PDA

View Full Version : Try as they might, the only team stopping the Lakers next season is the Lakers

DrHouse
06-24-2009, 12:20 AM
I hop online today and see a wild flurry of trade action. Exuberant fans rejoicing that their teams are making moves.

In the end none of it matters. Outside of the Celtics no team has the personnel and more importantly the defense to stop the Lakers.

The triple tower onslaught is just too much for teams to handle. That's how you win rings and multiple championships, by dominating the interior. And it's exactly what the Lakers do best. With internal improvements of Bynum, Ariza, and Brown the Lakers look to be even stronger next year than they were this year. All without making a single move other than resigning their core players.

And that's the beauty of being a Laker fan right now. Our team ain't gotta do shit to stay at the top. And stay on top they will.

:lobt2:

xellos88330
06-24-2009, 12:25 AM
I think Phil Jackson learned the triple tower thing from Popovich. Robinson, Duncan, Purdue

ChumpDumper
06-24-2009, 12:28 AM
The Jefferson trade made me pee myself a little.

lefty
06-24-2009, 12:29 AM
Now I understand where the Bucks are coming from.

I would gladly trade 1 DrHouse for 3 Sequspur

Spursfan092120
06-24-2009, 12:29 AM
T1rZBxn3Zx8

Ditty
06-24-2009, 12:32 AM
lol at ariza and odom being back

if both of them aint back they have no chance

KSeal
06-24-2009, 12:32 AM
lol no chance

gaKNOW!blee
06-24-2009, 12:46 AM
worried forum.

ezau
06-24-2009, 12:55 AM
When Dr. House starts a thread, that means he's scared and threatened

mavs>spurs2
06-24-2009, 01:01 AM
DrHouse I'm just curious how old are you?

z0sa
06-24-2009, 01:05 AM
you constantly feel insecure and threatened and that's why you're on a spurs forum trolling forum

LeBronMVPjames
06-24-2009, 01:07 AM
Cavs Will Stomp em

DrHouse
06-24-2009, 01:15 AM
Oh God we've been through this before.

I remember all of this same chatter when Roger Mason was signed. Spur fan was on here saying how Laker fans were scared and all of that bullshit.

As long as Phil Jackson is coaching the Lakers I will never be scared of the Spurs. He owns Popovich in head to head matchups 3-1 and straight clowned him in the '08 playoffs.

If the Spurs show me a frontcourt then I'll pay attention. But as long as they keep adding wing players I couldn't care less.

NewcastleKEG
06-24-2009, 01:19 AM
No Yao
No Garnett
No Ginobili

In last seasons postseason says it all.

mavs>spurs2
06-24-2009, 01:21 AM

I remember all of this same chatter when Roger Mason was signed. Spur fan was on here saying how Laker fans were scared and all of that bullshit.

As long as Phil Jackson is coaching the Lakers I will never be scared of the Spurs. He owns Popovich in head to head matchups 3-1 and straight clowned him in the '08 playoffs.

If the Spurs show me a frontcourt then I'll pay attention. But as long as they keep adding wing players I couldn't care less.

Seriously dude how old are you? I'm willing to bet anything you're 17

DrHouse
06-24-2009, 01:22 AM
Seriously dude how old are you? I'm willing to bet anything you're 17

Says the boy with the Cornholio avatar :lmao

DrHouse
06-24-2009, 01:23 AM
Wrong. The Lakers have still not proven they can beat a healthy Spurs team before the RJ trade. The 2008 Lakers team would not have come close to beating the Spurs had Manu been healthy. 4 different times in that series the Spurs were up 20 points on the Lakers and when it was Manu's turn to keep the team going while Parker and/or Duncan took a rest he only delievered once with a Manu like game (That was the game the Spurs won quite easily)

Also had Brent Barry made that shot or gotten the foul called the Spurs would have tied the series up with momentum.

If they Spurs make a couple more strong moves this offseason, such as signing Sheed. Then the Spurs will be a top 3 team in the NBA. But I won't say they will have a top 3 record. This team is still built for the playoffs.

:lmao

Spurs lost in the 1st round to the Dallas Mavericks :lmao.

Lakers are 2009 NBA CHAMPIONS :lobt2:

Phil Jackson is 3-1 against Pop lifetime :bking

The Lakers have NOTHING to fear from the Spurs. They are old, washed up, and on their last legs. Duncan and Ginobili ain't what they used to be, ain't what they used to be, ain't what they used to be.

mavs>spurs2
06-24-2009, 01:47 AM

How old are you? Why is this such a tough question to answer?

iggypop123
06-24-2009, 02:21 AM
all people are saying is that now the spurs are legit contenders not some washed up one and done team. the lakers are still better but should make for great games. nobody can guard parker but then again nobody can guard kobe on that team. kobe destroyed mason when they played. bring in hill who can defend but is too small(height and strength) and it does nothing.

spursfan1000
06-24-2009, 02:25 AM
I would of never guessed a Lakers fan made this thread..

v2freak
06-24-2009, 02:52 AM

You understand it takes one to know one? It's not a silly playground comeback. mavs<spurs may be young as you insinuate, but you pretty much revealed that you are either a.) equally young b.) an old guy who has very little to do everyday or c.) immature anyway you cut it. :)

JamStone
06-24-2009, 04:41 AM
So what if Phil Jackson decides his health can't take the rigors of another NBA season?

xellos88330
06-24-2009, 04:57 AM
I wouldn't be too cocky DrHouse. There is alot more off season to go. If the Spurs make one more big move (there are alot of indications that there will be), the Lakers will be in some serious trouble. They would HAVE to get Odom, and Ariza back and hope for a favor or two from another team.

KSeal
06-24-2009, 05:13 AM
I wouldn't be too cocky DrHouse. There is alot more off season to go. If the Spurs make one more big move (there are alot of indications that there will be), the Lakers will be in some serious trouble. They would HAVE to get Odom, and Ariza back and hope for a favor or two from another team.

This is so retarded. So if the Lakers keep Odom and Ariza they'll still have to make two big moves to keep up with the Spurs signing 35 year old Rasheed Wallace, ok. Lakers don't have to do anything if they resign both players and they'll be the favorites by far to win the West. Who else would the Lakers need if they have Kobe, Gasol, Odom, Bynum and Ariza?

z0sa
06-24-2009, 06:53 AM
rj > ariza, sheed > bynum, tim > gasol, odom won't be back, kobe and manu arent far apart

only person we don't have out of that is sheed, but you can replace Gooden or even mcdyess and get similar results compared with Bynum...

afireinside20
06-24-2009, 06:56 AM
rj > ariza, sheed > bynum, tim > gasol, odom won't be back, kobe and manu arent far apart

only person we don't have out of that is sheed, but you can replace gooden or even mcdyess and get similar results compared with bynum...

word

florige
06-24-2009, 07:05 AM
:lmao Poor Lakers fans panicking already and the damn season hasn't even started yet. It's funny because you guys say "we aren't worried" yet you guys have started most of the threads in here since the trade yesterday. But you "aren't worried".....:lmao

afireinside20
06-24-2009, 07:20 AM

Awww cmon House, surely you must have been shitting bricks sometime in 03 lol

And yea sure you can say what you want on the head to head matchups, but the Spurs still have more offseason to go, where they can acquire even more pieces. So say what you want about the Lakers, since they are the "champs" for now. Next year though, be ready to have that uneasy feeling in your stomach again, because the Spurs are coming for that title.

spursfan09
06-24-2009, 08:18 AM
You shouldn't be scared of the RJ trade....

You should be scared that Manu and Tim will be healthy next year and play the way they are known for playing.

DrHouse
06-24-2009, 09:02 AM
Manu will be healthy? :lmao

tlongII
06-24-2009, 09:51 AM
Sorry House, but your Lakers don't have enough size to deal with us.

Muser
06-24-2009, 10:27 AM
Nothing new here, move on.

TheManFromAcme
06-24-2009, 10:31 AM
You shouldn't be scared of the RJ trade....

You should be scared that Manu and Tim will be healthy next year and play the way they are known for playing.

I just think Doc House is just poking at you guys. Harmless stuff.
On a serious note; No doubt that a healthy Manu, Tim and Parker unit is still a formidable core group. RJ is going to help a whole lot more than I think people are willing to admit. It's the Spurs interior that needs addressing. R.C. will work something out for sure. I am in the camp that still thinks S.A. has a run or two in them and when I mean "a run" I am talking about making it deep into the playoffs. I don't know if Manu is going to be the gung-ho slashing warrior he's known to be but we are talking about Manu here. The man is capable of so much. And who knows; Manu may sacrafice it all just for one more run at glory.

To write off the Spurs at this particular moment in time is nuts. You guys will contend next year for sure. I Just think the Lakers are at another level. One thing is for sure....gotta have the same or almost the same group back.

I am just hoping for some good games between us.

Time will tell.

spursfan09
06-24-2009, 10:40 AM
I just think Doc House is just poking at you guys. Harmless stuff.
On a serious note; No doubt that a healthy Manu, Tim and Parker unit is still a formidable core group. RJ is going to help a whole lot more than I think people are willing to admit. It's the Spurs interior that needs addressing. R.C. will work something out for sure. I am in the camp that still thinks S.A. has a run or two in them and when I mean "a run" I am talking about making it deep into the playoffs. I don't know if Manu is going to be the gung-ho slashing warrior he's known to be but we are talking about Manu here. The man is capable of so much. And who knows; Manu may sacrafice it all just for one more run at glory.

To write off the Spurs at this particular moment in time is nuts. You guys will contend next year for sure. I Just think the Lakers are at another level. One thing is for sure....gotta have the same or almost the same group back.

I am just hoping for some good games between us.

Time will tell.

:tu

Some great games I bet to be played

I am just being totally optimistic about Ginobili's health. He's the x-factor. Even a healthy TD might not be enough. Just too many good teams.

TheManFromAcme
06-24-2009, 10:54 AM
:tu

Some great games I bet to be played

I am just being totally optimistic about Ginobili's health. He's the x-factor. Even a healthy TD might not be enough. Just too many good teams.

Given the appropriate regiment, I think he'll be o.k. Going to have to keep on eye out on Tim's knees though.

ulosturedge
06-24-2009, 10:55 AM
House makes it seem like the Lakers steam rolled over every team all the way to the Championship. I really don't see the dominance that House presumes to think this Laker roster has over every other team. They were exposed time and time again through out their whole playoff run. The only difference was better coaching and more veteran experience.

You guys haven't even resigned Odom or Ariza. How about you let the offseason play out first before you crown yourself 2010 champs already lol. Not to mention you never know how the season will unfold. As if the Lakers are immuned to any ill-fortune that alot of the other teams experienced the past year.

TheManFromAcme
06-24-2009, 10:57 AM

Is Oden still taking his Geritol? :downspin:

IronMexican
06-24-2009, 10:57 AM
I can't wait for Football season to start. The only bad thing about that is being a Raider fan.

TheManFromAcme
06-24-2009, 11:01 AM
House makes it seem like the Lakers steam rolled over every team all the way to the Championship. I really don't see the dominance that House presumes to think this Laker roster has over every other team. They were exposed time and time again through out their whole playoff run. The only difference was better coaching and more veteran experience.

You guys haven't even resigned Odom or Ariza. How about you let the offseason play out first before you crown yourself 2010 champs already lol. Not to mention you never know how the season will unfold. As if the Lakers are immuned to any ill-fortune that alot of the other teams experienced the past year.

You make a valid point. Much can happen between now and November. The Houston series, of all the series, was the one that exposed some issues. We were extremely fortunate, aside from Bynum who really wasn't 100% this playoff run, not to have injuries. Health equates to deep runs. Blockbuster trades are worthless if key guys go down.
I am with you on this though. I am not crowing my Lakers 2010 champs just yet but they will be the favorites though.

DrHouse
06-24-2009, 11:10 AM

4-1, 4-3, 4-2, 4-1

Pretty solid run right there. And this Laker team is only going to get better next season.

mavs>spurs2
06-24-2009, 11:12 AM
4-1, 4-3, 4-2, 4-1

Pretty solid run right there. And this Laker team is only going to get better next season.

Hey how old are you?

DPG21920
06-24-2009, 11:59 AM
1) Spurs fans are way off on this. The RJ move was fantastic, but in and of itself meaningless. Spurs are still far behind the Lakers. If the Spurs address their PF/C needs with legit talent, then they will be close to equal ground.

But the Lakers are still #1 in talent by far. If the Lakers lose Odom or Ariza, then the gap closes and the edge can go to the Spurs. But as things stand right now, there is not another move (signing or trading for a center) that would catapult the Spurs ahead of the Lakers if they re-sign everyone. They can get close to matching them depending on the other moves, but not clearly overtake them.

2) Spurs have a lot more questions than just signing talent. Tim and Manu have to be healthy in order for any of this to matter. The Lakers do not have those health questions.

3) Gino about equal to Kobe? GTFO.

LeBronMVPjames
06-24-2009, 02:37 PM
LA is above all other teams right now!

Hooks
06-24-2009, 03:02 PM
The Rockets Took you to game 7 without their best big man-Yao Ming you struggled to beat them, good luck when McGrady finally comes back and Ming is healthy.

Ya'll almost lost to Denver, if they had made their free throws they would've won that series. Luckily they were idiots and your team advanced.

You played the Magic in the Finals, although they got Nelson back he was a shell of his former self. Remember what happened in the Regular season? The Magic made your team their Bitches.

The Celtics lost Garnett due to an injury, they took Magic to game 7 without Garnett. Had Garnett been healthy they would've owned your team like they did last year.

And now teams are reloading, getting WAAAAY better. Good luck guarding RJ, Manu, Parker, TD and we aren't even done yet.

You're talking as if you beat the best of the best, when in fact you didn't beat shit. The only reason your team won was because everyone was injured this year.

The_Game
06-24-2009, 03:08 PM
Lakers are the favourites, spurs adding RJ doesn't change anything...just means Spurs are a top 2/3 team in the west rather than just a top 5 team

Killakobe81
06-24-2009, 03:09 PM
Let's be honest here people. Many here on this site and on this thread ...have opined that Witha a healthy Manu, Yao or KG the Lakers would have been beaten.
Lucky for you your GM's DO NOt agree with your short sighted views. IF your team was a healthy MANU aways why trade for RJ? Why are the Celts shopping Ray?
The other teams are afraid, not the LAkers ...
Look nothing is promised to the LAkers next year and we still have not re-signed our key guys but if we do and we can stay realtively healthy we have to be the favorites. The Spurs will be tough they always are ...but I like our chances ...

Killakobe81
06-24-2009, 03:14 PM
The Rockets Took you to game 7 without their best big man-Yao Ming you struggled to beat them, good luck when McGrady finally comes back and Ming is healthy.

Ya'll almost lost to Denver, if they had made their free throws they would've won that series. Luckily they were idiots and your team advanced.

You played the Magic in the Finals, although they got Nelson back he was a shell of his former self. Remember what happened in the Regular season? The Magic made your team their Bitches.

The Celtics lost Garnett due to an injury, they took Magic to game 7 without Garnett. Had Garnett been healthy they would've owned your team like they did last year.

And now teams are reloading, getting WAAAAY better. Good luck guarding RJ, Manu, Parker, TD and we aren't even done yet.

You're talking as if you beat the best of the best, when in fact you didn't beat shit. The only reason your team won was because everyone was injured this year.

Whatever makes you feel good about a 1st round sweep ...Look i like your confidence in your team but no need discredit what the LAkers did. I could whine that Stern gave you your last title by suspending Amare etc. SO you guys failed to beat the best of the best either, last year David West was hurt and it took 7 games to beat them.

Playing what if games are for losers ...sore ones at that. The record shows the lakers lost 8 games and won 16 to capture their 15th title everything else is just losers trying to cope with the truth that for 2009 the Lakers were the best team in the NBA ...

JamStone
06-24-2009, 03:14 PM
It's not necessarily about "fearing a team." Who were the Lakers afraid of when they traded for Gasol? Did they have to be afraid of another team to trade for him? Sometimes, moves are made because they make the team better. The really good teams in the league continually try to get better, even when they win. Richard Jefferson doesn't address the size mismatch against the Lakers. The Spurs acquired RJ because he makes them better, not because they are afraid of the Lakers. Were they afraid of Trevor Ariza and that's why they got a small forward? Come on. Some moves are made and designed to make a team better and not necessarily a reaction out of fear of another team.

mytespurs
06-24-2009, 03:31 PM
Let's be honest here people. Many here on this site and on this thread ...have opined that Witha a healthy Manu, Yao or KG the Lakers would have been beaten.
Lucky for you your GM's DO NOt agree with your short sighted views. IF your team was a healthy MANU aways why trade for RJ? Why are the Celts shopping Ray?
The other teams are afraid, not the LAkers ...
Look nothing is promised to the LAkers next year and we still have not re-signed our key guys but if we do and we can stay realtively healthy we have to be the favorites. The Spurs will be tough they always are ...but I like our chances ...

I don't think the issue is so much "fear" as teams know that they have to improve to compete with the Lakers. I think most fans here know or should know the Lakers are right now the team to beat...despite all the schoolyard "my team is better than yours" blather that goes back and forth.

The Spurs are 2 years removed from a championship I would tend to think that the Spurs like winning championships and will do or attempt to do what it takes to get there again.

Kobe™
06-24-2009, 03:32 PM
amen.

xellos88330
06-24-2009, 03:37 PM
It's not necessarily about "fearing a team." Who were the Lakers afraid of when they traded for Gasol? Did they have to be afraid of another team to trade for him? Sometimes, moves are made because they make the team better. The really good teams in the league continually try to get better, even when they win. Richard Jefferson doesn't address the size mismatch against the Lakers. The Spurs acquired RJ because he makes them better, not because they are afraid of the Lakers. Were they afraid of Trevor Ariza and that's why they got a small forward? Come on. Some moves are made and designed to make a team better and not necessarily a reaction out of fear of another team.

Nice take!!!

Killakobe81
06-24-2009, 03:41 PM

Agreed fear is a poor wording choice but used here by others ..i just used piggy-backed on that comment.
I'm just stating that we are the champs they need to matchup with us, and if health was all that was needed by teh Spurs and others then why the need for a deal ? Yes you want to get better but it's still a business ...ading RJ's salary means they realize they need more firepower to topple Lakers

Unforgivable
06-24-2009, 03:45 PM
lol House refusing to answer M>S's question.

TheManFromAcme
06-24-2009, 03:45 PM
Congrats to the Spurs for picking up one of many hopefully good pickups to get this little rivalry going again. That's all I am hoping for. Besides, what fun would it be for me, Laker-guy, to live here in S.A. and not have fun to bash and get bashed. It's all good. :toast

TheManFromAcme
06-24-2009, 03:50 PM
I don't think the issue is so much "fear" as teams know that they have to improve to compete with the Lakers. I think most fans here know or should know the Lakers are right now the team to beat...despite all the schoolyard "my team is better than yours" blather that goes back and forth.

The Spurs are 2 years removed from a championship I would tend to think that the Spurs like winning championships and will do or attempt to do what it takes to get there again.

That's why to say they are completely done is just plain stupid. They won a LOB 24 months ago. Sure, more mileage on these guys but a seasoned core nonetheless. Can't overlook that.

JamStone
06-24-2009, 03:52 PM
If anything, I think the Lakers need to make some moves to improve their team. Since the Shaq-Kobe Lakers, NBA champions haven't been able to repeat. And, this Lakers team is not the same type of dominant team the Shaq-Kobe teams were. They didn't have to go through Boston or San Antonio, who could have reasonably tested them much more than the teams they faced in the playoffs. And, a Yao-less and McGrady-less Rockets team blew them out by what like 40 points in a game. While Fisher had a solid NBA finals, the Lakers would be smart to find a quicker point guard Phil or whoever coaches would actually trust with major minutes who is capable of defending the Aaron Brooks and Chris Pauls at least adequately.

There's no doubt that teams are trying to strengthen their rosters to try to match-up better to the Lakers. But, teams are always trying to get better. Like I said, the Lakers should be trying to get better too.

Banzai
06-24-2009, 03:54 PM

:rolleyes:rolleyes:rolleyes

mytespurs
06-24-2009, 03:56 PM
Agreed fear is a poor wording choice but used here by others ..i just used piggy-backed on that comment.
I'm just stating that we are the champs they need to matchup with us, and if health was all that was needed by teh Spurs and others then why the need for a deal ? Yes you want to get better but it's still a business ...ading RJ's salary means they realize they need more firepower to topple Lakers

Of course. The Spurs know they need to get better if they want to compete not only with the Lakers but the rest of the top dogs in the West.

I just don't acquaint that with "fear". I acquaint with the cost to be competivie to compete against the top team for the ultimate goal and that is to win championships.

mytespurs
06-24-2009, 03:58 PM
That's why to say they are completely done is just plain stupid. They won a LOB 24 months ago. Sure, more mileage on these guys but a seasoned core nonetheless. Can't overlook that.

We're certainly an older team and we need to get younger & better. But I don't think we're quite ready to be shipped to the scrap heap just yet. :)

DeadlyDynasty
06-24-2009, 04:22 PM
First off. Phil is 4-1, not 3-1 vs. Pop. Second off, Spurs can't count on Manu and Tim being healthy, just like we cant count on Bynum being healthy. Spurs defense is very suspect when it comes to TP, RMJ, Jefferson, and Bonner, et al. Even Timmy's no longer the force he once was on the defensive end. That's the biggest difference with the Spurs the last couple years--their defense.

Killakobe81
06-24-2009, 05:22 PM
I agree the Lakers should ALWAYS try and improve ....But I think that if Fisher and or Brown develop they along with Fisher could be enough to repeat ...Would i love a btter PG option one that could do a reasonable job of combining their strentghs? Of course ...but i think they can win again irregardless of a strong dominant PG ...the best PG that made a Conference Finals was Billups Rafer, Mo and Dfish are all limited but have trheir strengths. Unlike in College PG is overrated ...playmakers at any position means a wHOLE lot more which is why Kobe, Melo Lebron and even Turkoglu/Howard (neither were great but together the were dominant) where there as the final 4 teams ...

And i am not saying this Lakers team even with a healthy effective Bynum are as good as those Shaq/Kobe led Laker teams. But we had a young Dfish and old heads Shaw and Ron Harper at PG. Besides the BIG 2 the rest of guys were all role players And although neither gasol or Pau are close to Shaq Kobe is better now just not as athletic ...If we are healthy and hungry enough I think we repeat doubt we 3 peat (that chance was missed last year) but i think we have at least one more title left (3 FINALS runs in a row) and maybe another 1 before Kobe is done ....

As for the Spurs they can not be taken lightly even BEFORE their deal ....but it has been two straight years they have been dismissed pretty easily out of the playoffs they have to improve and their mangement sees that and are responding kudos ...
Butthe yahoos on here that make excuses about injury excuses for their losses are some of the same ones that mock the Rockets for their injuries you can't have it both ways ...you play the card that are dealt. I could also whine about hamstring injuries stoping the Riley 3peat but Pistons won no excuses ...

JamStone
06-24-2009, 05:34 PM
With the Lakers' primary concerns involve trying to find a way to keep both Odom and Ariza, they might be hard pressed to re-sign Shannon Brown, who is also an unrestricted free agent. He might not got any huge offers, but even part of the MLE might be too high for the Lakers to match if they are counting every penny to re-sign Odom and Ariza. Fisher and Farmar are serviceable. But, defending quick point guards is an issue the Lakers desperately need to address. A team that is actually really good and has a quick, young point guard would give the current Lakers team fits. The Lakers saw that with Brooks. Tony Parker on a better Spurs team would be crazy trouble for the Lakers. And if the Celtics kiss and make-up with Rondo, he would be hell for both Fisher and Farmar to contain.

Killakobe81
06-24-2009, 05:48 PM
With the Lakers' primary concerns involve trying to find a way to keep both Odom and Ariza, they might be hard pressed to re-sign Shannon Brown, who is also an unrestricted free agent. He might not got any huge offers, but even part of the MLE might be too high for the Lakers to match if they are counting every penny to re-sign Odom and Ariza. Fisher and Farmar are serviceable. But, defending quick point guards is an issue the Lakers desperately need to address. A team that is actually really good and has a quick, young point guard would give the current Lakers team fits. The Lakers saw that with Brooks. Tony Parker on a better Spurs team would be crazy trouble for the Lakers. And if the Celtics kiss and make-up with Rondo, he would be hell for both Fisher and Farmar to contain.

Agree with this but we have overcome this before ...quick PG's even in the MAgic era gave us trouble.
Bynum is the key he stays healthy we are a dominant team even with our PG limitaions we have a stronger inside game and better help vs quick PG's ...

Killakobe81
06-24-2009, 05:49 PM
Rondo is good not great evertyone slobbered on him for his 1st round series vs. Bulls but Magic series showed his flaws ...

Killakobe81
06-24-2009, 05:59 PM
Also i disagree with Jamstone a bit ...I think the Lakers feared/Respected Spurs so they had to get Gasol or they would not of been able to get past them even WITH a diminished Manu ...

DenDen
06-25-2009, 02:40 AM
I don't give a shit. the day kobe retire is the day lake ain't winning shit no more..

Spur-Addict
06-25-2009, 11:32 AM
This thread is looking worse and worse by the day. :lol

mingus
06-25-2009, 11:51 AM
what's with all this "fear" bullshit ?

the Lakers don't fear the Spurs and the Spurs don't fear the Lakers. both teams have got the best of each other over the years at least twice (LA winning 4 times, and the Spurs winning 2 times) .

the Spurs made this move to keep them in contention with not only LA but the rest of the team that were more talented than them (Denver, Portland, Cleveland, Magic, etc.).

Agloco
06-25-2009, 12:08 PM

Great,

Somewhere Jerry West just smiled. :ihit

Agloco
06-25-2009, 12:12 PM
First off. Phil is 4-1, not 3-1 vs. Pop. Second off, Spurs can't count on Manu and Tim being healthy, just like we cant count on Bynum being healthy. Spurs defense is very suspect when it comes to TP, RMJ, Jefferson, and Bonner, et al. Even Timmy's no longer the force he once was on the defensive end. That's the biggest difference with the Spurs the last couple years--their defense.

+1

Throw everything else out of the window and there you have it.

Even Dr. House had it right: Show me a good Spurs frontcourt first.

The RJeff trade helps the perimeter defense quite a bit, but the interior is nowhere near what it needs to be to make a serious run at LA.

resistanze
06-25-2009, 12:18 PM
Insecure thread of the week.

Cry Havoc
06-25-2009, 12:41 PM
+1

Throw everything else out of the window and there you have it.

Even Dr. House had it right: Show me a good Spurs frontcourt first.

The RJeff trade helps the perimeter defense quite a bit, but the interior is nowhere near what it needs to be to make a serious run at LA.

The Spurs are one post player away from having the best 1-5 lineup in basketball, maybe on offense AND defense (not counting Manu as a bench player in this regard). Seriously, if your 5th best offensive option is someone like Rasheed Wallace, what does that say about the efforts other teams are going to have to make to stop San Antonio? If the offense scores a lot, it gives our defense a chance to get back and run our half court set, which is much better than our transition defense.

BlackBellamy
06-25-2009, 01:21 PM
Uhhgh, I'm sorry Champ. I think I ate your chocolate squirrel.

DrHouse
06-25-2009, 01:31 PM
The Spurs are one post player away from having the best 1-5 lineup in basketball, maybe on offense AND defense (not counting Manu as a bench player in this regard). Seriously, if your 5th best offensive option is someone like Rasheed Wallace, what does that say about the efforts other teams are going to have to make to stop San Antonio? If the offense scores a lot, it gives our defense a chance to get back and run our half court set, which is much better than our transition defense.

Tim Duncan and Ginobili are not the players they one were. TD is not even the best PF in the game anymore. Stop living in the past.

urunobili
06-25-2009, 01:43 PM
Insecure thread of the week.

BlackBellamy
06-25-2009, 01:53 PM
Tim Duncan and Ginobili are not the players they one were. TD is not even the best PF in the game anymore. Stop living in the past.

in response to...
Manu Ginobili: He has battled against injury for one full and one post season, I don't understand how this signals his doom. I think the best way to value a player is by interest other teams would show if he were on the chopping block. Any team in the league would snatch him up at the salary he maintains on the Spurs, and consider it a steal. I might end up totally wrong in assuming that he will rebound from injury, but it remains to be seen either way. One just can't base an argument on whether he's done or not, it's just waxing weak hypothetical.

Tim Duncan: What's so different about Timmy's game? He put up virtually the same numbers last year as he had for the length of his career. If he at some point was the best PF in the league by your understanding, why is he not now but still maintains to put up the same stats? I dunno homey.

Oh and you didn't mention the break-out of Tony Parker which is certainly a massive chunk of offensive and (small) D. And a few rising stars and pick-ups otherwise. Face it, like it or not the Spurs are taking big steps to make themselves legit again in the West.

DeadlyDynasty
06-25-2009, 01:56 PM
in response to...
Manu Ginobili: He has battled against injury for one full and one post season, I don't understand how this signals his doom. I think the best way to value a player is by interest other teams would show if he were on the chopping block. Any team in the league would snatch him up at the salary he maintains on the Spurs, and consider it a steal. I might end up totally wrong in assuming that he will rebound from injury, but it remains to be seen either way. One just can't base an argument on whether he's done or not, it's just waxing weak hypothetical.

Tim Duncan: What's so different about Timmy's game? He put up virtually the same numbers last year as he had for the length of his career. If he at some point was the best PF in the league by your understanding, why is he not now but still maintains to put up the same stats? I dunno homey.

Oh and you didn't mention the break-out of Tony Parker which is certainly a massive chunk of offensive and (small) D. And a few rising stars and pick-ups otherwise. Face it, like it or not the Spurs are taking big steps to make themselves legit again in the West.
Your boys are by no means done yet...that being said, SA isn't close to the defensive team they were in years past. Sure, the statistics might say they finished top 5, but anyone who watched b-ball this year saw that SA did not have that lockdown 4th quarter D they are known for.

BlackBellamy
06-25-2009, 02:09 PM
Your boys are by no means done yet...that being said, SA isn't close to the defensive team they were in years past. Sure, the statistics might say they finished top 5, but anyone who watched b-ball this year saw that SA did not have that lockdown 4th quarter D they are known for.

I think that our lackluster D can be summed up in, declining minutes for Bruce/ Bonner is (was, hopefully) our starting center/ general roster confusion. Ya, we just had a screwy year. Pop's rotation was all over the place. In watching the Spurs last year, one got the impression that they never really got comfortable. A few of our mainstays were benched more minutes than they had become used to sitting, and we went to our unproven players in really inappropriate moments. We had good moments last year too, for sure. All things considered, I'm not all that worried. One thing is almost certain, we will be better this year. How much (championship squad) better? You never know...