PDA

View Full Version : Oberto to Pistons

pad300
06-23-2009, 06:52 PM
Oberto gets further flipped:
http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/60013/20090623/detroit_trades_amir_johnson_to_bucks/

Amir Johnson for Oberto...

SCdac
06-23-2009, 06:56 PM
would have been nice to get johnson ourselves. oh well. good luck to you oberto.

ffadicted
06-23-2009, 06:56 PM
"Oberto was acquired by Milwaukee from San Antonio earlier on Wednesday."

lol wednesday.
Also, if this is legit, it makes it more likely they will cut Bowen to save money, great news indeed. Glad to see Oberto go to a decent team as well.

Maybe even better, Detroit will buy out Oberto, and both him and Bowen can sign with us again.

:toast

benefactor
06-23-2009, 06:59 PM
Hell, if Detroit wanted to get rid of Amir that bad we would have done that a long time ago.

edgar
Ha Oberto to Pistons! :lmao

poop
i was one of those that was pushing offloading oberto, but i gotta say i kinda feel bad seeing him get shipped around like this. he had some really good moments for us playing with Manu. at least hes going to a solid, respectable organization like the pistons, hopefully he can be healthy and do well there.

Spurtacus
Dang. I would have given up Finley for Johnson.

SenorSpur
06-23-2009, 07:01 PM
i was one of those that was pushing offloading oberto, but i gotta say i kinda feel bad seeing him get shipped around like this. he had some really good moments for us playing with Manu. at least hes going to a solid, respectable organization like the pistons, hopefully he can be healthy and do well there.

It's all business - never personal.

ploto
06-23-2009, 07:15 PM
I am sure whoever ends up with Oberto will buy out his partially guaranteed contract. That is the value of him as a trade asset. I was close. I thought Bowen was the one to be traded again- not Fabs. He still could be.

Scola
06-23-2009, 07:15 PM
Isn't there a rule that you have to wait 6 months to trade a player received via a trade. Or is that only during the regular season? Good Luck to Oberto.

completely deck
06-23-2009, 07:17 PM
I am sure whoever ends up with Oberto will buy out his partially guaranteed contract. That is the value of him as a trade asset. I was close. I thought Bowen was the one to be traded again- not Fabs. He still could be.

Yahoo! Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=At2fMfDCbjNAKbvUG31iwGq8vLYF?slug=aw-pistonsbucks062309&prov=yhoo&type=lgns):
"The Pistons plan to buy out Oberto’s deal and make him a free agent. The San Antonio Spurs sent Oberto to the Bucks as part of a four-player trade for Richard Jefferson earlier on Tuesday."

ploto
06-23-2009, 07:17 PM
Isn't there a rule that you have to wait 6 months to trade a player received via a trade. Or is that only during the regular season? Good Luck to Oberto.

You can flip him if you trade him alone.

montgod
06-23-2009, 07:18 PM

I believe it's okay to trade a player if it's within 1 or 2 days of the initial trade.

Oberto will definitely be cut or bought out before July 1st. That is the reason why he was obtained. To save money on the cap for Detroit.

Knoxxx
06-23-2009, 07:19 PM
Yahoo! Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=At2fMfDCbjNAKbvUG31iwGq8vLYF?slug=aw-pistonsbucks062309&prov=yhoo&type=lgns):
"The Pistons plan to buy out Oberto’s deal and make him a free agent. The San Antonio Spurs sent Oberto to the Bucks as part of a four-player trade for Richard Jefferson earlier on Tuesday."

Thank goodness, I was afraid Oberto would hang 20 and 10 on us every time we played the Pistons next year. Let's hope we get Bowen back, would hate to see him nail half a dozen threes and shut down BOTH Manu and RJ next time we play the Bucks. :lol

baseline bum
06-23-2009, 07:22 PM
Detroit made this move strictly to create a little more than $1.9 million more capspace. This is great news for us, as it gives them even more wiggle room to drive Odom's and Ariza's prices up and perhaps steal one of them from the Lakers.

crc21209
06-23-2009, 07:25 PM
I said it last year....Oberto>Bonner. :lol. Bring back Bowen and Oberto, sign a FA big (Gortat, Sheed, Dice, Pachulia) or draft one, and call it an off-season.

bdictjames
06-23-2009, 07:26 PM
If Oberto does end up playing for the Pistons, Im hoping for a Spurs-Pistons final.

montgod
06-23-2009, 07:28 PM
Detroit made this move strictly to create a little more than $1.9 million more capspace. This is great news for us, as it gives them even more wiggle room to drive Odom's and Ariza's prices up and perhaps steal one of them from the Lakers.

Sorry, but I don't see the Spurs putting any more funds into the SF position besides picking up Bowen again and paying Finley if he chooses to exercise his player option.

montgod
06-23-2009, 07:29 PM
If Oberto does end up playing for the Pistons, Im hoping for a Spurs-Pistons final.

You won't be rooting for Detroit anytime soon. Oberto only provides a savings to Detroit if he is bought out before July 1st.

baseline bum
06-23-2009, 07:34 PM
Sorry, but I don't see the Spurs putting any more funds into the SF position besides picking up Bowen again and paying Finley if he chooses to exercise his player option.

I was talking about the Pistons possibly stealing one of them. They're looking to have maybe $22-$25 million under the cap to spend this summer.

Pistons < Spurs
06-23-2009, 07:55 PM
Amir Johnson traded to San Antonio (and then on to Milwaukee)
by A. Sherrod Blakely
Tuesday June 23, 2009, 8:35 PM

AUBURN HILLS - Amir Johnson's time as a Detroit Piston will officially end within the hour.

The Pistons are putting the finishing touches on a three-way trade involving San Antonio and Milwaukee that will send Johnson, a former second-round pick by Detroit, to San Antonio and then on to Milwaukee.

The key principles in the trade are Bucks guard/forward Richard Jefferson, who will be sent to San Antonio in exchange for Bruce Bowen and Kurt Thomas.

Meanwhile, the Pistons will send Johnson and cash to San Antonio in exchange for Fabricio Oberto who is expected to be waived by Detroit.

By waiving Oberto, that gives Detroit a little more salary cap flexibility this summer to go out and sign a pair of impact players.

I'll have more on this later in Booth Newspapers and on mlive.com.

http://www.mlive.com/pistons/index.ssf/2009/06/amir_johnson_traded_to_san_ant.html

meestahmeestah
06-23-2009, 07:57 PM
Amir Johnson traded to San Antonio (and then on to Milwaukee)
by A. Sherrod Blakely
Tuesday June 23, 2009, 8:35 PM

AUBURN HILLS - Amir Johnson's time as a Detroit Piston will officially end within the hour.

The Pistons are putting the finishing touches on a three-way trade involving San Antonio and Milwaukee that will send Johnson, a former second-round pick by Detroit, to San Antonio and then on to Milwaukee.

The key principles in the trade are Bucks guard/forward Richard Jefferson, who will be sent to San Antonio in exchange for Bruce Bowen and Kurt Thomas.

Meanwhile, the Pistons will send Johnson and cash to San Antonio in exchange for Fabricio Oberto who is expected to be waived by Detroit.

By waiving Oberto, that gives Detroit a little more salary cap flexibility this summer to go out and sign a pair of impact players.

I'll have more on this later in Booth Newspapers and on mlive.com.

http://www.mlive.com/pistons/index.ssf/2009/06/amir_johnson_traded_to_san_ant.html

WHAT?????? THAT'S AWESOME. :toast

Pistons < Spurs
06-23-2009, 08:00 PM
I really want to know how much $$$ is involved.

Big P
06-23-2009, 08:00 PM
WHAT?????? THAT'S AWESOME. :toast

It says "and then on to Milwaukee"

meestahmeestah
06-23-2009, 08:02 PM
It says "and then on to Milwaukee"

oh, derrrrr, to match the money up. sorry, I was a little stoked. I think Amir Johnson could have been good for the Spurs.

angelbelow
06-23-2009, 08:02 PM
wow amir johnson too... i dont know much about him though..

Yuixafun
06-23-2009, 08:03 PM
oh, derrrrr, to match the money up. sorry, I was a little stoked. I think Amir Johnson could have been good for the Spurs.

a little stoked? :lol

Spurs Brazil
Spurs get RJ and cash. This is great

Pistons < Spurs
wow amir johnson too... i dont know much about him though..

you got $$$$. Not Amir.

SenorSpur
06-23-2009, 08:04 PM
Spurs get RJ and cash. This is great

Maybe the Spurs can use that cash to buy their way into the end of the first round.

Spurs Brazil
06-23-2009, 08:06 PM
Maybe the Spurs can use that cash to buy their way into the end of the first round.

I think they'll just use to pay the tax

Big P
06-23-2009, 08:12 PM
Is the trade official? I just started thinking that instead of sending Amir to the Bucks, maybe we keep Amir & send the Bucks the cash??

DMX7
06-23-2009, 08:14 PM
Maybe even better, Detroit will buy out Oberto, and both him and Bowen can sign with us again.

If they traded for him... why would they cut him? That wouldn't save them much money, I don't think.

Spurs Brazil
06-23-2009, 08:19 PM
Spurs.com offical release have Oberto going to the Bucks. I think Bucks will trade with the Pistons and maybe they'll get some cash

Spurs Obtain Richard Jefferson

SAN ANTONIO – The San Antonio Spurs today announced they have obtained forward Richard Jefferson from the Milwaukee Bucks in exchange for Bruce Bowen, Fabricio Oberto and Kurt Thomas.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/090623_jefferson.html

completely deck
06-23-2009, 08:22 PM
obricio7 (http://twitter.com/obricio7)thanks y'all I really want to thanks , I've got four amazing years in san antonio and in texas....gracias

obricio7 (http://twitter.com/obricio7)gracias a todos , cuando sepa mas se los comento recien vuelvo y vi un monton de mensajes gracias

obricio7 (http://twitter.com/obricio7)@MoneyMase (http://twitter.com/MoneyMase) sorry mate no more screens for you hehehe

Aw. I really liked Fab for the reason that he worked his ass off, but it's all a business.

timvp
06-23-2009, 08:25 PM
I used to be high on Amir's potential ... but he just never lived up to it. The Pistons gave him a ton of choices last year and he couldn't figure out how to be an NBA player.

At this point, I'd rather see what Mahinmi could do. I'm glad the Spurs traded for RJ instead of doing separate deals with Oberto going for Amir.

Pistons < Spurs
06-23-2009, 08:31 PM
I used to be high on Amir's potential ... but he just never lived up to it. The Pistons gave him a ton of choices last year and he couldn't figure out how to be an NBA player.

At this point, I'd rather see what Mahinmi could do. I'm glad the Spurs traded for RJ instead of doing separate deals with Oberto going for Amir.

Bingo.

He's still very young and raw (only played 2 yrs in high school (due to grades) and no college). Still has lots of upside. But there's been very little obvious growth despite the opportunities given to him. Super athletic, but doesn't know how to play the game. He also doesn't come across as the smartest player on the roster.

In an uptempo system, some team may still get something out of him.

baseline bum
06-23-2009, 08:48 PM
If they traded for him... why would they cut him? That wouldn't save them much money, I don't think.

It nets them $1.9 million extra in capspace (only half of Oberto's deal is guaranteed).

fyatuk
06-23-2009, 09:16 PM
You can flip him if you trade him alone.

Correct. If you receive a player as part of a package in a trade, you cannot trade that player as part of a package for 2 months. You can however trade him individually immediately.