PDA

View Full Version : Alexander: Are The Spurs Short Of Big Men?

duncan228
06-23-2009, 07:18 PM
Are the Spurs short of big men? (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/spursworld/2009/06/are-the-spurs-short-of-big-men.html)
By Joe Alexander

The reported trade between the Spurs and Bucks would leave the Spurs without two of the four players listed at center on their current roster - Fabricio Oberto and Kurt Thomas.

That would have the Spurs looking to find a combination of players to eat up minutes - and hopefully provide some scoring, rebounding and defense - next to Tim Duncan.

Matt Bonner, who the Spurs listed as their starting center for most of last season, is under contract for one more season. He averaged 8.2 points and 4.8 rebounds in the 2008-09 regular season. His production slipped to 3.0 points and 3.2 rebounds in the playoffs.

This would be a great time for 22-year-old Ian Mahinmi to get healthy and be able to make a contribution. The 6-foot-11 center has only played in six NBA games in his career and had last season wiped out by an ankle injury. If Mahinmi had gone to college for four years starting at 18, he would have just finished his senior year - so it's not like he's over the hill.

Drew Gooden joined the Spurs late last season and averaged 7.3 points and 3.8 rebounds in the playoffs. He saw action in four of the five first-round games against the Mavericks. Gooden averages 12.0 points and 7.9 rebounds for his career. It will be interesting to see if the 6-foot-10 forward is back in a Spurs uniform next season.

Hoopshype.com has an easy to understand list of player salaries:

Spurs salaries (http://hoopshype.com/salaries/san_antonio.htm)

Bucks salaries (http://hoopshype.com/salaries/milwaukee.htm)

benefactor
06-23-2009, 07:20 PM
Patience grasshopper...more moves are coming.

DPG21920
06-23-2009, 07:20 PM
Sequ answer: yes.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-23-2009, 07:25 PM
Spurs championship hopes are going to drop like tommy gun bullets on valentines day if we don't beef up the front court with some non-gooden non-bonner non-china doll players.

exstatic
06-23-2009, 07:26 PM
Patience grasshopper...more moves are coming.

Not unless we're moving one of the big 3. There just isn't much player salary or tax room outside of that.

Lp26
06-23-2009, 07:26 PM
You guys should really go after Sheed w/ the MLE.

Dex
06-23-2009, 07:27 PM
If you're gonna be short two big men, July is the time to do it. Stay tuned, more moves to be made.

DPG21920
06-23-2009, 07:29 PM
Not unless we're moving one of the big 3. There just isn't much player salary or tax room outside of that.

Finley, Mason, Bonner and Hill comprise of 10.5M in expiring contracts. A deal within that range could be done.

SenorSpur
06-23-2009, 07:30 PM
They're far from done. It's highly unlikely the Spurs will be able to address their need for a big in the NBA draft. I expect another FA move a coming.

bigdog
06-23-2009, 07:31 PM
Finley, Mason, Bonner and Hill comprise of 10.5M in expiring contracts. A deal within that range could be done.

There's no possible way that Hill is traded now. With less cap room available, how would you expect the Spurs to fill the backup PG spot if Hill was dealt? Clearly, if the Spurs were to make a deal, it would be for a big. If Hill is dealt for a big, then the Spurs' backup PG position is fucked.

Spurtacus
06-23-2009, 07:32 PM
Admiral coming out of retirement August 09!

DPG21920
06-23-2009, 07:32 PM
There's no possible way that Hill is traded now. With less cap room available, how would you expect the Spurs to fill the backup PG spot if Hill was dealt? Clearly, if the Spurs were to make a deal, it would be for a big. If Hill is dealt for a big, then the Spurs' backup PG position is fucked.

There are some players that might shake loose in FA for cheap and in this draft they might be able to move up just enough to draft one (Mills...)

exstatic
06-23-2009, 07:54 PM
There are some players that might shake loose in FA for cheap and in this draft they might be able to move up just enough to draft one (Mills...)

The only leverage to move up in the draft, outside of the big 3, just went out in trade.

You people realize that you HAVE to have 13 players, and the Spurs are sitting on 10, or 11 if you count Finley as staying, don't you?

They probably have 3 slots to fill and THEY ARE AT OR OVER THE TAX.

More moves, my ass. They'll sign some big stiff to bang with Shaq and Yao, and that will be the off season.

jgome21
06-23-2009, 07:56 PM
Gortat

Marcus Bryant
06-23-2009, 07:56 PM
I'm inclined to agree with ex, but perhaps, just perhaps, Holt Cat realizes that the window is closing and it's now or never.

MarHill
06-23-2009, 07:57 PM
The only leverage to move up in the draft, outside of the big 3, just went out in trade.

You people realize that you HAVE to have 13 players, and the Spurs are sitting on 10, or 11 if you count Finley as staying, don't you?

More moves, my ass. They'll sign some big stiff to bang with Shaq and Yao, and that will be the off season.

They are already 4.5m over the luxury tax and from Buck Harvey's article....Peter Holt is okay with that. And he knows that the Spurs will try to make some more moves to add another big or two.

Plus they have the MLE and LLE.....so something else will happen.

Give the Spurs' FO for taking a good risk on getting RJ.

It's always easy to criticize them.....but also give credit where its due as well.

MaNu4Tres
06-23-2009, 08:04 PM

Your an idiot exstatic just like you were in the Trade Thread: Richard Jefferson topic. Spurs could easily land a big like Camby for Bonner Mason and Marcus Williams. More than likely Detroit will decline Oberto's option as they will try to add Boozer and Gordon in free agency, so theres a good chance Oberto comes back for the minimum. Same with Bowen. Then you can sign a Malik Rose or Mihm for the vet minimum .So that leaves us with a potential...

PG: Parker/ Hill
SG: Manu/ Finley
SF: Jefferson/ Bowen/ Hairston/ Gist
PF: Tim / (Rose/ Mihm/ Vet minimum PF or C)
C: Camby/ Mahimni/ Oberto

Then my friend you can add 2 spots on the inactive roster with your 2nd round picks or maybe even sign Kurt to the minimum if he gets bought out. That is how you can add a big man without trading one of the big three. I'm convinced Spurs are not done with trades this offseason. And obviously Holt doesn't mind going over the luxury tax, meaning even with this trade, Spurs could still go after Sheed/ Gortat/ Mcdyess in free agency with their MLE. In other words don't be so ignorant saying " more moves my ass". You were wrong before and you are more likely to be wrong again. Go talk about things you may know more about in other threads.

SenorSpur
06-23-2009, 08:08 PM
They are already 4.5m over the luxury tax and from Buck Harvey's article....Peter Holt is okay with that. And he knows that the Spurs will try to make some more moves to add another big or two.

Plus they have the MLE and LLE.....so something else will happen.

Give the Spurs' FO for taking a good risk on getting RJ.

It's always easy to criticize them.....but also give credit where its due as well.

Amen. :toast

MarHill
06-23-2009, 08:23 PM
Amen. :toast

I'm okay with criticism when its deserved.

However, I'm okay with giving credit when its due also.

You have to do both.

This time the Spurs FO' deserves credit for taking a good risk!!

:flag:

completely deck
06-23-2009, 08:27 PM
http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/3039/nervousf.gif

What to do, what to do.

bigdog
06-23-2009, 08:29 PM
Your an idiot exstatic just like you were in the Trade Thread: Richard Jefferson topic. Spurs could easily land a big like Camby for Bonner Mason and Marcus Williams. More than likely Detroit will decline Oberto's option as they will try to add Boozer and Gordon in free agency, so theres a good chance Oberto comes back for the minimum. Same with Bowen. Then you can sign a Malik Rose or Mihm for the vet minimum .So that leaves us with a potential...

Then my friend you can add 2 spots on the inactive roster with your 2nd round picks or maybe even sign Kurt to the minimum if he gets bought out. That is how you can add a big man without trading one of the big three. I'm convinced Spurs are not done with trades this offseason. And obviously Holt doesn't mind going over the luxury tax, meaning even with this trade, Spurs could still go after Sheed/ Gortat/ Mcdyess in free agency with their MLE. In other words don't be so ignorant saying " more moves my ass". You were wrong before and you are more likely to be wrong again. Go talk about things you may know more about in other threads.

I wouldn't mind Mihm, if he could stay healthy, but as for Malik Rose, he's completely done, and he's way too undersized to play against the bigs of the Western conference.

clubalien
06-23-2009, 08:31 PM
I'm inclined to agree with ex, but perhaps, just perhaps, Holt Cat realizes that the window is closing and it's now or never.

early playoff exit = less cash
holt greedy so he sees lux tax < lost playoff revenue without trade

timvp
06-23-2009, 08:32 PM
The Spurs were short of big men before the trade and are still short of big men.

MaNu4Tres
06-23-2009, 08:34 PM
I wouldn't mind Mihm, if he could stay healthy, but as for Malik Rose, he's completely done, and he's way too undersized to play against the bigs of the Western conference.

The main point wasn't going after Malik Rose. The point was we can add pieces for the minimum and make a trade for a big man without trading one of the big 3. I was using Malik and Mihm as examples.

MaNu4Tres
06-23-2009, 08:34 PM
The Spurs were short of big men before the trade and are still short of big men.

Agreed

completely deck
06-23-2009, 08:35 PM

And hopefully the FO sees this (they can't NOT see it) and are working out another gem.

Is it dog-pray.jpg time?

timvp
06-23-2009, 08:37 PM
And hopefully the FO sees this (they can't NOT see it) and are working out another gem.Yeah at least this way the Spurs FO can't pretend that the bigman position is fine. There's an obvious hole there now. They can now enter the draft and FA with one main goal in mind -- get a big.

Is it dog-pray.jpg time?I'll wait to see what the FO comes up with before I call on higher powers :hat

mookie2001
06-23-2009, 08:37 PM
If Mahinmi had gone to college for four years starting at 18, he would have just finished his senior year - so it's not like he's over the hill
what kind of crazy calculus is this?

HarlemHeat37
06-23-2009, 08:39 PM
Yes, we are clearly short of big men, but this trade is just a no-brainer..it's not like we lost Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett here, we lost Oberto and Thomas..

I find it hard to believe that the front office doesn't have a plan to follow this up..I would be surprised if Mason, Bonner, and/or Finley aren't traded for a big man, or if ownership just pays the luxury tax and uses the MLE..the trade is more believable, although I wouldn't have believed that we would pull this trade off, so anything can happen..

there's no way they don't have a plan though..I highly doubt they believe in Bonner and Mahinmi as our 2 big men next to Duncan..one guy that gets moist under pressure, and the other guy can't breathe without injuring something..

benefactor
I'm really not worried. If we sign/trade for one more decent vet big man we can fill out the rest of the roster with youngsters and we will be set.

coyotes_geek

I honestly think Holt realizes that. I don't see how he could look Tim Duncan in the eye and say "thanks for giving up $10 mil on your extension. we got you RJ. now it's up to you and Matt Bonner to hold down the front court." One way or the other the Spurs are going to find a way to add an MLE caliber big to the roster. Even if it means taking an even bigger luxury tax hit short term.

But, perhaps I'm just setting myself up for disappointment.

DPG21920
06-23-2009, 08:49 PM
Spurs have to sign an major rebounding/defensive big, and then fill the rest out with min contracts and pray for some production from them.

MaNu4Tres
06-23-2009, 08:58 PM
Spurs have to sign an major rebounding/defensive big, and then fill the rest out with min contracts and pray for some production from them.

The most production we really need outside a healthy big FOUR (that sounds so good btw)...is from players 5-9....players 10-12 just have to fill in adequately whenever someone is in foul trouble or is injured.

Lebowski Brickowski
06-23-2009, 08:59 PM
[QUOTE=exstatic;3483188]

Bowen = 1 spot

and it's very possible, though not very attractive, that Fabricio will be back as the starting 5. = 1 spot

HarlemHeat37
06-23-2009, 09:00 PM
I agree in general, but we definitely need a big man that is worthy of a starting spot..that's still a big hole..

we used to be able to rely on Duncan to completely dominate the paint defensively, and dominate on the boards..while he's still great at both aspects, he's obviously no longer in his prime, and won't be able to completely make up for a guy like Bonner..we need a guy that can start and deserve the spot..

I love what Boston does, having Kendrick Perkins playing next to KG..

completely deck
06-23-2009, 09:05 PM
There is a huge gap in the 4/5 spot, and Bonner is not the answer.

Have we forgotten about Udoka as trade fodder?

Kori Ellis
06-23-2009, 09:07 PM
I'm not going to worry about the Spurs lack of bigs when it's not even draft day yet. The Spurs will probably try to trade up, and then I'm sure they are going to float a package of Mason/Bonner out there to try to bring back some kind of vet big.

Oberto/Thomas were just bodies for the most part. So the team isn't any worse off than they were yesterday. It's easy to fill your roster with bodies that get you 3 and 2 (or whatever Oberto's stats were this past year). The Spurs will get something done to upgrade.

coyotes_geek
06-23-2009, 09:08 PM
There is a huge gap in the 4/5 spot, and Bonner is not the answer.

Have we forgotten about Udoka as trade fodder?

We haven't forgotten, but it's not like Udoka can get you much. Yes, technically the Spurs can use him in an S&T, but since he made peanuts the Spurs can only re-sign him to peanuts because he'd become BYC otherwise. The only situation Udoka holds S&T value in is if the Spurs have a deal they'd like to make but are stuck being $1 mil short on getting salaries to match.

HarlemHeat37
06-23-2009, 09:10 PM
I wouldn't wish Udoka on any team, even if it brought back something good..too cruel..

rascal
06-23-2009, 09:16 PM

Exactly. The spurs did not have a frontline before the trade. They needed to clean the frontline of ineffective players anyways.

timvp
06-23-2009, 09:27 PM
Exactly. The spurs did not have a frontline before the trade. They needed to clean the frontline of ineffective players anyways.

Yeah, getting rid of Oberto and Thomas is more of a plus than a minus. Both good players but both showed in the playoffs that their best days are behind them. The roster spots can be used to try to locate a big who could flourish into a legit start.

Besides, Oberto will get cut (and possibly Thomas, too) so if the Spurs strikeout elsewhere they could come back to square one.

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-23-2009, 09:28 PM
The Spurs were short of big men before the trade

My thoughts exactly.

exstatic
06-23-2009, 09:28 PM
Your an idiot exstatic just like you were in the Trade Thread: Richard Jefferson topic. Spurs could easily land a big like Camby for Bonner Mason and Marcus Williams.

Clippers already HAD Marcus Williams, and let him walk.

How many 3 for 1 trades do you pull before you have like 6 guys making $90M?

I'll be straight up: I'm not a huge RJ fan. I think he is an excellent role player, but a role player nonetheless, and no role player of any caliber should be paid $14-15M. That's a cap killer. For that money, you need to be able to hand a player the ball and say "go win me the game". RJ can't do that. He pretty much plays off of other players.

I'd LOVE Richard Jefferson at $8-9m. That extra $6-7M can get you a high quality big of the Gooden/Villanueva/'Sheed stripe. Instead, the Spurs have pretty much handcuffed themselves this year.

DPG21920
06-23-2009, 09:31 PM
You are assuming they will not trade or use the MLE. I would tend to agree with you, but then again I cannot see them making this move if it "handcuffed" them. Why would they do it then? Don't you think they saw the problems upfront last year?

timvp
06-23-2009, 09:35 PM

I'll be straight up: I'm not a huge RJ fan. I think he is an excellent role player, but a role player nonetheless, and no role player of any caliber should be paid $14-15M. That's a cap killer. For that money, you need to be able to hand a player the ball and say "go win me the game". RJ can't do that. He pretty much plays off of other players.

I'd LOVE Richard Jefferson at $8-9m. That extra $6-7M can get you a high quality big of the Gooden/Villanueva/'Sheed stripe. Instead, the Spurs have pretty much handcuffed themselves this year.That extra $$ keeps this from being a Gasol level robbery. As is, though, it's a pretty damn good trade and not a trade the Spurs could afford to pass up on.

I'd much rather have Jefferson now than go into free agency needing to trade or sign for a big and a wing. Now they can use all their efforts to find a big -- whether draft, trade or FA.

Russ
06-23-2009, 09:43 PM
Yeah, getting rid of Oberto and Thomas is more of a plus than a minus. Both good players but both showed in the playoffs that their best days are behind them. The roster spots can be used to try to locate a big who could flourish into a legit start.

I agree. This is addition by subtraction.

The Spurs don't need to rebuild in the traditional sense, but they do need to look at the 5 position as a rebuilding project.

When you rebuild, you first have to strip down to nothing. That's what the Spurs have done.

Now they can look clearly at what they have to do -- get athletic at the 5 (not Rasheed, nor Bonner, nor Oberto nor Thomas).

The view is much clearer now.

MaNu4Tres
06-23-2009, 09:44 PM

I'd LOVE Richard Jefferson at $8-9m. That extra $6-7M can get you a high quality big of the Gooden/Villanueva/'Sheed stripe. Instead, the Spurs have pretty much handcuffed themselves this year.

For 2 years left on his contract there wasn't going to be a better deal out there for us to improve at the 3 spot. We have a window of two years. Obviously Pop and R.C know what they are doing. You don't understand it because ...I won't get into it. Spurs would still be "handcuffed" even if they didn't make the trade and added a piece with the MLE say Gortat. They would have then had a big hole at the 3 spot if they decided to go that route. This trade was GREAT for the spurs for the fact that they will have a chance to maybe bring back Bowen, Oberto, and maybe even Kurt for all minimum deals. And we still have Mason and Bonner as trading chips for a veteran starting big man next to Tim. Now if Jefferson's deal had 5 years left on his contract then yeah I would agree with you. But it's not. We could even use his expiring contract as a trading asset next year if things don't work out. If that doesn't happen we will have a lot of cap space in 2011 for Duncan's last hooray.

MaNu4Tres
06-23-2009, 09:45 PM
You are assuming they will not trade or use the MLE. I would tend to agree with you, but then again I cannot see them making this move if it "handcuffed" them. Why would they do it then? Don't you think they saw the problems upfront last year?

Thank you DPG. I commend you for having common sense.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-23-2009, 10:37 PM

Well, the other thought I had today was that Mason and Bonner's deals expire after 2010. That's about 7 million in expiring contracts. Finley, if he agreed to exercise his option and be traded, would give them another 2.5 million in expiring contracts.

So 9.5 million to play with for some team looking for cap relief/more room next summer.

The Truth #6
06-23-2009, 10:39 PM
I agree with ex in general that there is no guarantee Holt is going to just keep spending money. We already have some players in the pipeline who we've invested time into. Ex is right - we aren't going to keep getting big contract players.

And to be honest, I want to see Gist and Ian get a chance to play, as well as Hairston.

Having said that we still need a veteran who can rebound. I don't know how we could get Foster but assuming he has anything left he would be the ideal player to target in my opinion.

If we could somehow package Bonner and Finley and get something in return, I would be very happy.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-23-2009, 10:39 PM

Anyone pining for Mihm or Malik Rose in free agency, or thinking Gortat can be had for what we have as far as money goes, really shouldn't be calling anyone an idiot.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-23-2009, 10:41 PM
[QUOTE=exstatic;3483188]

Bowen = 1 spot

and it's very possible, though not very attractive, that Fabricio will be back as the starting 5. = 1 spot

Fab might be back as a 12th man, but counting on a guy with continual heart problems as your starting five is pretty stupid.

bigdog
06-23-2009, 10:45 PM
I agree with ex in general that there is no guarantee Holt is going to just keep spending money. We already have some players in the pipeline who we've invested time into. Ex is right - we aren't going to keep getting big contract players.

And to be honest, I want to see Gist and Ian get a chance to play, as well as Hairston.

Having said that we still need a veteran who can rebound. I don't know how we could get Foster but assuming he has anything left he would be the ideal player to target in my opinion.

If we could somehow package Bonner and Finley and get something in return, I would be very happy.

I might be wrong, but I think Foster makes something in the $10 mil per year range. There's no possible way the Spurs can get him right now.

MaNu4Tres
06-23-2009, 10:45 PM
Anyone pining for Mihm or Malik Rose in free agency, or thinking Gortat can be had for what we have as far as money goes, really shouldn't be calling anyone an idiot.

PF: Tim / (Rose/ Mihm/ Vet minimum PF or C)..... It was an example. My point was you can trade for a veteran big man by shopping Mason and Bonner as a package and still add pieces for the Vet minimum.( That was the MAIN IDEA of my post). We are already over the Lux tax and if you think Pop and R.C did this trade knowing Holt wouldn't support finding a big man with our MLE your an idiot. Pop and R.C had to have had Holt's word that he would be willing to spend money for the hole at the 4/5 after the trade for RJ. Or they might have a plan to trade Mason/ Bonner for big.

Also it doesn't really matter who the Spurs fill in their roster for the 12-15 spots with the minimum. If we were to even add someone like Rose or Mihm they would be cheerleaders more than anything, so why are you trying to use that scenario as your main point to diffuse what I was trying to say?

Marcus Bryant
06-23-2009, 10:51 PM
You use the MLE to target a McDyess, Gooden, Pachulia, or Wallace. For the LLE maybe you can land a Nesterovic. The Spurs' frontcourt has a lot of holes, which isn't necessarily a new problem as last season bore out. At least now the Spurs are forced to address it. They don't make the Jefferson trade without realizing that they are also going to have to spend to fill those holes in the frontcourt.

bigdog
06-23-2009, 10:54 PM
You use the MLE to target a McDyess, Gooden, Pachulia, or Wallace. For the LLE maybe you can land a Nesterovic. The Spurs' frontcourt has a lot of holes, which isn't necessarily a new problem as last season bore out. At least now the Spurs are forced to address it. They don't make the Jefferson trade without realizing that they are also going to have to spend to fill those holes in the frontcourt.

Exactly. I almost fully expect the Spurs to use the MLE this year on a big, whether it's Gooden, McDyess, Zaza, or Rasheed. I think really think Holt got his head out of his ass and decided to go over the lux tax to go in a "win now" type of mode.

I'd be happy with a McDyess(or Gooden) and Rasho signing.

The Truth #6
06-23-2009, 10:57 PM
I might be wrong, but I think Foster makes something in the $10 mil per year range. There's no possible way the Spurs can get him right now.

Ouch. Never mind. Nonetheless, we need a pure rebounder. If we have to give one of our last roster spots to a D-leaguer who rebounds (and probably that's about it) then we need to consider it.

Our best non Big 3 trading asset is Hill. Considering Pop's reluctance to trust him, I have to wonder if he's on the block. Hill, Mason, Bonner, and Finley all are probably being shopped to see what they can get.

coyotes_geek
06-23-2009, 11:03 PM
Foster is down around $6 mil, but it doesn't matter. Indiana has no reason to trade him to us.

TDMVPDPOY
06-23-2009, 11:13 PM
I'm not going to worry about the Spurs lack of bigs when it's not even draft day yet. The Spurs will probably try to trade up, and then I'm sure they are going to float a package of Mason/Bonner out there to try to bring back some kind of vet big.

Oberto/Thomas were just bodies for the most part. So the team isn't any worse off than they were yesterday. It's easy to fill your roster with bodies that get you 3 and 2 (or whatever Oberto's stats were this past year). The Spurs will get something done to upgrade.

SPURS should also be lookn at gettin rid of finley also....

i think MLE for RASHO 1 yr seems reasonable....

loveforthegame
06-23-2009, 11:14 PM
If all else fails what about looking at Ryan Hollins?

MaNu4Tres
06-24-2009, 01:13 AM
SPURS should also be lookn at gettin rid of finley also....

i think MLE for RASHO 1 yr seems reasonable....

Finley has an option. If he accepts his player option there's probably a less than 5 percent chance that he's traded. Mason is the most realistic player on the current roster than could be traded in order to address our big situation.