PDA

View Full Version : Bowen blog: Home is where "MY" heart is......

lurker23
06-23-2009, 03:34 PM
http://voices.mysanantonio.com/brucebowen/

Home is where "MY" heart is......
By
Bruce Bowen
on Jun 23, 2009 2:53 PM

Let me start by saying, THANK YOU SAN ANTONIO! From my family to yours. Thank you for allowing a young man with many travel stops, to finally drop his bags off and say "I'M HOME"

I never thought that so many good things could happen after 30 years of age. Boy was I wrong! I've been able to be part of a great city and community. I've been able to take action in helping those less fortunate, partner up with many great companies, start programs aimed at helping our youth, and many other wonderful things. By me and my family being here, all these wonderful things have taken place in our lives, and we truly appreciate it San Antonio.

So many times someone has walked up in our local H.E.B. and said what an impact something I said or did had on someone they loved. With so many greetings like that, you all have giving me a BIG HEAD, (which I didn't necessarily need, but it feels cool anyway). This is where my family and I reside, there are more pressing things taken place in our world, so please just smile and remember that each and everyone of you played a vital role in the family man that I've become.

God bless each and everyone of you, thanks for allowing me to set up shop in such a welcoming place.

coyotes_geek
06-23-2009, 03:35 PM
He'll be back.

timvp
06-23-2009, 03:36 PM
If Bowen is not coming back ...

... man I can't even think about that :td

He'll be back. Makes too much sense.

BlackSwordsMan
H.E.B. curse
no more barry, no more bowen

z0sa
Bruce will be where he belongs if he has any ability. I know it.

We need you til your 45, Bruce. Come on back home.

lurker23
He'll be back.

I agree. I think he's just covering his bases in case things don't work out like we all think they will.

Or, if you think on a CIA level: things like this help prove against any impropriety that bringing Bruce back was predetermined and preplanned.

Kori Ellis
06-23-2009, 03:37 PM
Well, I think the Bucks are releasing Bowen/Oberto for sure. So, we'll see what happens next. If I was going to bet, I'd bet Bowen would be back and Oberto wouldn't.

katyon6th
06-23-2009, 03:39 PM
Bowen just left my office building. I didn't even get a chance to say goodbye. :(

SenorSpur
06-23-2009, 03:39 PM
He'll be back - much to the dismay of Ray Allen and Vince Carter.

bresilhac
06-23-2009, 03:42 PM
I agree. I think he's just covering his bases in case things don't work out like we all think they will.

Or, if you think on a CIA level: things like this help prove against any impropriety that bringing Bruce back was predetermined and preplanned.

Good point. I believe the SAS will bring Bruce back anyway though. He is still a very effective defender.

Ariel
06-23-2009, 03:42 PM
:depressed

urunobili
06-23-2009, 03:43 PM

SenorSpur
06-23-2009, 03:45 PM
Class act, terrific defender, and a funny, funny dude.

Lifelong Spur. Whether he comes back or not, jersey #12 will be in the rafters one day.

meestahmeestah
06-23-2009, 03:47 PM

me too.

CosmicCowboy
06-23-2009, 03:47 PM
HEB is gonna have to shoot a whole new set of commercials if he doesn't...

rayray2k8
06-23-2009, 03:49 PM
1 month later: "I'm Back" :lol
Milwaukee sucked, good to be back. :lmao

Kermit
06-23-2009, 03:50 PM
Is there a possibility where some team offers him more than the minimum to play for them in an effort to keep him off the Spurs? And does Bruce accept?

samikeyp
06-23-2009, 03:51 PM
He'll be back - much to the dismay of Ray Allen and Vince Carter.

Actually they want him to come back to the Spurs...where they only have to face him twice a year. :)

SpursWench21
06-23-2009, 03:56 PM

Lifelong Spur. Whether he comes back or not, jersey #12 will be in the rafters one day.

+100 Bowen = Defense = Spurs I hope his jersey really does get retired here, imo he more than deserves it. Thanks Bruce!!!:toast and I hope this isnt the last that weve seen from you.

ah, a great day to be a Spurs fan...

SteelerNation
06-23-2009, 03:57 PM
It would not shock me in the least if Bowen ends up in Boston. He played there early in his career and the Celtics are more than willing to take on aging players at the tail end of their career. That would be my choice where he ends up when all is said and done. Boston needs another James Posey type for their run next year and Bruce would be perfect for them.

SenorSpur
06-23-2009, 03:58 PM
+100 Bowen = Defense = Spurs I hope his jersey really does get retired here, imo he more than deserves it. Thanks Bruce!!!:toast and I hope this isnt the last that weve seen from you.

ah, a great day to be a Spurs fan...

Oh, it will. Don't worry about that.

mardigan
06-23-2009, 03:58 PM
I've never enjoyed watching someone play defense more. Here's hoping he comes back.

Bruno
06-23-2009, 04:00 PM
I would be damn surprised, sad and disappointed if Bruce isn't back next year with Spurs.

SonOfAGun
06-23-2009, 04:01 PM
Bruce has been one of the Spurs greatest spokesmen even though the media portrays him as a "Bad Guy".

I know he's coming back so I'm not sad, but I cannot wait until the jersey retirement ceremony.

Streakyshooter08
06-23-2009, 04:01 PM
Come back Bruce. Get No. 4...

anjlbitz
06-23-2009, 04:06 PM
smokescreen blog

mytespurs
06-23-2009, 04:06 PM
If Bowen, Oberto and Thomas are released or bought out, would other teams be in the running for their services other than the Spurs?

Just for fun, which team(s) could these 3 end up with, other than the Spurs?

mytespurs
06-23-2009, 04:08 PM
Is there a possibility where some team offers him more than the minimum to play for them in an effort to keep him off the Spurs? And does Bruce accept?

I just posted a similar question....I should've read through the thread before asking the same question...DUH ME! :lol

Spurs_9_20_21
I am going to miss that bald head of his! :lol On second thought....we got another one. But I do hope that Bowen comes back! He BETTER come back! :lol

elbamba
He will always be one of my favorite players and he left with so much class. Especially because he was a big part of 03, 05 and 07. I think he is done. He might come back but I really think that he has more to offer as a coach to the young defenders than he does to actually contributing to the team. He cannot defend the Kobes, Durants and Roys anymore. But Jefferson could certainly take some notes from Bowen on defense.

SteelerNation
06-23-2009, 04:14 PM
If Bowen, Oberto and Thomas are released or bought out, would other teams be in the running for their services other than the Spurs?

Just for fun, which team(s) could these 3 end up with, other than the Spurs?

Boston would go for Bowen.

Knicks would go for Oberto. They have been wanting a center badly and were going to throw their MLE at Gortat, so I can see them making a play at Oberto.

Dont know about Thomas...maybe back to Phoenix if they trade Shaq?

velik_m
06-23-2009, 04:14 PM
If Bowen is not back i'm changing my team in the profile.

He's one of my favourite players.

Him and Ray Allen - yeah i know, it's wierd... :oops

Kermit
06-23-2009, 04:18 PM
According to the Blazer's Edge Twitter page:

Blazers Asst. Coach Monty Williams: Spurs more likely to re-acquire Oberto than Bowen. Monty was Spurs asst. Also thinks Ime will move on

Buddy Holly
06-23-2009, 04:19 PM
He was probably told in advance, you don't need to pack.

MoSpur
06-23-2009, 04:20 PM
That dude better come back!!!

DPG21920
06-23-2009, 04:20 PM
It seems logical to us, but with how Pop coached him, I would not be surprised to see Bowen gone. I would also not be surprised to see him back given the circumstances.

manufan10
06-23-2009, 04:28 PM
smokescreen blog

Agree.

tp2021
06-23-2009, 04:31 PM
If you think Pop keeps Fin because of his work ethic, no way in hell does Bruce not come back. If they decided to retire Avery's jersey, they will surely bring Bruce back.

I hope...

td4mvp21
Bowen better come back. I can't even think about him leaving right now.

George Gervin's Afro
I'll wear your jersey with pride man...:chestbump

ivanfromwestwood
06-23-2009, 04:32 PM
i could never understand why we always were said to have a big 3. take bowen out of the line up and maybe we only have one championship (99). to me it has always been the big 4. bowen defended everyone from bigs like Dirk to AI. i hope he comes back for his 5th

Buddy Holly
06-23-2009, 04:34 PM
Do any of you think he'll retire and become an ast. coach? I know he says he wants to continue playing but he's 38 and has two local businesses to maintain. Maybe taking on a ast coach role with the Spurs will be something he decides.

silk
06-23-2009, 04:37 PM
I'm not sure pop wants him back, or it'd be at the bottom of his off-season priorities

loveforthegame
06-23-2009, 04:39 PM
The blog sounds sincere and not entirely a smokescreen. It's quite possible he wants to retire. It might be why the Spurs traded him knowing that he would hang them up.

gospursgojas
06-23-2009, 04:42 PM
i could never understand why we always were said to have a big 3. take bowen out of the line up and maybe we only have one championship (99). to me it has always been the big 4. bowen defended everyone from bigs like Dirk to AI. i hope he comes back for his 5th

Theres no maybe...spurs won in 99 without anyone on the current roster except for Tim. And he would be coming back for his 4th not his 5th 'ship.

ffadicted
06-23-2009, 04:45 PM
Bruce coming back would be the only way I approve of this trade.

mytespurs
06-23-2009, 04:46 PM
Bruce is not only extremely talented but he appears to be a great person as well....he has such a warm and friendly personality.

I've never seen him play live but I have the Spurs championship vidoes. One of my favorite moments is the 2005 series in the locker room before the game, he's having fun, relaxing, then he goes up to TD who pushes him away.
He's like Okay, okay.....:lol

Then @ the 2007 championship rally at their arena, he was great as the MC....no, it's Brrrruuuuuceee, not booooooo! :lol

BlackBellamy
If he doesn't get picked back up, expect a blitz on Bowen merch. I'm investing right now. Starting with my collectible Taco Cabana cups. Do I hear $200?
Seriously, he has become a huge part of the collective character of this team over the years, hopefully he comes back this year but if not he can always come back and have his Jersey retired. :toast to Bowen

Obstructed_View

I had two reactions when I found out about the trade:

First reaction: "We traded for Al Jefferson? Holy Shit!" - fail
Second reaction: "Bowen got traded away?" - lump in my throat.

bus driver
06-23-2009, 04:47 PM

+1 :toast

if he doesnt come back, well thanks for the memories and see you when your jersey is retired.

heres to #12 :toast

Budkin
06-23-2009, 04:58 PM
The Spurs are not the Spurs without Bruce... come on home!

ShoogarBear
06-23-2009, 04:59 PM
Think about everything he's done on the court.

Now think about everything he's done for the community.

Now, get really selfish, and think about the two HUGE things he's done for the Spurs' front office:

. . . took less money so the Spurs could sign Manu and Tony.

. . . the key cog in getting Richard Jefferson.

If Bruce doesn't come back, #12 will still always be in the AT&T. If not on his back, then up there next to 50.

bdictjames
06-23-2009, 05:05 PM
The post above is win.

mytespurs
06-23-2009, 05:07 PM
According to the Blazer's Edge Twitter page:

Blazers Asst. Coach Monty Williams: Spurs more likely to re-acquire Oberto than Bowen. Monty was Spurs asst. Also thinks Ime will move on

They would take Oberto back because he's a big? I wasn't impressed with him last season; I know he has or had the problem w/his heart but I didn't think he played that well. I don't know........

Personally I'd take Bowen back before Oberto but again, what do I know??:downspin:

Obstructed_View
06-23-2009, 05:15 PM
Personally I'd take Bowen back before Oberto but again, what do I know??:downspin:
Certainly taking Bowen back before Udoka would be sensible.

ploto
06-23-2009, 05:16 PM
...there are more pressing things taken place in our world, so please just smile and remember that each and everyone of you played a vital role in the family man that I've become.

Sounds to me like Bruce knows something. He would not post that unless he really thought he was gone. And how do we know he would even want to return to the team. It might not have sat so well with him last season going from all-team defender to garbage time player over the course of one summer.

Obstructed_View
06-23-2009, 05:19 PM
Sounds to me like Bruce knows something. He would not post that unless he really thought he was gone. And how do we know he would even want to return to the team. It might not have sat so well with him last season going from all-team defender to garbage time player over the course of one summer.

Of course if he said "don't shed a tear, I'll be back" he could get the Spurs in trouble. He's the last person to say something stupid.

z0sa
06-23-2009, 05:20 PM
If Bowen does not get resigned as soon as he is available by our Spurs, consider me one pissed spursfan trade or no trade. This isn't all about his past accomplishments, either. Bruce Bowen, 38 years old, was the best defender on this team. Now who is it? Manu who won't stay healthy with big minutes on both ends? Inexperienced George Hill? Perhaps RJ now? Mason? A project off the bench?

I know Bowen only played 20mpg last season. I know it looked, at times, like he had lost a step, maybe even at times mentally. And he's one year older now. 38 in in the NBA is cretaceous period, but for some reason, Bowen just doesn't seem like he's in the same mold. Bring him back and let him play his 20mpg, Pop. Let him keep on blessing spurfan for a little while longer, and he could really help.

Besides, he IS the best defender on the team still. Not by the longshot it was in 2005 or even 2007, but seriously.

ploto
06-23-2009, 05:23 PM
Of course if he said "don't shed a tear, I'll be back" he could get the Spurs in trouble. He's the last person to say something stupid.

Yeah, but he didn't have to write anything. Why waste the emotion if you don't think you are leaving?

Obstructed_View
06-23-2009, 05:29 PM
Yeah, but he didn't have to write anything. Why waste the emotion if you don't think you are leaving?

To avoid the appearance of impropriety? You certainly seem to have bought it.

DPG21920
06-23-2009, 05:41 PM
To avoid the appearance of impropriety? You certainly seem to have bought it.

Look at reality. Pop clearly went away from Bruce the entire season. Him playing Bruce in the PO's was out of desperation in his mind. Bruce could very well be done as a Spur.

stxspurs
06-23-2009, 05:45 PM
its the curse of the HEB commercials.....Barry, now bowen.....uh oh Manu!!!!

manufan10
06-23-2009, 05:46 PM
Maybe Bruce didn't want to do a boneheaded thing like Jerry Stackhouse and get the trade all screwed up. :toast

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-23-2009, 05:48 PM

So the team doesn't get nailed for any impropriety like other teams doing similar deals have in the past.

What do you care, Richard Jefferson's skin tone is lighter than Bowen's...

Spurtacus
06-23-2009, 05:51 PM
I'll cry if he doesn't come back as a player. Seriously. He's in shape and still has a couple of good years left in him.

crc21209
06-23-2009, 07:36 PM
He's coming back no worries. :tu The Bucks have no use for him, they have to continue developing/playing that young talent they got.

Spurs Brazil
06-23-2009, 07:42 PM
Bruce Bowen Waves a Classy Goodbye

June 23, 2009 5:04 PM

There has been some speculation that longtime Spur Bruce Bowen might be waived by Milwaukee and return to San Antonio, but there are two mild indications that won't happen:

For one thing, Bowen is close to Blazer assistant Monty Williams, who just told Blazers Edge that he does not think Bowen will return to the Spurs.
For another, Bowen just posted a very classy goodbye and thank you to his San Antonio fans on the San Antonio Express-News website

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-41-130/Bruce-Bowen-Waves-a-Classy-Goodbye.html

Brazil
06-23-2009, 07:50 PM
Think about everything he's done on the court.

Now think about everything he's done for the community.

Now, get really selfish, and think about the two HUGE things he's done for the Spurs' front office:

. . . took less money so the Spurs could sign Manu and Tony.

. . . the key cog in getting Richard Jefferson.

If Bruce doesn't come back, #12 will still always be in the AT&T. If not on his back, then up there next to 50.

:toast

smrattler
06-23-2009, 07:59 PM
That doesn't sound like a guy stepping out for a few minutes.

That sounded a lot like good-bye.

Russ
06-23-2009, 08:02 PM
Bowen will be back. His line of benevolent BS is far from over (and I mean that as a compliment).:toast

Russ
06-23-2009, 08:03 PM
That doesn't sound like a guy stepping out for a few minutes.

That sounded a lot like good-bye.

All the better to set up the dramatic return. :)

whottt
06-23-2009, 08:10 PM
Hurry back Bruce :tu

And if not, let the jersey retirement countdown commence.

NRHector
06-23-2009, 08:13 PM
IMO Bruce deserves to have his # retire more than Avery and it better be done, he earned it with hard work and loyalty to the Spurs:toast

Supergirl
06-23-2009, 08:28 PM
Well, I think the Bucks are releasing Bowen/Oberto for sure. So, we'll see what happens next. If I was going to bet, I'd bet Bowen would be back and Oberto wouldn't.

Is that covered in another thread? How do we know Bowen and Oberto will be released?

I'd love it if Bowen got released and signed for the vet min with SA...

All the same, giving up up, Oberto and Thomas for Richard Jefferson is a NO BRAINER.

GSH
06-23-2009, 09:21 PM
Bruce Bowen defined defense, on the team that defined defense, for most of a decade. And during that decade, the Spurs rode their defense to the best record of any team in any professional sport. We all know that the Spurs' success has rested on the shoulders of Tim Duncan. But when you think about the best seasons of Duncan's career, the picture that comes to mind is of a team that had the ability to shut down their opponents almost at will. A team that was sometimes known as "boring", because a good defensive stop is valued just about as much as a good layup shot in golf, or a good punt in football.

Tim Duncan would have made any team he played for successful. And it was probably Duncan's huge talent that allowed the Spurs to indulge in a player whose full-time job was perimeter defense. But Bowen's huge talent at perimeter defense may well have allowed Duncan to indulge in being the "Big Fundamental", rather than being forced to score 30 a night.

I don't think that Bowen's contribution has been fully appreciated by fans outside of San Antonio. But San Antonio is a town that continues to appreciate their Spurs even after they retire from the game. I think we all hope that Bruce's last game is in a silver and black jersey. But even if it isn't, he has done more than enough to be a Spur forever. And hopefully anyplace he goes will just be a visit. He belongs here.

milkyway21
06-23-2009, 09:27 PM

He'll be back. Makes too much sense.

he won't? :depressed

Yes or No, nice knowing you Bruce! You're a classy act. :toast

ploto
06-23-2009, 09:35 PM
For one thing, Bowen is close to Blazer assistant Monty Williams, who just told Blazers Edge that he does not think Bowen will return to the Spurs.
If true, it means either the Spurs don't want him back or he does not want to come back.

timvp
06-23-2009, 09:36 PM
If true, it means either the Spurs don't want him back or he does not want to come back.

Breathtaking analysis :lol

Someone page Captain Obvious, we have a new sheriff in town.

ploto
06-23-2009, 09:41 PM
People keep assuming he wants to come back and I am simply trying to remind them that maybe BRUCE does not want to be a Spur. Just like Gooden in other threads- you really think he is gung ho to sit on the bench and watch Bonner play all play-offs again?

The Truth #6
06-23-2009, 10:23 PM
I don't think we need both Finley and Bowen back. I'd MUCH prefer to have Bowen instead of Finley, but considering the contract situation I can easily see Finley return.

If that's the case, I have to admit, I would prefer the Spurs develop a young wing instead of hold on to Bowen. Again, I hope Finley retires and Bowen returns, but to have both is a step backwards in my opinion. With RJ as a legit veteran, we need to develop a young player. It has to happen. It's tough enough already with Finley eating up minutes that he doesn't deserve, at least in my opinion.

Obstructed_View
06-23-2009, 10:25 PM

Wow, what a scintillating observation! My dog is lying down at my feet with his eyes closed. It means either he's asleep or he's dead. :lmao

You lack the mental capacity to be an effective troll; instead you just come across as bitter.

:lol at the idea that Monty Williams has some inside track on anything the Spurs are doing, particularly given the relationship between the Blazers and the Spurs over the past few years. If Bowen spoke to him, there's no fucking way he'd say he intended to come back or the Blazers would blow the whistle on that trade in a microsecond.

barbacoataco
06-24-2009, 12:18 AM
Whenever I have really good seats up front it is Bowen I watched the most, even over Ginobili. I hope he is back, but I could see him going somewhere else. He might go for it if someone promises more playing time, after last year and all the time he spent on the bench.

Buddy Holly
06-24-2009, 12:24 AM
you really think he is gung ho to sit on the bench and watch Bonner play all play-offs again?

If that happens (again) then the Spurs didn't do their fucking job in the off season. I doubt that happens.

Buddy Holly
06-24-2009, 12:25 AM
Bottomline, I think that's his pre-retirement speech. I think he hangs it up.

SA210
06-24-2009, 01:44 AM
Bruce coming back would be the only way I approve of this trade.