PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Spurs'...

Spurs_9_20_21
06-23-2009, 04:34 PM
should get Sam Young now? Now that we have Richard Jefferson do you think we should still get Sam Young, that is if we can get a first-round pick. I think so because if Bowen doesn't come back, who's going to be the Spurs' back-up? Now I know a lot of people think that Bowen is coming back, but let's just say if he didn't....So what do you think?

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-23-2009, 04:37 PM
I say this trade shifted the priorities to finding bigs now, by draft or otherwise.

HarlemHeat37
06-23-2009, 04:37 PM
I wouldn't, and I don't think they will..we are going to need all of our possible assets to get a big, so this would be a waste IMO..just get Bowen back, and stick in either Gist, Hairston or Williams to play the 3rd string SF..

Spurtacus
06-23-2009, 06:02 PM
I still would. Seems like he'd be a good fit with us.

coyotes_geek
06-23-2009, 06:06 PM
You must be at least 6' 9" to ride this ride...................

Timmy!
06-23-2009, 06:09 PM
Getting RJ and trading away Oberto & Thomas can only mean one thing. SMALL BALL BABY!

VivaPopovich
06-23-2009, 06:10 PM
Bruce is coming back.

coyotes_geek
06-23-2009, 06:10 PM
Getting RJ and trading away Oberto & Thomas can only mean one thing. SMALL BALL BABY!

The Spurs still need a big, but RJ does make a great small ball 4.

VivaPopovich
06-23-2009, 06:14 PM
i know pop has been experimenting with small ball for the past few seasons, but in general its not spurs basketball to play a 3 at the 4 spot and get outrebounded in the post

rebounds wins championships, everybody repeat that

coyotes_geek
06-23-2009, 06:17 PM
The Spurs have been forced into having to play small ball lately, and I'm all for finding that big man who can restore the balance. Still, thoughts of having Parker-Mason-Manu-RJ-Duncan on the court at the same time in certain situations makes me smile.

VivaPopovich
06-23-2009, 06:22 PM
^ better than Tony/Manu/Jefferson/Gooden/Duncan with George Hill coming off the bench?

VivaPopovich
06-23-2009, 06:23 PM
small ball is so... phoenix suns. and that's not a good thing.

i'd rather take my chances on ian mahinimi or james gist if gooden aint coming back or duncan really refuses to play center

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-23-2009, 06:27 PM
Think people. In years where the Spurs have not won the title, Pop has traditionally 'adjusted' in the off-season with personnel moves. So look at the Lakers, and figure out what we need to be stronger than them.

We're set at the perimeter. The rest of this off-season will be about upgrading the 4 and 5 spots. Young is a SF in the NBA.

SenorSpur
06-23-2009, 06:31 PM
should get Sam Young now? Now that we have Richard Jefferson do you think we should still get Sam Young, that is if we can get a first-round pick. I think so because if Bowen doesn't come back, who's going to be the Spurs' back-up? Now I know a lot of people think that Bowen is coming back, but let's just say if he didn't....So what do you think?

The Jefferson trade is an outstanding one and gives them a solid, athletic, SF for the first time in a long time. However, it doesn't totally solve the issues with depth at the position. The roster has been so talent-thin, at that position, that they could stand to fortify it with another young, athletic player to play behind RJ. Since I personally am not in favor of either Finley, Udoka or Bowen returning, I see no reason to change their drafting strategy. Therefore, I say absolutely YES they should go after Young. If he proves to be the player we expect, then by the time, RJ's contract expires, he should be ready to step in and start.

As far as the shortage on the frontline is concerned, the Spurs will not be able to adequately address that during the draft. Unless they have another trade in the works (that involves either current players or draft picks), they will likely address their need for a big via the free agent route.

ffadicted
06-23-2009, 06:32 PM
Small Ball = :fishing

timvp
06-23-2009, 07:40 PM
This draft doesn't have any immediate answers for the Spurs. And a swingman could very well be the lowest priority right now. Any rookie who steps in on the wing is going to be anywhere from the 4th to 6th wing.

Spurs_9_20_21
06-24-2009, 09:22 AM
The Jefferson trade is an outstanding one and gives them a solid, athletic, SF for the first time in a long time. However, it doesn't totally solve the issues with depth at the position. The roster has been so talent-thin, at that position, that they could stand to fortify it with another young, athletic player to play behind RJ. Since I personally am not in favor of either Finley, Udoka or Bowen returning, I see no reason to change their drafting strategy. Therefore, I say absolutely YES they should go after Young. If he proves to be the player we expect, then by the time, RJ's contract expires, he should be ready to step in and start.

As far as the shortage on the frontline is concerned, the Spurs will not be able to adequately address that during the draft. Unless they have another trade in the works (that involves either current players or draft picks), they will likely address their need for a big via the free agent route.
+1:tu