duncan228
06-23-2009, 11:31 PM
Thanks.

ducks
06-23-2009, 11:31 PM
Rack him

timvp
06-23-2009, 11:33 PM
Wow. That is a very exciting video with RC. He not-so-subtly hints that the RJ trade is just the beginning and that there is much more work to be done during the draft. He also mentioned how the economic climate could possibly give the Spurs opportunities to make other moves.

He repeatedly said that Pop and Holt have told him to go all out in an attempt to bring more championships.

That video gives me hope that this is just the beginning of a major offseason makeover :hungry:

Kori Ellis
The video is interesting. Looks like the Spurs are going to be big spenders this summer by how he talks. I'm guessing they'll be one more trade, plus they'll use the MLE.

bigdog
I said this in the other thread, but it seems like they have some other moves up their sleeves. I wouldd not be surprised at all if they make multiple moves from here til Training Camp. It looks like Holt and SS&E are willing to pay the luxury tax if it means putting a championship-caliber team on the court.

Also, RC mentioned the possibility of bringing over some of the draft picks they've stashed overseas.

timvp
06-23-2009, 11:34 PM
Buford also makes it sound like neither Bowen nor Oberto will be back ... but he could be playing coy. Even hinting that they could return could potentially derail this trade.

coyotes_geek
06-23-2009, 11:34 PM
Wow. That is a very exciting video with RC. He not-so-subtly hints that the RJ trade is just the beginning and that there is much more work to be done during the draft. He also mentioned how the economic climate could possibly give the Spurs opportunities to make other moves.

He repeatedly said that Pop and Holt have told him to go all out in an attempt to bring more championships.

That video gives me hope that this is just the beginning of a major offseason makeover :hungry:

I thought the reference to "opportunities" and draft night were particularly interesting.

timvp
06-23-2009, 11:35 PM
I thought the reference to "opportunities" and draft night were particularly interesting.

Yeah, that was shocking. The Spurs always claim they are doing nothing. He made a point a couple of times to mention how draft day could be active.

:wow

bigdog
06-23-2009, 11:39 PM
Yeah, that was shocking. The Spurs always claim they are doing nothing. He made a point a couple of times to mention how draft day could be active.

:wow

Yeah, usually something like this would be the classic Spurs' FO CIA talk, but for some reason it seems like the Spurs are being serious about it this year.

ducks
06-23-2009, 11:39 PM
I think spurs know if they do not improve
people will not come out with the economy and they will lose the money anyhow
and tp wants better talent

Marcus Bryant
06-23-2009, 11:40 PM
Buford also makes it sound like neither Bowen nor Oberto will be back ... but he could be playing coy. Even hinting that they could return could potentially derail this trade.

True. I wouldn't want to see Oberto back as anything other than the 5th big. But honestly Bonner should be the 5th, provided he stays.

Bowen not coming back may indeed be what happens (Pop's treatment of him last season seemed to indicate that). But he would make a lot of sense as the 5th wing, unless they are really looking to shake things up...

Ditty
06-23-2009, 11:41 PM
buford just looked like he made this trade at a bar the way he looks

jag
06-23-2009, 11:42 PM
I wonder if the Spurs will use Mason or the MLE to try and get a big....

Marcus Bryant
06-23-2009, 11:42 PM
Finley + Bonner + Mason would allow them to take back a $10 mil salary.

jag
06-23-2009, 11:46 PM

A S&T with Gooden opens up a lot of possibilities as well.

tmtcsc
06-23-2009, 11:47 PM
Yikes. RC sounded as though Bruce may not be in the plans even if he is available to come back. Perhaps they really are saying goodbye for good. If that's the case, then THANK YOU Bruce !!!! You were a HUGE part of this team's success and you will be missed.

MaNu4Tres
06-23-2009, 11:48 PM
Yikes. RC sounded as though Bruce may not be in the plans even if he is available to come back. Perhaps they really are saying goodbye for good. If that's the case, then THANK YOU Bruce !!!! You were a HUGE part of this team's success and you will be missed.

Originally Posted by timvp View Post

Ditty
06-23-2009, 11:50 PM
bruce will be probably be plan C

oberto will be plan D

Marcus Bryant
06-23-2009, 11:51 PM

They don't have his Bird Rights though.

Blackjack
06-23-2009, 11:51 PM

Thanks for the recap.:toast (I'm not able to download video)

Just reading that put a big-ass, ridiculous, smile on my face.:hungry:

Mel_13
06-23-2009, 11:53 PM

Not allowed under the CBA. Spurs don't have his Bird Rights and so would have to use the MLE to sign him. Not allowed to do a sign and trade with a player signed with the MLE.

Sense
This is gonna be interesting :)

tmtcsc
Originally Posted by timvp View Post

Good point, I did read that. I just don't believe it. I didn't expect him to overtly say that Bruce was still in the plans but I also wouldn't expect him to emphasize how much the guys may miss the players that were moved. Why do that ?

He also went out of his way to say that they are going forward with the belief that Manu will be back helping them chase Championships. I don't see him being part of any future trade plans.

loveforthegame
06-23-2009, 11:54 PM
He could have been playing coy but I don't think Bowen or Oberto will be back. The way he said Jefferson is starting a new era (or something like that) led me to believe they wouldn't be bringing those guys back.

LOL. The look on his face says Ginobli will not be traded. Just throwing that out there in case some are hoping it will happen.

Sounds like they're excited for the draft and that similiar opportunities will be there. Whether they happen or not is up in the air but there will be opportunities on draft day.

bigdog
06-23-2009, 11:56 PM
Good point, I did read that. I just don't believe it. I didn't expect him to overtly say that Bruce was still in the plans but I also wouldn't expect him to emphasize how much the guys may miss the players that were moved. Why do that ?

He also went out of his way to say that they are going forward with the belief that Manu will be back helping them chase Championships. I don't see him being part of any future trade plans.

RC would say that, because if he shows any sign that the players that were traded would be coming back, then the NBA could get involved and investigate any pre-arranged deal for a player to be cut by the receiving team, only to go back to their old team. See: Dallas Mavericks and Jerry Stackhouse.

Dave McNulla
06-23-2009, 11:56 PM
that kind of trade would also drop the squad to 6 or 7 players.

Marcus Bryant
06-23-2009, 11:58 PM
that kind of trade would also drop the squad to 6 or 7 players.

True. But they'd still have the MLE and LLE to use. Plus I'd rather they have a top 7 that matches up with anyone in the league and filled out with young prospects and vet min players instead of the alternative.

Big P
06-24-2009, 12:02 AM
Another interesting comment by RC was about "former draft picks playing in Europe who are going to come over" Splitter? Gist? Sankidze?

bigdog
06-24-2009, 12:04 AM
Another interesting comment by RC was about "former draft picks playing in Europe who are going to come over" Splitter? Gist? Sankidze?

Javtokas :hat

Big P
I can't really believe it, but I think we are actually seeing the Spurs starting to make THE move, knowing TD & Manu will retire in a couple of years...its now or never apparently.

tmtcsc
RC would say that, because if he shows any sign that the players that were traded would be coming back, then the NBA could get involved and investigate any pre-arranged deal for a player to be cut by the receiving team, only to go back to their old team. See: Dallas Mavericks and Jerry Stackhouse.

I hear you, but that's just not RC's style to put on an act. We went through this with the Brent Barry trade and came away without a problem. There was no need for him to mention that the team was sorry to see the guys who had battled here go. I would have expected a "the guys understand this is a business ...." stuff.

I'd love to see Bruce come back but I am beginning to believe he is done here. His minutes were borderline insulting last year. I think the coaching staff must have really felt he had become a liability and too slow to do the job. I thought they gave up a little too soon but what do I know ?

lefty
06-24-2009, 12:05 AM
NBA TV: " Ian Mahinma "

:lmao :donkey

tmtcsc
06-24-2009, 12:05 AM
Javtokas :hat

Gist. Javtokas isn't even good.

jag
06-24-2009, 12:06 AM
They don't have his Bird Rights though.

Not allowed under the CBA. Spurs don't have his Bird Rights and so would have to use the MLE to sign him. Not allowed to do a sign and trade with a player signed with the MLE.

Noted. Thanks for the info.

Marcus Bryant
06-24-2009, 12:07 AM

Javtokas, perhaps.

I think Gist is a good candidate to make the jump. They don't really have anyone else like him and his length and athleticism is quite intriguing. They still need that big 3/small 4 who can step out on the perimeter and guard perimeter oriented bigs (like you know who). I think if he has a good summerleague and camp he'll make the opening day roster.

Back to Javtokas. He does provide the Spurs with a cheap bigman option. I think it's now or never for him to move to the NBA.

As for Sanikidze, he is also another candidate, though I think the next step for him would be to play in a better European league for year.

El Fuego
06-24-2009, 12:08 AM

Can we us Horry in a one year sign and trade aswell? like when dallas used keith van horn in the trade for kidd. I think trading horry was an option last year but not sure if theres a time limit on it

Spursfan092120
06-24-2009, 12:08 AM
Great video..I'm excited about Thursday now...Anyone else notice that RC dresses like a cool pimp? lol

angelbelow
06-24-2009, 12:09 AM
True. But they'd still have the MLE and LLE to use. Plus I'd rather they have a top 7 that matches up with anyone in the league and filled out with young prospects and vet min players instead of the alternative.

i totally agree.

timvp

I just posted about that in the Think Tank.

This trade makes a lot of sense but it'd make a LOT of sense if Splitter has told the team that he's coming over this season :wow

jag
Id really like to see the Spurs keep Mason and go after a big with the MLE/LLE. Having mason can aid in keeping Manu's minutes down.

lefty
06-24-2009, 12:10 AM
Great video..I'm excited about Thursday now...Anyone else notice that RC dresses like a cool pimp? lol
Maybe if he didn't spend all the Holt money on haircare products we would have won 4 more titles

bigdog
06-24-2009, 12:11 AM
Javtokas, perhaps.

I think Gist is a good candidate to make the jump. They don't really have anyone else like him and his length and athleticism is quite intriguing. They still need that big 3/small 4 who can step out on the perimeter and guard perimeter oriented bigs (like you know who). I think if he has a good summerleague and camp he'll make the opening day roster.

Back to Javtokas. He does provide the Spurs with a cheap bigman option. I think it's now or never for him to move to the NBA.

As for Sanikidze, he is also another candidate, though I think the next step for him would be to play in a better European league for year.

I agree. I think Gist is definitely a possibility, but this also seems like the more opportune time for Javtokas to come over. Actually, this would be the perfect time for him to come over.

As for Sanikidze, I agree with what you said. We haven't seen enough of him at a high level of play to know if he's NBA-ready or not.

Buddy Holly
06-24-2009, 12:13 AM

He also makes reference to "past draft picks" coming back from Europe.

lefty
06-24-2009, 12:14 AM
Just look at this Jefferson dunk on Odom

Isn't that a pretty sight ? :D

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/07UCfkndWVfsw/340x.jpg

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-24-2009, 12:14 AM
RC also mentioned in talking about the draft that Friday morning will also be exciting for the Spurs.

Veeeeeeeeeeeery interesting....

completely deck
06-24-2009, 12:15 AM

This trade makes a lot of sense but it'd make a LOT of sense if Splitter has told the team that he's coming over this season :wow

http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/3039/nervousf.gif

Nnnnnggggg... So excited...

Marcus Bryant
06-24-2009, 12:15 AM
Can we us Horry in a one year sign and trade aswell? like when dallas used keith van horn in the trade for kidd. I think trading horry was an option last year but not sure if theres a time limit on it

I think they can use him in a deal, but I'm not sure the Spurs use their MLE and take on a similiar salary in a trade. There's bound to be a limit to Holt's new spendthriftiness.

Marcus Bryant
06-24-2009, 12:16 AM
RC also mentioned in talking about the draft that Friday morning will also be exciting for the Spurs.

Veeeeeeeeeeeery interesting....

Probably because that'll be when they introduce Jefferson and the guy they're going to cut in October.

loveforthegame
Gosh, I'm trying not to get my hopes up for draft day but RC's talk was contagious.

SenorSpur
I'd be fine if the Spurs didn't bring any of the guys back. No offense to either of them because they were good pros and good guys - especially Bowen. However, the Spurs really need to continue moving in the aggressive direction they're headed. The team needs better talent and better skills on the frontline and from positions 5-15.

It's very encouraging to hear that the both the ownership and FO are in lock-step and have demonstrated their commitment toward keeping this championship window open for the duration of the Duncan era. This is a really good thiing.

It's also a good thing that the Spurs plan on being buyers in an expected sellers market. Cuban and the Mavs have talked openly about having this same philosophy this summer. I'm just pleased the Spurs have gotten out of the gate first. Can't wait to see what else is up.

MaNu4Tres
06-24-2009, 12:17 AM

lol If that was the case. He wouldn't take up any of our MLE correc? Wouldn't he be paid the rookie scale ?

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-24-2009, 12:17 AM
I hear you, but that's just not RC's style to put on an act. We went through this with the Brent Barry trade and came away without a problem. There was no need for him to mention that the team was sorry to see the guys who had battled here go. I would have expected a "the guys understand this is a business ...." stuff.

I'd love to see Bruce come back but I am beginning to believe he is done here. His minutes were borderline insulting last year. I think the coaching staff must have really felt he had become a liability and too slow to do the job. I thought they gave up a little too soon but what do I know ?

Geez... it's not about putting on an act. If the Spurs even hint about Bowen or Oberto coming back, the league could kill the trade and penalize the Spurs.

R.C. ain't stupid.

Buddy Holly
06-24-2009, 12:19 AM
Damn. Imagine. (Without taking into account any other possible trades or draft selections)

Parker/Hill
Mason/Ginobili/Finley
Jefferson/Gist
Duncan/Ian/Bonner
Splitter/McDycess

:wow:wow:wow:wow

El Fuego
06-24-2009, 12:21 AM
Damn. Imagine. (Without taking into account any other possible trades or draft selections)

Parker/Hill
Mason/Ginobili/Finley
Jefferson/Gist
Duncan/Ian/Bonner
Splitter/McDycess

:wow:wow:wow:wow

switch mcdycess with Rasheed and we're set. well either way we will be awsome

lefty
06-24-2009, 12:22 AM
Gosh, I'm trying not to get my hopes up for draft day but RC's talk was contagious.
" And with the 20th pick of the 2009 NBA draft, the San Antonio Spurs select...... Luke Bonner "

bigdog
06-24-2009, 12:23 AM
Thats who I have been thinking about the whole day. Him and Ian. People were saying how Oberto and Thomas leave us small in the front court, but people forget that we have Gooden as a FA, Javtokas, Gist and maybe Tiago. Plus Ian is still on our roster. I doubt he is as good as everyone here hopes he is, but if he provides athletic ability solid D and rebounding for next season I'm all for him being an off the bench player.

Me too, and out of all of the draft picks overseas, this might be the best possible option for this year.

Marcus Bryant
06-24-2009, 12:24 AM
One wonders what they could get if they sought to buy a pick in the late teens or twenties. Of course, Portland will set the market price at $3 mil so that might be a bit steep.

tmtcsc
When did Javtoaks get better ?

jcrod
Man this is freaking exciting. I'm pumped.

bigdog
06-24-2009, 12:26 AM

No one said he got better, but he's a cheap big that the Spurs could get this year, that provides some hustle and rebounding.

ducks

when did he get mentally strong and not worried about playing time

wildbill2u
This will take the focus off the 3 spot and turn the Spurs braintrust to PF and C position in the draft. Gotta recalibrate my picks in a hurry.

Buddy Holly
06-24-2009, 12:28 AM
'Sota's 18th pick would be ideal and since they have 4 picks maybe they don't want much. However, reports are that they're trying to get the second with the 5th and 6th picks.

So who knows.

tmtcsc
06-24-2009, 12:30 AM
No one said he got better, but he's a cheap big that the Spurs could get this year, that provides some hustle and rebounding.

No offense bigdog, but I thought the whole Javtokas thing had played itself out. We had a chance to bring him here a few years ago and didn't do it. He had some issues. Since that time, I thought his game never really developed.
I would think that Ian Mahinmi would fill that role for us.

Spursfan092120
06-24-2009, 12:31 AM
Ahhhh
xhejWIUS7Gc

Solid D
Javtokas is probably not in the cards for the Spurs but he does have a connection with Richard Jefferson. Remember, they were Wildcats together for one year playing for Lute.

Buddy Holly
Rewatched it and I am pretty confident the Spurs make a trade on draft night.

El Fuego
i cant remember if it was ticket 760 or espn 1250, but a caller called in and said he new someone in the know with the spurs and tiago splitter would be coming pretty much guaranteed. i thought he was full of crap till now after hearing rc talk.

Big P
06-24-2009, 12:42 AM
Ahhhh
xhejWIUS7Gc

lol...facial on Bonner at :32 :lmao

SenorSpur
06-24-2009, 12:44 AM
Perhaps that would explain RC's Chesire cat grin.

However, it doesn't explain his "pimped out" look.

loveforthegame
06-24-2009, 12:46 AM
Splitter and Gist are the only two overseas players to get excited about. No offense to Javtokas or Sanikidze.

EricB
06-24-2009, 12:49 AM

You oughtta see him in his box with Lindsey and others

Freshly washed hair combed, suit with collar popped, cup of diet coke.

Dudes a freaking pimp its hilarious :lol

Whats funny is hes such a pretty boy, and Pop is such a slob.

Funny contrasts.

EricB
06-24-2009, 12:55 AM
Watching that, I don't get the sense that theres anything on the table, just that they are gonna be agressive.

SenorSpur
06-24-2009, 01:02 AM
You oughtta see him in his box with Lindsey and others

Freshly washed hair combed, suit with collar popped, cup of diet coke.

Dudes a freaking pimp its hilarious :lol

Whats funny is hes such a pretty boy, and Pop is such a slob.

Funny contrasts.

Kind of like Oscar & Felix of "Odd Couple" fame.

What's even more odd is that, despite dressing like the slob, Pop is the Renaissance man that knows international cuisine and fine wine, yet is the slob. I wonder if RC is more of a burger and Colt 45 kind of guy, while being the equivalent of the Madison Ave male model.

Just had another funny thought. Imagine RC doing a commerical with the Lebron character - the one where he portrays the ficitious, "real" smooth pimp in the white suit. :lol

Buddy Holly
06-24-2009, 01:05 AM
Watching that, I don't get the sense that theres anything on the table, just that they are gonna be agressive.

It's the fact they're saying things they've never said before, esp, right before the draft.

xellos88330
06-24-2009, 01:08 AM
Spurs FO is making me lose so much sleep!!! Is the draft on thursday just the first round??? Never watched it before, so now I HAVE to watch it!!!!

EricB
06-24-2009, 01:12 AM
It's the fact they're saying things they've never said before, esp, right before the draft.

Yeah I agree with that.

While he's talking about making things happen draft night and things will be fun friday morning.

I'm shocked.

This is the antithesis of CIA. I mean they are pretty much letting everyone in to a point. Its unreal.

that being said. I don't think they will trade into the first round, I don't see it happening.

baseline bum
06-24-2009, 01:14 AM
As I listed to RC it seemed like all signs were pointing to the Spurs trying to resuscitate the deal for Cotton Camby. I'd much rather have Dice or Sheed though.

MaNu4Tres
06-24-2009, 01:15 AM
As I listed to RC it seemed like all signs were pointing to the Spurs trying to resuscitate the deal for Cotton Camby. I'd much rather have Dice or Sheed though.

You could have both. I.E Trade Mason Marcus Williams and Bonner for Camby then use the MLE on Sheed or Mcdyess.

baseline bum
06-24-2009, 01:17 AM

I trust Splitter's word about as much as whottt trusts Obama's.

MaNu4Tres
06-24-2009, 01:17 AM
Only way I'd trade Mason though is if Finley and Bruce come back. Or maybe even just Bruce because of the fact that Hill will be given more minutes at the 2 spot.

rayray2k8
06-24-2009, 01:43 AM
lol...facial on Bonner at :32 :lmao

Typical Bonner. As mobile as a scarecrow..
1:38 looks nice. :tu

Mark in Austin
06-24-2009, 01:44 AM

Not sure what the motivation for LA would be now - Camby is in the last year of his deal so salary dump is out. Maybe to free up space for Griffen but they don't really play the same position...

talk about a crowded frontcourt for LA - Griffen, Thornton, Randolph, Kamen, Camby. And nobody will touch Randolph or Kamen.

anybody know Camby's actual salary? The ESPN trade machine has him at $10M but hoopshype has him at $7.6M.

Mark in Austin
06-24-2009, 01:46 AM

for a second there I could swear I heard "what is love?" playing in the background...

MaNu4Tres
06-24-2009, 01:47 AM
Not sure what the motivation for LA would be now - Camby is in the last year of his deal so salary dump is out. Maybe to free up space for Griffen but they don't really play the same position...

talk about a crowded frontcourt for LA - Griffen, Thornton, Randolph, Kamen, Camby. And nobody will touch Randolph or Kamen.

anybody know Camby's actual salary? The ESPN trade machine has him at $10M but hoopshype has him at $7.6M.

7.6 after July 1st. Mason and Bonner might work after July 1st. Marcus Williams may have to be included.

duncan228
06-24-2009, 01:50 AM
Is the draft on thursday just the first round??? Never watched it before, so now I HAVE to watch it!!!!

First and second. It's on ESPN from 7PM to Midnight EST.

Vic Petro
06-24-2009, 01:51 AM
Chad Ford getting weird:

Given that, a couple of potential trade scenarios come to mind. These are not rumors, just hypotheticals.

What about San Antonio's Tony Parker (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=1015), Roger Mason (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=1721) and Matt Bonner (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=1996) for Ray Allen (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=9) and Rondo? The Celtics would get another young championship point guard and the Spurs would get a new backcourt capable of winning a title, as we've seen.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-24-2009, 01:52 AM
Fuck that.

timvp
06-24-2009, 01:52 AM
Chad Ford getting weird:

Given that, a couple of potential trade scenarios come to mind. These are not rumors, just hypotheticals.

What about San Antonio's Tony Parker (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=1015), Roger Mason (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=1721) and Matt Bonner (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=1996) for Ray Allen (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=9) and Rondo? The Celtics would get another young championship point guard and the Spurs would get a new backcourt capable of winning a title, as we've seen.

:lmao @ that trade.

timtonymanu
06-24-2009, 01:55 AM
Chad Ford getting weird:

lol. wat a dumbass. Why trade a point guard in his prime for a person that will retire in a few years and a pg that cant shoot?

EricB
06-24-2009, 01:57 AM
:lol

Whats the Spurs motivation for that?

baseline bum
06-24-2009, 02:00 AM

It's for the good of the league so we can see Boston/LA again.

SenorSpur
06-24-2009, 02:06 AM
Spurs FO is making me lose so much sleep!!! Is the draft on thursday just the first round??? Never watched it before, so now I HAVE to watch it!!!!

For us fans, Christmas came 2 days early. Gonna be a fun week.

Vic Petro
06-24-2009, 02:07 AM
In a podcast with Bill Simmons, who has advocated trading Parker before, they were of the opinion that Tony will never be as valuable as he is right now and his trade value is at an absolute maximum. So getting a young, defensive-minded, pass first PG along with an all-star 2-guard on an expiring deal might be enticing.

I think that's the rationale, albeit a retarded one.

EricB
06-24-2009, 02:08 AM
It's for the good of the league so we can see Boston/LA again.

Yeah pretty much.

I would appreciate if the ESPNites that love their coasts would try and throttle back the bias just a tick.

SenorSpur
06-24-2009, 02:08 AM

Camby because of his shotblocking and rebounding prowess. Has a glass body though.

SenorSpur
06-24-2009, 02:11 AM
In a podcast with Bill Simmons, who has advocated trading Parker before, they were of the opinion that Tony will never be as valuable as he is right now and his trade value is at an absolute maximum. So getting a young, defensive-minded, pass first PG along with an all-star 2-guard on an expiring deal might be enticing.

I think that's the rationale, albeit a retarded one.

They also claimed that they don't see the Spurs keeping 4 players with 8-figure salaries on the squad for the duration - simply because historically they've not done so.

Mark in Austin
06-24-2009, 02:11 AM

yep. pretty dumb.

it was a BS trade... literally. They came up with it during Ford's appearence on Bill Simmons' BS report... on BSPN, naturally. :lol

Although if they did get Allen they absolutley, positively have to bring back Bowen just for the comedic potential...

buttsR4rebounding
06-24-2009, 02:26 AM
yep. pretty dumb.

it was a BS trade... literally. They came up with it during Ford's appearence on Bill Simmons' BS report... on BSPN, naturally. :lol

Although if they did get Allen they absolutley, positively have to bring back Bowen just for the comedic potential...

...just to guard him in practice...

toki9
06-24-2009, 02:49 AM
Chad Ford getting weird:

Chad Ford also mentioned that Rajon Rondo seems to be on the trading block due to chemistry issues in the locker room, that Rondo is difficult and hard to coach, just as he was in Kentucky (anyone else hear about that?).

xellos88330
06-24-2009, 02:57 AM
I am not too knowledgable as other basketball fans. Even I know that trading Parker for Rondo is absolutely ridiculous. Rondo can't carry a team as TP has shown he can. Granted, Rondo is improving, but why fix a position that isn't broken?

sabar
06-24-2009, 03:01 AM
Spurs are lucky that the owner is in construction, because that is one of the few businesses that are strong during bad economic times. A recession won't make the government stop making bridges/roads/public buildings.

angelbelow
06-24-2009, 03:02 AM
is it possible that we might buy an available pick rather than trading into the first round?

draft87
06-24-2009, 03:11 AM
lol If that was the case. He wouldn't take up any of our MLE correc? Wouldn't he be paid the rookie scale ?

i would say yes, but i can't find the guidelines. the scola trade and eventual contract was confusing. i'm sure there were additional factors since he was drafted so many years prior to the trade and a 2nd rd pick, but didn't he get a really sweet deal from houston right away?

i remember reading that nba teams are limited to paying $500,000 of the foreign player's contract buyout and that had goran dragic been a 1st rd pick phoenix practically wouldn't have been able to sign him because of the rookie pay grade. dragic actually benefitted from being a late pick-he signed for a relatively large deal to compensate him for his european buyout.

that being said, although splitter was a late 1st not a lottery pick i'm still not sure we can sign him given the guidelines i'm inferring from the different reports i've read on other teams' situations. 1-pretty sure splitter got a really big deal in europe 2-we can't pay much of his buyout 3-we might not be able to give him a big enough contract under CBA 4-even if we did it might kill the cap 5- even if we did it'd be a really big risk

draft87
06-24-2009, 03:15 AM
lol. wat a dumbass. Why trade a point guard in his prime for a person that will retire in a few years and a pg that cant shoot?

no more tp would be tough to swallow but simmons' point on his trade value is valid. also the shooting pg arguement- come on now......

draft87
06-24-2009, 03:21 AM
yep. pretty dumb.

right on about bowen/allen. and EVERY SINGLE GAME BROADCAST would dedicate at least 4 minutes to commentors(and color)discussing their history, interviews with both of them, archive footage, etc

btw did you hear bruce admit wrongdoing on rome is burning regarding the allen kick? bb is the man, really hope we pull a barry with this one. if we make all these moves that everyone's anticipating we're gonna need a few roster fillers at minimum contracts. bring him back and keep some order in the locker room and the practices intense.

did sam cassell ever formally apologize to rondo before he signed with boston?

Bruno
06-24-2009, 03:38 AM
Holt letting Spurs going quite deep in the luxury tax territory is a big but very pleasant surprise.
The Draft and the rest of the offseason will be damn fun to watch. :elephant

Kamnik
06-24-2009, 03:45 AM
Man... the news are getting better and better!

polandprzem
06-24-2009, 03:51 AM
Holt letting Spurs going quite deep in the luxury tax territory is a big but very pleasant surprise.
The Draft and the rest of the offseason will be damn fun to watch. :elephant

Well the FO needs to fill the gap that was during the playoffs when the spurs were not playing.

tomtom
06-24-2009, 07:02 AM
thanks... very intriguing

Ocotillo
06-24-2009, 07:14 AM
That's no pimp........

that's this year's front runner for NBA Executive of the Year......:king

JWest596
06-24-2009, 07:28 AM
It's do or die time. You don't waste the few career years left for Tim Duncan and Manu(?).

You can't rebuild, retool or develop. Tim's got 2 or three years left.

To be honest, I'm shocked they've gone this deep into the luxury tax. Whether they do or not remains to be seen because this is the Spurs, one of the most fiscally minded and managed teams in the NBA.

Who knows what's next, with that sneaky close to the vest, CIA front office, there's more coming. It's gong to be a wild off season and an interesting team when training camp comes around.

Very very uncharacteristic Spurs FO from the past. Sneaky spy like bastards.

coyotes_geek
06-24-2009, 07:39 AM
is it possible that we might buy an available pick rather than trading into the first round?

Entirely possible. In RC's interview about the RJ trade he talked about how the current economic situation created an "opportunity" for them, and then he went on to say how other "opportunities" might be available in the draft. It sure sounded to me like they're going to try to get into the 1st round.

ginobilized
06-24-2009, 09:21 AM
Exciting seems to be the overarching theme of RC's discourse.
That's a nice change to these "boring" Spurs.

What do y'all make of his statement about adding a defensive stopper at the wing position to replace Bruce?
Who could that be? Draft pick, Euro player, FA?

robert1886
06-24-2009, 09:26 AM
the twolves now have 4 1st round picks.....but more than likely they will end up with 3 by trading one of their lottery pick with a late round to move to the 2 spot...but they will still have another late 1st round pick...maybe we can get that one... who else do you think will be willing to get rid of 1st round pick?

Cant_Be_Faded
06-24-2009, 09:38 AM

That's what I was telling pego at work when we were mad texting about the jefferson trade. It just seems too risky to me to deplete the entire front court like that unless they knew they had an ace in the hole.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-24-2009, 09:42 AM
7.6 after July 1st. Mason and Bonner might work after July 1st. Marcus Williams may have to be included.

After July 1, Mason and Bonner would work within the provisions of the CBA on trades for Camby.

bigdog
06-24-2009, 09:44 AM
Is there any chance that the stuff RC said is a smokescreen for something else? I mean, I don't know what it would be a smokescreen for, because he pretty much mentioned all possibilities, which included "opportunities" in the draft, FA, more trades AND bringing over players from overseas.

benefactor
06-24-2009, 10:23 AM
Very exciting interview from R.C. He seems to indicate the Spurs frugal ways are now going to have to go by the wayside if they plan to be in contention for the last few seasons of the Tim Duncan era....and he is absolutely right.

I think we have a big week ahead. :tu

Ya Vez
06-24-2009, 10:28 AM
Dick Vitale was just on ESPN discussing the upcoming NBA draft but he added that the Spurs got an early Christmas gift and this is going to be a championship year for the Spurs..

bigdog
06-24-2009, 10:29 AM
Dick Vitale was just on ESPN discussing the upcoming NBA draft but he added that the Spurs got an early Christmas gift and this is going to be a championship year for the Spurs..

I love Dick Vitale. Good guy, and I like what he said :lobt:

tmtcsc
06-24-2009, 10:30 AM
Chad Ford also mentioned that Rajon Rondo seems to be on the trading block due to chemistry issues in the locker room, that Rondo is difficult and hard to coach, just as he was in Kentucky (anyone else hear about that?).

Yes, I heard the same thing. It's amazing that some of the national media didn't hear those rumors. Rondo's biggest problem is that he doesn't listen and pretty much does what he wants to do out on the floor. -- Not very coachable. That's why the other players wouldn't be sorry to see him go.

As for Allen, the guy is a specialist and past his prime. He can hit big shots for you but his salary is enormous for what he gives you on a nightly basis.

DPG21920
06-24-2009, 10:46 AM
I know people do not like him and he is overrated as a defender (1on1), but Camby, if healthy would be a sick addition. Perfect imo. He can alter shots and rebound like a champ. He can still run the floor and has the ability to hit some 15 foot jumpers.

Even though he is not a great one on one defender, with Tim manning the paint, Camby's skills would be magnified (think how Kidd magnifies people's numbers on offense). It is risky because of Camby's health issues, but what a gamble it would be. Plus, if he is injured, he expires and the Spurs have him off the books next year.

DaBears
06-24-2009, 11:01 AM
I know this is a quick change a topic but do the spurs still have Vaughn under contract. Drew gooden where does he fall in this puzzle keep him or is he opting out. I thought i heard him mention he'd like to be here for a while that night here arrived here. From the outside looking in i still say Spurs need a backup PG Hill is not that type of player and has limited offense. Second i Say a Bigman is needed as well. if i had too choice what to go after i would say another bigman would be a priority.

bigdog
06-24-2009, 11:06 AM
I know this is a quick change a topic but do the spurs still have Vaughn under contract. Drew gooden where does he fall in this puzzle keep him or is he opting out. I thought i heard him mention he'd like to be here for a while that night here arrived here. From the outside looking in i still say Spurs need a backup PG Hill is not that type of player and has limited offense. Second i Say a Bigman is needed as well. if i had too choice what to go after i would say another bigman would be a priority.

Vaughn will not be under contract when Free Agency comes around, and will, in all likelyhood, not be back.

Drew Gooden's contract is also expiring at the start of FA, so he doesn't have to "opt out" of anything. There is a chance the Spurs want to keep him, but there is also a chance they will let him walk.

Brazil
06-24-2009, 11:16 AM
Vaughn will not be under contract when Free Agency comes around, and will, in all likelyhood, not be back.

Drew Gooden's contract is also expiring at the start of FA, so he doesn't have to "opt out" of anything. There is a chance the Spurs want to keep him, but there is also a chance they will let him walk.

If with all these trades / rumors / spurs FO being crazy good etc.. Vaughn is still there next year :bang

DaBears
06-24-2009, 11:19 AM
Thinking out loud here but would anyone be opposed to i dont say a packaged deal that would involve Matt Bonner and 1 of the 2nd rd draft picks the spurs have for a quailty bigman..

Yuixafun
06-24-2009, 11:47 AM
Spurs are lucky that the owner is in construction, because that is one of the few businesses that are strong during bad economic times. A recession won't make the government stop making bridges/roads/public buildings.

Yea remember reading somewhere San Antonio was on of the few cities that was not impacted by the recession, deemed 'recession proof economy.'

tp2021
06-24-2009, 12:23 PM
His age helps us transition our team into a new era...

DPG21920
06-24-2009, 02:48 PM
What the heck did he mean when he said "be happy Friday"???