PDA

View Full Version : Whats Next for the Spurs?

antgomez2009
06-23-2009, 03:29 PM
I believe that this is only the beginning....

Pick up a valuable player in the draft, possibly Danny Green if available, or trade the picks for a legit Center.

They Still need to figure out what they are going to do with IME, Gooden and whether or not Finley Decides to take on the option!

Another possibly Trade!

If not, free agency is pretty thin for them, but they can still land a Good big man and some role players, pending on what they do with the contracts!

Whats the next best move?

timvp
06-23-2009, 03:30 PM
Find a way to get a rebounder/shotblocker on the team. Bring Bowen back. Be smart filling the rest of the roster.

That's about it. The draft doesn't really factor much into the equation.

meestahmeestah
06-23-2009, 03:32 PM
They Still need to figure out what they are going to do with IME, Gooden and whether or not Finley Decides to take on the option!

Am I mistaken or are Udoka, Vaughan and Gooden no longer under contract?

coyotes_geek
06-23-2009, 03:33 PM
Sign Robert Horry, PJ Brown and Dikembe Mutombo to get the team's average age back above 35.

Spurs Brazil
06-23-2009, 03:34 PM
If we can get McDyess for the minimum it'd be fantastic

Spurtacus
06-23-2009, 03:37 PM
I'd be fine with Finley coming back. He'll be farther back on the depth chart. Never hurts to have another 3pt shooter.

Bring Bowen back. If Bucks buyout Kurt Thomas bring him back since Mahinmi is still unproven. I expect Gist to be on the team now.

Ime is gone. Perhaps we can move Bonner. We really need another big that can rebound/shot block to compliment Timmy.

antgomez2009
06-23-2009, 03:38 PM

dam, forgot about McDyess! I think thats a legit move right there, especially since Detriot is declining!

MaNu4Tres
I think the next best move is a play for Camby on July 1st when the salaries for the 09'-2010' year kick in. Camby will make 7.6 million, therefore a Mason and Bonner trade for Camby could work. With the addition of Richard Jefferson, I believe this could make Mason expendable IF Bruce comes back. If Bruce does come back and we do make a trade for Camby. We could then : A. Resign Oberto for the minimum and even Kurt Thomas if he's bought out. B. We could use the MLE to go after Rasheed Wallace C. We could use part of the MLE to bring in Dante Jones or even Rodney Carney or Matt Barnes and use the other part of the MLE for a Big to back up Camby.

I just believe there won't be any room to resign Mason for the 5-6 million that he's going to be looking for in the summer of 2010. Especially since Manu will be a free agent and will be asking for at least 7 million. So you might as well get rid of him now and get something in return that could help us. And Camby would help us in a BIG way. Another reason why it wouldn't really effect us is if Bowen and Finley come back next year. Being that Finley and Mason basically bring the same things to the table except for the fact that Mason can bring the ball up the court.

timvp
If we can get McDyess for the minimum it'd be fantasticI think that's the first phone call the Spurs should make on July 1.

Dr. Gonzo
Sign Robert Horry, PJ Brown and Dikembe Mutombo to get the team's average age back above 35.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h290/midgetonadonkey/ghoulies12shot3lvv4.jpg

Mal
06-23-2009, 03:39 PM

Dice have ring ?

coyotes_geek
06-23-2009, 03:41 PM
Dice have ring ?

Don't think so. I believe he ended up in Detroit in 04-05.

montgod
06-23-2009, 03:42 PM

Sorry... there is no way that McDyess takes a contract for the minimum. Besides that, I think the Spurs need a big that will be able to man the post for the whole season. McDyess is a power forward and showed signs of breaking down at the end of the season when given too much playing time. I would love the Spurs to have him, but seems a bit unrealistic now.

Jefferson was an excellent addition. Now to see if any other moves are pending via the draft or FA.

I really hope that Ian turns out to be something even if it's just a poor man's KThomas.

baseline bum
06-23-2009, 03:48 PM
I think that's the first phone call the Spurs should make on July 1.

The second one should be asking Dice to play for the MLE after he laughs and hangs up the first time. Of course, Finley has to retire for that to have any chance of happening. :depressed

hater
06-23-2009, 03:49 PM
Shaq?

coyotes_geek
06-23-2009, 03:50 PM
The second one should be asking Dice to play for the MLE after he laughs and hangs up the first time. Of course, Finley has to retire for that to have any chance of happening. :depressed

If someone out there is really willing to offer McDyess full MLE then they can have him.

mytespurs
06-23-2009, 03:52 PM
Shaq?

:lmao

velik_m
06-23-2009, 03:53 PM
I'm thinking the spurs already have a big lined up. No way they would put themselfs in this cap situation without a plan to address the hole in the frontcourt.

timvp
06-23-2009, 03:53 PM

Didn't McDyess turn down near MLE money to re-sign with the Pistons after the AI trade? Few players might jump at a chance for a ring but McDyess is one of those who might.

Bruno
06-23-2009, 03:54 PM
Right now, Spurs have only Bonner and Mahinmi as big to pair with Duncan.
Bonner has been a disaster against Mavs. Mahinmi has played 23 minutes in NBA.

Next step is to get some good bigmen via trade and/or FA.

Spurs Brazil
06-23-2009, 03:55 PM

I hope so but I don't mind bring Fabrico back as 4th or 5th big

Marcus Bryant
06-23-2009, 03:56 PM

Exactly. The MLE should go towards finding a starting caliber big. Then hopefully they can find a small trade to bring in a solid first off the bench kind of big. Mahinmi and Bonner should be nothing more than the 4th and 5th bigs.

Spurs Brazil
06-23-2009, 03:58 PM
Exactly. The MLE should go towards finding a starting caliber big. Then hopefully they can find a small trade to bring in a solid first off the bench kind of big. Mahinmi and Bonner should be nothing more than the 4th and 5th bigs.

Finley not picking his option would help a lot.

venitian navigator
06-23-2009, 03:59 PM
mle (better just part of it): Gooden - Mc Dyess - Wallace
lle (or the remaining part of the MLE) : Nesterovic
Then sign our young players (Hairston, Williams, Gist plus our second choices this year, hopefully one of them a point guard) and call it a season...

MaNu4Tres
06-23-2009, 03:59 PM
Trade for Camby!!! after July 1st. Mason and Bonner for Camby then use the MLE to address the 2 and or back up 5/4

DPG21920
06-23-2009, 04:00 PM

That is asking a lot from the FO that just made a big move. That would put them well into the luxury tax if they used the full MLE. Even a significant portion would put them there.

meestahmeestah
06-23-2009, 04:01 PM

I have read seperate reports that say both Oliver Miller and Greg Ostertag are attempting NBA comebacks...

Maybe someone should give Bryant "Big Country" Reeves a call and see if he wants in.

velik_m
06-23-2009, 04:01 PM
Spurs using all of their MLE would be a big surprise.

coyotes_geek
06-23-2009, 04:03 PM
Spurs using all of their MLE would be a big surprise.

True, but then how many of us thought the Spurs would be willing to add a $14 million dollar player without sending Manu away?

Bruno
06-23-2009, 04:03 PM

I see more a trade than a FA signing because of the luxury tax.

Splitter deciding to man up and sign with Spurs this summer would be also a great idea.

velik_m
06-23-2009, 04:06 PM
Splitter deciding to man up and sign with Spurs this summer would be also a great idea.

But he can get more next summer. On the other hand Tau might want the buyout money, instead of losing him for nothing next year.

spurs1990
06-23-2009, 04:06 PM
So what's our depth chart now?

Starting five:
Parker
Ginobili
Jefferson
Duncan
Gooden

2nd five
Hill
Mason
Finley
Bonner
Mahinmi

Does that sound right?

Spurs Brazil
06-23-2009, 04:07 PM

Starting five:
Parker
Ginobili
Jefferson
Duncan
Gooden

2nd five
Hill
Mason
Finley
Bonner
Mahinmi

Does that sound right?

Gooden is gone

velik_m
06-23-2009, 04:07 PM

Starting five:
Parker
Ginobili
Jefferson
Duncan
Gooden

2nd five
Hill
Mason
Finley
Bonner
Mahinmi

Does that sound right?

No.

Starting five:
Parker
Ginobili
Jefferson
Duncan
???

2nd five
Hill
Mason
Finley
Bonner
Mahinmi

MaNu4Tres
06-23-2009, 04:11 PM
I see more a trade than a FA signing because of the luxury tax.

What do you think about a Mason and Bonner for Camby deal Bruno.

HarlemHeat37
06-23-2009, 04:16 PM
trade Mason, Bonner, and/or Finley..that should be enough to get us a good role player big next to Duncan..it doesn't have to be a big-name, just somebody that can start on a team as a role player..

bring Bowen back and maybe even Kurt, bring Gist in, bring Ian in, and bring one of Hairston or Williams in..all of those seem likely at this point(if Kurt gets bought out) since we need low-cost options..

the trade is the most important part though..

SenorSpur
06-23-2009, 04:18 PM
THe need for a big brings us back to the following possibles:

Marcin Gortat
Rasheed Wallace
Drew Gooden
Splitter?

Still would like to see the Spurs move up into the first round of Thursday's draft to select a young, talented SF (Young, Casspi) and another young big.

Bruno
06-23-2009, 04:20 PM
What do you think about a Mason and Bonner for Camby deal Bruno.

Salaries don't match (even after July 1st). Spurs must add a player (Mahinmi, Hill or Marcus Williams).

I'm quite low on Camby and I wouldn't trade Hill for him.
Now, if Spurs can get him without losing Hill, they should do this trade.

CGD
06-23-2009, 04:22 PM
1) Ian takes his seat at the big boy table.

2) Pursue, but DON'T pay a premium for Gortat or Zaza

3) Perform due diligence on Sean May who today became an UFA. Kid has a chip on his shoulder, plus he's finally healthy.

4) Give Sheed enough time to realize that few contending teams are willing to pay what he asks. Offer him a reasonable 4 year deal (possibly a player option on 3rd and team on last). I know - he's on the "older" side- but I would argue that at 34 a longer term deal would go a long way in getting him to come down on his demands.

5) Keep either Fin/Ime as an (cheap) insurance policy, but not both

Random thought: I think I remember the Spurs had a brief interest in Blair. I wonder if there is anything to that still (or buying a 1st generally). I believe last I read he had dropped on the mock draft boards.

Trimble87
06-23-2009, 04:28 PM
4) Give Sheed enough time to realize that few contending teams are willing to pay what he asks. Offer him a reasonable 4 year deal (possibly a player option on 3rd and team on last). I know - he's on the "older" side- but I would argue that at 34 a longer term deal would go a long way in getting him to come down on his demands.

If I'm not mistaken Sheed is 34 this year... you want to sign him to a 4 year deal?

silk
06-23-2009, 04:32 PM
Spurs probably revisited some talks with the nets to get Jeffeson (big up to all the naysayers...)

Maybe they could revisit the camby trade of last year, it was supposedly fabricio, bruce and hill

I don't have that much faith in pop to handle hill , and for the newt two years, i'd rather have marcus in the starting five

But, what are the odds on the clipps bitin' at a mason, mahinmi, splitter's rights, bonner offer ?

I also like a lot quinton ross who plays for them i think

HarlemHeat37
06-23-2009, 04:36 PM
I don't want to give up Hill in any trade, especially for a guy like Camby..

Mason, Bonner, and/or Finley should be able to bring in somebody good..

silk
06-23-2009, 04:40 PM
Mason, Bonner, and/or Finley should be able to bring in somebody good..

Yes, but the question is who could be this somebody...

They already tried to get camby and, maybe splitter, so they obviously come to mind

then, there's also that Javtokas guy i almost forgot...

I like duncan at C next year, and jeffeson/gist at the forwards slot, but i doubt pop put gist in the rotation, much less the startin line-up next year

Mcdyess would make sense but it'd financially wiser to not get our big through FA but through trade

I'd like a forward able to run in a modified system more centered around tony parker

MaNu4Tres
06-23-2009, 04:47 PM
Yes, but the question is who could be this somebody...

They already tried to get camby and, maybe splitter, so they obviously come to mind

then, there's also that Javtokas guy i almost forgot...

I think Camby makes the most sense.

CGD
06-23-2009, 04:52 PM
If I'm not mistaken Sheed is 34 this year... you want to sign him to a 4 year deal?

You're right. Ideally a deal would be less than 4 years. However, I was just suggesting that a player like Sheed at 34 (35 before the coming season) may be swayed by an offer of a longer deal obviously worth less $$ than what he is asking for currently. He'd be asking for at least 2 years anyway to be sure, so a 3rd, possibly fourth (team opt.?) could be a good negotiations ploy.

In fairness, it could be that I'm seeing this through Sheed-tinted glasses. I'll put it out there -- I'm high on the guy (techs and all). He's a good position D player that can spread the floor. High BBIQ and I think he would thrive in a role where he didn't have to be a go-to guy.

silk
06-23-2009, 04:55 PM
Ideally, there would be a sign and trade of mason/bonner/x for rasheed

And what about pryzbilla ?

Fabricio could also come back and make an adequate job with the fab four

Buddy Holly
06-23-2009, 05:00 PM
Trade Finley and Bonner for Camby. Sign McDyess for the MLE.

Parker/Hill
Mason/Manu
Jefferson/Bowen or someone else.
Tim/Ian/Gist
Camby/McDyess

MaNu4Tres
06-23-2009, 05:03 PM

Parker/Hill
Mason/Manu
Tim/Ian/Gist
Camby/McDyess

Trading Mason will be the only chance to land a legit big man next to Tim.IMO

silk
06-23-2009, 05:07 PM
I'd really like to see fabricio workin with the big four, alas, he must be plan F for the spurs right now

We could wait up to february trade deadline to see this big situation settled

Borosai
06-23-2009, 05:12 PM
Bigs.

rascal
06-23-2009, 05:16 PM
I hope so but I don't mind bring Fabrico back as 4th or 5th big

No, don't bring Oberto or even Thomas back. The spurs need to move forward and away from these washed up bigs.

rascal
06-23-2009, 05:18 PM

Parker/Hill
Mason/Manu
Tim/Ian/Gist
Camby/McDyess

Thats a great team.

Vic Petro
06-23-2009, 05:19 PM
Camby is the best fit from the Spurs perspective. Popovich would be salivating over a twin towers redux. Camby would be fantastic on this team and he's not on a long term deal. Perfect.

I don't think Ginobili and Jefferson both start. Jefferson starts and Ginobili still comes off the bench.

Big P
06-23-2009, 05:24 PM
From HoopsWorld.com ..PM edition

http://www.hoopsworld.com/

Spurs Still Need More
The San Antonio Spurs
did it again Tuesday, pulling off an incredibly great trade that gives them a formidable four that few teams in the league can match. This move once again makes the Spurs one of the favorites come 2009-2010, but they cannot take the next four months off by any means. While they're greatly improved, they're still a bit behind the Lakers and right on par with the Houston Rockets and Denver Nuggets – assuming all three teams come back with their core intact. As you'll see by looking at the Spurs current depth chart, there are still some holes that need to be filled:

PG: Tony Parker, George Hill
SG: Manu Ginobili, Roger Mason Jr.
SF: Richard Jefferson, Michael Finley
PF: Matt Bonner
C: Tim Duncan, Ian Mahinmi

The Jefferson trade gutted the Spurs for most of their tradable assets, excluding Ginobili, meaning that they'll really have to use the draft and the free agency period to address their roster issues. The first manner of business should be seeing what it takes to acquire a 1st round pick. Because this draft is not highly thought of the Spurs should have no problem purchasing their way into the 22-30 range with a combination of their three 2nd round picks and cash.

Throughout the draft process three potential 1st rounders have been linked in association with the Spurs possibly trading up for them: Omri Casspi, Eric Maynor, and Victor Claver. With the move they completed today though the Spurs draft needs change drastically as they desperately need to improve inside. Taj Gibson, Tyler Hansbrough, and DeMarre Carroll are three very attainable players who could contribute right away in the Lone Star State.

Hansbrough is attractive because of Coach Popovich's great respect for Roy Williams and the program he runs at North Carolina. It's a logical fit because Popovich would have no concerns about Hansbrough's ability to pick up his system and he wouldn't have to worry about him giving anything other than 110% every single day. There is a chance that he could go much earlier than expected though since he received and accepted an invite to the green room, which is why DeMarre Carroll and Taj Gibson are the most probable.

Gibson, if he doesn't go 20th overall to the Utah Jazz as rumored, would be well worth whatever it would take to get into the late 1st to select him. The high amount of changeover at the USC program over the past three years really held Gibson back from being able to showcase just how good he is, but after measuring in at a legitimate 6'10 with a wingspan over 7' he's steadily been on the rise. Alongside Duncan Gibson would thrive.

Carroll and his camp have done a good job of keeping any potential health issues from blowing up and killing his stock, unlike Darrell Arthur last year. Carroll would help the Spurs restore their tenacious championship caliber defense with his dedication to that side of the court. It was Carroll who anchored Missouri's very successful "40 minutes of hell" defense. Carroll will likely be available for the Spurs at 37.

After draft night the Spurs need to get begin preparing to make the strongest pitch possible to Rasheed Wallace, who they inquired about at the February trade deadline. Wallace is said to want $8 million a season, but the chances of him getting that kind of money are slim in this economy. The full mid-level exception along with the situation that San Antonio presents could be enough for Wallace to come off his asking price, giving the Spurs the veteran inside presence they need to get back to their championship ways. Chris Anderson, Antonio McDyess, and Chris Wilcox would all be solid, although not as significant, pickups for the Spurs.

While the Spurs may be done dealing with the Milwaukee Bucks, they need to keep a very close eye on what they plan on doing with the three veterans they sent over. The Bucks didn't trade for Bruce Bowen, Fabricio Oberto, and Kurt Thomas because they felt like they were pieces that could help them make the playoffs. They did it purely for financial reasons, which is why they could be free agents in just a matter of time. All three would likely sign on with San Antonio the second they become eligible to do so.

As far as their own free agents go, the Spurs could make a run at Drew Gooden. Gooden played fairly well during his limited time with the Spurs, but was beat up by the time he got to San Antonio. With an offseason to get healthy and a training camp to pick up the system Gooden could be a great consolation prize for the Spurs if they miss out on Rasheed. Ime Udoka is also an unrestricted free agent and should be brought back by the team.
There are few people in the NBA whose hard work goes more unnoticed than the assistant coaches. Only a select few are recognizable, although each and every one of the put in countless hours and hard work. P.J. Carlesimo is without a team right now after being fired last year by the Oklahoma City Thunder. Carlesimo was seen with the Spurs throughout the playoffs and is a team favorite. P.J. had a lot to do with the Spurs' past success and should he not find another head coaching job he should be welcomed back with open arms.

So, with that said here's another look at how the Spurs depth chart would look following those suggested moves:

PG: Tony Parker, George Hill
SG: Manu Ginobili, Roger Mason Jr.
SF: Richard Jefferson, Michael Finley, Ime Udoka
PF: Rasheed Wallace, Matt Bonner, DeMarre Carroll
C: Tim Duncan, Ian Mahinmi

It's the best-case scenario for the Spurs, but if they're able to put that team together it's time to really think about twice before giving the Lakers
the West again in 2010.

Mal
06-23-2009, 05:30 PM
^^ What a bullshit. Spurs don`t have 1st round pick, so what are they talking about ??

Mr. Body
06-23-2009, 05:30 PM
^^ What a bullshit. Spurs don`t have 1st round pick, so what are they talking about ??

Read the damn article.

Big P
06-23-2009, 05:35 PM
Read the damn article.

This

galvatron3000
06-23-2009, 05:37 PM

reading is FUNdamental, guess Spurs fans are the only ones familiar with that though...j/k:ihit

Buddy Holly
06-23-2009, 05:38 PM
I think the Spurs can get away with trading Finley and Bonner for Camby. The Clips are historically cheap and with the current economy they're probably desperate to get rid of their big contracts.

wut
06-23-2009, 05:44 PM
I haven't done the math on it, but I highly doubt they'd take a Finley/Mason & Bonner for Camby trade...you'd have to put Manu in that equation in order for the offer to be serious.

MaNu4Tres
06-23-2009, 05:45 PM
I think the Spurs can get away with trading Finley and Bonner for Camby. The Clips are historically cheap and with the current economy they're probably desperate to get rid of their big contracts.

They want a two guard in return that's worth starting and can spell minutes with Eric Gordon. Roger Mason would be the only realistic trading chip in order to pry away Camby from the Clippers. IMO Then again I could be wrong.

coyotes_geek
06-23-2009, 05:53 PM

They can do better than that for Camby. Toss in Hill and you might be getting warm.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-23-2009, 05:56 PM
I haven't done the math on it, but I highly doubt they'd take a Finley/Mason & Bonner for Camby trade...you'd have to put Manu in that equation in order for the offer to be serious.

Not really, it's the Clippers.

And with Camby's contract dropping for this season (it was frontloaded), a trade of Mason and Bonner would fit and save the Clips about 700K in the process.

Considering they were talking with Minny about Mike Miller for Camby, this would have to be a more attractive offer for them.

Pucho!!!
06-23-2009, 05:57 PM
PG: Tony Parker, George Hill, Marcus Williams, Vaughn
SG: Roger Mason Jr., Manu Ginobili, Michael Finley
SF: Richard Jefferson, , Bruce Bowen, Malik Hairston
PF: Tim Duncan, Ian Mahinmi, James Gist
C: Rasheed Wallace, Matt Bonner, Draft pick/FA

I like that team better with the starting lineup being the 1st names of each category

timvp
06-23-2009, 07:33 PM

Uh, Camby has an expiring contract. Trading two expiring contracts for one does do anything for them. You'd have to give up an asset for them to even think about it.

HarlemHeat37
06-23-2009, 08:31 PM
Unless Camby asks for a trade behind the scenes, but I haven't really heard about him being unhappy or anything..

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-23-2009, 08:36 PM
I'm thinking the spurs already have a big lined up. No way they would put themselfs in this cap situation without a plan to address the hole in the frontcourt.

That's what I reckon too. They have a hush-hush, wink-wink deal with someone who has said he'll come over, and we'll have to wait until July to find out who it is.

This FO is far too smart to leave themselves bereft of bigs.

HarlemHeat37
06-23-2009, 08:41 PM
That's what I reckon too. They have a hush-hush, wink-wink deal with someone who has said he'll come over, and we'll have to wait until July to find out who it is.

This FO is far too smart to leave themselves bereft of bigs.

100% agree..there's no way they didn't have a plan before this trade..either a trade involving Mason, Bonner, and/or Finley, or simply using the MLE and paying the tax..

MaNu4Tres
06-23-2009, 08:42 PM
Uh, Camby has an expiring contract. Trading two expiring contracts for one does do anything for them. You'd have to give up an asset for them to even think about it.

I think they'd consider Mason and Bonner. In my eyes they are targeting a shooting guard. Reports out where that Clippers were on the verge of trading Kaman for Mike Miller. And once the T'wolves were more than willing to get the deal done, the Clips offered Camby instead. This made the T'wolves turn away and look elsewhere (Wizards). And Mike Miller has an expiring contract. Mason would be a pretty good pick up at the 2 spot along side Eric Gordon for the Clips. IMO

coyotes_geek
06-23-2009, 08:45 PM
My prediction: Spurs use the MLE on some free agent big and then end up making one of those trade deadline deals like Finley+cash to some team under the cap for a protected 2nd round pick we'll never receive.

DPG21920
06-23-2009, 08:47 PM
How much of the MLE will they use do you think?

HarlemHeat37
06-23-2009, 08:49 PM
How much do you guys think Mike Finley's decision will impact the spending of the MLE?..

DPG21920
06-23-2009, 08:50 PM
Not much. The Spurs would not have made this move if the ability to complete the transition hinged on Finley's decision.

coyotes_geek
06-23-2009, 08:53 PM
How much of the MLE will they use do you think?

Whoever the guy they think they need is, be it Sheed, Gooden, Zaza, whoever, if it takes the full MLE to get that guy I think they'll do it. If they're not willing to do that, then what was the point of taking on RJ's huge salary? At least that's how I see it. JMO.........

coyotes_geek
06-23-2009, 08:55 PM
How much do you guys think Mike Finley's decision will impact the spending of the MLE?..

I don't think it factors in. I'd be willing to bet that they've already told Finley "it's your option, but if you exercise it we're going to trade you".

HarlemHeat37
06-23-2009, 08:57 PM
I agree with coyote on both counts..

there's really no chance IMO that the front office makes this trade without having some kind of plan to acquire a big man to play next to Timmy afterward..

there's no point in trading for RJ if the other 2 big men are going to be Matt Bonner and Ian Mahinmi, there just isn't a point..

coyotes_geek
06-23-2009, 09:00 PM
I'm sure the Spurs are doing due diligence and seeing what kind of a big they could get via a trade involving whatever we have left, but in all reality I think the free agent market is the best bet for landing the guy we need.

MaNu4Tres
06-23-2009, 09:01 PM
I agree with coyote on both counts..

there's really no chance IMO that the front office makes this trade without having some kind of plan to acquire a big man to play next to Timmy afterward..

there's no point in trading for RJ if the other 2 big men are going to be Matt Bonner and Ian Mahinmi, there just isn't a point..

Maybe they did it knowing Bucks are going to buy out Kurt Thomas and that Detroit will decline Oberto's option. And got there word before the trade went down. Or maybe they have a trade lined up after July 1st.

clubalien
06-23-2009, 09:01 PM
Shaq?

shaq doesn't want tim to have more rings them him and he did leave in SA.

shaq for the vet min sounds good to me

Blackjack
06-23-2009, 11:27 PM
I agree with those who believe the Spurs have something lined-up or in the works.

The Spurs are nothing if not thorough, and the taking on of a player with the salary of Jefferson indicates, at least to me, that they've already committed to a plan that makes this work both on and off the court.

IOW, Jefferson's arrival would never have happened if the ramifications weren't confronted and made doable by a plan/course of action that will shortly soon follow.

The other thing that popped into my head was, why now?

There were no draft picks involved in this trade and Bowen and Oberto's contracts didn't become guaranteed until the 1st, (IIRC) so why 2 days before the draft?

My guess is the Spurs are looking to actually do something in the draft this year; something that's groundwork has already been layed and more likely to be pulled off.

I'm not sure if it's to grab someone like Casspi who they've supposedly watched since he was 17 (maybe even stash him till next year) or if there's a big like Gibson they've got their eye on, but it sure seems like something is in the works...

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-23-2009, 11:29 PM
There were no draft picks involved in this trade and Bowen and Oberto's contracts didn't become guaranteed until the 1st, (IIRC) so why 2 days before the draft?

My guess is the Spurs are looking to actually do something in the draft this year; something that's groundwork has already been layed and more likely to be pulled off.

I'm not sure if it's to grab someone like Casspi who they've supposedly watched since he was 17 (maybe even stash him till next year) or if there's a big like Gibson they've got their eye on, but it sure seems like something is in the works...

The other thing could have been that Finley was thinking hard about coming back, so they basically said 'fuck you, come back and you're riding the end of the bench behind Manu and RJeff'.

Buddy Holly
06-23-2009, 11:34 PM
Could a trade with Minnesota for one of their late first round picks (18?) be in the works seeing as how Minny now has like 5 first round picks.

loveforthegame
06-23-2009, 11:34 PM
Taking on RJ's contract seems a little extreme just to send Finley a fuck you if he was leaning towards returning. A threat of we'll send you to the Kings or Grizzlies if you pick up your option would have worked better and be less costly too.

Besides if the writing was on the wall for Finley then it might be for Bowen as well. Especially since Pop went with Finley over Bowen this past season.

Buddy Holly
06-23-2009, 11:35 PM
The other thing could have been that Finley was thinking hard about coming back, so they basically said 'fuck you, come back and you're riding the end of the bench behind Manu and RJeff'.

Use his contract in a trade. Like I said before.

Finley, Bonner and maybe Udoka (s&t) to Clips for Camby.

Blackjack
06-23-2009, 11:54 PM
Could a trade with Minnesota for one of their late first round picks (18?) be in the works seeing as how Minny now has like 5 first round picks.

That was definitely something that crossed my mind. 18 or 28(IIRC) would seem to be for sale.

bigdog
06-23-2009, 11:59 PM
That was definitely something that crossed my mind. 18 or 28(IIRC) would seem to be for sale.

There's word that the Wolves might be trying to package some of their first-round picks to move up to #2 to get Rubio.

MaNu4Tres
06-24-2009, 12:02 AM
Use his contract in a trade. Like I said before.

Finley, Bonner and maybe Udoka (s&t) to Clips for Camby.

It would be Mason and Bonner not Finley and Bonner.

Blackjack
06-24-2009, 12:03 AM
There's word that the Wolves might be trying to package some of their first-round picks to move up to #2 to get Rubio.

I heard that prior to them acquiring the 5th pick but have since heard that they're looking at drafting Curry and Evans with the 5th and 6th, respectively.