PDA

View Full Version : Harvey: Spurs are getting Bucks’ Jefferson

timvp
06-24-2009, 12:59 AM
Buck Harvey -Spurs are getting Bucks’ Jefferson
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_are_getting_Bucks_Jefferson.html

I’d thank Bruce Bowen and tell him to come back someday. Bring your No. 12, I’d tell him. We might want to display it with a few other numbers.

I’d want Fab Oberto to know how much he meant in 2007, and I’d tell Kurt Thomas he was unlucky. He twice missed playing with a healthy Manu Ginobili in the playoffs.

Then I’d do this deal — after a quick call to Tim Duncan for approval — because Richard Jefferson is worth this and more.

But that’s easy for me to say, since I won’t be paying millions in luxury tax. Peter Holt will — to the surprise of many.

This goes against the trend. When Holt isn’t looking for the public to build him an ice rink, he’s wanting a few more million for AT&T Center improvements. He hangs banners, and he also hangs on to subsidies.

Meanwhile, his front office is trading Luis Scola for cash, and none of this is enough, at least according to what the Spurs have said. They contend they lost money even in one of their title years, and now they are struggling to sell tickets in this economy.

This is going on leaguewide. Small-market teams are especially affected, such as Milwaukee. That’s why the Bucks made this trade; they needed to clear salary.

If finances didn’t matter, the Bucks would have kept Jefferson. He’s a pro. He’s always cordial, always at practice, always ready to talk to the media.

He lived in New York when he played in New Jersey. Yet he took his 20-point scoring average to Milwaukee and didn’t say a bad word.

Gregg Popovich remembers this personality from the 2004 Olympics. While Allen Iverson and others checked out on Larry Brown, Jefferson stayed true to the program.

So the Spurs know Jefferson will listen and play Popovich’s defense, and he will do so with athletic gifts unseen in the Spurs’ rotation this era. He can jump, and he can shoot the corner 3-pointer, and he can rebound for a small forward.

He’s also durable and just turned 29.

Still, he’s been solid, not elite, without a clutch gear. His stats mushroomed mostly because Jason Kidd threw lobs to him, and this past year better defined him.

Then, with both Michael Redd and Andrew Bogut injured, the Bucks wondered if Jefferson could step up. He couldn’t.

But that’s not Jefferson’s worst flaw. His contract is. The Nets gave him about twice as much as his talent is worth. He will earn just over $14 million next season — about $2 million more than Tony Parker and about $4 million more than Manu Ginobili.

Ginobili will love hearing this as he waits for the Spurs to talk to him about an extension.

But the Spurs aren’t being cheap with Ginobili, only prudent. This is how R.C. Buford has maintained some flexibility in his payroll, and how Holt has come to trust Buford to weigh value and money.

Holt doesn’t question much, and the Spurs say he didn’t dictate anything when they dealt Scola. The Spurs also insist Holt remained this way over the winter.

One story from last February: The Spurs talked about Vince Carter, who earns more than even Jefferson, and they showed the numbers to Holt. He didn’t blink.

The Spurs remained interested in Carter this month. They delayed the deal for Jefferson for two weeks to let everything play out, then added a fourth player who will earn eight figures next season.

Holt might have simply listened to Buford. Or he might have seen a worse turn for his business if the Spurs had done nothing as Duncan aged another year.

Either way, Holt will now pay millions more, even with less projected revenue, with no guarantees that Jefferson will sell even one ticket.

How many would have?

[email protected]

timvp
06-24-2009, 01:01 AM
Major props to Holt :tu

Now if Holt allows the Spurs to use all their other resources to the fullest to fill out the roster, he'll earn legend status.

Kori Ellis
06-24-2009, 01:02 AM
Good piece by Buck. Props for Peter Holt for trusting/allowing RC/Pop enough to do what they need to do.

Ditty
06-24-2009, 01:04 AM
now open your check book and get camby, rashhed, or mcdyess

Buddy Holly
06-24-2009, 01:04 AM
Holt doesn’t question much, and the Spurs say he didn’t dictate anything when they dealt Scola. The Spurs also insist Holt remained this way over the winter.

One story from last February: The Spurs talked about Vince Carter, who earns more than even Jefferson, and they showed the numbers to Holt. He didn’t blink.

Can the little fucktards now shut up?

bigdog
06-24-2009, 01:05 AM
Good job, Peter. It's about time.

I will respect Holt at a ridiculous level if he allows Pop and RC to spend more money to make the team better.

timvp

Not yet.

MannyIsGod
Harvey ends too many of his damn columns with his stupid rhetorical questions. Its so annoying.

SenorSpur
06-24-2009, 01:06 AM
Big ups to Big Pete.

I've criticized you in the past, but you really stepped up.

Buddy Holly
06-24-2009, 01:07 AM
Harvey ends too many of his damn columns with his stupid rhetorical questions. Its so annoying.

Aren't all calling cards annoying?

SenorSpur
06-24-2009, 01:09 AM
If you're gonna knock off the Fakers, you can't be afraid to move into their talent neighborhood.

EricB
06-24-2009, 01:10 AM

Now if Holt allows the Spurs to use all their other resources to the fullest to fill out the roster, he'll earn legend status.

Uh, is that not what Buck is pretty much is saying that Holt has done and has said?

EricB
06-24-2009, 01:10 AM
Good job, Peter. It's about time.

I will respect Holt at a ridiculous level if he allows Pop and RC to spend more money to make the team better.

:lol

Ok

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-24-2009, 01:11 AM

Sort of a little early for that, unless you get excited about Bonner starting next to Tim next season.

xellos88330
06-24-2009, 01:13 AM
One thing is for sure Holt, if this off season is as fruitful as RC made it sound, you can count on 3 brand new season ticket holders! Me, my wife, and my father!!!

xellos88330
06-24-2009, 01:14 AM
Not to mention, the new jerseys I will have to buy. Even a little onesie/sleeper for my daughter. I already got her a hat and cold weather cap.

SenorSpur
06-24-2009, 01:19 AM
Everybody should be sickened to their stomachs from watching the Fakers prance around celebrating their recent title. They should also remember the disgust at getting blown away by the Mavs.

If those two memories don't fuel your competitive fire and drive that championship thrust, whether you're an owner, GM, coach or fan, then.....

rayray2k8
06-24-2009, 01:20 AM
Holt spending bucks?? :wow

Blackjack
06-24-2009, 01:22 AM

+1

Holt's a class-act (which shouldn't be any kind of breking news) and his taking over of the Spurs' franchise has been one of the best things that's ever happened to this city.

For him to not be one of the richer owners in the league, yet have the humility and judgment to know his role and trust the right braintrust, well, it's something not normally seen in major-league sports.

Props and respect, Mr. Holt :toast

EricB
06-24-2009, 01:24 AM
Holt as been said many times IMO is the perfect owner.

He never bothers the FO.

He lets them do their work. When they come to him with a trade his only thing is is get value for the money wich as any business man would tell you is the prudent thing to do.

I have NEVER understood the Holt bashing, and have always understood where MR Holt has come from and have been a big fan of his ever since he took over in 1997.

SenorSpur
06-24-2009, 02:01 AM
Holt as been said many times IMO is the perfect owner.

He never bothers the FO.

He lets them do their work. When they come to him with a trade his only thing is is get value for the money wich as any business man would tell you is the prudent thing to do.

I have NEVER understood the Holt bashing, and have always understood where MR Holt has come from and have been a big fan of his ever since he took over in 1997.

Reminds me of the original Dallas Cowboys owner, Clint Murchison. His philosophy towards ownership was much the same way. Hire good, knowledgeable people and let them to their jobs. He was the quintessential "silent" owner. Never heard from. Never seen. Only provided the financial support. He was the polar opposite of the attention-getting, media-lovin' current Cowboys and Mavs owners.