He's not worth what he'll make this year. However, this trade is exactly what the Spurs needed to do to remain true contenders.

Props to Holt for opening his wallet and props to RC for giving the half guaranteed deals that made this possible.

Great work all the way around :tu

coyotes_geek
06-23-2009, 02:40 PM
The deal surprisingly also makes small-market San Antonio a tax payer, putting the Spurs $4.5 million over the tax line for this season without a real obvious remedy for getting back under. They could save some of it by drafting a foreign player with their first-round pick (not exactly unheard of around these parts) and the rest by trading either Matt Bonner or Roger Mason for a non-guaranteed deal, but at that point they'd be cutting into bone.

Um, John...............

Spurtacus
06-23-2009, 02:41 PM
So the trades does take us out of our 2010 plan? Thats a shame. I thought it was a longshot to bring in a big market player anyways; but you never know.

Mark in Austin
06-23-2009, 02:45 PM
I never thought I'd type this, but Hollinger should stick to writing about his made up stats. It sure beats writing about made-up facts.

tmtcsc
06-23-2009, 02:46 PM
Um, John...............

Yessir...talking out of his ass.

Phenomanul
06-23-2009, 02:48 PM
I guess the Spurs' 2010 plan was having enough money to bring Splitter over next summer...

urunobili
06-23-2009, 02:50 PM
Guys... Our possibilities of having the Gist signed have just came down dramatically aren't they? :depressed

lurker23
06-23-2009, 02:51 PM
Guys... Our possibilities of having the Gist signed have just came down dramatically aren't they? :depressed

Nope, if anything they've increased. Gist would be a relatively cheap signing, and adds a little depth to the 4 position. As timvp has been saying, that makes Gist a very good fit for this offseason.

EricB
06-23-2009, 02:52 PM
I wouldn't say the Spurs are out of the 2010 plan just yet...

lurker23
06-23-2009, 02:55 PM

True, though any significant signing in 2010 either relies on guys coming here for significantly less (not horribly likely, but one can hope), no Manu Ginobili (I sure hope this isn't the case), or Jefferson opting out of his contract (not likely at all).

coyotes_geek
06-23-2009, 02:56 PM

They are unless Jefferson is willing to walk away from $15.2 mil for 2010-2011.

EricB
06-23-2009, 02:57 PM
Anybody with some statistics know how can do what Hollinger does. It's nice to see him write something not so numbers based, but after reading it you realize it's still garbage and in this instance factually incorrect. Not to mention the glaring holes we still have in the froncourt outside of Tim Duncan that are championship breakers.

We aren't a contender until we get another quality big. It's that simple.

We?

Who's we?

EricB
06-23-2009, 02:58 PM
True, though any significant signing in 2010 either relies on guys coming here for significantly less (not horribly likely, but one can hope), no Manu Ginobili (I sure hope this isn't the case), or Jefferson opting out of his contract (not likely at all).

Ginobili taking less COULD help.

I've heard from reliable people though that they wanted Chris Bosh real bad and who knows if thats still on or out the window now, haven't talked to said person about it.

DPG21920
06-23-2009, 03:00 PM
Spurs are not in the luxury tax yet, wtf?

DPG21920
06-23-2009, 03:00 PM
We?

Who's we?

You do the same sh*t, don't be a douche.

DPG21920
06-23-2009, 03:02 PM
Does anyone think this scenario is feasible:

Gino and Tim are healthy and fully recovered. Jefferson fits well with the Spurs next year. Gino gets extended and RJ opts out to get his last long term contract (4 years 25M)?

baseline bum
06-23-2009, 03:03 PM

They're going to have more than $47 million committed to Duncan, Parker, and Jefferson. I don't think they'll find anyone better than Manu for the $6-$7 million they might have left after that. The 2010 plan is dead, and I'm glad as hell. There's going to be potential to sign a lot of so-so players to really bad contracts next summer with all the capspace everyone is going to have. Summer 2010 is a sucker bet for almost every team in the league clearing room for it. Miami, Chicago, New York, Brooklyn, and Cleveland (if LeBron stays) are the only teams with any real shot of landing anything good in that FA market.

MoSpur
06-23-2009, 03:04 PM
We need help defensively. A big man who can rebound and block shots. I hope Ian can do that.

EricB
You do the same sh*t, don't be a douche.

I don't do the same shit.

Pipe down kid.

Mr.Bottomtooth
We?

Who's we?

Really?

baseline bum
Does anyone think this scenario is feasible:

Gino and Tim are healthy and fully recovered. Jefferson fits well with the Spurs next year. Gino gets extended and RJ opts out to get his last long term contract (4 years 25M)?

Not at all. No way Jefferson is going to opt out of $15 million for '10-'11. At age 31 in the summer of '11 he should have no problem getting a better contract than 4 years, $25 million anyways.

DPG21920
06-23-2009, 03:05 PM

Pipe down kid.

Yes you do, I can show you an example if you would like....So just shh girl.

timvp
06-23-2009, 03:05 PM
They're going to have more than $47 million committed to Duncan, Parker, and Jefferson. I don't think they'll find anyone better than Manu for the $6-$7 million they might have left after that. The 2010 plan is dead, and I'm glad as hell. There's going to be potential to sign a lot of so-so players to really bad contracts next summer with all the capspace everyone is going to have. Summer 2010 is a sucker bet for almost every team in the league clearing room for it. Miami, Chicago, New York, Brooklyn, and Cleveland (if LeBron stays) are the only teams with any real shot of landing anything good in that FA market.

Yeah, I never trusted that the Spurs would be able to land anything of note in the 2010 plan. Hell, I would have been surprised with a Jefferson level of player.

Trading expiring assets for a known commodity >>>>>> 2010 gamble

SouthTexasRancher
06-23-2009, 03:06 PM
Nope, if anything they've increased. Gist would be a relatively cheap signing, and adds a little depth to the 4 position. As timvp has been saying, that makes Gist a very good fit for this offseason.

:tu:tu:tu...:toast

DPG21920
06-23-2009, 03:06 PM
Not at all. No way Jefferson is going to opt out of $15 million for '10-'11. At age 31 he in the summer of '11 he should have no problem getting a better contract than 4 years, $25 million anyways.

Really? You think he will make more than 6M per year when he is 31? Considering the vast majority of the league thinks he is valued at that currently?

Many say Hedo is better than him and he makes 7M and many say Hedo won't be worth the 10M he will get per year.

Spurs Brazil
06-23-2009, 03:07 PM
The deal surprisingly also makes small-market San Antonio a tax payer, putting the Spurs $4.5 million over the tax line for this season without a real obvious remedy for getting back under.

This season is 09-10 right?

Galileo
This locks up another Spurs title.

ChumpDumper
There was also the very real possibility of the salary cap shrinking two years in a row, narrowing the options of players for which the Spurs could actually compete.

timvp
06-23-2009, 03:08 PM
Only way Jefferson opts out is if the Spurs win the championship and his value skyrockets. Right now, he's worth about $7-9M per year.

DPG21920
06-23-2009, 03:08 PM
This season is 09-10 right?

He was wrong. He could end up being right by default if the Spurs use the MLE, but...

lefty
06-23-2009, 03:09 PM
" The threesome of Duncan, Ginobili and Duncan "

:lmao

DPG21920
06-23-2009, 03:09 PM
Only way Jefferson opts out is if the Spurs win the championship and his value skyrockets. Right now, he's worth about $8-9M per year.

Exactly, so if the spurs offer him that for 4 years (assuming everyone is healthy and he fits like expected), do you see him opting out?

timvp
06-23-2009, 03:12 PM
Exactly, so if the spurs offer him that for 4 years (assuming everyone is healthy and he fits like expected), do you see him opting out?Turning down that amount of money he is owed for one year is pretty damn unlikely.

baseline bum
06-23-2009, 03:13 PM
Turning down that amount of money he is owed for one year is pretty damn unlikely.

Yeah, the only way he'd ever consider that is if he thinks he'd be worth significantly less than $7 million per by age 31.

MaNu4Tres
06-23-2009, 03:14 PM
We need help defensively. A big man who can rebound and block shots. I hope Ian can do that.

Mason and Bonner for Camby could be a realistic situation. Then we can resign Oberto for the minimum once he gets released from the Bucs and maybe even Kurt Thomas if he gets bought out. We'd then still have the MLE and the draft to add pieces to our frontcourt or backcourt. I just think this trade makes Mason expendable especially if Finley opts to resign and Bowen comes back and with Hill bidding for more playing time next year at the 2 and 1. Even if Finley doesn't opt to come back we can use part of our MLE to go after Dante Jones or Rodney Carney.

Mal
06-23-2009, 03:15 PM
Is he greek ?

DPG21920
06-23-2009, 03:15 PM
Mason and Bonner for Camby could be a realistic situation. Then we can resign Oberto for the minimum once he gets released from the Bucs and maybe even Kurt Thomas if he gets bought out. We'd then still have the MLE and the draft to add pieces to our frontcourt.

That trade does not work salary wise. It would have to be Mason/Fin/Bonner or something like that.

lefty
06-23-2009, 03:16 PM
To avoid having 145 threads on the trade, I thought it would be a good idea to post other Jefferson related articles in this thread.

48 Minutes of Hell on Richard Jefferson (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-41-127/48-Minutes-of-Hell-on-Richard-Jefferson.html)

Timothy Varner of 48 Minutes of Hell (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/) watches the Spurs like hawks watch field mice (as in, not casually, and with very good eyes). He weighs in on the news the Spurs have agreed in principle to acquire Richard Jefferson (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4281291) from the Bucks for Bruce Bowen, Fabricio Oberto and Kurt Thomas:

Old flames die hard. In February several news outlets reported that the Spurs were in talks with the Nets and Bucks to trade for either Richard Jefferson or Vince Carter. Apparently, those talks never died.
Chad Ford is reporting that the Spurs and Bucks have agreed to a deal that would send Fabricio Oberto, Kurt Thomas and Bruce Bowen to Milwaukee for Richard Jefferson. This is a no brainer for the Spurs, and it puts them right back in the championship hunt. Richard Jefferson is a monster upgrade.
Jefferson's skill set couldn't be a better match for San Antonio. He can score going to the hoop, is a capable defender, and shoots nearly .400 from the arc. His 19 ppg give San Antonio the 4th scorer they've needed for several seasons. Jefferson averaged a mere 2 TO per game last season as Milwaukee's best player. It's hard to imagine a better trade scenario. The Spurs just struck oil.
Relative to his salary, Richard Jefferson may under produce. His career PER is 16.7. That's a little low for a player owed 14 and 15 million the next two seasons. But he's only 29. And his production is vastly superior to anything the Spurs have had on the wing since Sean Elliott.
My best guess is that the Bucks will buy out Bruce Bowen and we'll see him return to San Antonio prior to training camp. If that happens, this trade goes from a homerun to a grand slam. The only downside is that the move leaves the Spurs thin upfront, but one suspects they have a back up plan in the works to replace Kurt Thomas. Oberto's best play is two seasons behind him, and the Spurs actually win by freeing up his roster spot. By adding Jefferson, the Spurs have converted Roger Mason Jr. into a potent 5th option or valuable trade chip. The ripple effects go from the center to shore, and I'm hard pressed to find a single negative in this move.
Aside from landing Jefferson, the other story here is that the Spurs have moved away from their 2010 cap strategy. Jefferson's salary eats up everything they had on reserve for a big name free agent run. But Jefferson is probably as good as any player they were likely to land next summer, so in that sense they've simply accelerated their rebuild with a player that can help them within Tim Duncan's window. They're not waiting on 2010 by sitting out 2009. This also means there is no reason for the team to play cautious with their checkbook. With their 2010 plan on the scrapheap, the team could theoretically make another trade for a player whose salary would push them against the taxline.
As I write this, my head keeps going back to something that might be missed in all this. San Antonio is good to its fans. Here is a team that is committed to winning. After being bounced in the first round, they could have faded from view just as everyone expected them to. But instead, they got off the mat and started swinging. They're a small market team with a relatively poor ownership group in a bad economy. And they just added a big contract to their books when half the league is trying to shed cap. Take note

Acquiring Richard Jefferson: Hardly a No-Brainer (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-41-128/Acquiring-Richard-Jefferson--Hardly-a-No-Brainer.html) http://assets.espn.go.com/profile/i/trans/icon_report_hi.gif (http://myespn.go.com/profile/violation?ou=truehoopadmin&at=7&vid=1245786997080)
June 23, 2009 3:56 PM

Assuming this Richard Jefferson for Bruce Bowen, Fabricio Oberto and Kurt Thomas trade (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4281291) becomes official, the Spurs will, no doubt, be declared the big winners not only of this trade, but possibly of the whole week (which includes the draft) and the off-season.
The Bucks are seen as having done well simply by getting rid of Jefferson's inflated contract. Yet there is a lot to recommend the move by the Spurs. As John Hollinger points out (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=spurstrade-090623), Jefferson has the ability to make the corner 3, which tends to be available in the Spurs' offense. He alleviates the scoring pressure (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-41-127/48-Minutes-of-Hell-on-Richard-Jefferson.html) from the Spurs' big three. He can also supply some of the slashing that comes from an injury-prone Manu Ginobili.
But it's hardly a slam dunk.
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/0623/nba_g_jefferson_300.jpg
Remember when Richard Jefferson was an intimidating athlete at both ends of the floor? He's not even 30, but those days are already past.
(Al Bello, Getty Images Sport)There are three boilerplate concerns:

Richard Jefferson has a reputation as a guy who speaks his mind, and in so doing causes friction with teammates and coaches. Perhaps the Spurs have an advantage here, with strong team leadership from Tim Duncan and Gregg Popovich, but they have gone to great lengths to avoid such players in the past.
Jefferson will be 29 next season, which would seem to make him a player in his prime. Yet Jefferson appears to already be several years into decline. His true shooting percentage and PER were at their peaks in 2005-2006, while his percentages of rebounds, assists, steals and blocks were at their best a year before that. I know, I know, he played with Jason Kidd, who helps to inflate teammates statistics. But the fact remains that he is, now, essentially an average NBA player.
The Bucks were slightly better, last year, when Jefferson was on the bench (http://basketballvalue.com/player.php?year=2008-2009&id=221).
Here's where the move seems to be slightly higher risk still: This robs the Spurs of cap space in 2010. So the analysis of this deal is not about what they gave up in the trade -- Bowen, Thomas and Oberto are worth Jefferson, for sure. But for this deal, in the summer of 2010, the Spurs would have been Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and oodles of cap space. Who would that have become? Somebody! Potentially somebody really special. And that's the player the Spurs silently included in this deal today.
I understand why they did that. They have a few years left of Tim Duncan's career, and it's going to take a lot of improvement to win the West -- the Lakers are far better at this point, and new threats like the Nuggets, Blazers and Thunder are entering the scene. So there's a mandate to win now, and inspired by that, they have gambled in a way they might not have in the past.
It may well work out beautifully. But this is not a steal, nor is it a no-brainer. It's one of the highest-risk moves the Spurs have made in the Tim Duncan era.

IronMexican
06-23-2009, 03:17 PM

Pipe down kid.

When the Cards beat the D Backs, you made a "You're welcome"thread referring to the Dodgers. Are you Albert Pujols?

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-23-2009, 03:18 PM
:lol

bresilhac
06-23-2009, 03:21 PM

Without a doubt. SAS will crush all competition in the West. Lakers will not be such a problem now.

MaNu4Tres
06-23-2009, 03:22 PM
That trade does not work salary wise. It would have to be Mason/Fin/Bonner or something like that.

When is the date when the salaries of the 09'-10' year are counted for trades. Whenever that is Mason and Bonner would work for Camby.

DPG21920
06-23-2009, 03:23 PM
This does not even come close to locking a title. Spurs need another piece without question. This move does not do anything to make other teams nervous. If it leads to another move, then yes.

But as of now, it means nothing.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-23-2009, 03:24 PM
Without a doubt. SAS will crush all competition in the West. Lakers will not be such a problem now.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves just yet. Yes, this is a badass trade, but we still gotta find a couple bigs and play the game.

coyotes_geek
When is the date when the salaries of the 09'-10' year are counted for trades. Whenever that is Mason and Bonner would work for Camby.

The new cap-year kicks in July 1st.

resistanze
Richard Jefferson has a reputation as a guy who speaks his mind, and in so doing causes friction with teammates and coaches. Perhaps the Spurs have an advantage here, with strong team leadership from Tim Duncan and Gregg Popovich, but they have gone to great lengths to avoid such players in the past.

Richard Jefferson speaking his mind:

"I like men."

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-23-2009, 03:26 PM

"I like men."

DPG21920
06-23-2009, 03:27 PM
Yes, if the Lakers lose Ariza or Odom this move is magnified assuming health. But as of now, it really does nothing to propel us into contention without another move.

bresilhac
06-23-2009, 03:31 PM
This does not even come close to locking a title. Spurs need another piece without question. This move does not do anything to make other teams nervous. If it leads to another move, then yes.

On the contrary. The Jefferson move is very far from being inconsequential as you say. Adding a legit 20 ppg man to the big three mix will give Popovich a wider assortment of player combinations to throw at opponents next season. And at the very least other Western powers will have to take notice of this substantial improvement by the SAS. Yes, SAS should acquire a big for the mle, but how much of an impact will that player really have?

iggypop123
06-23-2009, 03:36 PM
if we bring back everyone i have nothing to worry about. should be fun games. the nuggets are pretenders they will collapse next year like the hornets. just skip to the west finals already for lakers spurs

Drachen
06-23-2009, 03:39 PM
" The threesome of Duncan, Ginobili and Duncan "

I think that this combination finally puts to rest which team had the best "big three" in history.

Spurminator
06-23-2009, 03:44 PM
Jefferson in 2010, at worst, is a big fat expiring contract. We'll still be players in the market.

pad300
06-23-2009, 03:45 PM
Turning down that amount of money he is owed for one year is pretty damn unlikely.

There is actually a possibility of this happening. Remember the CBA is up for renegotiation for the 10/11 season. Noises have been made about the players getting a smaller fraction of Basketball related income due to the financial troubles that afflict some of the league teams (ie. lowering the salary cap significantly). A 2010 contract would be under the current rules. It might be worth Jefferson's while to get a contract under the current CBA vs. a future CBA; that's for him and his agent to judge....

all_heart
06-23-2009, 03:50 PM
if we bring back everyone i have nothing to worry about. should be fun games. the nuggets are pretenders they will collapse next year like the hornets. just skip to the west finals already for lakers spurs

You mean the Rockets didn't scare you at all?! The nuggets collapsing is a real possibility, however another team usually rises if another collapses. The Spurs don't factor in this scenario so maybe the Hornets will be back. Personally I think the Spurs and Blazers will be major factors in the west next year.

DPG21920
06-23-2009, 03:57 PM
I agree with Laker fan. Houston does not scare them. No one does. Houston played hard, but did not have the talent. Lakers were just coasting and playing down to the level of their opponent.

koriwhat
06-23-2009, 04:01 PM
We?

Who's we?

shut up... your shtick is getting old.

Budkin
06-23-2009, 04:02 PM
Wow... I'm not sure how I feel about this... no Bruce on the Spurs is.... whoa.

all_heart
06-23-2009, 04:05 PM
I agree with Laker fan. Houston does not scare them. No one does. Houston played hard, but did not have the talent. Lakers were just coasting and playing down to the level of their opponent.

Don't forget Houston was without Yao and T-Mac. Either one of those guys healthy could do some damage whether the Lakers sweat them or not.

EricB
06-23-2009, 05:38 PM
shut up... your shtick is getting old.

Don't like it, tough shit.

DPG21920
06-23-2009, 05:39 PM
Don't like it, tough shit.

You are an idiot. How is David Lee's jump shot and shot blocking coming along :lmao

mytespurs
06-23-2009, 05:43 PM

Hold off on lifting that trophy. This makes the Spurs better but it will take more to make them a title contender. Good deal though! :toast

mytespurs
06-23-2009, 05:46 PM

Agreed! It makes the Spurs better to compete in the west; this move alone does not equal 5th championship for Spurs...not just yet.

I'm happy the Spurs are making moves to get better but no way am I going to start smacktalking. The Lakers are still the team to beat in the west and baring any significant injuries, they will more than likely be at the top again.

lefty
06-23-2009, 05:49 PM

"I like men."
:lol

Agloco
06-23-2009, 05:54 PM
Yeah, I never trusted that the Spurs would be able to land anything of note in the 2010 plan. Hell, I would have been surprised with a Jefferson level of player.

+1

I think it's become painfully obvious to everyone that any star FA is going to a bigger market first. There really isn't/wasn't any 2010 plan for smaller markets.

The only thing that's bad about this trade is RJeff's salary. Sans that, it's probably one of the top ten best trades SA has ever made.

rascal
06-23-2009, 05:55 PM

Agree, it's better to trade for an upgrade in talent then relying on the longshot of signing a star free agent. The spurs already were burned trying to sign the big name free agent while sacrificing making moves for two years to save cap space for the big run at a free agent only to get Rasho.

Agloco
06-23-2009, 05:56 PM
We?

Who's we?

:sleep

:wgaf:

rascal
06-23-2009, 05:58 PM
Agreed! It makes the Spurs better to compete in the west; this move alone does not equal 5th championship for Spurs...not just yet.

I'm happy the Spurs are making moves to get better but no way am I going to start smacktalking. The Lakers are still the team to beat in the west and baring any significant injuries, they will more than likely be at the top again.

Good post. Significant upgrades on the frontline are still needed to match up with the Lakers.

duncan228
06-23-2009, 06:24 PM
Spurs take big stride back toward top of West by acquiring Jefferson (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/chris_mannix/06/23/jefferson.spurs/?eref=sircrc)
Chris Mannix
SI.com

Hold off on burying the San Antonio Spurs.

The Spurs' pending trade with money-saving Milwaukee for Richard Jefferson breathes new life into a franchise that has won four titles since 1999 but has struggled with age and injury issues during the last two seasons.

In exchange for Bruce Bowen, Kurt Thomas and Fabricio Oberto, the Spurs are set to receive a 29-year-old swingman who can play two positions and whose offensive skills will relieve Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili of some of the scoring load. Jefferson is coming off a season in which he averaged 19.6 points and shot a career-high 39.7 percent from three-point range.

With this move, the Spurs have addressed their need for more athleticism and playmaking on the wing. Michael Finley, 36, started at small forward last season.

"This is a great trade for San Antonio," a Western Conference scout said. "[Jefferson] gives them another reliable scorer. He thrives in open-court settings, and with Parker and [backup point guard] George Hill on the floor, he will get plenty of opportunities. He's not the defensive stopper Bowen was, but he will buy into their defensive system and fit in smoothly."

Equally important for the Spurs is that they did not have to break apart their core to make the deal, which was awaiting league approval late Tuesday. Bowen was a key contributor to three title teams, but his playing time declined sharply last season as he played a reserve role for the first time in his eight-year tenure in San Antonio. Oberto and Thomas were valuable role players who protected Duncan by defending the top frontcourt players early in games, but neither was considered indispensable. The Spurs also were able to keep young prospects Hill and power forward Ian Mahinmi, who will be counted on to be rotation players next season.

The trade, however, leaves the Spurs thin in the frontcourt and pushes them over the luxury-tax threshold, a rarity for them. (Jefferson is owed $14.2 million next season and $15 million in 2010-11, while the three players going to Milwaukee have one year left on their deals.) San Antonio has three second-round picks (Nos. 37, 51 and 53) in Thursday's draft. The Spurs also have their mid-level exception available in a free-agent market that includes big men Rasheed Wallace, Anderson Varejao, Antonio McDyess and Chris Andersen. Wallace is expected to garner a lot of attention from top contenders. Cleveland is believed to be the early front-runner, but the Spurs -- if they're willing to plunge deeper into luxury-tax territory -- could tempt Wallace with the chance to play alongside a dominant big man in Duncan.

Even with a few roster moves still to be determined, the Jefferson trade has catapulted the Spurs back into competition with the Lakers for next season's Western Conference title.

bobby4germany
02-19-2010, 10:14 AM
WOW, how things have changed! :bang

baseline bum
02-19-2010, 10:20 AM
Man, my posts were full of win here. :pctoss

The 2010 plan is dead, and I'm glad as hell. There's going to be potential to sign a lot of so-so players to really bad contracts next summer with all the capspace everyone is going to have.

Not at all. No way Jefferson is going to opt out of $15 million for '10-'11. At age 31 in the summer of '11 he should have no problem getting a better contract than 4 years, $25 million anyways.

sa_butta
02-19-2010, 10:25 AM
Why does it seem when we do get a big name in the offseason it almost nevers pans out well for us?? Its like the players have a good year, come over here and suck it up.

Brazil
02-19-2010, 10:32 AM
Why does it seem when we do get a big name in the offseason it almost nevers pans out well for us?? Its like the players have a good year, come over here and suck it up.

Pop ?

Big P
02-19-2010, 10:51 AM
Maybe this was the problem. This team had sky high expectations before they even stepped on the court.

I dont think it was that far fetched to think that someone being paid superstar money was going to help us out...it didn't work out...we couldn't have seen it coming.

hater
02-19-2010, 10:58 AM

boutons_deux
02-19-2010, 11:07 AM
Tony is hobbled, Manu's scoring is way down (but you have to love his effort), Tim is playing well but has insufficient help (how does it feel to be KG in Minny?), Pop is an old dog that can't learn new tricks.

Spurs gonna miss the playoffs.

BacktoBasics
02-19-2010, 11:20 AM
I do think Dick has underachieved but I put more of his lack of success on Pop than I do Jefferson. Pop constantly tries to make players something they're not rather than finding a productive way to exploit their strengths.

purist
02-19-2010, 12:04 PM
I do think Dick has underachieved but I put more of his lack of success on Pop than I do Jefferson. Pop constantly tries to make players something they're not rather than finding a productive way to exploit their strengths.

One Tim Duncan might disagree.

If Pop is guilty of anything over his career, it is placating the best power forward ever to pay the game. Maybe, just maybe, Pop has tried to mold and meld players' games to complement that of the cornerstone to this team, Duncan. Maybe he is guilty of doing this to a fault, but if he is, can you really blame him? Four titles say you can't.

gospursgojas
02-19-2010, 12:40 PM
If the Spurs miss the playoffs they better draft DeMarcus Cousins.

That guys a fat d-bag...and not a pop guy

SpurNation
02-19-2010, 01:31 PM
So was thought. :depressed

oligarchy
02-19-2010, 01:39 PM
We can go back to before the season, but I told Spurs fans to wait for this team to get it together. I seriously said expect this team to be .500 through 20 games. We're through 50 and it just doesn't seem to be getting better.

LOL. Was it before or after this post? Did your 'inside' information miss something?

Who understand how much better the Spurs have gotten in the past month. We have upgraded at nearly every spot that needed an upgrade. We are going from Bowen to Jefferson, Thomas to Blair and Oberto to McDyess.

When most people look at last year's Spurs team they see a few things, a team that was hurt, a team that was eliminated in the first round and a lot of old guys.

Health is always a wild card. Look at last year's Jazz, Wizards and Warriors. Teams that dropped mostly because of being injured (thank goodness the Warriors didn't do as well as us or the Jazz so we could have that 37th pick).

Health aside, we have gotten younger. No more unathletic pass their prime Vaughn, Udoka, Thomas, Oberto, and Bowen, but now we have players who can bring some athletic ability and only get better as opposed to decrease in playing time and all around ability. And now the Spurs bring in hungry to win players such as McDyess, Jefferson and Haislip to go along with possibly the youngest group we have had in Blair, McClinton, (maybe) Gist Hairston and Ian. Throw in Hill and Mason who are looking forward to their second season with the Spurs and the past two offseasons combined have brought in some good players with out the Spurs giving up any of their big 3.

I only bring this up because I see people like Hollinger and that other idiot who couldn't spell Ginobili saying the Spurs have not gotten better than the Mavs or the Lakers, and even Skip Bayless is hardly talking about us. This morning he said the Celtics and the Lakers were most improved teams in the NBA. But us as fans who watch over 90 games a year picking at every little detail knows just how much of an upgrade we have made in just such little time.

ohmwrecker
02-19-2010, 01:44 PM
I don't know. I could be wrong, but I think I am starting to see an attitude shift in RJ. He looked a lot more aggressive in Indiana and Timmy looks appreciatively more encouraging and supportive. It's not too late to see a return in this investment. If RJ has a late season/playoff renaissance, the Spurs might do a little damage moving forward. As long as the guys play hard and do their best to win every game from here on out, win or lose, I will be satisfied with the season.

Spursmania
02-19-2010, 02:18 PM
RJ having a late resurgence is the best we can hope for. Afterall, he was once gifted and talented capable of putting up big numbers.

God knows what the hell happened.:(

Allanon
02-19-2010, 02:34 PM

Well played, DPG.

You're right for a change.

wildbill2u
02-19-2010, 02:40 PM
My best friend who's been a Spur fan with me through the good times and bad recently said, "Cheer up, things could be worse."

So I cheered up--and things got worse.

Allanon
02-19-2010, 03:12 PM
My best friend who's been a Spur fan with me through the good times and bad recently said, "Cheer up, things could be worse."

So I cheered up--and things got worse.

:lol That belongs in the Reader's Digest "anecdotes" section.

SenorSpur
02-19-2010, 05:43 PM
It's unfortunate that the offseason acquisitions have blown up in Pop's face. Personally, I'm not even pissed at he and RC about that. Disappointed, but not pissed.

Given those failures, I'm more pissed off that them for not flipping those expiring contracts into some tangible, young players that could've raised the talent level on this team.

DPG21920
02-19-2010, 07:18 PM
Well played, DPG.

You're right for a change.

Sons, please.

ChumpDumper
02-19-2010, 07:22 PM
It's unfortunate that the offseason acquisitions have blown up in Pop's face. Personally, I'm not even pissed at he and RC about that. Disappointed, but not pissed.

Given those failures, I'm more pissed off that them for not flipping those expiring contracts into some tangible, young players that could've raised the talent level on this team.I think the fiscal reality is Holt & co. want those expiring deals to expire.

SenorSpur
02-19-2010, 07:44 PM
I think the fiscal reality is Holt & co. want those expiring deals to expire.

Looks like that new "bold" strategy lasted for one season or until obvious failiure - whichever came first.

ChumpDumper
02-19-2010, 07:46 PM
Bitch all you want. The bottom line is it's about the bottom line.

baseline bum
02-19-2010, 09:52 PM
Given those failures, I'm more pissed off that them for not flipping those expiring contracts into some tangible, young players that could've raised the talent level on this team.

It doesn't make any sense to be pissed about that. Holt stepped up the plate bigtime this summer, allowing RC to go more than $21 million over the cap to get Jefferson and sign McDyess and Blair. The Spurs payroll this season is only $6M lower than New York's! It sucks that it hasn't worked out at all, but no Spurs fan can ever make the cheapness argument this season; especially with attendance down from last year (the Spurs are averaging 366 less fans a night despite having more give-aways and discounts than I can remember last season).

DPG21920
02-24-2010, 11:21 PM
When is RJ going to have that "break out" game? He showed some nice improvement on the glass tonight, but he has no confidence in his shot or on offense in general.

Will it ever click? Even for just a short spurt?

dbestpro
02-24-2010, 11:24 PM
When is RJ going to have that "break out" game? He showed some nice improvement on the glass tonight, but he has no confidence in his shot or on offense in general.

Will it ever click? Even for just a short spurt?

What's the purpose of knocking RJ now? He was 1 point and t rebound from a double double and the Spurs won. Ain't this what we been sayin we want from him?

ace3g
02-24-2010, 11:28 PM
it seemed like this game he stayed more in the paint and tried to post up more, maybe keeping there will atleast get him confidence going for rebounds and maybe turn him more into a back to the basket player instead of a jump shooter, which he isn't

G-Dawgg
02-25-2010, 01:09 AM
RJ is a stud. His career numbers show that he's proved that he can play in this league. He is young and athletic and he could learn the spurs system with a bit of patience and coaching. That being said, Popovick needs to get a clue and realize he's got a he'll of a player here on his roster and needs to do his job and utilize RJ to his strengths and not make him play out of position at the 4 all the time and make him play a game that is totally not his style of play...