PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Bowen Says San Antonio Will Always Be Home

duncan228
06-24-2009, 01:27 AM
Bowen says San Antonio will always be home (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Bowen_says_San_Antonio_will_always_be_home.html)
By Mike Monroe

Before Bruce Bowen arrived in San Antonio in the summer of 2001, signed by the Spurs as a free agent, he had played professionally in France, Rockford, Fort Wayne, Ind., then had stints in the NBA with the Miami Heat, Boston Celtics and Philadelphia 76ers.

No wonder, then, that a few hours after learning the Spurs had traded him to the Milwaukee Bucks on Tuesday, Bowen declared his intent to remain a San Antonian.

“This is home for us, and we've said this time and time before,” Bowen said at a brief news conference in the foyer of Yardley's Salon and Spa, the business he and his wife, Yardley, opened in 2008. “I wouldn't do something like this (business) and then turn around and leave as soon as my contract is up.”

Tuesday's trade wasn't a complete surprise to Bowen. He had heard last week that his name was popping up in trade rumors.

It was, nevertheless, difficult to accept.

“I don't think there's any way you can prepare for it until it actually happens,” he said. “You're aware it can take place. Being that it is a business, it's hard to take out the personal feelings when you've been somewhere so long.

“I'm not going to sugar-coat anything. It's a different day for me, because I've gone to battle with Manu (Ginobili), Tim (Duncan) and Tony (Parker), at least those guys, for the past seven and eight years. It will be different not being able to look towards things like I used to with those guys.

“That's the great part about this game: You develop relationships, and they go on off the court, as well.”

Speculation about the three-team trade that sent Bowen, and Kurt Thomas to Milwaukee, in exchange for Bucks forward Richard Jefferson, and Fabricio Oberto eventually to Detroit, with the Pistons sending forward Amir Johnson to the Bucks, includes a presumption that the Bucks will waive Bowen and the Pistons will waive Oberto. The contracts of both players are 50 percent guaranteed, giving their new teams a chance to remove about $2 million from their respective payrolls.

If the Bucks do waive Bowen, he will be free to sign with any team, but he made clear that his first choice would be to return to the Spurs, were they to offer him a contract.

“Absolutely,” he said.

And if Bowen's days in silver and black have ended, he wants to be remembered both as a player who got the most of his abilities, and a person who made his community better.

“I really appreciated the fact the Spurs allowed me to come into the community and give my testimony and be able to start programs where kids are involved,” he said. “I have a platform as an NBA player, and sometimes we don't use that. But the Spurs organization, top to bottom, have always encouraged community events.”

And if, some day, the Spurs decided to retire the No. 12 worn by an eight-time All-Defensive team selection?

“I'd like that, too,” Bowen said, “and I'd love for my family to see that number raised to the rafters.”

Bowen era

A basketball nomad from 1993-2001, Bruce Bowen signed as a free agent with the Spurs on July 31, 2001, after making the NBA's All-Defensive second team in Miami. In eight seasons, he has become a player who one day may see his jersey raised at the AT&T Center.

Of course, the Milwaukee Bucks could waive Bowen, making him eligible to essentially stay in S.A. However, if this is farewell, here's what No. 12 has done with the Spurs:

* Broken finger limits him to 59 games in his first season — the Spurs are 47-12 with him, 11-12 without him.

* When he comes back, he starts a franchise-record streak of 500 consecutive games that doesn't end until March 14, 2008, when he's suspended for a game.

* Named to NBA's All-Defensive first team from 2003-08.

* In 2002-03, he leads NBA in 3-point shooting and wins first NBA title.

* In 2004-05, he averages career-high 8.2 points per game and wins second NBA title.

* In 2006-07, he finishes runner-up for Defensive Player of the Year for the second straight season and wins third NBA title.

* Leaves second on the Spurs' all-time list for 3-pointers made (661) and attempted (1,632), trailing only Manu Ginobili (672 of 1,789).

Source: Express-News research

iilluzioN
06-24-2009, 01:28 AM
Bowen will be missed

SenorSpur
06-24-2009, 01:31 AM
My man the Rash. Much respect.

EricB
06-24-2009, 01:33 AM
I bet Bruce comes back.

If he comes to them and says I'll take the minimum, then I gaurantee Pop will want him back.

timvp
06-24-2009, 01:34 AM
If the Bucks do waive Bowen, he will be free to sign with any team, but he made clear that his first choice would be to return to the Spurs, were they to offer him a contract.

“Absolutely,” he said.Do this.

mudyez
06-24-2009, 01:37 AM
yeah....do you think, there is rea chance of him beeing bough out and coming back?

hard to see him go!

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-24-2009, 01:38 AM
Do this.

What he said.

Blackjack
06-24-2009, 01:40 AM
I really hope Bowen's given the opportunity to come back, but I'm not all that optimistic.:(

Bruce, thanks for the blood, sweat, and tears, and if this is the end?

I look forward to seeing your 12 in the rafters some day.:toast

* When he comes back, he starts a franchise-record streak of 500 consecutive games that doesn't end until March 14, 2008, when he's suspended for a game.

Yeah, CP3's bitch-ass tries to go below the belt, Bowen tries to shrug/push him off with his leg, and the streak ceases. Lame...

baseline bum
06-24-2009, 01:42 AM
RC better have that fucking contract in hand for Bruce when he gets bought out.

timtonymanu
06-24-2009, 01:45 AM
Thank you Bruce for everything! Man Bruce leaving to me is like seeing Manu, Tony, or Tim leave. I'm really sad by it, but also hopeful that Bowen isnt done with the Spurs yet. He shouldnt have to end his career with the BUCKS!!!

#12 will be rafters alongside #21, #20, and #9.

Buddy Holly
06-24-2009, 01:51 AM
I'll miss he and Sean's playfulness before and during games.

duncan228
06-24-2009, 01:56 AM
I'll miss he and Sean's playfulness before and during games.

Me too. It may sound weird, but I'm glad I got to see it in person when I saw the Spurs for the first time in March. There's not a lot of Spurs call on League Pass, so I don't get to see it much on TV. It was really fun to watch them.

Glad I got to see Bowen play too. He'll be missed (if he doesn't come back).

Mark in Austin
06-24-2009, 01:56 AM
RC better have that fucking contract in hand for Bruce when he gets bought out.

+1.

Even if he never sees a minute of game time, to have somebody there who mastered the position that can help RJ along / practice against him would make it worth it.

Chieflion
06-24-2009, 03:46 AM
He will be bought out. It all depends on the FO now.

Danny.Zhu
06-24-2009, 03:58 AM
Do this.

:toast

JWest596
06-24-2009, 07:36 AM
Bruce is in the Spurs Pantheon.
Always will be.

Thanks and his number will hang from the AT&T, it's not even a debate.

Spursmania
06-24-2009, 07:49 AM
Bucks please waive Bowen!!!

mattyc
06-24-2009, 07:57 AM
Get him back. Lovely guy.

JustSpurs
06-24-2009, 08:23 AM
Much love, Bruce!

ulosturedge
06-24-2009, 08:32 AM
Hey played a big part in our Championship runs. I got nothing but respect for the guy. Hope to see you back in the silver and black Bruce.

Das Texan
06-24-2009, 08:45 AM
I really cant see us not wanting Bruce back. There is much that can guys like George Hill can learn from Bruce anyway.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-24-2009, 09:46 AM
Bowen will be missed

For about 30 days :lol

bigdog
06-24-2009, 09:50 AM
Guys, don't worry. If the Bucks buy him out, RC already has the contract on his desk. I have no doubt in my mind that the Spurs would bring him back.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-24-2009, 09:51 AM
I refuse to accept a reality without Bowen. Please bring him back.

samikeyp
06-24-2009, 09:52 AM
what he said.

+1

hater
06-24-2009, 09:57 AM
the only way Bruce doesn't come back is if Bucks don't waive him. No chance they won't

NFGIII
06-24-2009, 10:04 AM
Speculation about the three-team trade that sent Bowen, and Kurt Thomas to Milwaukee, in exchange for Bucks forward Richard Jefferson, and Fabricio Oberto eventually to Detroit, with the Pistons sending forward Amir Johnson to the Bucks, includes a presumption that the Bucks will waive Bowen and the Pistons will waive Oberto. The contracts of both players are 50 percent guaranteed, giving their new teams a chance to remove about $2 million from their respective payrolls.

Do this.

Considering that this si a salary dump by the Bucks the chances that Bruce comes back here seem to be good. I would like to think that the FO and Pop would be all for it if the Bucks do indeed waive Bruce.

Bring him back if he's available.

:flag:

Steve-O-Matic
06-24-2009, 10:23 AM
What's the veteran minimum salary for a player with Bowen's tenure?

bigdog
06-24-2009, 10:25 AM
What's the veteran minimum salary for a player with Bowen's tenure?

I believe it's something like $1.03 million, but since Bruce is going to be 38, the NBA would pay about half of the salary.

angel_luv
06-24-2009, 10:26 AM
Bowen is a great person. I wish him all the best and would love to see him as a part of the Spurs organization.

Sissiborgo
06-24-2009, 10:28 AM
We will always remember BOWEN:fro

HarlemHeat37
06-24-2009, 11:51 AM
As I've said many times, I'd be surprised if he isn't back next year..

if it's the end, then I really hope he stays around the organization..maybe as an assistant, or at least an advisor for our younger guys coming up..maybe as a guest announcer occasionally..

Spursfan092120
06-24-2009, 12:14 PM
What he said.
what he said about what he said.