PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Wings

pad300
06-23-2009, 06:24 PM
The Jefferson trade has made big changes in the Spurs wing rotation. There are 4 wings under contract currently, Manu, Jefferson, Finley, and Mason. It is currently a popular assumption that Bowen will return at the vet min after being bought out. Adding 1 younger player (Hairston, Williams, Draft pick?) pretty much fills out the rotation. I expect the regular season rotation to give Manu 25-30 minutes and Jefferson 30-35 minutes. That consumes roughly 60 minutes of 96, leaving 36 minutes spread over the remaining four although some veterans will be eating very short minutes.

This proposal, however, ignores the weakness that the Jefferson trade has left us - limited big men. I would suggest that both Mason and Finley are potentially trade assets (of which we have few remaining) to be moved for a decent big. In combination with Bonner, this would give us approximately $9 Million in salary that could be moved...

Given the assumption that Bowen returns, he could easily support 20 mpg at the wings. With only 16 minutes remaining, it suggests that a going young and cheap for the remaining wing spots would be a viable strategy. Especially if Pop continues to experiment with Hill getting some spot minutes at the 2.

This leads to a wing rotation that looks like
Manu, Jefferson, Bowen, young player(1), young player (2), young player (3).

It is exceedingly likely that some of those young players would include Hairston, Williams, and a draft pick or vet min FA.

Do you think such a wing rotation is adequate? Who do you think should be the young players in that rotation?

Alternatively, do you think this a inappropriate strategy and why?

VivaPopovich
06-23-2009, 06:27 PM
assuming bowen comes back, i dont think we should keep both finley AND mason at this point, especially having jefferson now with george hill getting more PT. dont even get me started on matt bonner.

whats going to happen to drew gooden? i'd like to see him get more PT. plus there's still james gist and ian mahinmi. having too many kickout players on the roster doesnt make sense. remember the 03 squad? we had the twin towers in duncan/robinson then malik and kevin willis coming off the bench

i dont EVER want to see a player like matt bonner start PF for the spurs and watch us get handled/outrebounded in the post, ever again. thats not spurs basketball.

SenorSpur
06-23-2009, 06:55 PM
The Jefferson trade has made big changes in the Spurs wing rotation. There are 4 wings under contract currently, Manu, Jefferson, Finley, and Mason. It is currently a popular assumption that Bowen will return at the vet min after being bought out. Adding 1 younger player (Hairston, Williams, Draft pick?) pretty much fills out the rotation. I expect the regular season rotation to give Manu 25-30 minutes and Jefferson 30-35 minutes. That consumes roughly 60 minutes of 96, leaving 36 minutes spread over the remaining four although some veterans will be eating very short minutes.

This proposal, however, ignores the weakness that the Jefferson trade has left us - limited big men. I would suggest that both Mason and Finley are potentially trade assets (of which we have few remaining) to be moved for a decent big. In combination with Bonner, this would give us approximately $9 Million in salary that could be moved...

Given the assumption that Bowen returns, he could easily support 20 mpg at the wings. With only 16 minutes remaining, it suggests that a going young and cheap for the remaining wing spots would be a viable strategy. Especially if Pop continues to experiment with Hill getting some spot minutes at the 2.

This leads to a wing rotation that looks like
Manu, Jefferson, Bowen, young player(1), young player (2), young player (3).

It is exceedingly likely that some of those young players would include Hairston, Williams, and a draft pick or vet min FA.

Do you think such a wing rotation is adequate? Who do you think should be the young players in that rotation?

Alternatively, do you think this a inappropriate strategy and why?

First off, because of the enormous salary that RJ commands, the Spurs will be forced to fill out the remainder of their roster with younger, cheaper, players around the Big Four (I like how that sounds). In addressing the shortage on the frontline, they have the MLE to use for that.

As to your general question, I believe the wing rotation you've outline should work. Assuming Hairston and Williams earn spots, those two should be able to divvy up the remaining minutes. The last wing spot should be occupied by a rookie SF coming from this Thursday's draft. Either Young or Casspi. That player would likely start his NBA career in Austin. However in taking the developmental route that Hairston and Williams have done, the new rookie should be ready to go late in the season or next year.

As much as I love Bowen, I'd rather the Spurs continue to act boldly. I'm on record as one who believes the Spurs should stick to their drafting strategy and move up into the late 1st round and draft a SF.

All that said, something tells me that Bowen will return and he will eat up those remaining minutes.

timvp
06-23-2009, 07:44 PM
Do you think such a wing rotation is adequate?It's adequate now. If a trade is made to get a big, then we'll have to reevaluate.

Who do you think should be the young players in that rotation? On the wing right now you only need one young one. I'm fine with either Hairston, Williams, Sanikidze or a draft pick. The talent level would all be around the same.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-23-2009, 07:55 PM
Manu shouldn't play 25-30 minutes with Jefferson here. He should play a short stretch in the first half, and then a big chunk of the second half - basically, he should be used to spark 3rd quarters and close the game. And hopefully he'll sit out the odd b-2-b. I'd bet that's how Pop will use him, because keeping him fresh for the playoffs is what matters.

We're pretty much set at the small positions, now the only question is who will join Tim, Ian and Matt in the frontcourt? Yes, Bonner will be here, like it or not. He is our shooting 4 it seems.

HarlemHeat37
06-23-2009, 08:22 PM
Parker/Hill
Manu/???
Jefferson/Bowen/Hairston and/or Williams

that's my prediction..

I would be surprised if Mason isn't dealt for a big man, since a trade seems like it's going to be our best option for the frontcourt..

Hairston and/or Williams seem like our best options at the wing..they have experience in the system, and Hairston has shown flashes of becoming a good role player..I'm assuming they'll have Williams play a little PG too at some point..

Maybe even bring in Gist to play a little 3..

Regardless, our perimeter is the best in the NBA, so that won't be a problem..

Danny.Zhu
06-23-2009, 11:01 PM
Agreed, except that we may only need 2 young players. A 5 man rotation (Jefferson, Manu, Bowen, Gist and a draft pick) should be adequate. Remember we have already had Jefferson and Manu, anyone could come off the bench.

As for the big man, yes, we should trade Mason, Bonner and Finley for a decent C. After that if we could use MLE on Sheed or Dyess, that would be perfect. Then we will have (Duncan, Sheed, Unknown C, Ian and a draft pick.)

ducks
06-23-2009, 11:04 PM
Manu shouldn't play 25-30 minutes with Jefferson here. He should play a short stretch in the first half, and then a big chunk of the second half - basically, he should be used to spark 3rd quarters and close the game. And hopefully he'll sit out the odd b-2-b. I'd bet that's how Pop will use him, because keeping him fresh for the playoffs is what matters.

We're pretty much set at the small positions, now the only question is who will join Tim, Ian and Matt in the frontcourt? Yes, Bonner will be here, like it or not. He is our shooting 4 it seems.

I agree now spurs can pay manu to sit on the bench for 1/2 of the season and be healthy in the playoffs

MaNu4Tres
06-23-2009, 11:55 PM
I would be surprised if Mason isn't dealt for a big man, since a trade seems like it's going to be our best option for the frontcourt..

Me and you think a like Harlem.:toast