PDA

View Full Version : The "Unidentified Network" Vista problem...

MaNuMaNiAc
06-23-2009, 11:14 PM
anyone get this? I can't seem to be able to connect to internet with my laptop anymore. Not even with my home connection, which never happened before. Now all it gives me is a "local only" and "Unidentified Network" bullshit. What the hell could be causing this?

I've been reading around the net and none of the solutions offered work for me. I don't use Norton, although it did come with the laptop (have already used Norton Removal Utility to eliminate all trace). I've tried editing the Dhcp registry keys and nothing...

Nothing seems to be working. I've also treid connection via cable (i normally connect via a Linksys router) and the same thing happens...

Anyone have any suggestions? Anything would be appreciated

ace3g
06-24-2009, 12:45 AM
down in the bottom right where your start up icons are, right click on the currently connected icon (the one with 2 blue screens and a circle) > Diagnose and Repair > a pop up with about 3 options should appear one of which says reset your IP address (something along those lines) that should do the trick

I had a problem similar to this the other day when I wanted to connect to my friends wireless internet and wired internet with my laptop, I never had any problems before.

If that doesn't work look up on google, how to reset your IP on vista.

Hopefully this helps resolve the problem.

ace3g
06-24-2009, 12:50 AM
Most public networks automatically assign an IP address to your computer. You won’t need to manually change your computer’s IP address to access the network, but you may have to enable the protocol. In WinXP, click Start, select Connect To, choose Wireless Network Connection, and then select Properties for your desired network connection. Scroll down to the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) menu item and click Properties. Make sure that the radio buttons for Obtain An IP Address Automatically, Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically, and Automatic Private IP Address are selected on the two tabs.

In Vista, click Start, Control Panel, View Network Status And Tasks, and Manage Network Connections (on the left side under Tasks). Right-click the wireless network icon and select Properties. In Vista, you’ll have to make the same changes (automatic DNS and IP selection) for both IPv6 and IPv4 menu items unless you’re sure which protocol the network uses. In most cases, it’s best to play it safe and change both.

http://www.pctoday.com/editorial/article.asp?article=articles%2F2009%2Ft0707%2F28t0 7%2F28t07.asp

ace3g
06-24-2009, 12:53 AM
another option you could try is to reset your router

Cry Havoc
06-24-2009, 10:42 AM
Have you tried using another router? Linksys routers have been notorious for being defective in my experience.

koriwhat
06-24-2009, 10:58 AM
ubuntu or osx

CuckingFunt
06-24-2009, 11:17 AM
Vista has done that to me twice. In both cases, resetting the router was enough to get it going again.

sabar
06-24-2009, 02:06 PM
Vista is such a piece of crap. I've had networking issues with my laptop countless times that I never got on XP/ubuntu (which is sad since linux wireless support is a hack-job for the most part). Basically there could be a ton of things wrong and most people already mentioned possible fixes.

1. reset router
2. turn wireless on/off on laptop (or pull out the card if it isn't built-in)
3. disable/re-enable the connection in windows
4. diagnose/repair option in windows

Cry Havoc
06-24-2009, 02:22 PM
Vista is such a piece of crap. I've had networking issues with my laptop countless times that I never got on XP/ubuntu (which is sad since linux wireless support is a hack-job for the most part). Basically there could be a ton of things wrong and most people already mentioned possible fixes.

1. reset router
2. turn wireless on/off on laptop (or pull out the card if it isn't built-in)
3. disable/re-enable the connection in windows
4. diagnose/repair option in windows

Why blame this on Vista? Linksys routers are mostly absolute crap. I wouldn't buy another one if it came with a rebate that made it free.

to21
06-24-2009, 03:09 PM
If you try all of the above already.....try redoing the IP stack (you said you touched the registry, is this what u where trying to do?).

Search for resetting TCP/IP on google.

CuckingFunt
06-24-2009, 06:42 PM
Why blame this on Vista? Linksys routers are mostly absolute crap. I wouldn't buy another one if it came with a rebate that made it free.

Ditto. I've had wireless hiccups with Vista twice that were easily fixed, but the Linksys router at my old office caused XP to freak out on almost a monthly basis.

MaNuMaNiAc
07-03-2009, 03:06 PM
Thanks to everyone that tried to help. Unfortunately, none of the suggestions in this thread worked. In the end, it wasn't a router problem but a vista one. I formatted the HD and reinstalled Vista and everything was back to normal. It was a pain in the ass to backup everything I had there but I suppose its over now. Hopefully it doesn't happen again.

Thanks for the help! :tu

ElNono
07-03-2009, 03:52 PM
Thanks to everyone that tried to help. Unfortunately, none of the suggestions in this thread worked. In the end, it wasn't a router problem but a vista one. I formatted the HD and reinstalled Vista and everything was back to normal. It was a pain in the ass to backup everything I had there but I suppose its over now. Hopefully it doesn't happen again.

:shootme

This is the kind of shit that makes me glad I bought this Mac Mini.

Heath Ledger
07-03-2009, 06:23 PM
20" Imac FTW
Macbook Duo Core 2.4ghz FTW on the road.

koriwhat
07-03-2009, 06:49 PM
20" Imac FTW
Macbook Duo Core 2.4ghz FTW on the road.

24" imac FTW! haha.

ElNono
07-03-2009, 07:11 PM
I got one of the new MacMinis, with the NVidia 9400 chipset...

4 gigs of RAM and...

26" Viewsonic!!! :tu

koriwhat
07-03-2009, 07:32 PM
I got one of the new MacMinis, with the NVidia 9400 chipset...

4 gigs of RAM and...

26" Viewsonic!!! :tu

lucky! i want a macbook pro already... never really wanted a laptop before but damn lately i have been on the run so much i think a laptop is a necesity.

anyhow... lucky!

Libri
07-03-2009, 09:59 PM
ubuntu or osx

I'm getting ready to build a computer and install Ubuntu. Do you think that would be a good Linux distro choice?

ElNono
07-04-2009, 12:14 AM
lucky! i want a macbook pro already... never really wanted a laptop before but damn lately i have been on the run so much i think a laptop is a necesity.

anyhow... lucky!

I had the monitor already from my old windows box. It's neat because it's 1920x1080 native (1080p), DVI with HDCP and it has a HDMI input for my XBOX 360.
It wasn't that expensive either. Wife bought it at Costco as a xmas present for me. :D

The new MacBook Pros have actually come down in price a lot and they look real fancy. The only thing I don't like is the non-removable battery.

Heath Ledger
07-10-2009, 10:37 PM
Im selling 3 laptops and my Imac to get the new 3.06 dual core 24" macbook.

Heath Ledger
07-10-2009, 10:38 PM
if you have the right tools its removable, that bitch isn't super glued shut.

ElNono
07-10-2009, 10:50 PM
if you have the right tools its removable, that bitch isn't super glued shut.

Kind of uncomfortable to do when you're on a plane...

koriwhat
07-11-2009, 03:47 AM
i need to get a small hd with input and output for dv... i'm so sick of this old tube tv and i wish my imac had an input for my 360. :(

J.T.
07-11-2009, 04:43 AM
What does it mean if my network connection icon in Vista perpetually has a red X on it. Like in this pic, only one I could find on Google.

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/top-5-ways-to-troubleshoot-broadband-connection-1.jpg

My connection is fine but the icon seems to be fucked.